Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Flexible Partial Dentures Procedure
Acrylic Dentures Procedure
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Kavitha KoviYour feedback matters!
One thing that can put away talking to someone very interesting is bad breath. And it is not an uncommon problem. While most just try to use mouth wash and chewing gums to keep it away, it is important to note that bad breath can be a sign of underlying causes, both in the mouth and the body as a whole.
Identifying the reason can help in early diagnosis and prompt treatment of the actual disease condition.
There could be oral and general causes for bad breath or halitosis as it is medically called. Food habits and other lifestyle habits including smoking can also lead to bad breath.
- Presence of food debris in a moist environment (saliva) is ideal for the oral bacteria to act on the food particles and break them down. This causes a bad breath, when it leads to plaque formation and it then calcifies into a hardened substance called calculus. Plaque and calculus are the main ingredients for tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Severe tooth decay leads to bad breath as does periodontal infections. In severe cases, there could even be abscess formation in the root area of the tooth with pus formation
- Unclean dentures are another source of halitosis. There could be food lodged in between teeth or the undersurface of the denture, leading to bad breath.
- Dry mouth or xerostomia - Certain diseases and drugs can lead to dry mouth with reduced amounts of saliva. Saliva has a natural flushing effect on the bacteria, and in its absence, the bacteria thrive, leading to a bad odour.
General health: Chronic diseases like gastroesophageal reflux disease, digestive disorders, liver disorders, cancer, and diabetes can lead to bad breath.
- Long-term smoking and/or chewing tobacco and alcohol are also reasons for bad breath.
- Crash diets: People on low-carb diets can have a bad breath, owing to burning of the fat and producing ketones, which have a strong smell.
- Medications: Nitrates to reduce angina, chemotherapy agents for cancer, phenothiazines for anxiety can all lead to bad breath. They reduce saliva and/or release chemicals causing bad breath.
Management: The first step in managing halitosis is to nail the cause down, which makes it easier to treat.
- Start with oral hygiene check, and if there is decay or gum disease, consider restorations and cleaning.
- Mouth rinses can be used in the maintenance phase.
- Cessation of tobacco use should be considered.
- General health conditions like GERD should be managed
- Artificial saliva in cases of xerostomia
- Alternative medications if they are causing the bad breath
Oral breath is definitely embarrassing but can be managed very easily.
What is scaling?
Over time, even with regular brushing and flossing, plaque (sticky, soft, bacteria infected layer) and tartar (calcium) deposits build up on your teeth. Scaling removes the tartar and plaque with specialised equipment. Scaling effectively cleans up your teeth by using ultrasound to loosen the tartar and then using tools to scrape it off from the surface of the tooth.
What is polishing?
Polishing is done to remove excess plaque and remove stains. Scaling is always followed by polishing. Polishing also smoothes and shines the teeth to prevent plaque from building up again. It is either done by foam or fluoride gel treatment to reduce the possibility of tooth decay and sensitivity.
Why are they done?
Scaling and polishing are not only done for cosmetic reasons; they are also done for overall oral health. Excessive plaque and tartar buildup will eventually lead to the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive and multiply. The ultimate purpose of polishing and scaling is to clean the surface of the teeth so that the bacteria cannot attach to them and cause serious oral problems (such as gum disease). Also, scaling and polishing offer far better cleaning of your teeth than everyday brushing and flossing.
However, scaling and polishing is not a curative treatment. If your teeth have been damaged by cavities or other oral diseases, you need medical attention.
In fact, professionally, this treatment is called prophylactic treatment; and the word ‘prophylactic’ comes from prophylaxis, which is Greek for ‘to prevent disease’. Thus scaling and polishing is more of a preventive measure than a cure.
Do they hurt?
This process is essentially painless. Most of the people who undergo this treatment usually have the following experiences:
- Tickling sensation
- Coolness from the water used to clean the mouth
- Pressure during the scraping process (The dentist uses specialised tools to “scrape” the tartar deposits off the tooth’s surface). If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
I am suffering from mouth ulcers from 5-6 months. After using gel they got reduced but after 10-12 days they came back again. Please tell me what to do.
Sir my mother whose age is 47 feels pain in her back and also pain in her teeth so please tell the solution for these problems.
I often get mouth ulcers. I am dibetic but under control by tablets only. Undergone angioplasty in march 2016. Now fine.
I have pain in my teeth which is done rootcenal last 4 month ago if my teeth ia not live how it can pain please explain?
I m 26years old male and I have teeth problem while eating food my teeth give like current shock type this problem start 4months ago what what should I do.
People who are at high risk of tooth decay due to high sugar and starch diets; receding gums, poor oral hygiene, orthodontic treatment etc. Can use sodium fluoride anti cavity toothpaste under the dentist's guidance.
These products like tooth mousse or cream is a break through in anti cavity therapy, which helps strengthen teeth to protect them from decay and also contains mild abrasive that removes stains.
Dr. Puja bansal
Prudent international health clinic http://www.prudentdentalclinic.com
If you’re pregnant or planning to become pregnant, here’s what you can do to prevent dental problems :
1. Brush and floss
2. Get cleanings every 6 months
3. Eat right
4. Chew gum and drink water
5. Treat infections
Awareness At Its Best !
My two teeth are damaged by cavities and one teeth was replaced the other teeth is going to pain so I want remedies to solve this problem and I want remedies to make my teeth white because they are yellow now.
Today morning when I wake up before cleaning my teeth while I was spitting the night larva of mouth I found blood into that. Kindly share the reason for this & remedy.
I am 65 years old. I am regularly taking Statin 20 mg and ecosprin 75 mg. My gum are receding and bleeding.
I am suffering from painful and big size and no of ulcers in full mouth and throat. Frequency recurrence, and systemic disease like diabetes No or cardiac disease Only high BP. Medicine taken - tab belae fore, candid mouth paint, cyca d, ducort-30, medrol, dologel, zempred, dapsone, moza- tab. These are since last 10 months.
Hello sir my name is Sudheer my age is just 20 year I am suffering from big problem. What is my problem is I did not get my teeth white after I use my paste please suggested me some tooth pastes?
If you ever see any white patches in your mouth please do visit a dentist for proper check up as it could be an unavoidable disease. It can be scrapable or non scrapable. White patches can be seen due cheek bites if you have any sharp tooth it can hurt your oral mucosa all you can do is do visit your dentist he/she will the round off the sharp point as it is necessary to avoid further development of any pathology.
Keep your diet healthy add more fruits and green vegetables in your diet will do the added benefits.