Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Deepanki Devi
Treatment of Underweight & Malabsorption Disorders
Customised Diet Chart
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Child Nutrition Management
Management of Weight Loss
Treatment of Iodine Deficiency
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Therapeutic Diets Treatment
Submit a review for Dt. Deepanki DeviYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dt. Deepanki Devi to be very helpful. Thanks mam for your valuable feedback
The doctor was friendly and very polite
Suitable and appropriate diet plan
Being over weight is a very common health problem. Although most people confuse weight with appearance, it is important to clear certain points. The way a person looks has nothing to do with weight; it all rests upon self confidence and self respect. However, weight can have major impact on the health of individuals.
A number of serious issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, gynaecological disorders tend to develop, which make lives nothing, but difficult. Given that we have a single life, why not enjoy the world without facing health issues.
Here are some tips that could help individuals lose weight fast.
- Eating food items that would speed up the fat burning process can be a great beginning. Beans, walnuts, apples, spices, oats, ginger, green tea are certain food products, which help in increasing metabolism, thereby, helping in breaking down the food into energy faster, without much sugar storage (which could change into fats eventually).
- Weight loss without exercise would be a slow process and might at times even be ineffective. Running, cycling, boot camping, zumba and body combats are certain ways that help lose weight faster. Also cardio is an important part of exercise that enormously helps in weight loss. Jogging, swimming, circuit training, cross-trainer etc. are certain examples of cardio exercises.
- Another great method for losing weight sooner is weight training. This not only helps in losing weight efficiently, but also helps in staying fit over the years. With proper weight training, the muscles can be made stronger, thereby improving metabolism because muscles help burn calories very efficiently.
- One major mistake people make in the spur of losing weight is cutting off meals. That is the worst one could do as not only does it not help in weight loss, but also at times causes just the reverse. It is important to have small yet frequent meals throughout the day.
- A proper sleep cycle is absolutely necessary for losing weight. Improper sleep would make us tired and prevent us from working efficiently and also indirectly cause our body to crave for sugar.
- Eating a proper, healthy and full breakfast that would include high fibre and protein would make individuals have a lot of energy throughout the day and also help avoid unnecessary munching.
- Walking everyday is a great way to lose weight. Walking for 30 minutes every day prevents gaining weight, however, walking 45 minutes promotes weight loss.
- Eating fruits vegetables and avoiding simple carbs is another advice for losing weight faster.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
A rising number of teenage girls in the country are getting affected with Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease or PCOD. Though an advanced menarche has become very rampant these days, there are many young women who are suffering from a delay in menarche which in turn is leading to PCOD as opined by gynaecologists. Obesity and sedentary lifestyle among young people have caused a rapid doubling of PCOD cases in the past five to eight years.
Occurrence and Symptoms:
Gynaecologists report that they get at least 15 fresh instances of PCOD cases, and a considerable number of teenagers aged 16-17 are not getting their menarche. Such patients are recommended to take a strictly balanced diet which will help them to lose weight. Initially, their mothers think that they would experience their menarche in proper time, but some girls are diagnosed with PCOD when taken to a family gynaecologist. Even worse, they could never imagine that their obesity can pave the way for such a grave health issue. PCOD can cause numerous other problems like delayed and irregular menses, rapid weight gain and tremendous difficulty in losing weight, developing acne and blocked skin pores.
Help yourself with the right diet:
There is no proven evidence regarding the cause of PCOD though gynaecologists are of the opinion that some females possess a predisposition to this disease, and it may run hereditarily in the family. You can alleviate your PCOD symptoms to a considerable extent by regulating your diet properly.
Have loads of fruits and green leafy vegetables and try to abstain from dairy products as many experts believe that dairy products are a direct cause of an increase in insulin levels, which can aggravate skin troubles along with other PCOD symptoms. Avoiding red meat and eating lean meat instead will help the condition and reduce the chances of infertility. It is always recommended to avoid hydrogenated and saturated fats, which are normally found in animal and dairy-based food. Try to put a stop to cheese, cottage cheese, clarified butter, pork, lamb, beef, etc. and certain baked products like cookies, cakes and fudges as they will trigger a rise in your blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
The following dietary tips can be helpful with the condition:
- High levels of the insulin hormone causes PCOS symptoms like high blood sugar, increased hair growth, weight gain etc. So, refined foods rich in fat and carbohydrates should be consumed in small amounts.
- Whole foods in their natural, uncooked form should be consumed fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans etc. These are low glycemic foods that reduce the glucose circulation by insulin.
- Intake of salt should be very limited. You should not consume more than 3 grams a day.
- Green vegetables have antioxidants. These are good for women with PCOS because they have a high amount of oxidative stress.
- Your daily diet should contain at least 30 grams of fiber to improve the digestion process and remove toxins.
- Milk and dairy products are best avoided because milk helps to increase the level of testosterone (male hormone) in the body.
- Soy products should also be avoided, especially if you are trying to conceive, because they interfere with the ovulation cycle.
- Processed fat is harmful but essential fatty acids found in avocado, fish, olive oil and nuts are important for the body.
- High levels of male hormones also cause high cholesterol. So foods which have high saturated fats like butter, cream, coconut oil and fatty meat should not be included in the regular diet of women with PCOS.
- Protein-rich foods like lean meat, fish, legumes, whole grains are beneficial as protein can stabilize blood sugar. These foods also keep you feeling full and prevent over-eating.
PCOD is such a condition which you can never afford to overlook. If you had been facing any of the common symptoms, then it is probably time to pay a visit to a responsive gynaecologist.
Methi or Fenugreek is a herb with green leaves that comes from the Pea family. The seed of fenugreek is bitter in taste and are used in preparing a number of medicines. The leaves of fenugreek, however, are quite tasty when cooked. 1 tablespoon of fenugreek leaf contains calorie, fat, fibre, protein, carbohydrate, iron, magnesium, vitamin B6 and phosphorous. It goes without saying that they are extremely beneficial for the overall health of an individual.
Here is a list of few benefits that methi leaf can extend to the body if consumed regularly:
- Address heart diseases: Fenugreek contains a compound known as galactomannan that plays a key role in addressing many heart diseases and helps the cardiac muscle to remain intact. The sodium and potassium content of fenugreek helps to maintain the heart rate and keeps blood pressure at an optimum level.
- Reduce inflammation: Fenugreek is known to address inflammation such as chronic coughs, boils, mouth ulcers, tuberculosis, mouth cancer, bronchitis and kidney ailments. Fenugreek slows down the absorption of sugar and stimulates insulin. They can be consumed daily in the form of a paste or along with food to address various inflammation of the body.
- Lose weight: Fenugreek helps to lose weight. The natural fibre content of methi, when consumed in the morning on an empty stomach, can help to curb hunger. Fenugreek swells in the stomach and gives a fulfilling feeling. They can become a major aid in any weight loss program.
- Address acid reflux: Fenugreek is an extremely good remedy for addressing heartburn and acid reflux. Fenugreek contains mucilage that coats the intestinal and stomach lining and thus soothes the gastrointestinal tissue. The methi seeds should be soaked in water before consuming.
- Helps in fixing a sore throat: 1 spoon of methi paste when mixed with honey and lemon reduce fever and give relief from a cough and cold. It is also capable of fixing a sore throat. It nourishes the body and helps to recover from cold in very short time.
- Menstrual discomfort: Compounds such as isoflavones and diosgenin possess estrogen-like quality. They can readily address discomfort associated with PMs and menstrual cramps. Methi is also found to help with mood fluctuation and hot flashes. Due to their iron-rich properties, fenugreek proves to be extremely helpful for women suffering from menstrual pain.
- Hair problems: Fenugreek is known to have a very soothing effect on the scalp that in turn makes the hair black and shiny. When fenugreek seeds are soaked overnight, boiled and mixed with coconut oil to form a paste, they can do wonders for the hair. They are also known to be ceasing hair fall and hair thinning.
Post-pregnancy weight can be difficult to get rid of. It is a gradual process and often takes time. Experts are of the view that hormonal imbalance and a sudden increase in the diet are the major cause of the additional weight. This being said, shedding weight is possible if a consistent effort is made on a daily basis. Here is a list of hat tips to get you started:
- Walk every day: Walking 5 minutes a day does the world of good in the endeavor of shedding weight. Post the 6-week check-up after the arrival of the baby, the duration of walking can be increased. Brisk walking for half an hour can help the body to weight as much as 300 calories a day.
- Weight training- Weight training is one of the best forms of exercise to lose weight quickly. If hitting a gym is a problem, a personal trainer can be hired for working out. Certain exercises such as lifting small weights, doing lunges is a good way to start.
- Breastfeed: Breastfeeding for a time duration of 30-45 minutes (about3-4 times a day) helps to lose 600-800 calories per day. Some women even report of shedding all their extra weight just through breastfeeding. This is by far the easiest way of losing weight.
- Say no to calories- Calories, by all means, will have to be avoided. Certain fast food items such as soda, chocolate, and chips should not be consumed at all. Instead, meals rich in nutrient, fresh vegetable, fruits, whole grains etc. should be consumed on a daily basis.
- Frequent meals- 2 to 3 heavy meals a day are detrimental to a person trying to shed weight. Frequent meals, on the other hand, maintain a steady blood sugar level, reduce the tendency of over-eating and do not let fat store in the body.
- Frequent naps- Studies show that frequent naps can help a great deal of weight. It reduces the craving of eating food with high calorie. It also revitalizes the metabolism and refrains a person from long term self-deprivation. Naps will also help to gather enough energy to perform other physical activities.
- Healthy snacks- Home-made snacks containing whole wheat, low-fat milk and yogurt are good snack options for post pregnancy weight loss. These snacks block hormones that are responsible for storage of fat in the body.
- Yoga or meditation- Yoga has proved to be extremely effective for women trying to shed post-pregnancy weight. It especially helps in toning down the fat in the upper and lower abdomen which is extremely difficult to get rid of. Yoga also relaxes the mind and helps to focus more.
- Consumption of warm water- Drinking warm water after every meal serves two purposes.
- It doesn’t let the fat store inside the body.
- It helps in better digestion. It has to be ensured that the water is mildly warm and drinkable.
- Avoid stress- Nurturing a baby is exhausting enough. Stress on top of this can be disastrous. It leads to depression resulting into junk eating. It has to be ensured that stress is avoided by engaging in activities such as cooking, painting or listening to music.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 35 years old women. I was a journalist n left my job during pregnancy. My height is 5.3ft before pregnancy my weight was 60 and after delivery it was 75 kg n in last 4 months it increases 85. 3 kgs now my baby turned 3 years she is still feeding n I have to restart my career in next 6 months so please let me know how I can reduce it fast. I am balancing my diet from past month n doing little bit yoga but want to use supplement like weight reducing shakes. Please suggest me. My sugar level n thyroids r in under control.
Healthy eating is not hard. It's just few changes we need to make and this wise changes will do great to your body. Like just a cup of tea can do wonders, why not choose the one which is good for us.