Lybrate.com has top trusted Neurosurgeons from across India. You will find Neurosurgeons with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurosurgeons online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Renuka S Sharma
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Treatment of Spine Injuries
Brain Tumor Surgery
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
Accident Injuries Treatment
Spine Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Renuka S SharmaYour feedback matters!
• Memory loss that gets worse, starting with forgetting recent events and new information, progressing to not recognizing friends and family members
• Difficulty concentrating
• Difficulty understanding words, completing sentences, or finding the right words
• Getting lost in familiar places
• Aggression, agitation, anxiety, restlessness
• Distrusting others
• Withdrawal, disinterest, hostility, or loss of inhibitions
• Problems with movement or coordination
• Muscle stiffness, shuffling or dragging feet while walking
• Insomnia or change in sleep patterns
• Weight loss
• Muscle twitching or seizures
• Eating more fatty, cold-water fish, such as tuna and salmon, may lower your risk of dementia. Fish have high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for the heart and the brain. Eating fish at least 2 to 3 times per week provides a healthy amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
• Antioxidants, such as vitamins A, E, and C (found in darkly colored fruits and vegetables), may help prevent damage caused by free radicals.
• Keeping blood pressure levels normal may reduce the risk for Alzheimer disease.
• Keeping mentally and socially active may help delay the start or slow the progression of Alzheimer disease.
The goals in treating Alzheimer disease are to:
• Slow progression of the disease
• Manage behavior problems, confusion, and agitation
• Provide a safe living environment
• Support family members and other caregiver
Studies show the following lifestyle changes may help improve behavior in people with Alzheimer disease:
• A regular walk with a caregiver or trusted companion may improve communication skills and reduce the chance of wandering.
• Bright light therapy may reduce insomnia and wandering.
• Calming music may reduce wandering and restlessness, boost brain chemicals, and improve behavior.
• Pets can sometimes help people improve behavior.
• Relaxation training and other exercises that require focused attention may help boost social interaction and make it easier to do tasks.
Nutrition and Dietary Supplements
People with Alzheimer disease may need help with their diet. They often forget to eat and drink and can get dehydrated.
Follow these tips for a healthy diet:
• Eat antioxidant foods, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell peppers).
• Eat foods high in B-vitamins and calcium, such as almonds, beans, whole grains, dark leafy greens (such as spinach and kale), and sea vegetables such as kelp and dulse.
• Eat more high-fiber foods, including beans, oats, and root vegetables (such as potatoes and yams).
• Avoid refined foods such as white breads, pastas, and especially sugar.
• Eat fewer red meats and more lean meats and cold-water fish.
• Use healthy oils in foods, such as olive oil
• Reduce or eliminate trans-fats, found in commercially-baked goods, such as cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.
• DO NOT smoke.
• Drink 6 to 8 glasses of filtered water daily.
• Exercise at least 30 minutes daily, 5 days a week.
• Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) shows some evidence for treating early Alzheimer disease and vascular dementia. If you are taking blood-thinning medication, such as warfarin clopidogrel, or aspirin, DO NOT use ginkgo without your doctor's supervision.
• Huperzine A, a chemical made from the plant Huperzia serrata, may improve memory in both vascular and Alzheimer dementia, according to several studies in China.
• American ginseng(Panax quinquefolium) improves blood flow to the brain.
• One study found that lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) helped improve mental function in people with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer disease. Lemon balm may act like a mild sedative.
• Bacopa (Bacopa monnieri) leaf extract, called Brahmi, is used in Ayurvedic or Indian medicine to improve brain function and learning. Bacopa may slow your heart rate. People with stomach ulcers, intestinal problems, or emphysema should not tale bacopa.
• Vinpocetine (isolated from Vinca minor) may increase blood flow to the brain and help the brain use oxygen better. Vinpocetine may interact with blood-thinning medicines
Massage and Physical Therapy
People with Alzheimer disease become frustrated and anxious because they cannot communicate well with language. Using touch, or massage, as nonverbal communication may help.
Music therapy, using music to calm and heal, cannot slow or reverse dementia. But it may improve quality of life for both a person with Alzheimer disease and their caregiver.
Preliminary studies suggest aromatherapy, including lavendar may help alleviate agitation among people who have dementia.
Alzheimer disease can lead to many complications, including:
• "Sundowning", withdrawal or agitation in the evening
• Malnutrition and dehydration
• Infection, from urinary tract infections or pneumonia
• Asphyxiation, stopped breathing
• Harmful or violent behavior toward self or others
• Poor health and support due to caregiver burnout
• Physical and emotional abuse, including neglect
• Heart disease
Alzheimer disease gets worse over time, however, people with the disease may live for many years. Those with a long-standing history of high blood pressure are more likely to get worse faster.
Hello, Dr, My Daughter, slow learner/with autism spectrum and she is having vomiting and seizures occasionally. We have taken an appointment for tomorrow 8 pm, we wanted your consultation -treatment for the same. However she had fits an hour back and is vomiting after that for few hours after epilepsy episode. Could you please advise something for immediate relief till.
Sir I am seriously ill since 5- 6 year. I do not want to masturbate but after control maximum 3- 4 day I have to do it. I can't control myself. Sir I don't want to do this but I have to do it. If I don't do this I can't sleep. Please help me sir. It's affecting my life a lot. Some times I think about subside but there are many people are depend on me. Please Dr. help me.
In recent times, the advancement of medical science has substantially contributed in comprehending the Alzheimer’s disease. Unfortunately, the number of individuals suffering from the disease is expected to rise in the next ten years which pose a threat to the allocation of health care resources and public health. Alzheimer’s disease is thought to be a complex disease which influences a person’s behavior as well as cognition through numerous mechanisms.
Can surgery be deemed as a treatment for Alzheimer’s disease?
The surgery is a multicenter clinical trial which is making a new direction in clinical research. It is devised to halt or slow down the problems caused by the disease which gradually erases a lifetime of memories in elderly patients. Though there is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease, it has been found that low-voltage electric charges delivered right at the brain. Only the symptomatic therapies for Alzheimer’s disease are provided which do not have any effect on the evolution of the disease. The standard medical treatments for Alzheimer’s disease include cholinesterase inhibitors along with a partial N-methyl D-aspartate antagonist. In most cases of mild to moderate symptoms of this disease, a combination of treatments is used according to the clinical history, age and condition of the patient.
Mental activity supporting cognition
Many patients having normal cognition or mild impairment have a fear that they may develop AD. Many experts are of the opinion that mentally challenging activities including brain teasers and crossword puzzles can be helpful in reducing the risks in such patients. Clinical trials are under the way for determining whether or not these types of activities have any substantial effect on halting the progression of AD.
Treating AD in its moderate to the severe stage
Numerous studies have shown that blockade of NMDA receptors by memantine can be used safely in combination with ChEls. This combination has been shown to delay the institutionalization in patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
Treating secondary symptoms
A variety of behavioral as well as pharmacologic interventions can help in overcoming the clinical manifestations of the disease. These include anxiety, psychotic behavior, depression and agitation among others. The effectiveness of this disease can range from modest to excellent. No particular agent or dose of it can be unanimously accepted to be the sole treatment option for the wide range of clinical issues. Moreover, in the recent time, the FDA has not accepted any psychotropic agent for treating AD.
Along with these treatment options, there are behavioral interventions that can range from patient-centred approaches to caregiver training for helping manage the cognitive and behavioral manifestations of Alzheimer’s disease. Last but not the least, it is very crucial to point out the significance of treatment in the early stages of AD in order to cure it better. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Epilepsy is a disease that affects the brain's nerve cells and triggers the release of abnormal electrical signals. This can cause temporary malfunctioning of the other brain cells and result in sudden loss of consciousness. Epilepsy can affect both children and adults.
Epilepsy can be treated in a number of ways. One of the most preferred forms of treatment is homeopathy. Homeopathy addresses both the physical symptoms of the disease and the underlying factors triggering it. Another big advantage of homeopathic treatment is that it has negligible side effects.
A few homeopathic remedies that can be used to treat epilepsy are:
- Cicuta: Cicuta is very effective when used to treat cases of epilepsy where convulsions are marked by violent, body distortions. This can include the horrific backward bending of the spine (learn about the exercises for spine). These convulsions also make the person's face turn blue and trigger a locked jaw. This can also be used to effectively treat epilepsy cases triggered by head injuries and worms.
- Artemisia Vulgaris: This is used to often treat cases of Petit Mal Epilepsy which are characterized by staring into space, leaning forwards or backwards and stopping a sentence abruptly. It also addresses fear that triggers epileptic attacks.
- Stramonium: Convulsions triggered by exposure to bright lights or shiny objects can be treated with this homeopathic remedy. In such cases, the patient may not lose consciousness but experiences jerks in the muscles of the upper body.
- Cuprum Met: This homeopathic remedy is used to treat seizures that are preceded by experiencing an aura in the knees (know more about the Causes and Symptoms of Knee Pain). Other symptoms that characterize this sort of an epileptic attack are spasms that begin in the fingers and toes and gradually spread to the rest of the body and jerking of muscles. This can also be used to treat convulsions that accompany menstruation and follow the delivery of a baby.
- Bufo Rana: Not all epileptic attacks occur you are awake. Attacks that occur in your sleep can be treated with bufo rana. Such epileptic attacks are accompanied by experiencing an aura in the genital regions. This is especially helpful for women who experience seizures during menstruation.
- Hyoscyamus: Some epileptic fits are followed by a deep sleep. This type of epileptic attacks can be treated with Hyoscyamus. Other symptoms addresses by this homeopathic medicine are fidgeting with bed clothes, fidgeting with fingers and muscular twitching.
These homeopathic remedies can be taken on their own or in combination with other medicines.