Lybrate.com has top trusted Cardiologists from across India. You will find Cardiologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Cardiologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Balloon Angioplasty Procedure
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Cardiac Ablation Procedure
Coronary Bypass Surgery
Carotid Angioplasty And Stenting Procedure
Cardiac Catheterization Procedure
Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (Icds) Tre
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Preventing Stent Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. Pramodh KumarYour feedback matters!
Hypertension or High Blood Pressure (HBP) is a long-term or chronic health condition where the pressure of the flow of blood is always high in the arteries. High blood pressure can develop over many years and affects everyone at some point in life but if not treated for a very long time, it can escalate the risks of a number of cardiovascular problems and chronic kidney disorders.
- Primary Hypertension - High blood pressure caused by genetic, prenatal or other natural causes like aging (people over 60 develop HBP) is known as primary hypertension.
- Secondary Hypertension - Secondary hypertension is that which is caused due to specific conditions, like kidney disorders, lung disorders etc.
Blood pressure depends on the amount of blood pumped by the heart and the radius of the blood vessels. The delicate balance can get disturbed due to a number of factors.
- Primary hypertension may be caused by genetic factors. There are 35 identified genetic loci related to blood pressure. Mutations in these can cause chronic HBP. Other factors like maternal smoking, deficiency of vitamin D, deficiency of calcium, insufficient breast milk consumption also increase the risk of HBP.
- Secondary hypertension is caused by a variety of conditions like hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism, nephritis, asthma, sleep apnea, depression, pregnancy etc. Overconsumption of caffeine, alcohol, sodium and illegal drugs may also be responsible for high blood pressure.
Hypertension may not show any warning symptoms for several years while it continues to develop. A few tell-tale signs are frequent throbbing headaches, shortness of breath, nosebleeds, excessive sweating but these only occur when there is an extremely serious medical complication.
Treatment and Prevention
Hypertension is a common condition, especially after the age of 40. Medication may help control severely high blood pressure to an extent but certain lifestyle changes go a long way in both preventing and treating the disorder. Some of them are:
1. Taking regular blood pressure readings after the age of 25. High blood pressure is defined differently in different age groups. It is not always 120/80.
2. Obesity causes hypertension. A normal body mass index of 18-25, should be maintained.
3. The daily diet should include at least 4 to 6 portions of fruits and vegetables.
4. Salt intake is to be limited.
5. Drinking and smoking are to be minimized.
6. Stress and burnout should be avoided. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.
I'm 20 yrs male when I get up daily in morning I got severe chest pain that i'm not bearable that pain and it is relieved after some time I can't bend myself that I even cant breathe properly so please tell me sir what happened to me.
Constantly bowel and pain in left chest seems like air get stuck under chest. Help me by proper advice?
Doctor. Actually I consulted. The cardiologist. In vellore, and also in hyderabad. They said that. My pumping is little bit low. Please help me with better solution!
I am 44 years old. Always Having pain near right chest. Pain increase after taking food. Give me solution. Taking gas tablets no result.
Can a 20 year old guy like me have chest problem even if ecg and echo are normal. And chest pain is continuous. No acidity, no Gerd. please help me out. Ans tell what to do next.
I am a 30 years old male, I have very high bp, I don't use medicines, please advice an alternative as I don't want to use tablets.
Hi am MB, I am 67 years old, recently I had got my comprehensive cardiac check up done which I do regularly with a frequency of once every year. This time during regular treadmill test, my exercise tolerance was found fair. What does that actually mean? And what is tmt positive? Is there any thing needed to be done after tmt test results? What is the relationship between a positive tmt and bad cholesterol? What are the precautions needed to be taken to prevent bad cholesterol build up? What kind of food habits that has to be avoided for good heart condition and subsequently to keep yourself away from cholesterol? Are exercise requirements and regular walking habits play a vital role in maintaining healthy heart state? Request to answer my queries and help me to maintain a sound health. Thank you very much. Regards MB.
I have some breathing problems. And also bp problem. Its very annoying for me. Please tell me. What should I do?
I have high cholesterol problem. My HDL is always around 20. I want to increase my HDL. What should I do?
My heart is block form 4 days they are class what should I do like when nose will closed something like that. please give me best thank you.
I am 26 years old male having pain in my chest bone middle, it occurs when I do some moments e. G like moving, bowing, or pulling some sought of things. I have some sought of cough also, sometime there is shortness of breath too. What should I do?
Sir/Madam, I have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse some months back. Because of this I experience weakness in my hands and limbs, feel pain in heart and chest and headache. Want to know if yoga or other exercise will help.
I want to reduce my weight, I almost eat heavy, soft food always raise my hunger, I drink plenty of water, I am also effected with high blood pressure, please suggest me.
Dear doctor, my neice (8 years old) is affected by brucellosis/pleural effusion/pyopericardium/partial pericadiectomy done/collagen vascular disorder, she is discharged from hospital after a month of icu care. Now almost everyday she gets high fever and pimples in complete body.
The lifestyle we lead plays an important role. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important to overcome many diseases as it helps in bringing the blood pressure to normal and in turn reduce the risks of diseases, such as diabetes and hypertension. Factors like smoking, diet, stress and sedentary lifestyle can lead to hypertension and diabetes. Hypertension is known as silent killer as it is symptomless.
There are various traditional medicines known to lower the blood pressure. Also, there are certain herbs that help in controlling blood pressure and preventing other diseases.
Some of these herbs are:
- Basil: This herb has a strong aroma and can be used in the preparation of many foods. It also helps in lowering the blood pressure, though for a brief time. Adding freshly chopped or torn basil to soups, salads, pastas and casseroles not only enhance the taste but are also beneficial for health.
- Cinnamon: This herb requires some effort to add in the diet, but is helpful in maintain the blood pressure. Diabetic people should have cinnamon everyday in some or the other way. Cinnamon can be included by sprinkling over cereals, oats, coffee, stews and curries.
- Cardamom: Cardamom if consumed daily can be helpful in bringing down blood pressure and in turn controlling hypertension and diabetes. Cardamom is very popular in South Asia, the seeds can be powdered and used in stews, soups or baking. It not only has an enhanced flavor but is also packed with numerous health benefits.
- Flaxseed: This is very rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are believed to lower the blood pressure and also protect the body against atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. They are known for reducing cholesterol levels, and improving glucose tolerance thus acting as antioxidant. Flaxseeds can be added in smoothies and soups or baked goods.
- Garlic: Garlic often synonymous with bad breath and pungent seasoning has immense health benefits. It dilates and relaxes the blood vessels allowing the blood to flow freely and in turn reduces the blood pressure.
- Ginger: Adding ginger to the diet helps to control the blood pressure. It relaxes the blood vessels and improves the circulation of the blood. Ginger can be used in sweets, savories and beverages and is very common in Asian food.
- Celery Seed: This is a diuretic and in China it is used to treat hypertension. This can be used to flavor stews, soups, savory dishes and casseroles. Both the seeds and the plant have various benefits and uses of their own.
- Hawthorn: This herb is used to treat high blood pressure in China. Decoctions of the herb have health benefits such as reduction of blood pressure, controlling hypertension and blood circulation.