Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Nephrologists in India. You will find Nephrologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Nephrologists online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Ramesh ChadaYour feedback matters!
I am 74 years male, hale and hearty now but suffer from urinary problem as under. I had undergone and my prostate and semen vessels have been removed to ensure that cancerous nodes do not remain in surroundings. Now there is no full control on holding my urine. While bending or under pressure or when bladder is full. There is small leakage of urine which, is quite embarrassing. Also erection of penis is not to the level it should be. Suggest medicines for both. Thanks
Nephropathy is also known as renal disease. It is any type of damage or disease relating to the kidneys. Though not everyone with diabetes has nephropathy, however, diabetic nephropathy can cause kidney failure.
How does diabetes affect the kidney?
Kidneys are responsible for taking waste out from your blood. They have a lot of tiny blood vessels to do this. High blood sugar may kill such blood vessels. Once these blood vessels are destroyed, the kidneys may not function as well or it may even lead to kidney failure.
What increases your risk of getting diabetic nephropathy?
There are several factors which increase your risk of getting diabetic nephropathy including: \
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Being Native American, African American or of Hispanic origin, for whom risk factors have proved to be magnified
- If you have family history of diabetic nephropathy
Symptoms and diagnosis:
There are very few noticeable symptoms, which appear when you have diabetic nephropathy, except swelling in your arms and legs. The diagnosis is done by checking for a type of protein in your urine known as albumin, which is not supposed to be there. Getting the diagnosis done early is crucial.
You can prevent kidney damage by doing the following:
- Keeping your blood sugar levels under control - keep HbA1C < 6-7%
- Keeping your blood pressure under control in the range of 130/80
- Eating healthy food
- Exercising regularly
- Not eating too much protein
- Not eating too much salt
- Reducing smoke or excessive tobacco usage
Medicines for treatment:
If you do get diabetic nephropathy, here are some medicines, which can help cure it
- ACE inhibitors which are also called angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- Blood pressure may rise
- Triglyceride levels and cholesterol levels may rise.