Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dermatologists in India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Laser Hair Removal
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Care Treatment
Skin Diseases Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Wart Removal Technique
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Stretch Marks Treatment
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Liver Problems Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Jagdish M JyotiYour feedback matters!
I have too much of hairfall with dandruff and also it has become dry and rough. Please advise remedy for it.
Luscious, healthy hair is undoubtedly one of the most prominent feature that adds charm to your personality. However, a minor or severe form of physical or mental stress and related problems can adversely affect your hair health and growth pattern.
Are you losing too many hair strands in a day?
If yes, then tentatively, how many?
If the number is about 100, then you need not worry, however, if it is beyond 100 you need to get cautious.
On an average, an adult has 100,000 to 150,000 hair and each hair follicle has its own life cycle, and traverses through three phases during its growth phase; anagen (active hair growth takes place), catagen (transitional hair growth), and telogen (resting phase after which the hair sheds off). Hair fall is a normal physiological process in which the hair completes its life cycle and sheds off. However, excessive hair fall is a health concern that needs thorough evaluation and treatment.
Have you heard of telogen effluvium?
Telogen effluvium (TE) also called as hair loss is a common dermatological condition which causes increased shedding of hair. This happens when there is a premature arrest of the growth of hair follicles and these follicles enter into the telogen phase (resting) followed by diffuse thinning of hair on the scalp. In most cases, the hair thins on the top of the scalp compared to the sides and back of the scalp. The hair loss is temporary and the hair soon recovers.
How common is telogen effluvium in India?
Studies suggest that TE is amongst the most common cause of hair loss. It can occur in both males and females. However, it is found to be more common in females.
What are the common causes of telogen effluvium?
Common causes of TE include certain medical condition, stress, pregnancy, crash dieting, nutritional deficiencies, intake of certain medicines, and physical trauma.
A common cause of hair loss in the Indian population is diet. A major proportion of the Indian population consumes a diet lacking essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, predisposing the population to this condition. It, therefore, becomes more important to include vital minerals such as zinc, amino acids (such as L-lysine), and vitamins (such as B6 and B12) to your daily diet or to take supplements available in the market.
Are Indians at an increased risk of nutritional deficiencies?
Yes, Indians are at an increased risk of nutritional deficiencies. Several research studies conducted in the past outline a direct association of nutritional deficiencies with hair loss.
In fact, according to a clinical survey published in Indian Medical Gazette, 9 out of 10 people in the country are unable to consume adequate amount of proteins. Working population settled in urban areas have been found to be most commonly affected by protein deficiencies.
How can you ensure healthy and luscious hair?
Simple 7 steps to healthy hair
Volumes of literature support the need for adding nutritional supplements to the diet to avert the occurrence of hair fall. Often TE gets better once the trigger for the condition is taken care of. However, if in case it persists make sure you consult a medical professional at the earliest.
Step 1: It’s all about what you eat (have a BALANCED DIET!!!)
- Considering the fact, that a major part of the Indian population are green eaters and they often run short of essential nutrients, one needs to make a conscious effort to have a balanced and nutrient rich diet.
- Add green leafy vegetables that are an abundant source of iron, zinc, and other vitamins and minerals that are essential for healthy hair growth. Add PROTEIN to your diet. Include milk products, soya products, nuts, fish, lean meat seeds, sprouts, and cereals to your daily diet.
- Opt for foods packed with vitamin E, like almonds, walnuts, or strawberries which improve scalp circulation, as well as vitamin C-rich foods like broccoli, tomatoes, and other citrus fruits.
Step 2: Massage your scalp regularly
Massage has been found to improve the blood circulation to the hair follicles and stimulates hair growth. Try essential oils such as olive oil, castor oil, rosemary oil, and coconut oil to massage your scalp. Warm oil helps penetrate the scalp more effectively. You can also apply hair serums that are enriched with nutrients that nourish the hair and keep it healthy.
Step 3: Choose your SHAMPOO wisely
Watch out for harsh chemicals like parabens, lauryl sulfate, and sodium chloride. Parabens which are used as preservatives in shampoos can mimic as estrogens which lead to hair loss. Lauryl sulfate, an anionic surfactant used in many cleaning and hygiene products, also cause hair fall. You can also apply certain over-the-counter products that help in better penetration of anti-hair fall medications and enhance their action.
Step 4: Get sufficient Vitamin D (Don’t hide from the sun)
Little do we realize that sunlight actually plays a critical role in promoting hair growth. Sunlight helps you get your daily dose of Vitamin D which is helpful in managing hair fall, so don’t hide from it!
Step 5: Say NO to stress
Stress is amongst the key factors governing a happier and healthier you. So, make sure it does not serve as a roadblock in your health.
Eat healthy and bring in basic lifestyle changes in your day to day life to avert the chances of triggered hair fall.
Step 6: Go for hair growth supplements
-Keratin makes up most of our hair strands and amino acids such as cysteine, lysine, arginine, and methionine play a critical role in the formation of the hair strands. The market is loaded with several supplements (oral and topical) that help to provide the hair with essential nutrients and vitamins. You can choose to pick supplements that are a source of vital minerals and vitamins essential for hair growth.
- In case your hair fall tends to worsen or does not improve with dietary and lifestyle changes, it is best to consult a dermatologist. He/she will examine your scalp and may suggest certain tests to rule out any underlying cause of hair fall. He/she may also prescribe some topical or oral medications and supplements to help manage hair fall better.
- So, go ahead and try these simple and effective everyday tips to ensure that your hair stays healthy and strong.
How to get rid of scabies in scalp? Using shikakai but no use. Permethrin lotion giving temporary relief for some time. Running out of bottle. And am getting holes in face. My doc suggested me eukroma cream to apply on face at night for pigmentation. Does it cause holes? I am confused. Seeking for your medical assistance. thanks very much.
I am 23 yrs old, I want to become fair because I have tan marks on nose, cheeks and above my lips so what I have to do to remove those tan pls help me?
I have very weak hair. N facing too much hair fall for 4 years. Im an asthma patient . Kindly suggest me home remedies, ayurvedic oil n shampoo to make my hair healthier as before.
My mother having uric acid issue, she is facing joint pain which is moving with in leg. She is allergic patient (quonlome) group. Suggest the medicine while considering the mentioned by me.
On my face black marks arises. I used many face packs. Many medicines but no effect. Can you help me what should i do?
I have got folliculitis on my back, the pimple got burst and puss came out. The area is red with scar in between. What medication should be taken to heal it?
I was consulting the skin doctor. Dr. has given this medicine for me that is UV AVO SUNSCREEN LOTION. What purpose to use that and when I use this lotion tell me clearly. I bought that lotion is may be 7 days, but I didn't used that because I don't know when I used and how many times use per day suggests me sir.
I am 25 year old, gender male, I have a pimple problem and dark spot, my tone is not fare. What shoul I do.
1. Fenugreek Methi : Seeds of fenugreek consist of rich hormone antecedents that help in hair growth and repairs hair follicles. These also consist of nicotinic acid and proteins strengthen the hair growth.Soak the fenugreek seeds in water overnight and grind it in the next morning to fine paste. Apply this fenugreek seed paste to hair and leave it for 30 minutes. Rinse off the hair. Follow it for month to see best results.
2. Aloe vera: Usage of aloe vera to hair may reduce hair from scalp and itching. Alkalizing property in aloe vera improves the hairs pH levels which promote hair growth. Even aloe vera gel can fight with dandruff. Take an aloe vera leaf extract the gel and apply that gel to the hair. Leave it for hours and wash the hair with warm water. Follow this procedure for 3 – 4 times a week for better results.
3. Onion Juice: The sulpfur content in the onions improves blood circulation to hair follicles. Onion juice consists of anti bacterial properties that scratch the germs and parasites. Apply the onion juice on the scalp and leave it for half hour. Later shampoo your hair.
4. Hair oil massage: Proper hair and scalp massage will increase blood flow to the hair follicles, condition the scalp, and enhance the strength of your hair’s roots. It will also promote relaxation and reduce feelings of stress.You can use hair oils like coconut or almond oil, olive oil, castor oil, amla oil, or others. Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to the base oil for better and faster results.
5.Indian Gooseberry(Amla) : Use Indian gooseberry / amla for fast natural hair growth. Amla consists of rich vitamin C. If you have deficiency in the body this may results to hair loss. So gooseberry can help to maintain a healthy scalp and gives good hair growth. Take gooseberry and make pulp. Mix this pulp with lemon juice and massage your scalp with this mixture. Keep this overnight and shampoo in the morning.
6. Spinach and lettuce juice : Spinach and lettuce juice is thought to help with hair growth. Drink once in day this juice for healthy hair growth.
7. Safflower oil : For preventing hair loss and baldness this safflower oil is used. This oil is having rich monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids which are vital for healthy hair. You can find two varieties of safflower oils in the market where both are used for hair care. Safflower oil is helpful for perm, colored and dry hair. Use safflower oil for massaging into scalp. Leave it for 1 hour and rinse the hair. Use it every week to get healthy hair.
8. Potato Water: Lack of proper vitamins may cause to have a dry and delicate hair. Potato, can give you longer and thicker hair growth. Use potato water for rinsing the hair. After boiling the potatoes in water, let the water gets cool for some time and use that water for your hair after shampooing. Just rinse your hair with potato water.
9. Hibiscus : It promotes hair growth, this flower can also be used to cure dandruff, prevent split ends, thicken hair and prevent premature graying.Add 10 Chinese Hibiscus flowers to two cups of coconut oil.Heat the solution until charred. Strain it to collect the oil.Apply the oil on your hair before going to bed. Wash your hair in the morning.Repeat this a few times a week.
10. Beetroot juice : Beetroot juice contains carbohydrates, protein, potassium, phosphorus, calcium and vitamins B and C. All these nutrients are essential for healthy hair growth.Thus include fresh beet root juice in your diet.