Book Clinic Appointment
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Submit a review for Dt. Sonal MehtaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I was diagnosed with body weakness. I was admitted to the First Step Nutrition in case of emergency, but not once did any of the nurses panicked. she never gets frustrated, even when I ask a number of queries. Even though Sonal Mehta is not from our city, she is still very famous, so we consulted him. I have consulted so many doctors but nobody till now was able to understand my concern properly, until i consulted Dr Sonal MehtaI am so much benefitted with her treatment, that i am perfectly fine now. the waiting area in the First Step Nutrition is very comfortable for elderly patients.
She is very professional and is a really patient listener. It was so quite pleasant in the First Step Nutrition. Her diet suited me the best and now I am fine. Due to my increase height i was feeling very depressed and had no hope. Someone from the office, referred us Dr Sonal Mehta. Sonal Mehta has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes her reference. The overall atmosphere in the First Step Nutrition is very soothing.
Due to my issues to lose weight i was feeling very depressed and had no hope. She is very courteous and behaves very aptly with elder patients. I read about Dr Sonal Mehta on one of the social media platform. All the staff members were very helpful. Finally with her treatment, I am completely fit. Sonal Mehta has in depth knowledge and ensures that she explains the problem in detail.
I had lost hope, but the staying healthy diet given by Dr Sonal Mehta has helped me regain my good health. So many doctors I consulted, but her treatment was the best. All of sudden I developed this need for a diet for staying healthy . Even in case of long queues, the staff was managing people in a very positive manner. She is very courteous and behaves very aptly with elder patients.
As someone I knew, consulted this Sonal Mehta and they referred us. Sonal Mehta has in depth knowledge and ensures that she explains the problem in detail. They took very nice care of me, i never felt that I am in a First Step Nutrition. The First Step Nutrition was equipped with various facilities. She is one of the best physicians in city. i took a gain weight treatment
I feel strange that I am suffering from weightloss issues. The First Step Nutrition have proper facilities for disabled patients as well. I am so thankful that Sonal Mehta has given me the best advice and I am now finally able to get back to my normal self. All the staff members were very helpful. I read about the Sonal Mehta on one of the social media platform.
Due to my weight loss issue I was feeling very depressed and had no hope. Dr Sonal is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. The entire First Step Nutrition was spotlessly, clean. The complete process of weight loss treatment was so painless and quick, and i am so relieved that I chose to consult her.
I found the answers provided by the Dt. Sonal Mehta to be knowledgeable. thank u so much, madam. some doctor confused me unnecessarily that if one's weight is reduced due to stress or chronic anxiety, the LDL iis also reduced too. now I'm clear. bad fat will be reduced only by proper diet and exercise.
dr Sonal Mehta is not just highly qualified, but has years of experience in handling high risk cases like anorexia.with her treatment, I am completely cured from the disease. Thanks to her. She can be consulted at First Step Nutrition in Hubli.
I found the answers provided by the Dt. Sonal Mehta to be practical, knowledgeable, well-reasoned, sensible and thorough. Thank you for providing such a detailed and feasible advice
I found the answers provided by the Dt. Sonal Mehta to be very helpful, inspiring, helped me improve my health, well-reasoned and sensible. Share feedback in your own words...
I found the answers provided by the Dt. Sonal Mehta to be very helpful, knowledgeable and helped me improve my health. Share feedback in your own words...
Dt. Sonal Mehta provides answers that are caring, knowledgeable, very helpful, well-reasoned and inspiring. She is good i swear
Dt. Sonal Mehta provides answers that are caring. Share feedback in your own words...
It was good. I am taking help from her to get rid of my weight issue
She is taking me back to my previous shape..I am enjoying it..
Dt. Sonal Mehta provides answers that are thorough. Thanku
Can diabetics eat fruits? This was one of the most frequently asked questions. Today the question is what foods are good for diabetics as research has put our worries about fruits raising blood sugar permanently to rest. So, what are the best fruits to eat if you are a diabetic?
As a diabetic you should eat fruits that are relatively low carb, have a relatively low Glycemic number and are relatively high in fibre. Let’s explore this in detail now.
- Low glycemic index fruits are best: This means apples, citrus fruits and berries are best for you. These fruits lower the rate of production of insulin in your body which means they have a low glycemic index. They are also low- carb foods, which means they are not converted into the dreaded sugars on metabolization and cause a sugar spike.
- Berries: They are the best fruits for diabetics. They are low in carbohydrates and have a low glycemic index of 20 – 45 GI. They are also exceptionally high in fibre which prevents the high sugar surge. In berries also raspberries and blackberries have fewer carbs and a lower glycemic index than blueberries.
- Stone fruits: Stone fruits are fruits that have a single large seed or “stone” in the middle with a sweet fleshy outer layer. Some of the common ones include cherries, peaches, plums, and apricots.
- Almonds: Almond, a dry fruit is also a superstar in the diabetic diet.
Which fruits should be avoided?
- Bananas are high in carbs and have an average glycemic index of 55 which can be much higher with super sweet bananas. So, eat only twice a week and stick to smaller-sized bananas.
- Cantaloupe, watermelon, and pineapple are examples of fruits that are very high in carbohydrates so you must eat them only occasionally.
- Fruit juices are high in sugar with a high glycemic index and they have no fibre. So, even a small quantity of juice can play haywire with your blood sugar levels. Plus, when you drink a fruit juice, you miss out on the many nutrients you’d imbibe in the actual whole fruit.
- Dry fruits are concentrates of sugar and should, therefore, be avoided by diabetics.
What is even better is that fruit is a natural blood thinner. So, eating more fruit may prevent cardiovascular problems in both diabetics and non-diabetics. Remember to eat fruit earlier in the day as this will prevent a sugar spike as a diabetic. Also, mind your portion size. It is also best to have fruit as a meal with your meat and veggies, rather than as a standalone portion. This prevents sugar spikes. Most recent studies are also confirming that a diet high in fruit can work best for reversing type 2 diabetes, while also taking care of high blood pressure and a fatty liver.
Pcos is a hormonal disorder affecting many women leading to abnormal weight gain, high sugar levels and infertility. It is said even a 10% reduction in weight improves the overall condition in pcos. Losing weight is the only way to manage pcos and diet plays an 80% role in the same. Balance nutrition offers this online program for weight loss for women with pcos. Along with the diet, special super foods from the kitchen are incorporated to ensure you lose weight, correct the hormonal imbalance and regularize periods
What is pcos diet?
A typical low-fat weight loss diet like the simple 1200 calorie diet plan is not effective enough to promote weight loss in women suffering from pcos because in this case, weight gain is a result of high insulin levels that promotes fat storage in the body. Polycystic ovaries treatment and weight management call for a specialized low gi diet that includes selected combinations of foods that don't cause a rapid rise in blood glucose levels.
6 healthy food groups to include in a pcos diet menu
The following is a healthy pcos food list that can be included in the daily diet in order to manage the polycystic ovarian disease in a more effective manner and prevent weight gain which is one of the most recognizable symptoms of this condition.
Green leafy vegetables
The benefits of eating fruits and vegetables to lose weight are well known, but it also helps to control polycystic ovary syndrome naturally. Leafy vegetables have maximum nutrients per calories compared to other foods and also rich in calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium along with vitamins k, c and e and most importantly essential b vitamins which plays an imperative role in managing the symptoms of pcos. B vitamins especially b2, b3, b5 and b6 help in better sugar and fat metabolism, improve thyroid functioning and render better hormone balance, improve fertility all of which are essential for pcos management.
Green leafy vegetables for pcos
The minerals help to neutralize the acidity caused by inflammation and impaired glucose tolerance. Calcium helps in egg maturation and follicle development in ovaries; potassium is needed for fsh (follicle stimulation hormone) production. It helps to reduce pms symptoms and also promotes weight loss.
Brightly colored vegetables not only makes for an appetizing salad but also helps in controlling pcos and must be included in the pcos diet plan. Colourful vegetables are loaded with powerful antioxidants that help to neutralize the harmful effects of oxidative stress in women suffering from pcos. Coloured vegetables
Some of the healthiest colored vegetables include red and yellow bell peppers, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, eggplant, etc.
This is the next set of healthy foods that must be included in pcos diet recipes. Although most women suffering from pcos are reluctant to include fruits in their diet because of the fructose content that causes a sudden spike in blood sugar levels and consequently insulin levels, fruits are really rich in phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals and fibres so it should not be avoided entirely.
Fruits and vegetables
Include fruits that have low gi such as lime, strawberries, apricot, grapefruit, lemon, cantaloupe, guava, pear, oranges, watermelon, blueberries, nectarines, apples and kiwifruit and also eat a handful of nuts or seeds with the fruits for the much needed protein boost that helps to control the sudden sugar spike caused by fruits. You can also try delicious kiwi smoothie recipes which are loaded with nutrients.
Proteins are extremely important for your health. Protein is present in every cell of your body, it generally makes up your hair and nails along with keratin. Your body needs various supplements to stay healthy, such as fats and carbohydrates. These are called macronutrients (you need to consume it in huge amounts to stay hale and hearty).
Where can you find protein?
- It is present in milk, fish, eggs and meat.
- If you happen to be a vegan you can consume soy, beans, legumes and nut butter.
- Protein bars, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, anchovies, peanut butter, tofu, wheat germ, quinoa and edamame also contain a high amount of protein.
Why should you consume protein?
- It can reduce the risk of diabetes by producing natural insulin and progesterone protein.
- The substance called hemoglobin carries oxygen to your blood cells. So without hemoglobin oxygen would not be supplied to your muscles.
- If you have a heat shock, proteins can help reduce the stress and rebuild your cells.
- If you have lack of protein in your diet, it will be difficult for you to move and can also result in paralysis.
- Since protein is present in your hair and nails, it also helps to make your skin taut and look younger since structural protein includes collagen. There are a lot of products available in the market like collagen creams; since collagen contains protein it is not possible that creams containing proteins applied on the skin can make your skin better. It is highly necessary to consume protein such that your blood flow contains proteins. This will make your skin seem youthful.
- After a surgery, it is important that you stack up on protein, because protein helps to close your wounds and make them heal faster.
- Protein shakes are also very useful when you want to attain a healthier physique after hitting the gym. During a workout, your body goes through a lot of micro-tears (wear and tear caused in your muscle due to contraction of your muscle).
So taking protein shakes after a heavy workout helps your muscle tissues to be healed completely.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My weight is increasing so fast, I am not eating oily foods. I have got thyroid test done no issues in that. Can someone help me to rectify the reason behind my fatness.
Blood Pressure is nothing but a measure of force of blood pushing against your blood vessel walls. High blood pressure or hypertension is caused due to a diet rich in saturated oils and high in salt, along with lifestyle factors like obesity and sedentary habits. Basically, any activity or diet that leads to the constriction of your blood vessels can lead to hypertension. Hypertension is called the “silent killer’’ because it has no symptoms unless you get your BP checked regularly.
If left undiagnosed, hypertension leads to
- Kidney disease
- Heart failure
- Atherosclerosis or the clogging or hardening of arteries or blood vessels
- Aneurysms which means abnormal blood- filled swelling of an artery or vein
People who are at risk for hypertension are
- People with a family history of high BP
- Pregnant women
- Women on birth control pills
- People over 35 yrs
- People who are overweight
- Sedentary people
- People with a diet rich in oils and salty foods
Hypertension is a major lifestyle issue in the world today. But, it can be controlled by making lifestyle and dietary changes.
- Walking is very good for hypertensives and so is controlling the quantities of salt and saturated oils in your diet.
- The most common means of managing High BP is using something called DASH which means ‘Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension’.
- This means, as someone with high BP you should cut back on saturated oils or the oils that are solids at room temperature, as well as cholesterol and trans-fats.
All three can cause constrictions in your blood vessels by narrowing the lumen due to fat deposits on blood vessel walls putting more pressure on the blood vessels and causing hypertension. This effectively means that you have to cut back on oily foods of all kinds, fast foods and also fried foods.
- Red meats are associated with higher risks of cholesterol, so they should be avoided too.
- You should eat more whole-grain foods, fish, poultry, and nuts
- Low salt preparations should be preferred
- Avoid sweets, sugary drinks, and red meats.
The salt hypertension connection
Eating salt raises the amount of sodium in your blood and this puts a lot of strain on your kidneys whose work it is to remove excess water from your blood. This imbalance causes high BP due to the extra fluid.
This high BP puts extra strain on the insides of your arteries as well, and to cope with it the tiny muscles in the artery walls become stronger and thicker. This makes the space within arteries narrower and raises your BP.
So, do cut out extra salt, snack on unsalted stuff like pretzels and raw vegetables to keep a check on sodium levels. Also, do remember to read food labels very carefully to choose products that are low in sodium to keep your BP under control. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
I am 31 years old female. I got my tests done recently and found to have a vitamin D deficiency and iron deficiency anemia. My thyroid is ok. My height is 5'2" I feel fatigue and sleepy all the day. I have problem with my weight. One year ago it was 44 kg and after putting efforts in correcting my diet I made it 49 kg. Bt again I have lost weight in last 6 months and now m only 43 kg. I want to regain the weight, pls suggest.
Calcium is an essential mineral that is required by the body for various functions. It is used for building and maintaining strong bones and teeth. It is also used in the cardiovascular and nervous systems for preventing all kinds of health conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, lyme disease, etc.
It is, thus, extremely necessary to have calcium-rich foods as a part of your daily diet. Dairy products constitute as the primary source of calcium on an everyday basis. Of these, milk and curd are the two most important. But in case, you're wondering which one of the two is better for you, read on to find out.
There has been much debate about which is the better source of calcium - milk or curd. In very simple terms, milk ranks higher than curd in terms of calcium content. 100g of milk contains around 125mg of calcium, whereas 100g of curd has a lower calcium content of approximately 85mg. So if you really want to up your calcium intake, milk will be a better choice.
Other health benefits:
If one is to take into consideration other health benefits provided by these two food products, curd takes the lead by a landslide.
Following are the known benefits of curd:
- It is far easier to digest
- It is a suitable dairy product for those who are lactose intolerant
- It cleanses the digestive tract
- It prevents infections of the stomach and intestines
In the end, it's for you to decide what your body needs more. If it requires more calcium, choosing milk would be wise; but if you cannot digest milk, opting for curd will ensure you get a healthy dose of calcium along with scores of other health benefits. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
Phudina or mint leaves, the super herb of summer:
- If your immunity levels are low, common summer problems like digestive disorders, heat strokes, etc, are something that can be avoided with the right diet.
- The humble pudina leaves, an irreplaceable component in every kitchen, not only add great flavour to food, but are packed with numerous health benefits as well.
- It is packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients that work wonders for the human stomach.
- The menthol present in the herb stimulates the enzymes necessary for digestion, relaxes the muscles of the stomach, reducing the chances of indigestion and spasms. It is also known for its calming effect on stomach cramps and the ability to cure acidity and flatulence.
- Eating jackfruit puts an extra calories and extra weight.
- If there is such question in your mind then you should clear your doubt because eating jackfruit is much healthy.
- The flesh of fruit and even its seeds tends to be delicious and healthy.
- They are rich source of nutrients that are required to maintain healthy skin and even cardiovascular system.
- Jackfruit is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Vitamin b6 content in jackfruit fulfills about 25% of our daily requirement.
- The fat content of jackfruit is very low at just about 0.64 grams.
- Though water is not a nutrient, it is important to mention that jackfruit is made up 80% of water.
- Jackfruit contains a high amount of carbohydrate and calorie that provides energy instantly.
- It is rich in antioxidants that protect from cancer, aging and degenerative disease.
- Due to rich antioxidants, it is good for eyesight and protect from conditions like cataract and macular degeneration.
- It is a good source of potassium that maintains fluid and electrolyte level in balance. Also, it improves bone and skin health.
Diet during ramadan:
Suhoor (early morning meal before fast):
1. Recommend oats/barley/quinoa/ muesli/ whole wheat chapati which will give energy throughout the day as they are complex carbs
2. Include some good quality protien too along with carbs like eggs/ tofu/ paneer/ nuts etc
3. Can sprinkle chia seeds, flaxseeds over oats/muesli to get good fats
Iftaar (breaking fast):
- Break fast with water and 3-4 pc's of dates which gives instant energy followed by a bowl of fruit or vegetable soup (can add some pc's of chicken or lentils) to gradually start digestive system to work.
- Then it should be followed by dinner which should be ideally after 1-2 hr of breaking fast. Dinner should be balanced with a blend of complex carbs, good protien and healthy fats.
- Preferred to avoid refined oily fried foods as they can hamper digestion and cause acidity.
- Diet should be rich in fibre as constipation is a common problem during this time.
- Should drink lots of water throughout the day.