Lybrate.com has top trusted Ophthalmologists from across India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Sai Kiran MayiYour feedback matters!
I am 77 years recently diagnosed for a m d of both eyes. Wet type. What are the treatment available & how far it is successful?
Hello I am wearing number glasses for the last 6 years but there is no improvement in my eye sight , suggest me some tips.
I have a problem that when I talk with my fiance when ever it may be and also when I see any move, when a kiss or any sex related seen come and also if some one tells me that he likes me then from that time whenever I talk with him even he is my friend, there is white discharge from my vagina. So I face a lots of problems in my day today life. So please help me what should I do to overcome it. Thank you.
Doctor, I am 64 year old Man I have a problem in my eyes that when I walk up in night or in morning I feel my eyes hard and dusty (feel there is dust in my eyes) but its ok after I clean them by water please let me know the remedy.
My baby is 10mths old and he is sneezing constantly. He also has running nose. His mother had cold a day before and seems he is also affected. Could you please suggest home remedies? Or do we require to see a doctor?
Whats the basic reason behind the different colors of eye? Is there a way through which it can be altered? Any answers for this?
Age-related macular degeneration, also known in brief as AMD or ARMD is one of the most common age-related causes for vision loss. It causes “blind spots” in vision, causing difficulty in activities requiring central vision like reading, sewing, driving, watching TV, computer usage, etc.
How it happens?
The centre portion of the eye is known as retina which has a screen in the posterior portion. For proper vision, light falls on this screen and is then processed to enable ‘vision.’ When this screen is not clear, blurred vision results. It may not cause total blindness but impairs vision including double vision and loss of central vision.
Types: There are two types of AMD, wet and dry.
- Dry: There are yellow deposits known as drusen which form in the macula, and as they grow in size, they impair vision, specifically the central vision. This is the common variant and can lead to the wet form.
- Wet: There are abnormal blood vessels which are formed in the retina. There is leaking of blood and fluid which makes it ‘wet.’ There could be scarring of these leaked substances, which again leads to loss of central vision. Further studies have shown that retina produces a protein knows as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) which promotes the generation of new blood vessels, normally required for the production of new blood vessels. However, increased VEGF causes excessive proliferation of blood vessels, leading to macular degeneration.
Risk factors: Though age related, there are definitely some factors which put one at a higher risk for AMD
- Genetics: AMD is hereditary and runs in families
- Gender: Females are more prone to develop AMD than males
- Ageing: People above 60 are at greater risk
- Smoking: Direct and passive smoking contribute to AMD.
- Obesity: Accelerates the pace of AMD and severity of complications.
- Hypertension: Increases the chances of developing AMD
- Ethnicity: Caucasians are more prone to develop AMD as their lighter skin and eye color is more prone to sun damage
- Sun exposure: Increased sun exposure accelerates the onset of AMD
- No symptoms in the initial stages
- Gradually, there is impaired central vision, affecting activities like reading, driving, and computer usage
- Color perception is impaired
- A routine eye exam will reveal the yellow deposits which actually cause the condition.
- An angiography may be done after injecting a dye to detect blood vessel growth.
There is no cure, but progress can be delayed