Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. R. Ravi Shankar
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. R. Ravi ShankarYour feedback matters!
My eyesight is weak but I do and eat everything that doctor said to me but nothing is happening I need a medicine that can repair my eyesight.
My right eye power no is SPH - 5.75 left eye SPH - 6.50 CYL - 0.75 Axis 165 What is the meaning of cyl and axis?
My 5 year kid got heavy redness in his left eye. The eye was swollen and tears were coming slightly. The doctor suggested microscopic scraping citing holy color entering in the eyes. He was normal all these days post holy. Not sure whether the diagnosis is correct. Should we go for the treatment suggested as it looks rather painful from what he described
While spectacles are a fashion statement for some people, for others they are an uncomfortable necessity. Though contact lenses may be a little more aesthetically pleasing they too can be quite uncomfortable and cannot be worn throughout the day. Thankfully, there is a third way to correct vision. Laser surgery or LASIK, it is a popular refractive procedure that can correct common vision problems, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. This procedure aims at reshaping the cornea so that light entering the eyes can be focused onto the retina for the person to have a clearer vision.
Laser surgery is pain-free and quick in most cases. Usually, it does not take more than 15 minutes to correct vision in both eyes. The results of this surgery can be seen in as little as 24 hours.
The first step of laser surgery to correct vision is to create a thin, circular flap in the cornea. This is then folded back to access the stroma or underlying cornea. An excimer laser is then used to remove some of the corneal tissue. For people suffering from nearsightedness, the cornea is flattened while for people suffering from farsightedness, the cornea is made steeper. In cases of astigmatism, an irregular cornea is smoothened. Once the correct gradient has been achieved the corneal flap is put back into place and the cornea is allowed to heal naturally. There are no stitches or bandages required in a laser eye surgery. You may feel a temporary burning or itching sensation in your eyes immediately after the procedure. It is important not to rub your eyes or place any pressure on them. Your vision may also be cloudy or blurred for the first few hours. A doctor will usually advise you to rest for a few days after the surgery so that your cornea can heal properly. In a few days, your eyesight should stabilize, though, in a few rare cases, it may take a little longer. You should also avoid any form of strenuous exercising for a few days after the surgery.
Though LASIK surgery has a very high success rate, there are very rare occasions where spectacles may still be needed even after the surgery. Thus LASIK is a choice of treatment for many who seek freedom from glasses.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
What are the symptoms of night blindness and blur sight of vision? Please respond me as soon as possible! I v been facing this issue since a quite long time. What are the symptoms of night blindness and blur sight of vision? Please respond me as soon as possible! I v been facing this issue since a quite long time.
Dear sir, my eyes getting pain & itching regularly and I checked with many doctor they said its infection but not got any solution please give advise & solution asap.
Visual disorders are seen to develop in school going children and should be taken care of with utmost care as neglecting such disorders may affect their learning ability. They might find it hard to adjust and cope in school. Some of the common visual disorders which children are affected with are mentioned below. Read more to find out about them:
- Amblyopia (Lazy Eye): Amblyopia is a medical condition in which an eye has developed poor vision. It is also known as 'Lazy Eye'. It occurs when the vision in one eye is significantly better than the other. Amblyopia occurs due to strabismus or misaligned eyes.
- Conjunctivitis: Conjunctivitis or 'Pink Eye' occurs in children due to allergic reaction which is not contagious or due to bacterial or viral infections which are very contagious. If infected with conjunctivitis, it is advisable to stay at home to avoid spreading the infection.
- Myopia: Myopia is also known as nearsightedness. In this condition, the cornea is steep and the rays of light fall in front of the retina. This leads closer objects to look clear but far off objects to look blurred.
- Hyperopia: Hyperopia implies farsightedness. In this condition, the eye is shorter than normal hence the rays of light cannot focus clearly on the retina. This results in objects close at hand appear blurred. Reading a book or threading a needle becomes difficult.
- Astigmatism: Astigmatism is a condition in which both near and far off images appear blurred. In this condition, the cornea which is naturally circular is stretched in either horizontal or vertical direction. Astigmatism can occur along with myopia or hyperopia.
- Blocked tear duct: When the tear ducts are partially or completely obstructed, it hampers the drainage of tears and results in a chronically, watery infected eye. You are advised to consult an ophthalmologist if such a condition occurs.
- Orbital Cellulitis: Cellulitis generally occurs due to an eyelid infection or an upper respiratory Infection. Cellulitis includes swelling of the eyelids and fever. It is a serious medical condition and it is recommended to consult a doctor for consultation.