Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Nephrologists in India. You will find Nephrologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Nephrologists online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rajshekhar Chakravarty
Submit a review for Dr. Rajshekhar ChakravartyYour feedback matters!
Our kidneys act as filters which constantly flushes out toxins and excess minerals with water in form of urine. Urine contains lots of minerals which may precipitate and form stones. Urine has lots of pro-precipitating agents and anti-precipitating agents. When their balance disturbs due to some disease, stones start forming. These stones may often lead to abdominal pain which is referred to as renal colic.
What exactly is renal colic?
Renal or ureteric colic is the term used for typical pain in one side of abdomen in flank region starting from back and radiating forward towards lower abdomen up to scrotum. This is usually associated with nausea, vomiting and urinary discomfort. There may be blood in urine.
How kidney stones are related to renal colic?
Kidney stones usually form inside kidney and lies there without causing any pain. But whenever they are dislodged and stuck at mouth of kidney (pelvis) or anywhere in ureter, they block the passage of urine of that kidney. This causes swelling in kidney termed as hydronephrosis. This swelling in kidney causes renal / ureteric colic. This colic is protective phenomenon and tries to push out the stones. Small stones do come out in urine by this natural process. This spontaneous expulsion of small stones is common and many local practitioners used to get credit of it feigning benefit of their medicine. However large stones need some form of intervention to come out. Otherwise, they do harm to kidneys in long term.
Symptoms of kidney stones along with renal /ureteric colic -
- Most stones which are lying in calyces of kidney are asymptomatic
- Nausea & vomiting
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Fever with chills
- Foul smelling urine
- Hesitency, frequency and burning in urination
- Blood in urine (urine with a reddish, pink or brownish hue)
- Passage of small stones in urine
Treatment of renal colic
Treatment of ureteric/renal stones involves control of symptoms and stone removal.
- Expectant Treatment or Medical Expulsion Therapy: Small stones of less than 4 mm size usually pass on its own and some medicines like alpha-blockers and steroid hasten up their expulsion. Medium size stone (4-6 mm), sometimes passes with aid of these medications. But stones larger than 6 mm usually require intervention.
- Lithotripsy: This method involves breaking of stones by shock waves into small dusty particles which pass through urine on its own. This is usually suitable for stones upto 1.5 cm and lying in kidneys. This is non-operative treatment which can be done on OPD or Daycare basis.
- Ureteroscopy (URS): This method involves entry of very thin semirigid scope through urethra into ureter. Stone is broken by LASER and removed. This involves single day admission and spinal anaesthesia.
- RIRS- Retrograde Intra Renal Surgery: In this method very thin flexible scope in maneuvered through urethra into the upper ureter and pelvi-calyceal system of kidney. Stones in kidney or upper ureter are broken by LASER and removed. This is also done under anaesthesia and requires a day admission.
- Mini- PCNL: This method is suitable for large renal stones. In this technique, a small hole is made into the kidney through back and tiny scope is entered into the kidney. Stones are broken by LASER and removed. This is done under anaesthesia and require two to three days admission.
I had a stone operation this January and my back have again started hurting me. Please suggest me something.
I have noticed blood in urine from last few days and have a burning sensation too. And periods also heavy bleeding. Please advice. My age is 50 years.
My urine routine and microscopy result shows trace amount of protein and yellow colour of urine. And everything normal and my blood sugar fasting is 73 and 99. Is everything normal?
Now a days many people are suffering from kidney diseases like, chronic renal failure. As the name itself suggests, function of kidney gets deteriorates progressively. The basic unit of kidney, called nephrons, start getting damaged and unable to filter the urine, due to that, the wastes of body start getting accumulated with in the blood itself. And that recollection is very dangerous and life threatening. This could be diagnosed through blood test where s. Creatinine and urea gets high and if creatinine gets very high, doctors recommend dialysis.
When patient/attendant asks his doctor whether he may try ayurveda medicines, most of the doctors say them strictly not to go for ayurveda even without what knowing that what exactly ayurveda does in ckd.
Here, I am writing this post just to build some confidence. I can assure to all kidney patients, all of you can go for ayurvedic treatment without any fear and doubt, as there is no harm at all with ayurvedic medicines.
A good ayurveda doctor knows that, in case of renal dysfunction, heavy metallic preparations are prohibited like the combinations of lead, mercury, arsenic. As these are very difficult for weak kidney to filter.
Even though the damaged nephrons can never be repaired, but the function of remaining nephrons can be restored so that over all kidney function can be revived. And this is really effective. Ayurveda doctor would prefer to prescribe herbal and mineral preparations.
Therefore. I would strongly suggest to start ayurveda in any types of renal diseases. I can assure you the quality of life would surely improve.