Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. P. Hemanth Vudayagiri
Submit a review for Dr. P. Hemanth VudayagiriYour feedback matters!
Causes and symptoms of enlarged prostate
The problem of an enlarged prostate or benign prostate hyperplasia is a very common occurrence as you grow older. It's known to strike men above the age of 50, with more than 50% of men after the age of 60, having this complaint.
Causes of enlarged prostate
A non-cancerous condition, enlarged prostate makes the passing of urine from the bladder through the urethra difficult. The multiplication of the prostate cells causes an enlargement of the gland, leading to a buildup of pressure on the urethra, affecting the discharge of urine from the body. The narrowing of the urethra, due to this benign condition, forces the bladder to contract more vigorously so as to push urine out of the body.
As time passes, the muscles of the bladder get significantly affected, causing them to become extremely sensitive, thicker and stronger. As a consequence, the bladder begins to contract, even if the amount of urine in the organ is negligible, causing episodes of frequent urination. Gradually, the bladder fails to completely empty itself of urine due to the constriction of the urethra. This can give rise to a number of health problems including the formation of bladder stones, urinary tract infections, blood in the urine and so on.
How can you identify the signs of the condition?
Signs of enlarged prostate are very easy to identify and include:
- A slow or weak urine flow
- Difficulty in initiating urination
- Instances of frequent urination
- A feeling of not completely emptying one's bladder
- Frequent urination during the night
- Exerting a lot to urinate
- Instances of dribbling
- Urgency to pass urine
- A feeling of urinating again minutes after doing so
- Urination that starts and stops
Tip: 4 Simple ways to lose your baby weight naturally?
Are you aware of colon cancer? This cancer is based in the large intestine or the colon, and the digestive system. Rectal cancer refers to the last few inches of the colon. These cancers are together known as colorectal cancers. Commonly, colon cancer starts as a small non-cancerous clump of cells known as adenomatous polyps. With time, some of these polyps may turn cancerous. The polyps are usually small and very few symptoms are observed.
In many cases, colon cancer strikes without showing any major symptoms. Hence, it is very important for you to have regular screenings called colorectal screenings for detecting early problems. However, in other cases there are several symptoms of colon cancer and bleeding is the first one of them. Tumours may bleed in small amounts and the evidence of bleeding in only found during chemical stool testing. When the tumours grow larger, other symptoms are slowly observed. They are as follows:
Blood in Stool: This is the most alarming symptom of colon cancer. However, the presence of blood in the stool does not always indicate cancer, as other problems such as haemorrhoids, ulcers and ulcerative colitis also cause bleeding in the digestive tract.
Unexplained Anemia: Anemia is the shortage of red blood cells, which help in carrying oxygen all over the body. In case you experience anemia, you will feel sluggish and tired. You will be exhausted in such a way that even rest will have no impact.
The Importance of Screening for the Prevention of Colon Cancer-
Colon cancer does not cause symptoms in an early stage and the major symptoms start appearing in the advanced stage. It is recommended for all people above the age of 50 to undertake regular colon cancer screenings. In case of people having a family history of colon cancer, and people with certain risk factors, screening should be undertaken at an early age after being approved by a doctor.
When diagnosed at an early stage, the five-year survival rate of colon cancer is around 90%. However, in the cases where colon cancer spreads outside the colon, the survival rates get reduced. It is important for you to consult a doctor on experiencing any symptoms of colon cancer.
I m a female 74 yes I have got advanced fourth stage breast cancer and have undergone a decompression operation of the spinal cord in November but my senses in the lower part if the body have not recovered as yet pls tell me how can I speed up my recovery I have gone through 3 chemo sessions also.
Can Alfa blockers (Afdura tablet) be taken at day time after lunch daily instead of after dinner / bed time for BPH.
Prostate cancer is a condition triggered by the abnormal and uncontrolled growth and division of some cells of the prostate gland. Today, incidences of prostate cancer are alarmingly rising in India. In fact, some reports suggest that the cases of prostate cancer are likely to double by the year 2020, all the more reasons to manage and control the condition on time.
Like the other forms of cancer, prostate cancer can also metastasize and affect the other vital organs of the body (Secondary Cancer). One of the body parts where the prostate cancer is most likely to metastasize first are the bones. As per the American Cancer Society, bone metastasis can give rise to a host of complications and discomfort including Hypercalcemia (elevated levels of blood calcium levels). There will also be severe bone damage with frequent bone fractures which can be quite painful. Thus, it is essential that the spread of prostate cancer is somehow controlled or slowed down. In this regard, the Bone Directed therapy deserves a special mention.
The Osteoclasts are cells in the bone that plays a pivotal role in bone reabsorption, ensuring that the bones stay healthy and disease free. The metastasis of the prostate cancer to bones results in the osteoclasts becoming over-reactive. This, in turn, can result in a myriad of problems affecting the bones. The Prostate Bone Directed Therapy involves the use of drugs and medications that will help to regulate and slow down the over-reactive osteoclast cells. For this purpose, the drug that is commonly used is Zometa or Zoledronic acid, which is a type of Bisphosphonate.
The use of this drug can go a long way to ensure that the bones remain healthy by
- Lowering the level of the calcium in the blood.
- It also contributes significantly preventing the bone loss, bone thinning, and bone metastasis.
- As per various scientific studies, the use of Bisphosphonates can work wonders to slow down or arrest the metastasis of prostate cancer to the bones.
However, if the prostate cancer had already metastasized the bone, the use of the drug Prolia (intravenous injections are often used) may provide fruitful results. The dosage of the drug may vary among individuals depending on the extent of the damage.
- Prolia is known to play an instrumental role in reducing the incidences of bone breaks and hypercalcemia.
- In people with a relatively higher level of Prostate-specific antigen or PSA ( a protein produced by the prostate gland cells which can be indicative of prostate cancer), the drug Prolia can help to arrest the growth of the malignant cells.
However, the drug comes with its share of side effects which may range from a sharp dip in the calcium level to allergic reactions, backaches, or even jaw bone complications.
Thus, the drug should be used with great care and under strict medical supervision.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hello Doctor Does melanoplakia cause cancer? does it creates cancer cell in body? even at young age. Please advice doctor thanks.
Sir I am 37 years male and suffering from gynecomastia on left side since 1 year please sometime there is pain in left flank area please help I am really concerns for this due yo this I have developed health anxiety of being breast cancer . I always do self diagnosis on internet. Please Dr. help me.
We live in an age where every single individual, more or less, is exposed to the risk of cancer. It is probably an unfavorable lifestyle we lead that deprives us of good health. This might alarm many but considerable changes in lifestyle can help you realize cancer as a preventable disease. Cancer does not only make you undergo severe suffering but it also affects your friends and family. The pallor of misery spreads wider than you think.
- Abstain from tobacco: Consuming raw tobacco or smoking tobacco can be equally detrimental to your health. Tobacco increases your chances of contracting the disease. As is known, passive smoking can also affect your health adversely. Tobacco can be the potential cause behind cancer of the mouth, throat, larynx, lungs, oral cavity and even the pancreas. It might harm your kidneys and cervix. It is upon you to quit tobacco at the earliest possible. One should also try and persuade friends and relatives to give up smoking.
- Drink alcohol in moderation: Complete abstinence from alcohol might not be possible if you have already been ushered into your work- life. The society might require you to be an occasional drinker. It is important to drink in moderation. Crossing the limit can propel consequences as serious as cancer of the stomach, pancreas, liver and the heart.
- A balanced and nutritious diet: Deciding on a plant- based diet or a Mediterranean diet can aid your fight against the risk of cancer. A Mediterranean diet will involve green leafy vegetables, lots of fresh fruits, whole grains, mixed nuts, legumes and also the use of extra- virgin olive oil. Fish can be a safe bet but red meat should be avoided. One must also try to avoid processed meat as they tend to make you prone to the risk of cancer.
- Immunization: Hepatitis B and HPV or Human papilloma virus vaccines are extremely necessary to protect you against the sexually transmitted types of cancer.
- Sun protection: Caring for your skin doesn't arise from vanity. Skin cancer is one of the most prevalent kinds of cancer; the chances of this disease can be restricted by remaining in shade especially during midday, by wearing covered clothes and by using a good sunscreen lotion repeatedly while outside.
- Exercise diligently: Did you think it was okay to have weaker muscles and bulging layers of fat? If yes, you probably have grown numb to the inadequacies you face in result. Unchecked fat can lead to obesity which further complicates health conditions. Metabolic activity differs from person to person. Regular exercising can help regulate metabolism according to the needs of your body. Physical exercise protects you against the risk of breast and colon cancer. Moderate or vigorous physical activity for 150 to 75 minutes a week respectively can reduce the risk of cancer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a oncologist.