Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Ophthalmologists online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. K. Narsing Rao
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. K. Narsing RaoYour feedback matters!
What Is Myopia (Nearsightedness)?
Myopia is a common refractive error of the eye that makes it difficult to focus on far away objects. People who are nearsighted will see objects close to them clearly, while those further away appear blurry. Myopia is natural. An overall longer shape of the eye usually causes myopia, so it is a naturally occurring visual problem that cannot be prevented. Nearsightedness tends to run in families, but you don't need to have a myopic parent to develop it. Myopia begins at an early age and worsens in the teenage years, but generally stabilizes in adulthood.
Here are the most common signs and symptoms of myopia:
- Objects far away, like a chalkboard or road signs, appear blurry
- Persistent need to squint or close eyelids to see clearly
- Headaches due to eyestrain
- Difficulty seeing while driving a vehicle, especially at night (night myopia)
- Need to sit closer to the television, movie screen or the front of the classroom
- Holding books very close while reading
- Not able to notice distant objects
Causes of Myopia
Nearsightedness happens when your eye is longer than normal, or, less often, when your cornea is too curved. It’s a problem in the focusing mechanism of the eyes. However, the exact cause of myopia is not known. Research about myopia supports two key risk factors:
- Family history. If one or both parents are nearsighted, the chance of their children developing it increases.
- Working up close. Myopia may be helped along by how a person uses their eyes. Intense detail work, long hours in front of a computer or reading can also increase the chances of developing myopia.
Treatment Options for Myopia (Nearsightedness)
When treating myopia, the goal is to help your eyes focus on far away objects. The most common way to achieve this is through
- Corrective glasses
- Contact lenses
- Refractive eye surgery, such as LASIK, is available for adults and those with moderate to high levels of nearsightedness
Adults who have developed cataracts may also have their myopia corrected with an intraocular lens (IOL) that replaces the human lens during cataract surgery. The most appropriate treatment depends on your eyes and your lifestyle. Nearsightedness can also be corrected as part of the cataract surgery procedure.
- Contacts and Glasses: Eyeglasses and contact lenses can correct myopia. However, they cannot stop the eye from growing longer or cure the irregular curve of the cornea that causes your blurry vision.
- Surgery: Surgery can decrease or eliminate dependency on eyeglasses and contact lenses. LASIK surgery is the most common type of surgery to correct myopia.
- ICL (intraocular collamer lenses) or phakic lensesIn adults with cataracts, is an option for those myopic patients who are not suitable for lasik surgery due to either less corneal thickness or very high myopia.
- Orthokeratology: A new type of treatment which offers an alternate solutions to people who are suffering from myopia. This is also known as Ortho-K. As a part of this procedure a person has to wear specialized lens overnight, to correct the vision for the next day. Orthokeratology is a process that uses specially designed GP contact lenses to temporarily reshape the contour of the cornea to reduce myopia (nearsightedness). In addition to the benefit of lens-free daytime vision, orthokeratology is starting to be appreciated for its ability to slow the progression of myopia. A number of published clinical studies have found that orthokeratology lens designs inhibit the growth of the eye's axial length, which determines the degree of myopia. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Eyes have often been ignored by a lot of us and if you ask around as to how many times a week anyone did something to improve eyes, the most probable answer is zero. Being your window to the world, and with increasing time being spent on watching TV and computers, it is important to pay attention to your eyes.
- Eyes are one of the most important organs in the body. Upkeep of eyes involves many steps. Habits like not continuously staring at screens or monitors, which leads to straining of eyes and ensuring proper lighting while using your eyes are some of the healthy habits. Sleep is also important to ensure eyes are maintained healthy.
- If proper care for eyes is not taken, it can result in various eye conditions such as age related macular degeneration and cataracts, which is a leading cause of blindness in the world.The Ayurvedic name for defective eyesight is ‘Drishti Dosha’. Alochaka Pitta is responsible for maintaining eyesight and it weakens with age. To ensure good healthy eyes, proper caring for the eyes is one preventative measure that helps. A few causes of defective eyesight include prolonged constipation, nervous debility, prolonged common cold, stress, diabetes, excessive smoking, alcohol intake and caffeinated drinks.
- Yogic eye exercises, if done daily, are a gentle and effective way to prevent vision problems from developing. Foods like apple, sprouted chickpeas and raw carrots, along with almonds, green leafy vegetables and wheat bread provide nourishment for eyes
- We have extensive programme for eyes and rehabilitation of eyesight.
My headache is not getting alright. It is continuous from 5 days. When I wake up it is actually normal but as I get in light or sunlight it started and also eye pain occurs What is it? What would I do? I can not concentrate on any thing because of it. Pls help.
◦An easy home remedy to soothe red eyes is a ice pack. Use it as a cold compress for 5 minutes on each eye, twice a day.
◦Another natural cure for red and itchy eyes is a simple splash of cold water. This can be done many times a day whenever relief is needed from red eye.
◦Rosewater is a gentle home remedy that takes away bloodshot eyes. Soak 2 sterile cotton balls with rose water, close the eyes and place a cotton ball on each eye. Leave this on for 15 minutes, twice a day.
◦If you are wondering how to remove red eyes with a safe and natural cure, a time-tested way to soothe sire eyes is to place a slice of cold cucumber over each closed eye and leave it on for 15 minutes.
◦Steep 2 bags of green tea for 2 minutes in hot water and remove. Put the teabags in the fridge and when they are cool, place them on the closed eyes and leave it for 15 minutes. This will reduce signs of fatigue and swelling.
◦Bilberry is an herb that has been proven to treat eye-related ailments.
◦Boil ½ tsp of fennel seeds in 1 cup of water and let them steep for 25 minutes. Then, drain the water out and use it as an eye rinse.
◦Homeopathic natural eye drops are available from health food stores that mimic natural tears. This is a great alternative to regular eye drops.
◦Sleep is probably the best home remedy for red eyes.