Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Pradeep Choudhary
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Management of Surrogacy
Submit a review for Dr. Pradeep ChoudharyYour feedback matters!
A condition that stems from the formation of small cysts on the outer portions of enlarged ovaries is PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). PCOS occurs due to hormonal disorders in women, and dealing with the symptoms of this condition of ‘hormones going out of balance’ can be truly frustrating.
From acne invasion to irregular menstrual cycles, from insulin resistance to no periods at all, uncontrolled polycystic ovary syndrome can trigger some complications to the health of women. However, being selective about what you eat can help to control the severity of PCOS symptoms.
Let's find out the best practices regarding diet that can help to combat polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Add more lean protein: Food items such as chicken, tofu, and fish represent excellent sources of lean animal protein. Though these sources lack fiber, they are rich in protein that helps in making one feel full for extended periods of time while stabilizing blood sugar levels. A lean protein-rich diet is essential to reduce the effects of high levels of the male sex hormone androgen, which is responsible for the unpleasant side-effects of PCOS.
- Opt for a fiber-rich diet: Patients with PCOS should opt for a diet rich in fiber. A high-fiber diet not only helps to eliminate the risks of a sudden increase in the blood sugar levels but also slows the digestion process. These factors often help the body to fight insulin resistance. Fresh vegetables and green vegetables help to lower the effect of sugar levels in the blood.
- Don’t forget anti-inflammatory foods: Opting for anti-inflammatory food is a must to drive the ideal PCOS diet. As inflammation is considered a part of the underlying mechanism of polycystic ovary syndrome, patients must consume foods that come with inflammation relieving properties. These foods include spinach, almonds, sardines, and turmeric. The regular consumption of these food items helps to restore the normal rhythms and processes inside the body.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates: Pastries, waffles, rich cakes, and white bread abound in refined sugars. Patients of PCOS must avoid sources of refined carbohydrates. These carbohydrates are chiefly responsible for influencing insulin resistance. They also cause inflammation. Thus, health-conscious citizens and patients of PCOS must stay away from muffins, pastries, and white bread.
- Exclude sugary drinks and foods: The excessive consumption of sugar is one of the causes of insulin resistance. This condition can influence and aggravate PCOS symptoms. Therefore, when planning your PCOS diet, make it a point to exclude sugary drinks and deep fried snacks at all costs.
There is no instant cure for polycystic ovary syndrome. However, by selecting the right nutrition or diet one might be able to manage the problems due to PCOS, and have a healthy and happy life.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!