Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Deepa Agarwal
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Submit a review for Dr. Deepa AgarwalYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I had undergone a very critical spine surgery and was completely under bed rest with extremely minimal activity. It was a must for me to lose weight to avoid further complications for my spine. Hence the surgeon forwarded my case Dr. Deepa to change my diet in order to reduce my weight. I was worried if I would be able to achieve that without any physical activities but Dr. Deepa has been with me through every step of this wonderful (okay! slightly sad in the beginning to not eat my favorite foods :D ) journey. She helped me lose about 15kgs through very flexible and varied diet plans which were not monotonous and also consisted tasty and healthy dishes. I owe all my success to her and also my willpower to follow the diet. So I am very happy to achieve such a thing and to become a NEW ME with healthier and lighter body. Thank You Dr. Deepa for helping me with this!
Its a awesome experience with out diet and in a span of 3 months from 110 kgs to 95 kg i came with a general eaiting diet only
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Deepa Agarwal to be very helpful. Thanku so much mam, nd it will give same result
Good experience. Ms Deepa was very good and she shows utmost interest towards clients
Good. Doctor is friendly and understood my problem and came up with a solution.
She is nice in her profession
Nice in her profession
Bones are very essential for our overall health and movement. Though formed early in life, they constantly require adequate nutrition to manage routine wear and tear. If not done, there could be degeneration of the bone (either rapid onset or progress), which can lead to multiple changes such as limited movement, painful movement and a stooped posture.
- Calcium: This is the most important mineral in the maintenance of strong bones and teeth. Diet is the only source of calcium, and if the body does not receive adequate amounts of it, what is stored in the bones is removed, making the bones fragile and brittle and porous. This condition is known as osteoporosis. Calcium requirements differ across age and gender, and the following food items are rich sources of calcium:
- Vitamin D: More than calcium, the body requires vitamin D, without which calcium cannot be absorbed into the blood stream. Vitamin D is present in the gut. It is responsible for absorption of calcium and maintains serum calcium and phosphorus levels. Vitamin D is again received through a combination of sun and diet. Common sources of vitamin D include:
- Fatty fish such as tuna, salmon and mackerel
- Dairy products like cheese and milk
- Fortified products including beverages and dairy products
- Mushrooms, cereals, etc.
- Unlike calcium, Vitamin D can be produced in the system naturally when the body is exposed to sunlight. However, in people who do not receive adequate sun, supplements are also useful.
- Others: Though Vitamin D and calcium are the main components, the following are equally important for bone health.
- Phosphorus: As part of bone crystals, it is found in meat and dairy products. Phosphorus absorption is better if there is adequate vitamin D.
- Magnesium: This is responsible for bone strength. Older people may need magnesium supplements.
- Vitamin A: It is essential for normal skeletal growth and is found in liver, butter, eggs, carrots, and green leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin C: It is present in citrus fruits, tomatoes, etc. and is necessary for collagen synthesis.
Tips for maintaining optimal bone health:
- Have plenty of dairy products and soft fish.
- Reduce intake of acidic foods.
- Improve alkaline food intake.
- Increase intake of antioxidants and lycopene-rich foods.
- Moderate alcohol content.
- Reduce caffeine, soda, and sodium.
- Ensure optimal weight management so there is no added pressure on the knees and ankles.
- Maintain optimal levels of physical activity to ensure mobility.
Eating right not only keeps you healthy but can also make you look prettier and give you clearer skin. Given that the skin is the largest organ in the human body, it is where deficiencies are most noticeable. Here are a few foods that can enhance your looks.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is packed with proteins and amino acids that help repair skin cells and keep your skin looking fresh. Amino acids also help banish dark circles that may appear after a long night.
- Kidney beans: Kidney beans and legumes are packed with proteins that help repair cell damage caused by free radicals. They also help break down amino acids that can then boost collagen production and help in the repair and regeneration of skin cells.
- Pomegranates: These fruits are rich sources of anti-oxidants and help get rid of toxins from the body. They are also responsible for increasing the body’s production of collagen. By boosting collagen levels, pomegranates help slow down the aging process.
- Avocados: This green fruit can be both eaten and applied on the face to benefit from it. It is a rich source of biotin that helps prevent brittle nails and hair and keeps skin well moisturized. When applied as a face mask, avocados can also hydrate parched skin.
- Green tea: Green tea is rich in polyphenols that help eradicate free radicals from the body and slow down the aging process. It’s anti-oxidant properties also keep skin elastic and prevent sagging, fine lines, wrinkles and heal the damage caused by sunspots.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene and are considered to be a high carotenoid fruit which helps prevents sunburn and relieves the damage caused by excessive exposure to the sun. Tomatoes can also slow down the cellular damage caused by free radicals.
- Salmon: Salmon is packed with Omega-3 fatty acids that help fight stress and the effects of stress. The astaxanthin present in salmon improves the elasticity of skin thus keeping it firm and preventing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Walnuts: For vegetarians, walnuts are an excellent alternative to salmon. They are rich in omega 3 fatty acids that helps keep the skin looking youthful and add shine to your hair.
- Water: Hydrating the skin from inside and outside is essential. Water helps the skin maintain its tautness and elasticity and prevents drying and premature signs of aging. Water also helps transport essential nutrients to the skin. Apart from drinking water it is also beneficial to eat foods with a high water content such as cucumbers and watermelon to benefit from the hydrating properties of water.
- Oysters: Oysters are rich in zinc that helps regulate oil production in the skin. In turn this makes the skin less prone to acne breakouts and other such skin irregularities.
Diuretics are substances that allow the body to get rid of excess water and sodium. They help in draining out the water by stimulating the kidneys and eliminate sodium from the urine thus, facilitating drainage of excess water. Diuretics are prescribed by the doctor when the body starts to retain excessive fluids.
The conditions that lead to problems such as:
1. High blood pressure: This is a disorder wherein the blood exerts more than the normal force (pressure) against the arterial walls while flowing through them.
3. Kidney stones: Kidney stones refer to the formation of stones in the kidneys that can hamper the normal functioning of the kidney, leading to fluid retention in the body.
4. Edema: A disorder wherein parts of the body tend to swell due to inflammation is called ‘edema’.
5. Impaired functioning of the kidney: Impaired functioning of the kidneys makes it very difficult to flush out the excess sodium from the body thus, leading to fluid retention.
There are certain natural diuretics, which can come to your aid in times such as these. Read on to know more:
1. Parsley: Parsley, a very effective diuretic, is an herb that is commonly used for garnishing. It can also help in relieving bladder problems.
2. Black and green tea: Both green and black variants of the humble tea are very effective diuretics; you can enjoy them after a heavy meal to get rid of the bloating.
3. Hawthorn: A type of natural diuretic that is effective in reducing fluid accumulation and increasing urinary excretion. It also helps in treating problems of the kidney.
4. Juniper: A diuretic that has been used since ancient times. Juniper is very effective in removing excess salt and fluids from the body. The advantage of this plant is that it does not lower downs the level of potassium in the body, a side effect of other diuretics.
Curd is a staple in every household in India; whether it is served with piping hot parathas or by itself after a meal. The simple food item is packed with a number of nutrients and helps in increasing the health benefits in your body.
Here are a few reasons why you should be eating curd, almost every day:
- Probiotics help in digestion: Curd, being rich in probiotics (good bacteria), improves digestion as it kills all the harmful bacteria in the digestive tract and aids the proliferation of good bacteria. Probiotics also help in the prevention of various digestive issues such as cramps, bloating and abdominal pain caused due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Promotes weight loss around the belly: A hormone called cortisol, also called the ‘stress hormone’ persuades the fat cells to produce more fat around your belly area. Consuming a cup of curd daily increases the amount of calcium in your body which limits the release of cortisol, thus, helping you lose weight. Curd also retains one-third of lean muscle mass which helps you maintain your physique post those dropped kilos for a longer time.
- Curd strengthens your immunity system: A cup of curd is loaded with good bacteria which is essential for fighting off germs, thereby making your immune system stronger and more persistent. Making curd a part of your daily diet is a great idea as it is effective in preventing yeast infections around the vaginal area.
- Toughens up your skeletal system: Like all dairy products, curd is rich in calcium which is necessary for strong bones and teeth. Apart from calcium, curd is rich in phosphorous and together, they quicken the bone growth process and helps in preventing arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Helps in improving cardiovascular health: Eating curd helps in improving cardiovascular health as it discourages the spread of cholesterol around the arterial area, thus, reducing the risks of a coronary disease. Curd reduces hypertension which is a pre-cursor to most heart ailments.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Eggs are usually the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of a protein source that is cheap and easily available. You can eat them boiled, fried, scrambled or pair them with other foods. They are a powerhouse of nutrients such as vitamins and minerals that nourish your body.
Here are the reasons why eggs are considered to be the perfect super foods:
- Eggs contain Antioxidants: Eggs contain antioxidants such as Lutein and Zeaxanthin that help in providing nourishment to the eyes. It prevents certain diseases such as macular degeneration and eye cataracts.
- They are a nutrient powerhouse: They contain heart healthy fats, protein, Vitamins, minerals and other trace nutrients. They are also rich in Phosphorus, iron and Vitamin A. Don’t throw the yolk away fearing its cholesterol content as it contains most of the egg’s nutrients.
- They promote satiety: The carbohydrate content in eggs not being excessive, it spares the blood sugar levels from the dreaded spikes. Also, the high protein content of eggs tends to promote satiety. Eating eggs on a regular basis as a part of a healthy diet is known to reduce weight and lead to fat loss.
- They are good for your hair and skin: They contain Vitamin B12 and sulphur, both of them being panaceas of skin and hair related woes. Eggs are known to be the best sources of keratin (a type of protein present in nails and hair) in terms of bioavailability. (Bioavailability is how well a nutrient is absorbed by your body.)
- Boosts good cholesterol levels in the body: Regular egg consumption has been shown to increase good cholesterol levels (HDL) in the body, which in turn reduce chances of stroke and other heart diseases.
- They contain protein in good amounts: Eggs are the cheapest source of proteins and also the most readily available ones. They contain all the 9 essential amino acids that are required by the body. Eggs are one of the most preferred foods to gain muscle as the protein from eggs can easily be absorbed by the body.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Whole grains are called so because they contain parts which have been removed from the refined grains, such as germ and bran. Brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal and buckwheat are a few types of whole grains which are preferred over refined grains such as white rice, flour, etc. Whole grains add a lot of nutrition to the food you consume.
Whole grains are more nutritious: When compared to refined grains, whole grains preserve a lot of nutrients, such as protein and fibre, which help in digestion and make one feel satiated for a long period of time. The whole grains are also packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy fats which add to the nutritional value of the food you consume. Thus, you get more nutritious food for the amount you pay which is usually lost when the grains are refined.
You lose more fat: The higher amount of fibre present in whole grains help in regulating the flow of blood. This reduces the risks of diabetes and because the nutritional value of whole grains is so high, it makes you feel full faster that reduces the portion you consume on a daily basis. This leads to weight loss due to portion control.
They help with the process of digestion: Whole grains have digestive benefits as well. The high fibre content helps in regulating the movement of bowels and helps in getting rid of diverticulosis (development of small pouches in the digestive tract). Diverticulosis causes inflammation, diarrhoea, pain and constipation. Whole grains are also rich in lactic acid that regulate the spread of good bacteria in the large intestine area.
Thus, when compared to refined grains, the health and nutritional benefits are huge which is why you should replace the refined grains with whole grains.
Olive plants grow mainly in the Mediterranean basin and olive oil is extracted from the fruit. It has a wide range of beneficial uses. It is used as a cooking oil, as a pharmaceutical, as a cosmetic, in soaps and creams, and as a fuel. This wonderful extract has worked magic in attaining a healthy living and can also cure you of certain disorders. Let us peek into the world of this lipid legend!
Olive oil is advised to be incorporated in the daily diet to control cholesterol, relieve constipation and aid in weight loss. It is also known to work as an aphrodisiac. The oil improves bone quality, nail growth and helps in development and lustre of hair.
Benefits for the skin
It is used as an ingredient in makeup removers, soaps, and scrubs for better outcomes. Olive oil contains anti-ageing properties that are searched for by almost every middle-aged woman in a population. They are also used as moisturisers and for enhancing the skin quality.
How does it work against diseases?
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants like vitamin E, phyto-nutrients (which act as anti-inflammatory agents), and it works as a preventive agent against cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, osteoporosis, and similar diseases.
Lemon is another all-time favourite citric fruit, found in Asia in large quantities and qualities. It has many health benefits as well. Lemon is also a choice of the general population in both culinary and non-culinary units.
Why are lemons favourable?
Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which is much more than the daily consumable value. They are also packed with flavonoids, iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, vitamin B6, copper, and folates. Modestly, it can be assured that they work as anti-toxic and anti-infectious substances.
How lemons contribute to a healthy lifestyle?
Lemons help in breaking down free radicals, which, when more in number, can cause serious damage to blood vessels and cause cholesterol formation.
- Its citrus quantity helps prevent acne, resulting in a healthy, glowing skin.
- It helps in iron absorption due to its high content of vitamin C
- It relieves problems related to indigestion and constipation.
- It is used in hair care. It can treat dandruff, hair loss, and provide additional shine to the hair.
- It is also good for throat infections, due to its functions as an antibiotic.
These two gifts from nature are so common to the human eye that we fail to provide them the importance they deserve. Nature has provided many such gifts to us. Open your eyes and start searching for more!
It is often difficult for most of us to make your kids eat healthy food and keeping them away from junk and unhealthy food is a much bigger task. It is always easy for them to finish off a packet of chips than a cup of vegetables or fruits. Read on to know some of the healthiest foods that your kid should be biting into.
- Dairy products: These are a great source of proteins, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and other minerals. In addition, yogurt provides good bacteria. Milk and yogurt can also be included into smoothies which will also give them a blend of some fruits. Butter can be used in toasts and sandwiches as these foods are loved by children. You can replace plain milk with milkshakes, they are tastier and the children love them.
- Soups: These are another great source of nutrition, be it chicken or vegetables. They can be a good evening snack and not just prevent the evening hunger pangs but also come packed with a good amount of nutrition and hydration.
- Fruits: Each fruit contains different ingredients. Pick fresh seasonal fruits and incorporate them into your child’s diet as they hold a good amount of nutrients. Fruits provide a good supply of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and good sugars.
- Whole grains: Try a brown bread instead of white, replace refined flour pizza base with atta pizza base and white pasta with wheat pasta. These whole grains provide a lot more fiber and nutrition compared to the refined flours. The idea again is to let the kids eat any of them but on a rotational basis, so that benefits from all foods are derived.
- Vegetables: Get creative when getting the kids to eat vegetables and green leafy vegetables. From soups to salads to curries, try to rotate vegetables, and like fruits, use seasonal ones. They also have chlorophyll which helps improve their energy levels and reduce fatigue.
- Fish: One of the best sources of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, it helps in brain development and building immunity in children, making them less prone to illnesses.
- Nuts: While walnut is a well-known brain food, almonds are amazing for the skin and hair growth. Pecans are a good source of nutrients too. The rich oils in the nuts help fight diseases and are a great source of energy. Substituting the sugar candy with any of the nuts is a great way to indulge them in healthy snacking.
- Eggs: Whatever form, boiled, fried, scrambled, let the child indulge in their choice of eggs. A good source of protein which is very essential for hair, skin, and nails, try to squeeze in 4 eggs a week in your child’s diet.
Ensure these things find a way into the kid’s plate. In addition, some junk or fried stuff is always allowed!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Believed to be used by even Christopher Columbus on his discovery voyage, papaya is known as the angel of fruits. While it is not a taste that most usually enjoy the very first time, it can grow on you slowly and then stick on forever. The raw ones are used in salad and curries, the ripe can be eaten either in solid or liquid form, alone or in combination with other fruits.
Some of the wonderful benefits of papaya are listed below.
- Anti-inflammatory: The various minerals and vitamins (A, B, C, K) in papaya help improve immunity and prevents infections. It also promotes healing of burns and wounds.
- Cholesterol control: The antioxidants, flavonoids and fibre help in cholesterol/plaque accumulation in the arteries. The lipid and triglyceride content can also be reduced with regular consumption of papayas.
- Digestive benefits: The enzyme papain contained in papaya is quite effective in reducing the damage caused by eating junk and oily foods. It helps in breaking down proteins and is, therefore, useful as a home remedy for indigestion. It is also rich in fiber and helps relieve constipation.
- Diabetes: The high fiber content in papaya combined with the low calories (a medium sized fruit contains about 110 calories) is a boon to diabetes patients. They can eat to their full content without feeling guilty of the sugar levels. Some people also consume the flowers (sautéed in oil) to control diabetes.
- Arthritis: The various minerals (potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium) in papaya can help keep a check on arthritis and bone and joint pains in the long run.88499
- Weight loss/ cleansing/ detox: The various minerals and vitamins along with the rich fiber content ensure you get a good detox of the system. Papaya is one of the widely used fruits in people who want to lose weight.
- Antiaging effects: The antioxidants which reduce the rate of inflammation and the multiple vitamins help in looking younger by improving skin, hair, and overall immunity levels.
- Stress buster: Again, the antioxidants and vitamins (C in particular) is a good way to refresh your energy after a long tiring day.
- Anti-cancer effects: The flavonoids, phytonutrients, and antioxidants help to prevent free radical damage which is the main cause of cancer. They also contain beta carotene which helps control prostate and colon cancer.
- Eye health: The beta carotene, vitamin A, and lutein help in improving moisture in the eyes and controlling macular degeneration.
- Hair health: The scalp produces sebum which is rich in vitamin A. Papaya when applied to the scalp gives the same effect as sebum, which keeps the hair shiny, silky, and lustrous.