Lybrate.com has top trusted Physiotherapists from across India. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Physiotherapists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Lalita Makkar
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. Lalita MakkarYour feedback matters!
On your modern lifestyle to avoid the physical stress on your body.
sit for 20 minutes and walk 20 steps and sit again
I am Murali (30 years old), I found my new joints are slippery and weak, if I walk more or when I climb stairs I feel bit pain in my knee joints. What could be possible reason? Is it a serious one?
I am 26 years old male have backache from last 4 months only at night time while sleeping what should I do.
I am suffering from pain in my lower back whenever I lean on and do something like washing my hands and do some work. Is it normal?
I am an athlete and the bottom part of my ring finger pains when I do pull-ups with my fingers. This has been the case for a few months now. Is is just muscle strain or a pulley?
My wife is suffering from knee pain since last 03 months. She is 53 years old. She is taking some pain killers and other allopathic medicine on the advice of Doctor. But no improvement. Please advice.
Sciatica pain can be mild to intense. Many with lumbar herniated disc and sciatica often wonder whether or not they require a surgery. Needless to say, it is never an easy decision. But the good news is that micro discectomy surgery has a higher rate of success when it comes to relieving sciatica pain. When compared to many other options, this one is relatively minimally invasive. It doesn’t alter the structure of the spine permanently since it works by removing a small portion of the disc, which has herniated or extruded out of the disc.
When your sciatica pain stems from lumbar disc herniation, a small open surgery with the help of magnification is the prevalently opted surgical approach. On the other hand, a laminectomy is done when the bone or disc pinching the nerve root is required to be removed.
When should you consider undergoing surgery for sciatica?
Typically, neurosurgeons recommend considering surgery for sciatica in a host of situations which include the following:
- Severe pain in the leg lingering for more than six weeks, which mainly affects one side of the leg or buttock
- Intense pain in the low back and buttock, which continues through the course of the sciatic nerve andextends to the lower leg and even foot. This pain can be described as sharp and searing rather than a dull thud.
- When pain has not alleviated even after non-surgical treatments that may include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs),oral steroids, injections, manual manipulations, and physical therapy
- When the patient is not able to take part in the day to day activities due to intense lower back pain and the symptoms tend to become severe during movements like sneeze and cough.
- When the symptoms are continuing to worsen, thereby indicating nerve damage, particularly when the progressive signs have their root in neurological issues
- It is important to note here that surgical intervention may only be needed when the patient experiences progressive weakness in the lower portion of the body or sudden loss of bladder or bowel movement, which may stem from cauda equina syndrome. Two surgeries, namely lumbar laminectomy and microdiscectomy are performed on the basis of the cause as well as the duration of the sciatica pain.
- In some cases, the symptoms are unique on the basis of the underlying causes of sciatica. For instance, trying to bend the body backward or walking a longer distance than normal may trigger unbearable symptoms. On the other hand, when the affected individual tries to bend the body forward, it can lead to symptoms stemming from the lumbar herniated disc.
- In case sciatica occurs after an accident, injury or trauma, or if it happens in tandem with other symptoms, then it requires an immediate medical attention.
Thus, choosing to go for a surgery depends on several factors that only your doctor can assess and decide upon.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!