Here are health-related tips of Appendicitis
Hello friends! Now I am going to talk about an entity about which way you and everyone has been hearing since our childhood an ‘’Appendicitis’’, and Appendicectomy, an operation for that. We all hear this thing right since our childhood. It is one of the most commonly affecting disease in general population whether it is male or female. The incidence is right from the first decade of the age and it goes on till almost 50, 55 years. Thankfully, the appendicectomy after late fifties is not much and therefore the population below fifty is definitely vulnerable for it. Why we see a lot of patients with appendicitis nowadays? I think one of the reason is our bad to worse lifestyle. Less water intake, constipating foods like all junk and fast foods, absence or minimal presence of green leafy vegetables, vegetables in general, a sedentary lifestyle and so and so forth are all the factors which induce constipation and situations even like appendicitis.
We see a lot of children who have gained a lot of weight, thanks to the food habits. And this also is one section of the society in which we see a lot of appendicitis. How does a patient feel? How does a patient present with appendicitis? Well the cardinal, most important thing is pain, severe pain usually starting from the middle of your tummy and ,then probably in sometime, over a period of 12 to 24 hours, localizing to the right lower side of your abdomen, wherein it will remain constant. The pain can be quite unnerving needing immediate medications, injections, sometimes even hospital admission and this will be associated with lot of dyspepsia, nausea, in some patients even severe vomiting. This is one of the most classical way in which appendix presents and it is also called as Acute Appendicitis.
Well we have a small section of patients where all these dramatic symptoms may not be there and patients may complain mainly of dyspepsia, fullness of tummy, bloating, especially after eating food. Few hours after consuming the food pain will be dragging sometimes dull sometimes severe, but we will keep localizing to the right lower quadrant of the right lower side of the abdomen. Appendicitis is a clinical diagnosis which a doctor makes after examining the patient. We see a lot of patients coming to us with CT scans, ultrasonic abdomen, MRI and things like that. Trust me in even 21st century the best diagnosis for appendicitis is made by clinician, a doctor who examines the patients and thereby a lot of appendicitis patients, they don't need CT scans and things like that, unless and until a complication has happened or we are dealing with something else or there is a diagnostic dilemma.
So what does a patient need to have? Well he needs to have some basic blood tests that complete blood picture. We also need to show and be sure that there is no urinary tract infection especially in young women and thereby we also ask for a urine examination. In young fertile or what we call as, you know menstruating age group women, we need to be very sure about the genic history and things like that. Before we come to a diagnosis, an ultrasound helps in appendicitis as a way what we call by diagnosis by exclusion wherein exclude that there is no right kidney stone, There is no right electric stone and in women the right ovary and fallopian tubes are clean, but mainly and I would reinforces is this that appendicitis still demands a clinical diagnosis.
All the investigations which we do, they aid the diagnosis they don't make the diagnosis really. The second important factor is appendicitis can be dramatic and can present with complications like number 1 ,wherein a patient who is having abdominal pain will suddenly become sick ,his pulse rate will go and start having high grade fever and so and so forth. The pain will not be relieved by any analgesic. Conventionally, you should always suspect a perforation of appendix. Likewise a patient can also present to us with what we call as an appendicular abscess, wherein it has perforated and there is a nice pus collection around the appendix. So a small disease ignored at that particular time can present to us in a very dramatic way and with a lot of complications. Well the treatment of appendicitis in one sentence is an appendicectomy an operation. All the medicines which are used to treat appendicitis or associated conditions will give a temporary relief, will alleviate the pain for some time, will reduce the infection, but will not take away the problem. I strongly recommend that a simple operation is the best remedy. This surgery can also be done by conventional method, an open surgery or a laparoscopic method. And appendicitis is a situation which can grow from simple to bad and worse within no time. Thereby, don't waste time, try and seek and early treatment. Number 2, don't get feared by the fact that you will need an operation, because in the final run a simply done timely nice operation will save you from all the possible complications and the drama you go through.
Thereby I request you to make use of me through this wonderful medium or you are free to consult me at my consultation rooms at your wish and will. Thank you.read more
Here are causes, symptoms, treatment of Gall Bladder Stones
Hello everyone. Basically, I’m a trained surgical gastroenterologist. And I’m also trained in liver surgery pancreatic surgery and surgery is related to the bile duct and liver transplantation. Basically, I offer all the surgical services in advance laparoscopy. We even do what we call commonly as a weight-loss surgery or bariatric surgery. And we are an extremely experienced team when it comes to dealing with complicated liver surgery gastrointestinal surgery and pancreatic surgery and things like that. The occurrence and incidence of gallbladder stones what we call them as also called in little bit medical terms as cholelithiasis or calculi in the gallbladder. Surprisingly is quite more than all of us think it is a disease or a situation is very common in urban society now. I think it has also changed with a period of time because with the changing habits of eating our lifestyles stress and everything the in general incidence of GA this gone up and we see a large number of patients with what we call as gallbladder stones.
Now for quite a few of these patients, the gallbladder stones may be present in the body but the patient or the person himself may or may not be aware of it. The very fact that the person becomes aware of it is because the gallbladder stones start producing symptoms. Now we divide these patients broadly into two categories the first category is a very what we call as classic presentation were in a patient will have abdominal pain retching sometimes vomiting. The pain is so excruciating that it will not subside with one or two tablets may need some injections and a few of them also need hospitalization. Treatment of gall stones now let me make it very clear that there is no definite to curative treatment of gallstones through any medicine or injection. When we see this the symptoms of cholelithiasis or gallbladder stone pain they can be taken off by medicines this will give a temporary relief to the patient but the curative treatment is not available in terms of medicine.
So what do we do next? The simplest thing is we need to do an operation and remove the gallbladder. In medical terms, this is called as a cholecystectomy and in the modern era or simple operation than to a laparoscope called laparoscopic. Cholecystectomy is an ideal treatment for this problem. The moment I shared this with my patients I tell them that you have to remove your gallbladder for gallbladder stones. The question asked is that “what will happen when you remove the gallbladder?” As in kidneys, we remove the kidney stones we don’t remove the kidney but in gallstones, we have to. One of the simplified answers which I have given to my patients is that presence of a stone in kidney won’t affect the function of the kidney at the latch. But the presence of gallstones and gallbladder the function of the gallbladder goes down it becomes a bag of infection it invites infection and repeated attacks of pain and there by a surgical removal of the gallbladder with stones is an ideal treatment. It is done through a laparoscope as I’ve already mentioned to you with minimal cuts on your body.
In less than five percent situations due to medical reasons, anesthesia fitness related issues are some other problems intraoperatively this operation is also done in a conventional way which is called as an open cholecystectomy. The most important thing here to remember is that gallstones are best treated when they have not produced complications and thereby I request all my viewers my patients and followers to not take this entity lightly don’t ignore gallstones be alert and get treated comprehensively by a simple operation.
I would be very happy to share all my parts and use with my viewers through Lybrate which is a wonderful medium. Patients needing further assistance can always come to my consultation and we can treat them the best of the ability. Thank youlaparoscopic Cholecystectomy read more
Here are cause,symptoms and treatment of Piles or Hemorrhoids
"Hi friends! Nice to be with you through this wonderful medium called “Lybrate”. Today I am here to discuss with you one of the most common, irritating and nagging problem which we in common language call as “Piles” or in medical terminology we call them as “Hemorrhoids”.
Bleeding Piles or Hemorrhoids is one of the most common problem in our society. It has evolved, the presentation has changed and the number of patients getting effected by this problem continues to be very high. It effects males as well as females in equal number. Early age group and late age group, both are included in this irritating problem. The main issue with this particular disease is that a lot of people in our country still feel a little bit inhabited and ashamed to discuss this problem.
Now what are basically Hemorrhoids or Piles? They are basically nothing but Venus or small veins which are there in our rectum and anal canal, which over a period of time for some reasons, known and unknown, become prominent, dilated thin walled and then with every episode of passage of stools there is bleeding. One of the most important symptom, bleeding, whenever it occurs more than once or twice is never to be ignored because we could be dealing with what we call as Hemorrhoids. Classically, Hemorrhoids never cause pain, it will be a painless bleeding and if it is associated with pain then we must keep an option of fissure in association with Hemorrhoids.
Fissure is nothing but a cut onto the tracheal wall or the anal canal wall, which at every time of passage of motion will produce pain, bleeding and after that some variable amount of burning sensation. This problem does not need high funda stuffs like CT scans and MRI, we can do away with a diagnosis of Hemorrhoids and fissure with a good clinical examination. In some patients with extreme age groups we do recommend Sigmoidoscopy or a Colonoscopy which are basically an outpatient endoscopic tests. No higher level of investigations are required in these particular patients.
Well, the treatment of Hemorrhoids varies. It comprises of some medical treatment in terms of medication tablets, syrups, other things, and surgery. Small Hemorrhoids what we medically call them as Grade-1 Hemorrhoids, rarely require treatment. Grade-1 and Grade-2 Hemorrhoids, they may settle down with medical treatment in terms of some syrups which reduce constipation, antibiotics and some analgesics. The remaining patients of Grade-3 and Grade-4 definitely need operation.
Surgery can be done in various methods. There are newer techniques, one of the popular newer technique is what we call as a stapled Hemorrodectomy and then there are conventional techniques. In our mammoth experience of last ten to fifteen years, irrespective of technique if the surgery is performed safely in experienced hands, it rarely produces symptoms again, recurrences are less and complications are fewer. I recommend all the patients who are in regular working hassles not to delay these symptoms. Try and see at which level your hemorrhoids are and choose an appropriate treatment from a good competent doctor. As I have said earlier and in many instances, simple diseases become complicated when they are ignored or they are wrongly treated.
My sincere request to all of you is, do not ignore bleeding per rectum, have a quick correct diagnosis through a good doctor and don’t get unnecessary jitters by listening to the word surgery. Hemorrhoid surgery has become safe and is very very complication free in safe and experienced hands. Thank you. "read more
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Chetan B. Mahajan
Submit a review for Dr. Chetan B. MahajanYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Chetan B. Mahajan to be very helpful. Thank-you sir for your valuable comments
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Chetan B. Mahajan to be very helpful. Share feedback in your own words...
Perfect diagnosis, endoscopy done, the whole experience at Mankind was hassle free with very good staff
A Surgeon -par excellence A Human - even better
Nice doctor, for any gastro problems visit him.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease needs to be controlled in the initial stage only so that severe symptoms can be prevented. There are a few easy treatments that need to be followed for getting instant relief and quickest recovery.
What are the commonest signs of Inflammatory Bowel disease?
- Fatigue and fever: Low-grade fever can be experienced, which might invite fatigue, tiredness and weakness. Your energy levels will become too low, and thus you will lose your concentration to work.
- Diarrhea: This is regarded as the commonest signs of all, and it can be quite severe in a few cases.
- Stool with blood: If you find blood with stool, then it is a serious case, and this sign confirms clearly that you have got IBD.
- Cramping and abdominal pain: Ulceration and inflammation within digestive tract might invite both cramping and abdominal pain. Vomiting and nausea are the other two symptoms that are associated with the same.
- Weight loss: Your digestive system can get disturbed as a result of which you might lose weight on a frequent note. On the other hand, your appetite will get disturbed, and you will suffer from malnutrition.
What are the best ways to treat Inflammatory Bowel disease?
- Lifestyle change: Proper diet should be maintained, and you should include foods with low fats, high fiber and others. Non-spicy and non-dairy foods are quite suitable in this case. Smoking, alcohol drinking and other bad habits should be curtailed from the diet. Eat healthy and drink water in abundance.
- Surgery: Only for dealing severe conditions, especially ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease, surgery is chosen as the best option but this decision is normally taken by the doctor.
- Medications: Specialized medications are being used like anti-diarrhoeal medications, pain relievers, and iron supplements, Vitamin-d and calcium supplements, vitamin-12 supplements and many more.
- Home remedies: There are few commonest homemade therapies that can treat IBD, and they are meditations, probiotics, acupuncture, turmeric, aloe Vera, fish oil and others. These remedies are the safest of all, and thus no side-effects will be faced.
- Doctor's assistance: Without doctor's help, you will not be able to get the quickest recovery from IBD. Therefore, you got to visit the clinic regularly in order to get the perfect treatment. There are a few therapists who can help you to get rid of unwanted emotional difficulties. A support group can also be joined for receiving moral support. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a gastroenterologist.
The quote 'Good day starts with coffee' suits a lot of people who love nothing more than a cup of coffee every morning. However, your morning tryst with a cup of coffee might not be a very healthy habit. Believe it or not, addiction to caffeine (in the form of coffee) is as harmful as addiction to any other drug. In fact, caffeine is a legal drug that slowly and gradually damages your gastrointestinal tract. Here are the negative effects of coffee on your digestive system:
- Increases Acidity: Coffee is known to contain different kinds of oils, acids and caffeine. These compounds have an adverse impact on the digestive system. The stomach and intestinal linings get damaged due to the over-consumption of these compounds in the form of coffee. Moreover, as you take coffee, your stomach produces more hydrochloric acid for digestion. This causes acidity and hampers the HCL levels altogether. When we take coffee regularly for years in empty stomach, our body's capacity of producing proper amounts of HCL gets hampered. Often, HCL production gets reduced as well. This leads to indigestion of other food items and effects flatulence and produces unwanted gases due to the improper breaking of proteins and fats by the body.
- Ulcers and Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Doctors believe that coffee acts as an irritant for patients of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), gastritis, Crohn's disease, colitis and ulcers. Coffee is responsible for the irritation of the lining of stomach and intestine. It is also noticed that certain enzymes present in the coffee beans are also harmful to the gastrointestinal tract.
- Heartburn: Coffee is responsible for relaxing the esophageal sphincter muscle. The relaxation of this muscle hinders the process of digestion and causes acid-reflux, resulting in heartburn. It is known to have compounds that have diuretic, laxative and mineral blocking effects on the body.
- Laxative Effects: Coffee stimulates the process of peristalsis or movement of food through the gastrointestinal tract. The peristalsis starts immediately after food is swallowed by the individual. The intake of coffee catalyzes peristalsis and consequently leads to emptying of the stomach even before the food is digested properly. The semi-digested food is sent to the intestine too early, causing injury to the intestine and hampering the absorption of nutrients.
- Affects absorption of minerals: Caffeine reduces the ability of the stomach to absorb iron and also hinders the absorption of minerals like calcium, zinc and magnesium by the kidney. All these minerals help in digestion at different points and regulate the bowel movement.
Coffee is known to have benefits like reduction of constipation and sugar absorption. But, it also interferes with the smooth functioning of the digestive system. It has a tendency to increase stomach aches, disturb the fluid balance and the overall process of digestion. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gastroenterologist.
Taking a balanced diet not only helps in maintaining overall health also helps in curing indigestion. The right mix of carbohydrate, protein, water, fat, vitamin, salt and fiber is important for the body to function well. Apart from maintaining a healthy diet, it is also essential to refrain from food that triggers indigestion.
Here is a list of worst food for digestive health:
- Dairy Products: Dairy Products contain a protein called the casein. This protein can be highly allergic and inflammatory. Its strong insulin response can hold up fat and makes someone look fatter than his usual self. Lactose, the carbohydrate found in milk is extremely difficult to digest. If you are lactose intolerant, you should make it a point to stay away from dairy products such as kefir and yogurt to ensure smooth digestion.
- Gluten: This protein molecule is found in barley and wheat. Gluten is extremely difficult to break and has the capability to create a lot of damage. The unbroken molecules of gluten cause inflammation and bloating. People, who have GI issues, should definitely eschew gluten to ensure food digestion.
- Sugar: Patients suffering from indigestion should stay away from sugar related products such as candy, cake and crackers. Intake of sugar product increases the rate of inflammation, feeds harmful bacteria and suppresses the immune system. No wonder it is one of the worst food to consume if you are suffering from indigestion.
- Fake fats: Fake fats are extremely difficult to digest and make the cell membranes more rigid. It can also show symptoms such as cramps, loose stools and bloating.
- Gums: Guar and xanthan gum are proved to be responsible for causing colitis. People with bowel disease are strongly suggested to stay away from gums and thickeners in order to avoid indigestion.
- Soy: Soy possesses protein inhibitors. It is an enzyme that restricts digestion. The carbohydrate content of the soy does not get recognized by the GI system. This leads to bloating, cramps and gas.
- Nightshade vegetables: Vegetables such as potato, bell pepper and tomatoes contain a compound called solanine. The latter is known to be responsible for indigestion. People with a compromised GI should not consume these vegetables at all.
- Red Dye: May fast food item contain a red dye which is known to decrease the production of energy, disturb nerve signaling and is an inflammatory agent.
- Sweeteners: Fake sweeteners show GI symptoms such as bloating and gas. Replacing this with sugar is not at all a good idea since it causes indigestion over a period of time.
- Legumes and beans: Legumes and beans contain compounds called saponins and lectins respectively. They are a major cause of a leaky gut and inflammation. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gastroenterologist.
Patients suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome experience severe abdominal pain, abdominal bloating along with cramping, gas, constipation and a constant urge to go to the toilet again and again. IBS is a health disorder where the large intestine or the colon is affected. This condition is a chronic one and requires long-term management. The symptoms are usually worse after eating and tend to occur in episodes. Although the disorder cannot be reversed, several symptoms can be managed or controlled by making lifestyle and dietary modifications. Most patients with IBS will experience flare-ups that last for a few days. For others, medical treatment is required.
Treatment and Care
Different procedures are used to treat IBS, which vary from person to person. However, one single treatment does not work with everyone.
Lifestyle and Dietary changes:
By making several basic modifications to your regular diet and activities, IBS improves with time. Here are some tips:
- You should avoid caffeine in any form such as coffee, tea or soda.
- You should increase the amount of fiber in your diet and include vegetables, fruits, whole grains and nuts.
- You must drink three to four glasses of water regularly.
- Smoking should be abstained from.
- You must undertake relaxation techniques and work out in order to reduce stress.
- Your amount of dairy product consumption must be reduced.
- You should eat frequent, small meals instead of fewer large meals.
- The most common food triggers, which lead to IBS are green onions, red wine, milk and red peppers. You should not consume these products.
- You should keep a record of the types of food you consume so that you can identify the IBS triggering food items.
- You should eliminate high gas producing food items from your diet. Food items which may result in passing excess amount of gas such as carbonated vegetables and vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower should not be consumed.
Several medicines are used to treat IBS. These include the following:
- Antispasmodics are used to control muscle spasms in the large intestine.
- Antidiarrhoeal medicines are used to control the symptoms of diarrhoea.
- Laxatives are prescribed for relief from constipation.
- Bulking agents like wheat bran and corn fibers are used to slow down the food movement through the digestive system. They also relieve symptoms.
- Antidepressants are also used in case of some patients with IBS for relief.
- In patients, whose symptoms occur due to bacterial overgrowth in the intestines, certain antibiotics may be used for treatment.
There are several triggers of IBS, which must be identified and treatment should be undertaken after that. For the proper identification and best treatment of IBS which suits your symptoms, it is essential you consult a gastroenterologist. Alternative treatment methods such as acupuncture, using certain herbs and probiotics can also be followed.
A stressful event like speaking in public, going to a job interview can give you butterflies in your stomach that may literally make you want to run to the bathroom. Stress affects every aspect of our lives including digestion. This includes indigestion, heartburn and irritable bowel syndrome. When put in a stressful situation, the body releases hormones known as corticotropin-releasing hormone or CRH. This, in turn, signals the adrenal gland to pump out adrenaline and steroids that help with the body's flight or fight response. Here are a few ways stress affects the gastrointestinal system.Here are a few ways stress affects the gastrointestinal system.
- Stress kills appetite: Stress eating is a real problem that results from the contradictory reactions of hormones. The hormones released by stress kill a person's appetite, but at the same time, the steroids released by these hormones make the person crave unhealthy foods like ice-cream, chocolate or potato chips. These foods aren't easy to digest and can cause indigestion, gas buildup and heart burn.
- Stress leads to ulcers: Ulcers are caused by bacteria, but stress strengthens the infection and disturbs the balance of hydrochloric acid and protective secretions in the stomach. This increases the risk of ulcer formation in the stomach. Once the ulcers are present in the stomach, stress can worsen the symptoms.
- Stress alters the gastrointestinal pathophysiology: Stress can cause changes in gastrointestinal secretions and reduce the amount of oxygen available to the digestive system. It also impairs gastroduodenal motility and amount of enzymes being secreted by the pancreas. Additionally, it interferes with the passage of food through the intestinal tract and alters colonic motility. Stress also affects the absorption of nutrients from the stomach and increases the blood flow to the digestive system by four times the normal amount thus decreasing metabolism rates.
- Stress affects irritable bowel syndrome: Stress in itself does not cause irritable bowel syndrome but can worsen the situation. This is because stress can make the colon contract and cause abdominal pain. These contractions are usually uncoordinated and can lead to constipation. It also makes the body more sensitive to pain thus increasing discomfort.
- Stress lowers immunity: A large part of the immune system is housed in the gut. Stress reduces the secretion of enzymes in the gut and leaves the digestive system vulnerable to bacterial infections. By weakening the immune system in the gut, stress also increases the risk of suffering from infections in other parts of the body.
If you are feeling gassy and bloated immediately after having milk, it is time to reconsider your milk digestion power. While every baby is born with the ability to produce lactase, with age the ability to produce lactose decreases and the level of intolerance towards milk and other dairy products increases. This condition, however, greatly varies from individual to individual.
People in their 50's often find themselves to be intolerant towards lactose. When this happens, the lactose that is consumed travels into the colon undigested. This is the place where bacteria breaks down the sugar present into the lactose resulting in a fluid and excess gas.
According to a report published by the National Institute of Health, it is found that more than 60 percent of the aging population reduces their lactose digestion ability with time. The genetic setup of a person has a lot to do with it. The LCT gene is responsible for producing lactose in the body, an enzyme, which is responsible for digesting dairy based product. With age, this gene becomes less active resulting into lactose intolerance leading to various side effects such as diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and nausea.
According to a study conducted by the NIH, it is found that the people from an ethnic background such as Italian, Arab, West African Jewish and Greek are more prone to lactose intolerance than their peers. Lactose intolerance can also occur due to injury related to the small intestine. People are known to have fallen victims of lactose intolerance due to infection, radiation or diseases as well. According to a study conducted by the NIDDK (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases), it is found that people become lactose intolerant if they consume poorly treated water.
Primary lactose intolerance is more common than secondary lactose intolerance. In Primary lactose intolerance, lactase gets generated in normal levels and then starts declining with age. While the reason for the onset primary lactose is not known, it can develop at any age and gets worse with age. The sad part of lactose intolerance is the fact that it does not get cured. The only solution is to completely cut down dairy products or lessen it to a significant extent.
While there is no hard and fast rule about lactose intolerance, it is a good idea to visit a doctor whenever the symptoms crop up. Often the reason of lactose intolerance can be entirely different from what is predicted. Addressing the underlying cause can free a patient from suffering from gas, bloating and inflammation. A doctor mostly conducts a lactose tolerance test to find out preliminary stage of the condition and then prescribes medication if necessary.
Abdominal pain can be triggered by a number of factors. Sometimes, it's mild enough to be overlooked while at others, the pain can be debilitating. Most abdominal problems start with the same symptoms and hence the cause of this pain can be a little difficult to pin point. In many cases, the location of the pain can help understand the factors that are triggering it.
- Generalized pain can be simply be triggered by indigestion. On the other hand, it could also be a symptom of a number of illnesses like irritable bowel syndrome, appendicitis, viral gastroenteritis and intestinal obstructions etc. However, the former are more common. This type of pain resolves itself without medical intervention.
- In other cases, abdominal pain can be localized to the upper or lower abdomen on the right or left side or in the centre of the abdomen. This sort of pain is usually sporadic and comes and goes with great intensity. In most cases, this sort of pain is a symptom of a serious problem and should not be ignored. One of the most common examples of localized abdominal pain is the pain caused by appendicitis in its later stages. Severe pain that is located just above the centre of the belly button could be a sign of pancreatitis. A burning sensation and severe cramps in the center of the stomach could point towards stomach ulcers that could cause perforations if left untreated. Other causes for this type of pain include endometriosis, ovarian cysts, angina, kidney infections and a spleen infection.
- Mild stomach pain whether localized or general can be relieved using home remedies and does not often require medication. However, if the pain is severe or if it comes on suddenly, you must immediately consult a doctor. Another reason to consult a doctor is if the pain persists for more than 24 hours. If the pain is accompanied by black or bloody stools or vomiting and nausea, do not ignore it. Black stools are often an indicator of the presence of blood in the digestive tract. Abdominal pain that worsens with movement or is tender to touch is also something that should be shown to a doctor. Other reasons to consult a doctor are abdominal pain with persistent vomiting following meals and unexplained weight loss and a loss of appetite.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Cancer, the name itself sends chills down the spine! But every time we hear someone has cancer, though we feel sorry for them, we never think it could happen to us. But even though the probability of it may not be high at all, a disease that is rare can still hit you like a bolt from the blue! This is exactly the case with anal cancer, which is a very rare form of cancer. But, since the rates of its incidence are rising, it is well worth learning a few things about it.
Who is at Risk?
While it is unlikely that a person will contract anal cancer over the course of his life, asking himself a few questions about it so as to assess the risk he or she is at makes sense. To start off, age is an important factor. If a person is somewhere between middle age and old age, there is a far greater risk of anal cancer than a person who is not.
A person can easily reduce the risk of contracting anal cancer quite dramatically by doing something which is quite simple: refraining from anal sexual activity. This goes a rather long way as it means that a person is at a much lower risk of contracting HIV or HPV. HPV is far more common and affects most adults in sexual contact with each other. That being said, it is usually the type 16 variant of HPV which is linked to anal cancer. In order to reduce the chance of this, making good use of condoms is a very good idea but this does not eliminate the risk of transmission of HPV.
Smoking a cigarette may be great for a person to obtain a little bit of mental peace, but it has a really disastrous effect on the prospects of developing anal cancer at the same time. The chemicals that the body takes in are as harmful as they affect so many body tissues. There are many reasons to quit smoking but the fact that smokers have an eight time higher risk of developing anal cancer is probably among the good ones!
If a person is suffering from low immunity, it is quite possible that he or she is at a higher risk of developing the cancer, at least on a relative basis. This is because the ability of the body to fight back is lower. A person is especially weak after an organ transplant has taken place and if a person has HIV it further increases his or her risk of developing anal cancer.
Now, cutting the risk of anal cancer also involves possibly getting an HPV vaccination. The doctor is the person to talk to regarding this! When the risk of anal cancer is anyway minimal, it makes sense to cut it even further, by following a fit and healthy lifestyle.
Picture this, you're in a restaurant for a lunch date with your friend. It's a great place and the food is delicious. While you're having a super time, you suddenly start feeling a discomfort in your chest area, and your appetite completely goes down the drain. Chances are that you might be experiencing heartburn.
Heartburn is something which is used in both the literal and metaphorical senses. However, the discomfort it entails means that it is no joking matter and your food intake habits are probably responsible if you suffer from it!
The good thing about heartburn causing foods is that they are easily recognisable, which is quite great. But, they make up a large portion of people's normal diets, which is not as great, as they are hard to refrain from. A few common examples are listed below:
- Chocolate: To start off, there is something which is surprisingly a cause for heartburn and is likely to be the cause of a lot of disappointment: chocolate. The sad thing about chocolate is that the key things it is known to cause reflux. Take, for example, cocoa; it is a prime cause for reflux. Also, the caffeine in chocolate as well as something called theobromine is the major culprits of reflux. If a person who loves chocolate seems to be suffering from reflux, he or she knows why now!
- Coffee: Talking about caffeine, the automatic suspect that is coffee is deeply guilty, as well! Having coffee once in a while may not cause much harm but making it a habit leads to a person setting himself or herself up for a lot of heartburn.
- Soda: Anything which is acidic is not good for reflux but the thing is that most sodas are very acidic! This is also the case when it comes to fruit, though fruit is generally said to be good for the body. Certain types of fruit, like citrus fruit only worsens the effects of heartburn and can cause a whole load of discomfort to the person who eats them.
A lot of the foods, which should be avoided actually have their own health benefits. The case in point is garlic. But, a person should try to have food like cottage cheese or lean chicken, both of which do not cause any heartburn at all. Also, keeping away from food that is fried has a range of benefits from lower consumption of fat, to a reduced risk of cancer as well as a massive drop in heartburn. Deep fried foods should be avoided like the plague!
The rule of the thumb when it comes to the issue of heartburn is that if anything happens to be acidic, it is likely to cause heartburn to be aggravated. As long as a person can keep this in mind as a guiding principle, there is no way that they will be suffering from heartburn any more. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Are you the one who lives on burgers or packaged foods? Well, then it's time for you to check your diet. These delicious food items that you die for contain excess carbohydrates and unhealthy fats that are extremely dangerous for your health. Most of these food items contain excess of carbs, fats, added sugars and salt. These items do not have sufficient nutritional values. They only offer you high calories that are harmful for the body and its various organs. Researchers have found that when most of these food items were given to lab animals, they yielded dangerous results, offering negative nutritional value to them. Prolonged exposure to these food items can affect the health of the heart, gastrointestinal organs and lead to obesity.
According to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, it has been found that most people underestimate the number of calories intake at a fast-food selling outlet. A 2013 study published in JAMA Pediatrics reveals that individuals consume more calories in restaurants than at their respective home. This trend is quite dangerous. It is responsible for the occurrence of a number of diseases.
Here's why you should avoid fast foods:
- Save your digestive and cardiovascular systems: Fast foods are packed with unhealthy amounts of carbohydrates and fats. When these are consumed, our digestive system breaks down these carbs into sugar or glucose. The glucose is then released into the blood. As the blood is loaded with sugar, pancreas releases insulin hormone into the body. Insulin regulates the transportation of the sugar to cells. As the sugar reaches various cells, pancreas releases another hormone-glucagon. It commands the liver to make use of the sugar. Now, when excess sugar is produced in the body due to intake of fast foods, the balance between insulin and glucagon is hampered and the level of sugar in bloodstream changes. Consequently, you develop type 2 diabetes.
- Check your weight and heart: The added sugars and unsaturated fats in the fast foods lead to obesity. You consume more calories and as a result of which your body weight increases. This is quite dangerous for your health. Under such circumstances, you tend to develop chronic heart diseases due to the increasing levels of cholesterol in your body.
- Your kidney is at risk: Fast foods often contain excess salt. The intake of fast foods changes the level of sodium in the body. Sodium is responsible for maintaining the fluid content in the body. Increasing fluid levels due to intake of excess sodium in the form of salt exerts pressure on the heart muscle and causes high blood pressure. Besides, excess sodium also damages the kidney.
- Protect your respiratory system: According to a study in journal Thorax, children who eat excess fast food are at increased risk of developing asthma and rhinitis. In fact, increased body weight puts extra pressure on your respiratory organs and causes difficulty in breathing.
- Affects central nervous system: Intake of junk food affects the brain synapses and the molecules that are related to the process of memory and learning in both children and adults. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.