Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Pediatricians online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. KanchanYour feedback matters!
Dear sir I am asking this for my son who has just completed 9 month on 25th. Last 2 days he was having dehydration which we thought is bcz he is getting the teeth. He has suddenly starting avoiding his formula milk or any milk which he use to take regularly. He is even not interested in any food and living in ORS. What should we do please suggest.
Iron is an essential nutrient and mineral that is required by adults and children alike. Iron helps move oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body and helps muscles store and use oxygen. It is especially important for children because it aids development and prevents anaemia. Untreated iron deficiency in children can cause physical and mental delays. It can lead to less healthy red blood cells in the child's blood stream which will cause a delay in the growth of physical and mental faculties.
Risk factors for iron deficiency in children
Infants and children at highest risk of iron deficiency include:
- Babies who are born prematurely or have a low birth weight
- Babies who drink cow's milk before age 1
- Breast-fed babies who aren't given complementary foods containing iron after age 6 months
- Babies who drink formula that isn't fortified with iron
- Children ages 1 to 5 who drink more than 24 ounces (710 milliliters) of cow's milk, goat's milk or soy milk a day
- Children who have certain health conditions, such as chronic infections or restricted diets
- Children ages 1 to 5 who have been exposed to lead
- Adolescent girls also are at higher risk of iron deficiency because their bodies lose iron during menstruation.
Symptoms of iron deficiency anaemia
The signs and symptoms of iron deficiency anaemia in children may include:
- Pale skin
- Fatigue or weakness
- Slow cognitive and social development
- Inflammation of the tongue
- Difficulty maintaining body temperature
- Increased likelihood of infections
- Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or pure starch
Prevent iron deficiency in children
Take steps to prevent iron deficiency in your child by paying attention to his or her diet. For example:
- Breast-feed or use iron-fortified formula. Breast-feeding until your child is age 1 is recommended. If you don't breast-feed, use iron-fortified infant formula.
- Encourage a balanced diet. When you begin serving your baby solids, typically between ages 4 months and 6 months, feed him or her foods with added iron, such as iron-fortified baby cereal. For older children, good sources of iron include red meat, chicken, fish, beans and dark green leafy vegetables. Between ages 1 and 5, don't allow your child to drink more than 24 ounces (710 milliliters) of milk a day.
- Enhance absorption. Vitamin C helps promote the absorption of dietary iron. You can help your child absorb iron by offering foods rich in vitamin C, such as melon, strawberries, kiwi, broccoli, tomatoes and potatoes.
- Consider iron supplements. If your baby was born prematurely or with a low birth weight or you're breast-feeding a baby older than 4 months and he or she isn't eating two or more servings a day of iron-rich foods, talk to a child's doctor about oral iron supplements.
Make sure that you watch out for the tell tale signs of iron deficiency and take the necessary precautions to avoid the same. If you wish to discuss about any specific child related problem, you can consult a specilized pediatrician and ask a free question.
I have a 5 month baby and she is suffering from loose motions (6-7) times a day. I got her stool tested in lab and result of reducing substance is weakly positive. The doctor advised that mother feed is having lactose content. please suggest me.
Hi I have a 10 month baby girl. Her teeth not come yet. Please suggest and weight not increasing. Her weight is 8 kg
3 crucial things a newborn needs the most
Newborns primarily need your love, care, and attention. If you aren't sure whether you're on the right track with your little one, read on to find out the 3 most important things that your newborn needs:
1. Skin-to-skin contact: one of the best ways to speed up the bonding process with your newborn is by having as much as possible skin-to-skin contact with your child. This is important as the newborn connects through smell and touch during this time. The senses of your baby are naturally tuned to react to the feel of your bare skin and your distinctive smell.
Many studies also suggest that close physical contact can help in reducing stress in your newborn so as to allow its biological drive to come through and easily latch onto your breast to feed itself. In other words, it ensures a higher chance of getting the newborn started on breast milk in case your child is not taking to your breasts easily.
2. To be breastfed: the best food for your baby is milk that is produced by you. Breast milk offers a host of benefits that go beyond basic nourishment. According to research conducted by the national institute of environmental health sciences, a child faces 20% lower chances of dying between the ages of 28 days and 1 year if he or she is breastfed.
Protecting your child from illnesses such as childhood cancers or type 1 and type 2 diabetes, allergies, and obesity are some of the very important benefits that mother's milk can provide.
3. Swaddling your baby right: wrapping a blanket snugly around the body of your newborn can help calm your little one and promote sleep. Several studies reveal that this technique of swaddling (which is done to resemble the mother's womb) if done correctly can bring about longer and better sleep for your child as well as reduce instances of crying. It also ensures your baby stays warm and comfortable.
My son is entering middle school in the fall. What advice can I give him if he finds himself on the receiving end of cyberbullying?
Hello. Can I give Pediasure nutrition powder to my daughter. She is one year 2 months old. Please suggest.
Motor tics are generally experienced by children, and the symptoms can last up to one year. This disorder is characterised by brief and uncontrolled spasm like motions which are also accompanied by screams and other outbursts. If the physical and vocal tics come together for each attack, then the condition is known as Tourette Syndrome. Motor tics may occur due to problems in the functioning of the neurotransmitters in the child’s brain. These are chemicals that are usually responsible for transmitting signals throughout the brain, and a malfunction can lead to serious issues. Here are a few Homeopathic ways of dealing with this disorder.
Selective Treatment: Homeopathy will provide a form of ad hoc care that can help in treating the various symptoms that are associated with these tics. The symptoms include obsessive compulsive disorder as well as the tendency of exhibitionism. Also, the mechanical repetition of actions with head jerking movements and lip biting as well as wincing are some of the main symptoms that one will experience in such cases. While most of these symptoms tend to vanish as one progresses towards adulthood, it has been found that Ignata and Cuprum Metallicum are some of the Homeopathic medicines that can help in treating these symptoms, as well as painful facial tics. Agaricus Muscarius can also help in treating the symptoms of motor tics.
Prevention: The point of Homeopathy medication is also to prevent the occurrence of such tics. Cina 15 CH can be prescribed for this purpose along with Zinc Metallicum. Also, these medicines will help in treating the anxiety that the child may feel when suffering from this condition. Further, many Homeopath doctors will recommend and administer a Hyoscyamus based treatment to deal with this aspect of the condition. Hysteria and violent movements can also be prevented with the help of Staphysagria.
Involuntary Movements: The treatment of involuntary movements felt as a part of this condition can take place with the help of Homeopathic medicines like Sepia, China, Zinc and Lycopodium. A Gelasium-based treatment can also be prescribed in case the tics are accompanied by violent head movements and hysterical fits.
Visit to a Doctor: For most Homeopathic treatments, especially for conditions like these, it is important that you visit the doctor for physical examination. Based on your symptoms, the doctor will provide the right dosage and right treatment. Also its important to monitor the progress so that the diseased can be managed. In some cases, if the symptoms cannot be contained by the medication, one may require immediate hospitalisation. The doctor may also check for symptoms related to Parkinson’s disease, as many times tics are a symptom of this disease, especially when they are experienced by adults. In most cases, these patients react well to Homeopathy based treatment methods.
1years old boy. Motion several (3--4) times in the afternoon with little mass and more fluid, and the skin around the anus get irritated with red colour and the child cry loudly for a long time. The fluid seems to be acidic. The child take only homely food such as rice, wheat, milk, banana and thrice NAN milk powder. What to do? Any change in the feeding?
Homeopathy and its role in treating ADHD
A brain disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is characterized by a continuous pattern of hyperactivity and inattention, resulting in interference with normal development and functioning. The term is applied to both adults and children who exhibit these two characteristics over a long period of time. The condition is usually discovered during a child's early school years, between the third and sixth year (during which he or she may display problems associated with attention) and can go on into adulthood. Although medications are available under western medical science for treating this condition, they aren't free from any side effects.
Which remedies are generally used for treating ADHD?
Homeopathic remedies can help in easing some of the symptoms of this condition, making it easy for children to take part in normal school and social activities. A homeopath prescribes the relevant remedies after having a clear understanding of your characteristics. Some of the medicines that are used for treating the condition are Cina, Hyoscyamus Niger and Stramonium. While Cina is prescribed for alleviating aggressive behavior, Stramonium is recommended for treating fears or PTSD and Hyoscyamus Niger for sexualized or manic symptoms. But the one remedy that is most preferred for treating the varied symptoms of ADHD is Tarentula Hispana.
How is homeopathy different from conventional medicine?
When it comes to the homeopathic treatment approach for ADHD, it differs from conventional western medicine in two very different ways. Firstly, the treatment is personalized to suit your needs and health condition. For this reason, the remedy that is suggested to you differs from the one that is suggested to another individual. Such an approach allows a homeopath to better help you by addressing your specific symptoms compared to the conventional treatment of ADHD. Secondly, it treats the condition using smaller doses of the remedies and not higher doses so as to not aggravate the symptoms of ADHD.
In addition to being safe and non-toxic, when these homeopathic remedies are taken along with dietary modifications and lifestyle changes, they can bring about vital improvements in your health.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
Related Tip: Does Homeopathy Offer A Permanent Solution For PCOS?