Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. B Nagarjuna Reddy
Submit a review for Dr. B Nagarjuna ReddyYour feedback matters!
I was diagnosed throat cancer I went through chemotherapy and radiation and now the treatment is over but now my food pipe got squeezed and I am in a state where I cannot take liquid food also what should I do?
In a shocking post on Instagram, Hrithik Roshan revealed how his father, the veteran actor Rakesh Roshan, has been diagnosed with early-stage squamous cell carcinoma of the throat or in simple terms throat cancer.
For someone who dedicatedly takes care of his health, this news came in as a startling reminder of the possibility that such a condition can happen to anyone anytime.
What is Early Stage Throat Cancer?
Throat cancer refers to cancerous tumours that typically affect the voice box, vocal cord, tonsils and oropharynx. Early stage throat cancer ranges from stage I to stage III. The good thing is that it is curable only if diagnosed early. Treatment generally involves surgery, radiation therapy or a combination of both.
Squamous cell carcinoma is the most common form of throat cancer where the disease develops on the cells lining the wall of the throat.
What are the Major Risks Leading to Throat Cancer?
Certain factors heighten the possible occurrence of throat cancer like:
- Excessive smoking and chewing of tobacco
- Regular consumption of alcohol
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Lack of healthy diet
What are the Possible Signs of Throat Cancer?
Symptoms of early-stage throat cancer often tend to merge with signs of common infection. However, if any of the following symptoms continue to persist, one should seek urgent medical assistance.
- A sore throat
- Sudden weight loss
- The abrupt change in voice
- A continuous cough including the presence of blood
- The constant need to clear throat
- Ear pain
Following the identification of the disease, the stage of the cancer is determined, which helps in deciding treatment options.
- Radiation - Radiation involves emission of high-energy beams from X-rays or protons that directly eliminate cancer cells. For the initial stages, this is an extremely effective way of treatment.
- Surgery - Surgery is referred to when the cancer cells are limited to the vocal cords. Here endoscopy is used to scrape off the infected portion. In situations where the voice box is infected, doctors try to save as much area of the voice box that they can. This helps in retaining the patient’s ability to speak and breathe normally. For extensive tumours, it becomes necessary to surgically remove the entire voice box and speech has to be restored using speech therapy.
- Chemotherapy - Chemotherapy works by injecting drugs into the bloodstream. It is prescribed together with radiation to treat cancer cells. It, however, leaves room for long-term side effects and the consequences must be discussed thoroughly with the physician.
There are no substantial ways to prevent throat cancer. However, you can minimize its possibility by incorporating certain healthy practices -
- Quit smoking and use of tobacco
- Limiting alcohol intake
- Following a balanced and healthy diet
- Protecting oneself from HPV
- Regularly going for preventive health checkups
As the saying goes ‘prevention is better than cure,’ it is necessary to follow a healthy lifestyle. With proper treatment during initial stages, there are positive chances of winning over the disease.
What is the treatment for prostrate. Remedial steps to prevent prostrate. Food habits to be adopted. Medicine for prostrate.
My husband needs to go to urinate three times at night daily. Even during the day he urinates a lot. His prostate has enlarged. How can he solve this problem?
According to the American Cancer Society and Colon Cancer Alliance, colon cancer, which is also referred to as colorectal cancer is regarded as the third most commonly diagnosed cancer type as well as the second most important reason of cancer death in the U.S. affecting both men and women. But thankfully, colon cancer can be prevented by changing the food habits.
It is also important to get regular screenings through colonoscopy, which will help you to determine the early or precancerous stage that can be treated with the removal of cancerous cells. Colorectal cancer is deemed to be cancer-related to the food habits and it can be prevented by correcting the same. Here are the top ways through which you can help your condition naturally:
- Reduce the amount of red meat consumption: Health studies reveal that people who eat red meat on a regular basis are more prone to developing colon cancer. This is because the chemicals required to digest this food damage the DNA material which in turn is the main reason behind the cause of cancer.
- Increase the amount of garlic intake: By consuming more garlic, you can reduce the risk of developing different types of cancer, particularly those of the gastrointestinal tract. Garlic is rich in anti-bacterial properties that can block the pathways of cancer causing elements and boost the repair as well as reduce the proliferation of cells. It is also high in selenium and sodium content which are beneficial for the overall health.
- Consume all types of plant antioxidants: The bright coloured fruits and vegetables, as well as herbs and spices, can greatly contribute to adding a wide array of antioxidants in your regular diet. Foods that are rich in anti-oxidants include carrots, pomegranates, cranberries, kale, broccoli, tomatoes, apples, cabbage, turmeric, sage, rosemary, saffron, purple and red grapes.
- Cook foods in olive oil: Olive oil is rich in anti-cancer properties and it helps in reducing bile acid and increasing the enzymes that can regulate the growth of the cells on the intestine lining so that tissues can be renewed. Antioxidant compounds called phenolics are present in olive oil and have also proven to be a cancer protective anti-oxidant.
- Increase the consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids: It has been reported by several types of research that a diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce the occurrence of colon cancer and therefore you must eat a lot of salmon, cod, mackerel and sardines for decreasing the pro-inflammatory levels in your body.
These few alterations to your food habits can greatly help you in preventing colon cancer and you can consult your doctor for a detailed analysis and recommendation based on your individual health condition.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!