Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Audiologists in India. You will find Audiologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Audiologists online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sagar
Submit a review for Dr. SagarYour feedback matters!
My brother 29 having minor loss of hearing. He can hear voices but cannot distinguish doctor telling nerve problem. Can it be improved with medicine or any other means.
I have hearing problem as I was using headphones all day with full volume now I can't hear properly.
Please suggest What is sensorineural hearing loss and what are the treatments available to treat it?
My balendra and my age 25 and I am loss my hear day by day please give me strong solution, how can stop my hear fall plz.
I get headaches if I sit in ac room/car. I also feel my ears get blocked and I suffer from hearing loss. This lasts for 1-2 days. Usually yawning suddenly opens up my ears and going to sleep makes me feel blocked again. What can I do to prevent my hearing if I cannot avoid ac. Is there any medicine/treatment?
Hearing is one of the five senses that you or anyone else relies on for communication and a whole host of other things. Among the five senses, touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight, it is often hearing, which is the most easily affected. You don't have to be a senior citizen to experience hearing loss as it is quite common among younger people as well. This problem is also getting widespread with each passing day.
Before coping with hearing loss, the first job is to detect it
If you have a hunch that you or any of your loved ones is suffering from hearing loss, it is important that you get it diagnosed. Some of the common symptoms of hearing loss will be:
- Hearing difficulties while talking to someone over the phone
- Straining to hear conversations with family members or friends in household situations
- People usually need to repeat what they talk to you with a louder voice
- You often hear complaints that you keep the TV too loud.
- In crowded situations, such as family gatherings or a restaurant, you have problems listening to people.
Although this condition tends to affect senior citizens, an increasing trend shows younger people i.e. people mostly in their 40 and 50s and even younger than that suffer from this condition.
How to deal with hearing loss?
Some of the options to deal with hearing loss are mentioned below.
- Once diagnosed with hearing problems, change your ways of communication: If you or your loved ones have been diagnosed with hearing problems, it is important that both adjust your ways to deal with the problem. Rather than getting angry at the other for not being able to communicate effectively, develop and strategize ways to make communication less problematic and erratic.
- Cochlear implants: This is a newer technology, which has gained popularity in the past decade or so. These are directly implanted into the inner ear and are designed to bypass the damaged areas of the ear and directly stimulate the auditory nerve. These have become very popular, although, are not a replacement of natural hearing. It is only prescribed for people who have severe hearing loss or are deaf.
- Hearing aids: Although selecting a hearing aid is difficult as the patient needs to be comfortable, once selected it is one of the best solutions for the hearing impaired. The functionality of these devices can be extended with the hearing assistive technology or HAT devices that can focus the audio waves depending on the situations and give a more tailored approach for every individual's needs.
The partial or total inability to hear is known as hearing loss. It can be present at birth or develop later in life.
There are a number of factors, which may cause hearing loss:
- Age - Age is the biggest factor when it comes to the loss of hearing, and you may lose the ability to hear as you age. This condition is known as presbycusis. It becomes difficult to understand high-frequency sounds like that of a child or a woman when you get old.
- Noise - When you are exposed to loud noises for a prolonged period of time, it damages your ears. This leads to loss of hearing. 5% of the total population of the world is affected by noise (the degree of suffering varies). It may be a result of continuous exposure to loud music or a sudden exposure to a loud noise like an explosion or fire cracker. Even too much use of ear phones and cell phones causes damage. Prevention - Use less of cell phones, disco, fire cracker, loud speaker.
- Hereditary disorders - Hearing disorder may be inherited by the dominant or recessive genes of parents in the child.
- Trauma - Serious injuries of the head/ears may cause loss of hearing, which may be either temporary or permanent. When damage is caused to the brain, the brain fails to process the message conveyed by the ears. So even if the ears are totally functional, a person may face the problem in hearing.
- Perinatal problems - The ototoxic effects on the fetus due to excess intake of alcohol during pregnancy lead to hearing the loss in about 64% of the infants born to alcoholic mothers. Also, premature birth can be associated with hearing loss due to high risk of being exposed to noise in neonatal units.
- Diseases of ear - Specially pus discharge damages eardrum and hearing bones. Some time also damages the nerve of hearing. Do not neglect this issue. It can be easily operated and you are safe.
Knowing about the causes of hearing loss can lead you a step closer to preventing this disorder.
- Aging effect can be prevented --- by taking nerve tonics, avoiding ototoxic drugs, and avoiding noise trauma. If hearing loss has set in best is to use hearing aid prescribed by authentic person.
- Be more aware -- You should be diligent and aware of the situations, which may risk your hearing ability and should try to avoid such situations as much as possible. Limit your exposure to sources of hazardous noises like firearms, firecrackers, concerts and pubs.
- Take precautionary measures -- If your occupation calls for working at an environment of loud noises, use earplugs or earmuffs. Also, make sure that you work in a place where employers take all the necessary measures of noise control under the federal or state regulations.
- Monitor your use of gadgets --- Monitor and control the use of hearing devices, and try to reduce the use of headphones/ earphones as much as possible.
- During pregnancy -- NO to alcohol smoking and other ototoxic medicines. To prevent genetic transfer of hearing loss, one should avoid marriage in close relatives as is done in south India and mohmadden community.
- Visit the Dr. --- For proper management of hearing loss asap. hearing loss is treatable or can be taken care !! In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Your hearing is one of the most important function your body carries out and sometimes you realize that you are losing your sense of hearing, when it is too late to get it back. There are two main reasons for this. One of the reasons is age and the other is when the inner ear's hair cells break down and do not pick up sound well.
Here are 7 ways to safeguard your hearing:
- Try to avoid loud places: It is not advisable to go to places where you have to shout to be heard, such as in a street, a concert or a construction site.
- Buy low noise rating equipment: The equipments in your house will make sound that you hear the most. Try to avoid these equipments by buying appliances with a low noise rating.
- Wear hearing protection at loud places: However, it is true that it is not always possible to avoid loud noises. This is when you need to get hearing protection. Earplugs and earmuffs are two of the best ways to make sure that even when you are in a loud place, your hearing does not get affected. Earplugs and earmuffs generally reduce sound by 15 to 30 decibels, which may be crucial to make sure that later in your life, you do not lose your hearing.
- Avoid smoke: Smoking raises your chance of hearing loss. Second hand smoke does the same thing. Therefore, try to avoid, both smoking and secondhand smoking.
- Remove earwax properly: Earwax cannot be removed properly using a cotton swab. Instead, you should use an irrigation kit. Remember this as otherwise; the earwax could muffle your hearing.
- Avoid medications which reduce hearing: Certain medications increase hearing loss. Therefore, double check with your doctor to make sure your medicines will not make you lose your hearing.
- Get your hearing tested: Finally, get your hearing tested as identifying the problem early on can help stop worsen the situation. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!