Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Babaiah M
Submit a review for Dr. Babaiah MYour feedback matters!
According to the American Cancer Society and Colon Cancer Alliance, colon cancer, which is also referred to as colorectal cancer is regarded as the third most commonly diagnosed cancer type as well as the second most important reason of cancer death in the U.S. affecting both men and women. But thankfully, colon cancer can be prevented by changing the food habits.
It is also important to get regular screenings through colonoscopy, which will help you to determine the early or precancerous stage that can be treated with the removal of cancerous cells. Colorectal cancer is deemed to be cancer-related to the food habits and it can be prevented by correcting the same. Here are the top ways through which you can help your condition naturally:
- Reduce the amount of red meat consumption: Health studies reveal that people who eat red meat on a regular basis are more prone to developing colon cancer. This is because the chemicals required to digest this food damage the DNA material which in turn is the main reason behind the cause of cancer.
- Increase the amount of garlic intake: By consuming more garlic, you can reduce the risk of developing different types of cancer, particularly those of the gastrointestinal tract. Garlic is rich in anti-bacterial properties that can block the pathways of cancer causing elements and boost the repair as well as reduce the proliferation of cells. It is also high in selenium and sodium content which are beneficial for the overall health.
- Consume all types of plant antioxidants: The bright coloured fruits and vegetables, as well as herbs and spices, can greatly contribute to adding a wide array of antioxidants in your regular diet. Foods that are rich in anti-oxidants include carrots, pomegranates, cranberries, kale, broccoli, tomatoes, apples, cabbage, turmeric, sage, rosemary, saffron, purple and red grapes.
- Cook foods in olive oil: Olive oil is rich in anti-cancer properties and it helps in reducing bile acid and increasing the enzymes that can regulate the growth of the cells on the intestine lining so that tissues can be renewed. Antioxidant compounds called phenolics are present in olive oil and have also proven to be a cancer protective anti-oxidant.
- Increase the consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids: It has been reported by several types of research that a diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce the occurrence of colon cancer and therefore you must eat a lot of salmon, cod, mackerel and sardines for decreasing the pro-inflammatory levels in your body.
These few alterations to your food habits can greatly help you in preventing colon cancer and you can consult your doctor for a detailed analysis and recommendation based on your individual health condition.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Lung cancer is the cancer killer of both men and women in the U.S. When you think of risk factors for lung cancer, what comes to mind? Most of us think about the risk associated with smoking cigarettes, but did you know that air pollution can also cause lung cancer? Overwhelming evidence shows that particle pollution in the outdoor air we breathe—like that coming from vehicle exhaust, coal-fired power plants and other industrial sources - can cause lung cancer. Particle pollution increases the risk of dying early, heart disease and asthma attacks, and it can also interfere with the growth and function of the lungs.
What is Particle Pollution?
Particle pollution is a mix of tiny solid and liquid particles in the air and can be made up of a number of components, such as acids, organic chemicals, metals, soil and dust particles. It can be emitted directly from wood stoves, forest fires, vehicles and other sources, and it can also form from other types of pollution that come from sources like power plants.
Why does particle pollution harm our bodies?
While breathing in larger sizes of particle pollution can be harmful to our health, smaller particles are more dangerous. Bigger particles can irritate your eyes, nose and throat, but our natural defenses help us to cough or sneeze them out of our bodies. Unfortunately, those defenses don't keep out smaller particles, which get trapped deep in the lungs and can even get into the bloodstream, causing damage to our health.
Who is most at risk?
As for who is at risk for health problems from breathing in particle pollution. Those who live where particle pollution levels are high is at risk. Some people face higher risk, including children, the elderly, people with lung and heart disease and diabetes, people with low incomes, and people who work or exercise outdoors.
How do we protect ourselves from particle pollution?
Check the air quality index forecast for the day and limit your activity if pollution levels are high. Avoid exercising along heavily traveled highways regardless of the overall forecast.
As individuals, we can play our part in reducing air pollution levels by trying to avoid creating more of it. Choosing ‘active travel’ options where possible, like walking and cycling, can help reduce pollution levels from transport and is also a great way to be more active, which is linked to a reduced risk of cancer and other diseases. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a oncologist and ask a free question.
Lungs are very important organs of your body as they play a pivotal role in respiration. Lung cancer refers to the gradual development of cancerous cells in the lungs.
Many common symptoms can help you to identify lung cancer. They are stated below:
- Persistent cough
- Change in your voice
- Pain in the chest region
- Breathing problem
- Loss of weight and appetite
- Sometimes a person may also cough up blood
- Cough accompanied by a wheezing sound
Lung cancer is very fatal and has less chances of getting cured. However, ayurveda offers effective and natural remedies for treating lung cancer. They are mentioned as follows:
- Practice breathing exercises regularly: Breathing exercises can help you to deal with the problem of lung cancer in an effective manner.
- Quit smoking and avoid drinking alcohol: This is absolutely essential for treating lung cancer. Both smoking and consuming alcohol can cause severe damage to your lungs.
- Practice meditation. According to ayurveda, meditation is known to have great healing powers for any health problem. This can help you to cope up with cancer as well.
- Avoid junk foods and carbonated drinks: Consuming these foods frequently can worsen your condition.
- Massage therapy: Sometimes massage therapy can work wonders in ayurveda. Massaging certain essential oils can be very helpful.
- Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy can also prove to be effective in treating lung cancer. It is a procedure in which essential oils are not only used for massaging your body but also for inhaling.
- Ayurvedic herbs: There are many ayurvedic medicines and herbs also which can treat lung cancer efficiently.
Since lung cancer involves very less survival rate, it is of utmost importance that you go the doctor immediately once you start noticing any of the above mentioned symptoms.