Doctors in Sri Sri Holistic Hospitals
Treatment of Pregnancy and related Disorder
Treatment of Cold Cough
Treatment of Bronchiectasis
Treatment of Irregular Periods
Treatment of Abdominal Pain
Treatment of Swelling
Treatment of Asthma
Treatment of Hemorrhoids
Management of Pregnancy
Treatment of Ovarian Cysts
Treatment of Ear Pain
Treatment of Sneezing
Management of Pregnancy Query
Treatment of Sinusitis
Treatment of Painful Periods
Treatment of Mouth Sores
Submit a review for Sri Sri Holistic HospitalsYour feedback matters!
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or spastic colon is a rather common intestinal tract disease which is characterized by sharp pain in the stomach, stomach gas, diarrhea or constipation. It is a chronic condition whose exact cause, although unknown, is sometimes attributed to the dysfunctional production of the neurotransmitter, dopamine.
There is no particular treatment for IBS. However, the symptoms can be brought under control through various methods. The symptoms of IBS can be controlled by making lifestyle changes such as incorporating certain modifications to your diet and reducing or managing stress levels. For severe symptoms, you may require medications.
Patients may also consider homeopathic treatment for a rather wholesome effect and lesser side effects. The purpose of homeopathic treatment is to stimulate the body’s inner self-balancing mechanisms. In order to achieve this, this person must be provided with the right solution at the right time. Since homeopathy aims at treating the root cause of the problem, the treatment is stretched over a longer period of time. Additionally, homeopathy functions by stimulating the natural healing capabilities of the body. Some of the common homeopathic medications that can be used to treat IBS are listed below:
- Pulsatilla: Prepared from a medicinal plant known as wind flower, Pulsatilla is effective in the cure of IBS with its remedying effect on the gastrointestinal tract.
- Nux Vomica: This too is derived from a plant and has a positive effect on the digestive and nervous system, thereby being effective in the treatment of IBS.
- Sulphur: It is one of the most common choices among homeopathic practitioners for IBS. Sulphur affects the digestive tract and is helpful in the treatment of intestinal gas and constipation. It is usually prescribed for individuals who are rather thin and physically weak.
- Lycopodium Clavatum: This is mainly prescribed for people with diarrhea and stomach gas. This drug acts specifically on the gastrointestinal tract
- Asafoetida: This drug is prescribed when there is a fairly common constriction in the bowel muscles.
The human spine is endowed with tremendous strength and flexibility, but it is also prone to severe injuries. Due to the presence of a vast network of nerves in the spinal cord, particularly in the lower region, injuries can become gravely complicated with a large scope for permanent damage. Heavy lifting, sudden movements and twisting can lead to spinal injuries and must be avoided while working out in the gym.
There are simple precautions that you can take to protect your spine from accidents and injuries while doing heavy lifts in the gym. Not only will these precautions ensure that your spine is protected from any harm, but they also yield a range of health benefits in the long run.
Following are a few precautions that can be taken from spinal protection:
- Check the object before lifting: It is important that you check the weight of the object before performing the lift. Test it out by pushing it with your hands or your feet very lightly to see how heavy it is and determine whether or not you should be lifting it.
- Perform a warm up exercise: This is one of the most essential factors for preventing exercise-related injuries. Pace around and stretch all your muscles before you start lifting. This will keep your muscles from suddenly stiffening or locking while you do the lift.
- Ensure that the weight is well balanced: Unbalanced weights greatly increase the risk of injury. You should always make sure that the weight you are lifting is evenly balanced on all sides and that the packing is proper so that it does not move around when you lift or have pieces falling off it.
- Maintain proper posture: One of the most important aspects of lifting in the right manner is to maintain proper body posture. You must always avoid arching your back or reaching out while you lift as that will surely lead to injury.
- Move slowly: Sudden jerks and movements are sure to lead to injury when lifting weights in the gym. Slow and smooth movements are recommended as they keep you from straining your muscles. There is no need to rush through your workout. Always avoid twisting while performing a lift.
- Create enough space: There has to be enough room all around you while you are lifting. This will ensure your safety while you are working out.
There are a variety of reasons why a person can fall sick. A good number of these illnesses cannot be prevented though a person may take general precautions. Having said that, in the case of influenza, it can be prevented to a large extent and it does not seem all that smart to avoid taking easy precautions when one has an option, right?
Every year, thousands of people die from influenza, which is so unfortunate because an annual shot can reduce that number by almost 60 percent. So what exactly makes a flu shot or vaccine work? As a result of the vaccine, after about two weeks or so, antibodies begin to develop in the body. These antibodies help fight off infection, specifically the kind that is targeted by the vaccine. It is important to get vaccinated for this flu on an annual basis.
Choosing the right flu shot
Considering the great number of options there are when it comes to flu vaccines, which are the ones to be injected? It is a good idea to get the opinion of a doctor to see which one to choose. This is because the choice is dependent on a variety of factors, which a medical professional would be able to assess appropriately. Note that it is important not to use the nasal spray version of the vaccine as the medical authorities have recently found that it is not as effective a method as it once was.
When should you get it?
Flu season does vary across the world, but in the US, it starts in about October and goes on till May. During this time, the flu viruses are a lot more active. When one gets a flu shot, it is this period that one needs to look out for. So, it is better to get vaccinated in late September or the start of October, so that there is minimal unprotected exposure to the viruses.
Who is it for?
It is to be kept in mind that every individual who is older than six months should be vaccinated. While it is said that getting a vaccine shot year after year reduces its effectiveness, it is still important to do so. This is because each year, the shot is altered to reflect the biggest virus threats in that year. There might be few side effects of the flu vaccine such as redness in the injected area, soreness or swelling. However, as long as one gets a flu shot in time, it is almost a given that there will be almost no time spent ‘down with the flu’.
Advice for an expectant mother is plentiful to come around from family and friends. While it may be well intentional, it may not be the best advice possible. One of the things most people would advise is to avoid exercising as it may affect the health of the mother and the baby. This is in fact a very wrong advice as expectant mothers like everyone need exercise to stay fit and healthy. The only difference from normal people is that certain types of exercises may not be suitable for pregnant women and the nature of exercises may change from trimester to trimester.
Some of the best exercises during pregnancy
- Swimming: This one is in fact recommended by doctors as the best and the safest exercise for pregnant women. Swimming is beneficial because of the following reasons:
- Walking: This is one of the safest exercise during any trimester as long as you don’t over exert yourself. Walking promotes blood circulation, improves heart health and is all around a good exercise for pregnant women. The key is to invest in a good pair of shoes for walking so as to prevent the knees and legs from jarring and also to support your upper body properly.
- Stretching: In the later trimesters, it may be a little difficult to manage other exercises as your body becomes heavier and movement may bse limited. However, you can do basic stretching exercises to improve mobility and also help with circulation.
- Weight training exercises: Certain exercises which utilize the weight of your body rather than external weight can be performed easily. You can also use lighter weights to help keep muscle tone and strength. A few examples of these exercises are
- Side leg lifting: Lie on one side and lift one leg up slightly higher than hip height. You can use your forearm for balance in this case. Keep lifting the leg and hold it there for a few seconds and do the same motions a few times for repetitions.
- Curling and lifting: Sit on a chair with your back straight with 2 to 4 kilo weights in each hand and curl up your hands up to the shoulders. Sit with your legs spread apart but comfortably. Also start the curl with your fore arms at a 90° angle from your elbows.
- Yoga and meditation: Yoga is possibly one of the most well suited regimens during pregnancy. Pranayama and meditation can definitely help you be more at peace and also manage many of the changes happening in your body in a much better fashion.
It is best to consult with a specialist or a physiotherapist who can give you a step by step guide as to the exercises you can do and the precautions that you need to take while performing them.
Anal fistulas or fistula-in-ano generally cause discomfort due pus or watery discharges and sometimes pain. This is a condition where a nodular swelling appears in area surrounding the anal opening. Intermittent pus discharged is noticed from this nodular swelling. Instead of a nodular swelling; there might be simply an opening in this region. An anal abscess is one of the most common causes for this condition.
Here are ten things you should know about these anal fistulas:
- It is curable through Ayurveda only: Till date many treatment options are tried to cure Anal Fistula which include Anal Fistula Surgery/ Glu technique/ cutting seton/ Colostomy/ Fistula plug/ VAAFT and many more. But all of these treatment methods have pretty high recurrence rate of about 20-25 %. However with Ksharsutra treatment for Anal Fistula; chances of recurrence are negligible. Other complications generally seen in surgery like bleeding, incontinence (inability to hold stool); are not seen with Ksharsutra Treatment. Clinical trials conducted by Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR); at AIIMS New Delhi and PGI Chandigarh in 1992 have proved that Ksharsutra treatment is more convenient and more effective than Surgery in the patients of Anal Fistula.
- There are symptoms you can look out for: Some of the symptoms that indicate anal fistulas include appearance of a nodular swelling in area surrounding Anal opening. Intermittent pus discharge is also observed from this swelling. Usually pain subsides and opening closes after the discharges; and patient feels relief. But after certain interval of time again pus accumulates; swelling re-appears with some amount of pain which is again relieved after the discharge. This cycle is repeated at varying interval in the patient of anal fistula.
- Medication can only provide temporary relief: Anti biotics and painkiller might give temporary relief from the symptoms. But after some time there will be again pus formation and associated swelling & pain in area surrounding anal opening.
- Anal fistulas can recur after surgical treatment: As discussed above all the treatment options tried by modern medicine (including most recent treatment VAAFT) have high incidence of recurrence (about 20-25%) Whereas there are negligible chances of recurrence after Ksharsutra Treatment for Anal Fistula. .
- Anal fistulas treated by Graded Ksharsutra do not recur: Ayurvedic treatment for anal fistulas is known as Kshar sutra therapy. This involves the use of medicated thread being ligated in Fistula Tract. The medicines present in this thread act as a strong debriding agent and induces healing of Fistula tract. In few weekly sittings of Ksharsutra change; Fistula gets healed completely and it do not recur. Pt. maintains his normal routine life during treatment period.
- Sitz bath can be beneficial: This involves sitting in a tub filled with warm water so that the affected site is submerged. An antiseptic and astringent agent like Triphala decoction may be added to the water if needed. A sitz bath soothes the skin and provides relief from pain. This also helps keep the area clean and thus reduces chances of infection.
- Oily and spicy foods should be avoided: When dealing with anal fistulas, you should try and take a diet that keeps your stool soft and regular. Hence use of oily and spicy foods should be reduced. Eat plenty of fiber and drink lots of water. Alcohol should also be avoided.
Ksharsutra vs Surgery in Anal Fistula Patients-
- Ksharsutra is done under Local Anesthesia. Hence complications of General Anesthesia are avoided. Surgical procedures are done under GA with all impending complications of General Anesthesia.
- Ksharsutra being a parasurgical procedure hence no bleeding/ cutting of tissue is involved. Surgery involves cutting/ bleeding.
- No hospitalization or bed rest is required in Ksharsutra Treatment. In Surgery hospitalization is must.
- In Ksharsutra; patient can continue his normal daily routine Surgery may require bed rest.
- Complications like incontinence (inability to hold stool) and recurrence are seen after surgery
- Ksharsutra is a safe procedure and these complications are not seen.
- Ksharsutra Treatment is more economical as compared to VAAFT surgery. VAAFT Surgery is comparatively too expensive.
Anxiety has become a common phenomenon in the recent years. The constant pressure of being the best has taken a toll on people of all ages. It is a widespread misconception that anxiety only affects the mind, but the truth is that the body is equally affected. People often ignore this condition which worsens the condition and also leads to several other severe problems.
There is no medication required to treat anxiety in the initial stages. Simple changes in diet and lifestyle help treat anxiety if the condition is not severe. Following are some of the ways to treat anxiety without medication-
- Exercise: Exercise is considered to be one of the best ways to fight anxiety. Exercising helps release endorphins and serotonin, which are the 'feel-good chemicals' that improve emotional well-being. Research also suggests that exercise increases the body temperature that may alter the neural circuits which changes the cognitive function. One does not need to do a heavy work out or strength training; a simple brisk walk for around 30 minutes or basic yoga for some time during the day helps treat anxiety.
- Limit the intake of caffeine: Caffeine is a natural nervous system stimulant. It triggers the “fight or flight” response in the body. The energy produced by caffeine can lead to an anxiety attack. Hence, it is suggested to avoid or limit the intake of caffeine.
- Avoid overthinking: Overthinking is one of the most common causes of anxiety. If one is not able to communicate what he/she thinks, then it affects the mental health. It is not necessary to talk to a certain person; one can also express these emotions or feelings through writing, art, and another medium. It is suggested to not keep the emotions in the mind and let it flow in any form he/she wishes to, though one may not find a solution for the same.
- Get adequate sleep: One needs to understand that sleep is important for the body, as it helps in proper functioning of the body. Therefore, it is important that the body gets the required sleep so that it can function at its optimum the next day. The ideal rest time is 8-10 hours.
- Do not avoid food: Hunger increases the blood sugar level, which in turn results in the release of the stress hormone called cortisol. This can disturb the emotional state and make one prone to anxiety. It is suggested to avoid food rich in fats and sugar if one is hungry for a long period of time.
Anxiety can prove to be the worst enemy if it is not treated properly and at the right time. Although medications help treat the condition, anxiety medications have some serious side effects too. Therefore, it is advised to treat the condition in the early stages and avoid these medications. Also, following a healthy diet and making some changes in the lifestyle help fight the condition better. To know what works best for you, it is best to visit a psychiatrist at the earliest to avoid unnecessary complications.
There are many cosmetic ingredients that can actually have a negative effect on your skin in the long run. The skin is a layer that must be taken care of. This does not merely include staying away from pollutants and dirt and cleaning your skin with the best products. It also means staying away from the wrong cosmetics and ingredients which can harm your skin.
So, let us look at the ten elements from the world of cosmetics that can do more harm than good for the skin.
1. Carcinogens in Lipsticks: This cosmetic ingredient can suck the moisture out of your lips and leave it looking discoloured in the long run. The carcinogenic oils and chemicals that are contained in many long wear lipsticks can damage the delicate skin leaving it exposed to the risk of cancer as well.
2. Benzoyl Peroxide: This is a toxic element that can be found in a number of cosmetics and must be avoided at all costs as it may also expose you to the risk of cancer.
3. Synthetic Colors: The use of synthetic colours in many cosmetics helps you in getting that unique colour of your eyes, cheeks and even lips. But did you know that too much use of this product can actually harm your skin? This is due to the coal tar source of the ingredient which is a skin irritant.
4. Parabens: These widely used preservatives can be found in a number of cosmetics like body washes, shampoos, facial cleansers and even deodorants. This has elements that can cause breast cancer with its estrogen mimicking effects.
5. Triclosan: This antimicrobial chemical also acts as an endocrine disruptor, which can have an adverse effect on the thyroid glands as well as the production of the reproductive hormones. It can be found in soaps and toothpaste.
6. Bleach Cream: Hydroquinone cream is one of the most commonly used ingredients in bleach creams, which causes significant damage to the skin. This also breaks down the essential natural oils of the skin to cause redness and rashes.
7. Acrylates in Nail Paint: These chemicals are usually found in acrylic nail paint and can cause cellular damage on the skin and can cause neurological problems and organ toxicity.
8. Fragrance: The chemical and synthetic fragrances used in many perfumes can be found in detergents and fabric softeners as well, which can have a harsh effect on one’s skin.
9. Dioxin: This is an ingredient used in many cosmetics and it may cause malfunctioning of the nervous system as well as rashes on the skin.
10. Wax: Wax is an ingredient can cause bleeding and lead to changes in the direction of the growth of hair from hair follicles. It can also make the skin rough in the long run.
Before commencing on how to deal with a prodigal child, let’s go to the meaning of the same. The literal meaning of prodigal is wasteful—mostly with regard to money. Its origin lies in the Latin word ‘proagere’ where ‘pro’ means forth and ‘agere’ means to drive. It talks about a person who wastes money by spending it in a reckless manner.
A prodigal child is almost always adamant to make damaging and dangerous decisions, which is quite disheartening for a parent to see. The given points will help parents breathe a fresh whiff of oxygen to deal with such a situation.
- All decisions are God’s: If you realise and accept that all decisions are made by the almighty, you will live peacefully. A human being cannot take charge of another person’s attitude. And when we force things upon anyone, we often end up doing more harm than good.
- Being good to yourself: One of the most important things for a person is to take care of oneself. Sometimes, you need to go out and hang around with your friends. Friends act as great counsellors and when you see them often, you will naturally feel relieved and your body will act in a positive manner. Staying healthy and fit when you know your loved ones need you is your foremost duty.
- Love unconditionally: When you love someone, there would be no complaints. All that needs to be there is just love. Don’t give up on your prodigal child, but pamper him/her and shower as much love as you have on them.
- Bail them out: Sometimes, you need to let the person you love make his/her own choices. Being a parent, you would think selfishly in terms of your child’s betterment and protection. But sometimes, release is the best option to pick to let your child decide on his/her own.
- Accept them: Possess the power to receive your child after he/she has been long off. You should have the courage to accept them, show compassion towards them, run for them, and embrace and kiss them. This will make them feel welcome. You may experience much pain from what your prodigal kid put you through, but upon their return, remember to shower your love on them.
- This too shall pass: Know that this is just a temporary phase, which will definitely get over. This attitude makes it less painful when you watch the destructive behaviour of your children.
- Don’t think you are alone: Everyone has their issues which parents of prodigals do not often consider. These parents feel they are alone and none can relate to their problems. But the truth is there are many people out there who are ready to listen to you and be by your side—just explore.
- Develop boundaries: Say no to abusive behaviour from your prodigal child. Draft out the rules to follow at home. Your prodigal child will throw tantrums, but when you establish boundaries, they will try to act accordingly. Strategize in a way that your child should feel that if they cross their limits, it will have serious repercussions.
- Pray: When you know your strength is waning, pray for your prodigal daily. You can put forth your wish list before God.
- Never give up: It may take your prodigal child weeks, months or years to correct themselves, but never give up the hope of them improving over time.
Homeopathy is a slow form of treatment, but is has negligible side effects. This makes it safer to self medicate with light doses of homeopathy than an antibiotic. Homeopathy can be used for first aid, to fight common infections and as general constitutional remedies.
Here are a few common homeopathic medicines you should keep at home.
- Nux Vomica: Nux vomica can be safely used to treat gastrointestinal diseases, a loss of appetite, depression and migranes. The ideal dosage for nux vomica depends on the age of the patient, their overall health and several other conditions. Nux vomica can also be used to cure a hangover.
- Aconite: When taken at the onset of a cold, aconite can stop the virus from progressing further. Aconite can also be used for joint pain, gout, inflammations and to speed up the healing of wounds. Apart from the pill form, aconite can also be used as a cream.
- Arnica: If you have kids at home, arnica is a must have. It is the most common homeopathic remedy for bruising, accidents, injuries and shocks. It can also be used to treat arthritis and the pain that follows dental work and jet lag. Arnica can also be used to promote hair growth. Depending on its use, arnica can be used in the form of pills, cream or oils.
- Cantharis: Cantharis is an ointment that should be kept in every kitchen. It is the most effective anti inflammatory cream to treat burns of any kind. When a burn is treated with cantharis, it leaves minimal scars. It can also be used to treat urinary tract infections. Cantharis is usually used as a cream.
- Magnesia phosphoric: This is a must have for women. It can be used to treat any form of cramps including menstrual cramps. It can also be used to treat tiredness, headaches, nerve pain, insomnia and to help a person relax. Magnesia phosphoric is usually prescribed in the form of homeopathic pills.
- Rhus tox: Rhus tox is a common homeopathic remedy for muscle sprains and bruising. It is also beneficial for people suffering from back aches, arthritis, sciatica and body aches associated with the flu. Rhus tox is usually found in the form of homeopathic pills.
One should not do any type of self medication, however, you should check with your homeopathic practitioner about the dosage and frequency of consumption. Do not take it for granted that homeopathy has no side effects and take a more intense dose than required. Also store these medicines properly. Ideally, homeopathic medicine should be stored in a cool place without direct exposure to sunlight or extreme heat or cold.
Are you experiencing skin itchiness and development of dry, scaly rashes on your skin? This indicates you have eczema, which is a group of skin diseases occurring due to the inflammation and irritation of skin. Atopic dermatitis is the most common form of eczema. The disease can be controlled if proper treatment is undertaken.
Itchy skin is the most common symptom of eczema. In some cases, the itching starts before the development of the rash. The rash appears most commonly on the back of the knees, face, hands, wrists and feet. The affected areas become dry and thickened and in people with a fair complexion, the areas may turn reddish initially and then become brown.
The specific cause of eczema is yet to be determined. However, the condition is associated with an overactive response by the immune system to an external irritant. This response leads to eczema. The condition is more common in people who have a family history of allergies or asthma.
- As the condition turns the skin dry and itchy, certain creams and lotions are recommended to be used in order to keep the skin moist. You should apply these products when your skin is damp, ideally after taking a shower. This helps the skin in retaining moisture. You can use a cold compress to ease the itching.
- Several creams such as hydrocortisone cream and ointments which contain corticosteroids are prescribed in order to reduce inflammation.
- In case the affected area becomes infected, antibiotics should be taken to eliminate the infection-causing bacteria.
- Antihistamines are used for reducing the severity of the itching.
Prevention of Eczema Flare-ups
- Moisturize your skin frequently
- Avoid sudden changes in humidity or temperature
- Abstain from overheating and sweating
- Try to reduce stress
- Avoid starchy material
- Avoid soaps, detergents and solvents, which are harsh
- Be aware of food items which trigger eczema flare-ups
It is recommended for you to consult a dermatologist if you experience any symptom of eczema. This will help you with a quick diagnosis so that you can start the treatment without further worsening of the symptoms.