Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best ENT Specialists online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. S Prasanthi
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. S PrasanthiYour feedback matters!
just recently notice that I have dryness problem and itching too on my scalp and my ears. It seems like a fungus so is there any remedy for that?
I had a block in my left ear 6 months back, and experienced severe vertigo. It got cured. Later after 1 month I had severe vertigo. Because of calcium crystals. Displaced in my right ear. I am still having dizziness at sometimes. please tell me, for how long does this persist? Is that dizziness is because of crystals displaced or do I have any brain related problem?
Dear Sir, I am getting Snoring daily at Night while sleeping . Kindly let me know any remedy to get Cured or to Prevent
I am 19 years old girl and I am spitting blood in very less amount. Generally when I clean my nose I find clotted blood in my nasal canal AND I SOMETIMES FELL PAIN (VERY MINUTE BUT) WILE BREATHING.
I am suffering with a throat infection mainly all time have a sputum in this region what can I do sir. Deepak verma (MBBS 1st year)
My kid is having stuffy nose from past 5 days kindly help, I am giving her nasoclear drops twice a day.
Hello, I've been diagnosed with chronic granular pharyngitis 6 days back after I complained for fever and throat pain. I've been religiously following the medicines prescribed by the doctor but my condition hasn't improved a bit. I wake up in the middle of the night with terrible throat pain and fever as high as 104F. The fever is so recurring that I've to take 3-4 calpol a day. Needless to say it's very hard for me to eat or drink anything. Please help me out with a way to get out of this.
6 months before I was affected with viral diarrhea and along with that nose irritation and blowing nose and also sneezing. But since that blowing nose and sneezing like allergic reaction is continuing. Almost all days my nose becomes irritated and I start sneezing. Why this is continuing since last six months? What should I do?
It is very common for patients with nasal obstruction to develop clogged ear as well. The back of the nose opens into a tunnel also known as the Eustachian tube. This tube goes up to the ear. In case the ears get clogged the pressure is released by popping of the ears. This is achieved by swallowing, yawning, and trying to blow the nose. When ear pops the tunnel opens and allows the pressure to release from the ear.
Reasons why nasal obstruction causes clogged ears:
- Mucosal Swelling: When the nose is obstructed, the nasal lining might swell thus making it difficult to breath. This might also lead to swelling in the tunnel of the ear causing it to shut down. Sometimes an ear pop does not happen in this condition and this is called as Eustachian tube dysfunction.
- Negative Pressure inside the Nose: In nose obstruction when the patient tries to breathe through the nose there is negative pressure. This might build up near the opening of the Eustachian tube or the back of the nose. This pressure gets transmitted to the ear and results in a negative pressure in the ear which leads to the clogging of the ear.
- Bernoulli's Principle: This principle states that in case of an inviscid flow, increase in speed of the fluid happens side by side with a pressure decrease.
Causes of Nasal Obstruction:
Obstruction or congestion of the nose leads to a stuffy and inflamed nose. In minor illnesses like fever, cold, sinus infection and flu stuffy nose can happen. This congestion might last for a week. In case the congestion is long term then the causes for it are:
- Allergies and hay fever
- Chemical and environmental irritants
- Septum deviation
- Chronic sinusitis that has lasted for too long
- Nasal polyps and benign tumors
Symptoms of nasal decongestion are runny or stuffy nose, painful sinus, and swollen nasal tissues along with mucus buildup.
Treatment for Nasal Decongestion:
Once the nasal congestion has been found and the cause behind it has been analyzed, then treatment is must. Treatment usually includes prescription medication or over the counter drugs. Medication of the nasal decongestion involves the following:
- Oral Antihistamines: These are helpful in treating allergies. Common ones are loratadine (Claritin) and cetirizine (Zyrtec)
- Nasal Sprays: Nasal sprays which contain antihistamine like azelastine (Astelin, Astepro)
- Nasal Steroids: Examples of this are mometasone (Asmanex Twisthaler) or fluticasone (Flovent Diskus, Flovent HFA)
- Over the counter or prescription decongestants