Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Audiologists in India. You will find Audiologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Audiologists online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Ramesh
Submit a review for Dr. RameshYour feedback matters!
I have been diagnosed with moderate conductive hearing loss. The doctor has advised that I need a procedure - to be exact, stapedectomy. My hearing loss started after my pregnancy and I understand that it may be due to my genetics as well. My question is, how safe is this procedure and will my normal life change afterwards? I am a health freak and I love gymming, aerobics and constantly move around. Will my life change?
Research published recently has proved beyond a sliver of doubt that there is a strong link between addressing hearing loss and quality of life. Research shows that people with hearing loss who use hearing aids have better mental health, fewer symptoms of depression, and better social engagement. There is also an undeniable link between untreated hearing loss and mood swings. When left unaddressed, hearing loss is frequently associated with mood swings that affect a person’s social, professional and marital relations.
A study published in JAMA found that hearing loss is especially linked to an increased risk of depression in the age group of 18-69 years. Hearing loss and impaired mental health is known to affect the quality of life of elderly patients more. People in old age with hearing loss are 57 percent more likely to have episodes of stress and depression than their peers with normal hearing. And significant studies have proved that these cases can be reversed using hearing aids.
Using a professionally fitted hearing aid can ease the stress associated with intensive listening and it improves communication significantly in people affected by hearing loss. Because of these findings, health professionals believe that hearing aids can improve the quality of life, especially in older adults with hearing loss and are rooting for mandatory testing for hearing loss amongst all age groups and especially in older adults.
The other benefits of hearing aids-reasons for getting a hearing aid are-
1. Feeling positive: People with hearing loss who use hearing aids are more likely to be happy and engaged in life.
2. Living fully: People with hearing aids get more pleasure in doing simple things like watching TV and talking with friends etc. This helps in upping their overall quality of life.
3. Stronger relationships: Hearing aids allow people to engage in group activities and improve their quality of life.
4. Improved communication: Man is a social animal. He needs to communicate. As hearing aids help people listen and distinguish sounds, it improves their communication skills. Their speech improves which means that people can understand what they are saying better and are more motivated to speak with them. This reduces social isolation of the hearing loss affected person substantially.
5. Reduced risk of income loss: Wearing hearing aids at work helps people with especially milder hearing loss to perform optimally and stop downsizing.
In short, treatment of hearing loss using hearing aids can improve-
• Family relationships
• Your ability to communicate
• Your earning power
• Control over your life
• Social participation
• Emotional well-being
This is why everyone should invest in a hearing test at least once a year. This will help catch hearing loss earlier and prevent aural deterioration.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!