Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best General Physicians online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
The human male reproductive organ is a versatile part of the body, which is rich in sensory nerves and has procreative as well as important urinary functions. This is a fairly complex organ with the capability to change shape when it is engorged with blood during an erection. However, certain problems with the penis would also be much more pronounced and understandable during an erection, one of which is the bent penis.
When is it a problem?
A penis comes in a variety of shapes and sizes and it is normal for it to have a tendency to be slightly bent in one direction or the other. However, when the penis ends up bending abnormally and also causes pain, it may be a problem and you should go consult a doctor. Some of the factors you should consider are:
- A sudden or a gradual change in curvature over a short period of time
- Painful erections
- Inability to masturbate or have sex due to excessive curvature
- Problems in trying to urinate among others
Some of the causes of bent penis: The primary physical cause of a bent penis is the lack of proper blood flow all across the organ. The spongy tissue which fills up with blood to achieve an erection may have spaces blocked or inhibited for various reasons. This uneven flow causes a dip or a bend in a specific direction.
Some of the common causes would be:
- An injury to the penis
- Peyronie's disease (formation of plaque beneath the penis skin)
- Autoimmune disorders (wherein the immune system attacks the body tissues)
- Collagen abnormalities such as inherited fibrous tissues etc.
Injuries to the penis may cause scar tissues to develop as a response. These can be easily felt under the skin. Autoimmune disorders and Peyronie's disease also cause abnormal scar tissues build up. Peyronie's disease may also cause pain during erections or while engaging in sexual intercourse.
- Medicines: Oral or topical medications to resolve problems with blood flow or scar tissue can be used to resolve smaller injury related problems or lesser forms of Peyronie's disease.
- Surgery: Surgery may be required if your penis is injured or bent too badly out of shape such that it causes problems such as painful erections or inability to have sex.