How to maintain the level of Vitamin D
Hi, viewers of Lybrate. I am Dr. Vishwas, here to give you some insight on some common medical illnesses that we come across. Now you must have seen that on and off, we get, advice by our doctors to check our Vitamin D and calcium level. And obviously, you must have seen, that Vitamin D has been found very low. It may be around 5 or 6 or may be below 10, and that is something which is very alarming. The normal level of Vitamin D, as a hormone, which is to be maintained in blood has to be at least 30, in International Units. And those, patients who, you know are on long term low levels of Vitamin D, complain of many things such as body ache, fatigue, low immunity; and then they suffer from some kind of infections, or some kind of, all the time, discomfort, weakness, lack of strength.
So we as doctors, always recommend getting Vitamin D levels checked at least once in a year. So once we start with therapy of Vitamin D, one has to remember that the sachet or the tablet has to be taken, early in the morning. It has to be taken on an empty stomach. The standard time should be between 6 am to 8 am. To take the dose, may be weekly once, or may be weekly twice, not more than. And the units normally recommended is around 60000 units, which is available in any brands. So I would always recommend my patients to take once in a week for 12 weeks period, which is sufficient, and then one should stop it; because over Vitamin prescription, as well as over Vitamin consumption can damage your liver.
We have found sometimes patients landing into liver issues because of hypervitaminosis. So both things are not good, very low levels and very high levels. You should maintain the optimum levels. Vitamin D, as well as calcium, both hand in hand, should go together, as a supplement, and they build up your loss of bones, especially in cases of osteoporosis; where the bones have, some kind of a vacuum inside and some kind of weaknesses which can make them easily fracturable, and also cause some kind of pain and discomfort. So Vitamin D, calcium, these are some kinds of investigation which are especially essential for bone health, to take care.
We also suggest sometimes to get Parathyroid Hormone Check Up (PTH). Parathyroid Hormone deficiency can also cause easy fractures. And it is very rare, but one should also check PTH hormone levels, that is, Parathyroid Hormone level, if it is recommended by your doctor and if Vitamin D correction is not helping the patient. So, early morning exposure during sunrise, or evening exposure during sunset, for 3 to 5 minutes, that is sufficient. If it is exposed to your skin, to get sufficient natural Vitamin D synthesis in your body. Because of skin, as well as kidney, both play part in Vitamin D formation, and it is one essential hormone, required for all 206 bones of your body. With the new advent of Vitamin D therapy, we also have sachet, we have a tablet, we have injections. So, depending upon your condition, your physician will recommend some or the other form of Vitamin D. Even the young child also needs Vitamin D supplementation. Nowadays even milk is fortified with Vitamin D, which is also a good step towards better health.
So I wish all my Lybrate users, to have normal Vitamin D, not only for them, but for all the family members, especially the elderly ones, younger ones, so they have excellent bone health and no fractures. Thank you, viewers, have a nice day.
Hello, friends, a very good morning to you. My name is Dr Vishwas Madhav Thakur. I am basically an M.B.B.S. graduate and a post graduate in occupational health, medical- legal systems, hospital management as well as H.R. management. I have been working with various corporates as their head or a chief medical officer and I am now a freelancer since 2012 and cater my services to corporates and do my private clinical practice at various locations including sector-49, Gurgaon. My address is already mentioned in the profile. I am available on lybrate for text, audio and video consultation for anyone who is in need.
Today I am actually talking about a very common thing that we find that is lifestyle disorders. Now, this lifestyle disorder is not someone is having some disease. It is just a disorder in the sense that you get some minor ailments or complaints for which you are bothered, your efficiency becomes disturbed and you feel that you need some kind of medical help. Now, this ranges from insomnia to blood pressure to depression, various body aches, cervical pain, back aches, intractable headache. So these are the symptoms for which people normally don’t go to a right doctor. They may consume some over-the-counter- medication and most of the time these medications damage the kidney or liver. They suffer from gastrointestinal issues like gastritis and ulcer. So finally they become patient and then at that time it may be late to normalize their routine and come back to healthy living.
So, if you get some lifestyle related issues of coping up with your time schedule or work schedule it is better to talk to a doctor, who can counsel you, who can offer you time and give solution through multiple approaches.
I request all of you to consult timely if at all you suffer from whatever lifestyle disorder you have and normalize if you give sufficient time of 4-6 months and a dedication to this.
Thank you, my dear. I wish you all the best and a healthy life ahead.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Management of Surrogacy
Submit a review for Dr. Vishwas Madhav ThakurYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Hemant Kumar Verma
Avtive listener, gave full attention to my query,having in depth knowledge in their field.
I had lost hope, but the weight loss treatment given by Vishwas Madhav Thakur has helped me regain my confidence. I have had this weight loss from quite some time. All of sudden I developed this weight loss and didn't know what to do. The entire Omega Healthcare Solutions was spotlessly, clean. He is a very practical doctor. I read about the Vishwas Madhav Thakur on one of the social media platform. With great ease Vishwas Madhav Thakur explained us the problem and how the treatment will be carried out. The Omega Healthcare Solutions have proper facilities for disabled patients as well.
I was suffering from diabetes. The entire Omega Healthcare Solutions is very nicely designed. Finally with hertreatment, I am completely cured from the disease. Both Vishwas Madhav Thakur and staff were very helpful. I saw Vishwas Madhav Thakur clinic's advertisement in newspaper and that is how we referred him. He is very patient with all herpatients. Vishwas Madhav Thakur has expert knowledge in the field. During the complete diabetes treatment program he always supported and motivated me.
I was suffering from Erectile dysfunction. I am so happy that I chose Dr Vishwas Madhav Thakur for my treatment as now I am perfectly fine. It's been more than a year now, and I have noticed considerable change in myself. One of my colleague referred Vishwas Madhav Thakur. The staff was very attentive to my needs. Whatever tests the doctor prescribed, were very correct and the gave they gave us an exact idea about my condition. I thank him for the treatment he gave.
A friend of mine referred to Dr Vishwas Madhav Thakur. Thanks to the expert care and guidance, I feel much better than before. I have noticed considerable changes in my self . Dr Vishwas Madhav Thakur has expert knowledge in the field. I must say the hygiene was maintained very nicely in the Omega Healthcare Solutions. Not only he is very calm and composed, but is also a very understanding doctor. I have recovered my hairfall issue to great extent.
Many people gave very positive feedback for this Vishwas Madhav Thakur. The entire Omega Healthcare Solutions was spotlessly, clean. Vishwas Madhav Thakur certainly knows the in and out of his speciality. The lab in the Omega Healthcare Solutions was very clean and well managed. Due to my pregnancy i was feeling very depressed and had no hope. Not only he is very calm and composed, but is also a very understanding doctor.
The complete process of pimples treatment was so painless and quick, and i am so relieved that I chose to consult him. I was shocked to experience acne/pimples. It was an amazing experience as everyone in the Omega Solutions is so nice. He is one of the best physicians in city. As someone I knew, consulted this Dr Thakur and they referred us.
I had a problem of acne and pimples from a long long time. Then i went to see dr Vishwas Madhav Thakur at Omega Healthcare Solutions in Gurgaon. The treatment brought back my flawlwss skin which was lost and made my life happy again. Thanks doctor
Thanks to Dr Vishwas for treating my UTI problem. I was very tensed due to this infection and was unable to cope up with. I must say that the doctor treated me very patiently and prescribed the medication only after the complete checkup.
Dr. Vishwas Madhav Thakur provides answers that are very helpful and prompt. Thanks for giving valuable advise, it helped.
Dr. Vishwas Madhav Thakur provides answers that are thorough. Share feedback in your own words...
Dr Vishwas is easily approachable and give a feeling of family doctor.
A very quick response, thanks a lot...
Very professional and learned
- We often come across few spell of stressful night due to lack of sleep.
- There is tendency to gulp sleep medication as choice of treatment but it is harmful on long term basis. So I am suggesting one small step to follow. Try a glass of milk with sugar, since milk is composed of tryptophan which is an amino acid which gets converted to 5 ht that induces relaxation feel and sleep.
- So this home made remedy which is complete food with antacid properties helping to induce sleep.
Whether we are a fitness freak or a low key exerciser, we all want to get the best out of our workout routine. You have the enthusiasm, time, workout gear and are all set to hit the gym. But before you do, here are the top things you must avoid before your workout.
1. Eat too much
Don’t eat right before your workout time as this will not give enough time for the body to digest the food. Eat healthy and well ahead of your workout schedule in order to prevent acid reflux or heartburns during your workout. Also, don’t exercise with an empty stomach as your body needs its energy to engage in any kind of activity.
2. Drink too much
You may think that it is a good idea to have a couple of glasses of water before you start your workout. However in reality, it would do you more harm than help. Drinking water excessively can decrease the salt content in your blood and cause dizziness or nausea. Drink water consistently throughout the day, so that you are not left drinking too much right before your exercise.
3. Do static stretching
Isn’t stretching good before the workout? Well, recent studies have found that stretching is not all that helpful before the start of the workout. It can increase your chances of getting hurt and leave you worse-off. But, don’t forget to warm up before. You can do a simple warm up like light jogging or some jumping jacks to get you into the groove.
4. Sleep too much
Again, like drinking or eating, sleeping can also impact your exercise. A power nap can leave you energized and fresh before the workout, but sleeping too much can make you feel lethargic and sluggish. Postpone your sleep routine for after-exercise hours.
You might feel tempted to take a dose of over-the-counter painkillers for any sort of discomfort or pain that you might be facing. But popping these pills right before the workout is an absolute killer. You will feel sore and put your health at risk, if you do so.
6. Drink alcohol
Alcohol can lower your blood sugar level and cause dehydration. The combination of booze and exercise is not healthy and could lead to several hazards during your workout. So, stay away from alcohol; even a glass of wine can cause harm.
7. Overdress or underdress
Proper apparel is essential for workout. Wear what you are comfortable with and choose the right fabrics. Don’t add too many layers and let your skin breathe. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!
My 2.8 year old son is having cough, fever only at nights from 3 days. Giving calpol, chericof, ambrolite from one day. Stil got fever and vomited too. What should do further?
Jaundice is a disease that is related to the liver. It affects thousands of people across the globe. Due to an increased build-up of bilirubin in the body, the skin, nails, and the eyes becomes yellowish in colour. While the condition is easily treatable, if detected in the early stages, it can be easily avoided if certain precautionary measures are taken.
- Food: It should be ensured that food is consumed fresh and hot in order to avoid jaundice. This is more applicable especially, during the monsoons when the chances of food contamination are on the higher side. Vegetables should be thoroughly washed before cooking in order to avoid any liver infection.
- Clean water: Consumption of clean water is a pre-requisite in order to avoid jaundice. Drinking filtered water should be an absolute must. If the water is known to be unsafe, it makes sense to boil it before drinking. Bottled or packaged water should be consumed when travelling outside to avoid the risk of jaundice.
- Frequent hydration: Drinking at least 3-4 litres of water per day goes a long way in refraining from jaundice. Water has multiple health benefits. Apart from keeping the body hydrated, it ensures good blood circulation and cleanses a lot of unwanted body waste. Even fruit juice can be consumed to stay away from jaundice. Certain beverages such as sweetened water should be eschewed to remain healthy.
- Vaccination: A jaundice vaccination goes a long way in ensuring that the disease cannot infiltrate the body. There are separate vaccines available to safeguard against both hepatitis A and B. In most countries jaundice vaccination are injected free of cost for children under 10 years. Jaundice vaccines are available over the counter as well.
- Alcohol consumption: Alcohol consumption can kill slowly. They are known to have adverse effects on the liver which can result in jaundice and a host of other complicated diseases. An alcohol addict also takes a lot of time to recover from jaundice. It, therefore, makes sense to refrain from alcohol or limit it to a bare minimum in order to avoid jaundice.
- Maintaining weight: Obesity is closely connected with the occurrence of jaundice. Fat cells not only increase the cholesterol level of the body but raise the risk of gallstones as well. It is important to maintain a healthy BMI to ensure that the liver functions well.
- Maintaining hygiene: Maintaining good hygiene is a good way to stay away from jaundice. Small yet important things such as washing hands before a meal, regularly taking bath, washing teeth twice a day, wearing clean and washed clothes will ensure that the liver is not infected in any manner what so ever. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.
Twice a day, use a gentle cleanser suited to your skin type and acne conditions. Follow with a non-drying toner and lightweight hydrator even for oily skin.
When there is too much accumulation of fat cells in the liver, the healthy tissue gets replaced by the fat cells resulting in fatty liver. The liver colour changes to yellowish greasy one. More than half of liver related diseases are caused due to fatty liver. Some of the common symptoms of fatty liver include excessive sweating, nausea, excess abdominal fat, itchy eyes, gallstones and fatigue. Luckily, though, a fatty liver is a reversible condition.
Here is a list of 5 effective ways to avoid fatty liver:
- Cut down on carbohydrate: Too much consumption of carbohydrate can result in fatty liver. Some of the biggest culprits are white flour and sugar related products. Since, the liver converts excess carbohydrate into fat, over consumption of food items such as pasta, potatoes, rice and breakfast cereals should be checked. A diet consisting of low carbohydrate and low fat should be designed and followed for cutting down fat in the liver.
- Cut down on alcohol: Chronic alcoholism is the second biggest reason of a fatty liver. Alcohol results in damage and inflammation of the liver cells, thus infiltrating a lot of fat cells into the liver. Alcohol also restricts the process of healing. Restricting alcohol is an essential towards cutting down fat in the liver. Low-fat alcohol such as red wine and brandy can be consumed twice or thrice in a week. If a person is suffering from a chronic liver condition, a doctor should be consulted before alcohol.
- Protein consumption: Breakfast should have an adequate amount of protein. It balances the blood sugar level of body, helps to fight cravings and helps the liver to detoxify foreign objects. Some good sources of protein include eggs, nuts, chicken, seeds and fish. The serving size should not be more than 4-6 ounces per day. Proper intake of protein will slowly reduce fat in the liver.
- Fresh fruit and vegetable: Fresh fruits and vegetables are some of the most powerful agents in cleansing liver toxins. They have the capacity to repair liver filters and remove excess fat. Even juice of vegetables fetches excellent results in getting rid of excess fats. Fruits, on the other hand, possesses vital mineral and vitamins that are used by the liver to eradicate fat cells.
- Get moving: If the endeavour is to remove fat from the liver, running and daily exercise has a pivotal role in achieving it. If a person has never worked out, a good way to start is to spend half an hour in a day running and doing free hand exercise. One can also get into a gym and try extensive cardio exercises to cut down liver fat. It is not safe to perform any high-intensity training should without an expert supervision. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.
Change of voice suggests vocal cord inflammation, hence any long standing change in voice should be reported to your family doctor.
When you encounter with severe throat pain and infection, it can disturb your routine heavily.
One needs a complete the antibiotic as advised by your doctor in complete dose and complete duration, half-hearted treatment and treatment taken by on own google search will definitely cause harm and produce bacterial resistance which becomes more difficult to treat therefore if the throat infection appears to be severe, it is better to consult a doctor in time because chronic throat infections can lead to issues related to heart valves and the matter becomes more serious when the heart valves get established infection secondary to the throat infection.
The mosquito may seem a very small creature, but can be deadly as they spread quite a few severe infections, with chikungunya being one of them. The disease got its name from an African language, which means to walk bent over.
Chikungunya is a viral disease that is carried by specific varieties of infected mosquitoes (Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus). It was originally confused for dengue, which is another mosquito-transmitted infection, but then called out as a separate disease. Both diseases start off with non-diagnostic symptoms including fever, rashes, fatigue, anaemia and headache. Dengue could be distinguished by the lowered platelet count, while the persistent joint pains and eye pain could be the distinguishing factor for the chikungunya.
The mosquito is the vector, which picks up the virus from one infected person and spreads it to another person. The virus does not spread directly from one person to the other. Once it reaches the blood stream, it multiplies in the body, and over a period of 1 to 12 days, the symptoms begin to appear.
Symptoms: The symptoms of chikungunya are listed below, which reflect the effects on the body.
The symptoms are generally nondiagnostic and generic including fever, rashes, joint pain, muscle aches, eye pain, fatigue, tiredness, lethargy, headaches, nausea and vomiting. The eye pain which occurs behind the eyes and the joint pains are the indicative symptoms, which point to chikungunya. In fact, the joint pains make the patient assume a stooped posture, and that is where the name chikungunya was originally derived from.
Most of the above symptoms subside over a period of 10 to 15 days but the joint pain continues. In fact, in many, it can continue to exist for months and even years and eventually develop into rheumatoid arthritis.
Though chikungunya is not a fatal disease by itself, it can produce long-term symptoms which can be severely disabling and affect the quality of life.
Anybody who is bitten by the infected mosquito can develop the disease, but there are some groups of people at a higher risk. These include newborns, the elderly people, and people with chronic conditions like diabetes, hypertension, and chronic heart disease.
However, once infected, the person develops immunity and future infections do not happen unless their immunity is severely compromised.
Treatment: There is no specific treatment, and symptom relief is provided through rest, hydration, pain killers for joint and muscle, antipyretics for fever, and avoiding aspirin.
While there is no vaccine for chikungunya, preventing exposure to mosquito bites when you are travelling and preventing mosquito breeding and reducing exposure to mosquitoes by using repellents and nets are advisable.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!