Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Ravi Prasad ChallaYour feedback matters!
I have age spot only below my left eye, it makes it appear like a sunken eye. I have got laser, chemical peeling, microdermabrasion for that but it just does not go. The doctor says it will need another laser session but it will again leave a mark. Any solution? I just apply a concealer on it everyday to hide it.
Double vision that disappears when one eye is closed and when looking at some specific angles/sides can be a tumor even if I had a MRI 14 months ago and both an ophthalmologist and neurological checkups 6 weeks ago (before the double vision started, 3 weeks ago) and it was all ok? I have no headaches and no other symptoms.
I had cataract surgery in my left eye yesterday with a lens to correct my bad shortsighted (9 dioptre). I caught the reflection of the sun this morning from the car and noticed two lines radiating out from this point source. Since then I've noticed the same effect on any point source such as LEDs,
My wife is 27 year old she is losing her left eye vision guickly in last 6 months she is having pain in left side in head so please tell me what's is is a migraine or not & what to do.
Sometimes I felt right eye bal pain and right eye brow also that time I felt vomiting sometimes I did vomit als o may I know the reason.
I have temporary squint and I am able to see things clearly whenever I am seeing squint. But whenever I am trying to see straight with both eyes the vision gets blurred. What could be the problem?
I have red eyes what shall I do Should I consult a doctor Or will it go by itself I have no pain just red eyes.
Dry eyes problems 6 months ago till now doctor prescribed me Restasis and on tear gel. Iflomax too at night.
Age-related macular degeneration, also known in brief as AMD or ARMD is one of the most common age-related causes for vision loss. It causes “blind spots” in vision, causing difficulty in activities requiring central vision like reading, sewing, driving, watching TV, computer usage, etc.
How it happens?
The centre portion of the eye is known as retina which has a screen in the posterior portion. For proper vision, light falls on this screen and is then processed to enable ‘vision.’ When this screen is not clear, blurred vision results. It may not cause total blindness but impairs vision including double vision and loss of central vision.
Types: There are two types of AMD, wet and dry.
- Dry: There are yellow deposits known as drusen which form in the macula, and as they grow in size, they impair vision, specifically the central vision. This is the common variant and can lead to the wet form.
- Wet: There are abnormal blood vessels which are formed in the retina. There is leaking of blood and fluid which makes it ‘wet.’ There could be scarring of these leaked substances, which again leads to loss of central vision. Further studies have shown that retina produces a protein knows as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) which promotes the generation of new blood vessels, normally required for the production of new blood vessels. However, increased VEGF causes excessive proliferation of blood vessels, leading to macular degeneration.
Risk factors: Though age related, there are definitely some factors which put one at a higher risk for AMD
- Genetics: AMD is hereditary and runs in families
- Gender: Females are more prone to develop AMD than males
- Ageing: People above 60 are at greater risk
- Smoking: Direct and passive smoking contribute to AMD.
- Obesity: Accelerates the pace of AMD and severity of complications.
- Hypertension: Increases the chances of developing AMD
- Ethnicity: Caucasians are more prone to develop AMD as their lighter skin and eye color is more prone to sun damage
- Sun exposure: Increased sun exposure accelerates the onset of AMD
- No symptoms in the initial stages
- Gradually, there is impaired central vision, affecting activities like reading, driving, and computer usage
- Color perception is impaired
- A routine eye exam will reveal the yellow deposits which actually cause the condition.
- An angiography may be done after injecting a dye to detect blood vessel growth.
There is no cure, but progress can be delayed
- Anti-angiotensin agents reduce pressure in the eyes and stop development of newer blood vessels
- Vitamins help slow down loss of vision
- Vision aids to correct vision