Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. SapnaYour feedback matters!
I am working in night shift from past 10 months. My weight has gone from 50 kgs to 46 kgs. Even the blood vessels on my face are becoming visible. I usually don't have breakfast due to the shift. Only have lunch and dinner and in the evening I have a glass of milk and some fruits as well. Please advise how to improve my diet so that my body remains fit, my face also glows and my weight is also balanced.
I have pcod and trying to conceive. My doctor gave me three month course of clofert 50 mg. First month it didn't work. Second month it worked and matured egg but pregnancy not happen. Third month again it didn't work till 18th day of period and after 18th day I didn't continue monitoring because I was demoralised. Now I am waiting for my periods and its not coming, my last month date is 7th June. I did pregnancy test at home it was negative. From last 4-5 days brown discharge is also coming but periods are not coming. Can you tell me what it happens. Is there any kind of expectation or its just periods delay because of irregularity. Trying to conceive from last two years.
About 85% of couples get pregnant within one year, but 1 in 7 couples take longer than a year to get pregnant. The good news is that you can improve your fertility in 7 simple steps in less than 4 weeks:
1. Control Your Weight
2. Timing of Intercourse
3. Improve HIS health
4. Test Your Fertility
5. Eat Healthy
6. Reduce Stress
1. Control Your Weight
Being under or overweight decreases your fertility, and maintaining an optimal weight improves your fertility. The best way to find out whether you weigh too much or not is to calculate your body mass index, the BMI.
Losing some pounds is cheaper than expensive fertility treatments , PLUS with a betterw eight you decrease major pregnancy complications and significantly improve your chances having a healthy baby. So why not try it first?
Timing of Intercourse in Relation to Ovulation
First of all do you know your fertile days? Do you ovulate? Do you hav e a regular menstrual cycle?
Your fertile days are the 5-6 days leading up to ovulation and the day of ovulation. Many couples don’t seem to realize that you need to make love regularly to improve your fertility. That means making love regularly throughout the menstrual cycles and more frequently, probably every 24-48 hours during your fertile days.
The egg can only be fertilized for about 24 hours after ovulation but sperm can live in the lower portion of a woman's reproductive tract up to five days. You can potentially increase your chances of conceiving by making love during the 2-3 days prior to ovulation.
Finding out when you ovulate is the key:
Create your own Fertility and Ovulation Calendar
Chart your basal body temperature (BBT)
Chart your fertility signs like symptoms and cervical mucus:
Use Ovulation predictor kits (OPKs)
3. Improve HIS Health and Get Him Tested
It takes two to get pregnant. Over 50% of infertile couples have a male issues. Which means that if he doesn't have enough sperms or his sperms are not healthy enough then your chances getting pregnant significantly decline. Do a sperm count and find out if his sperms are healthy and if he has enough of them. Follow these ten tips to improve his sperm count.
Get him checked for varicocele
Remove all toxins from his diet
Add a vitamin and herbal supplement to his diet
Make him lose weight if he is overweight
Keep the testes cool
4. Test Your Fertility at Home
There are several easy ways to quickly assess major aspects of your fertility at home.
Do a Basal Body Temperature Fertility Chart
Check your LH levels
Measure his sperms
Check your vaginal pH
5. Stay Away From Bad Stuff and Eat A Healthy Diet
Alcohol and smoking decrease fertility, make it less likely to get pregnant and increase pregnancy complications once you get pregnant.
Stop smoking. It is common knowledge that smoking is bad for your health, but studies have also shown that women who smoke are less fertile than those who do not. Also, women whose mothers smoked during their pregnancies are less likely to conceive.
Reduce alcohol intake. Drinking alcohol, even in moderation, can decrease fertility. The results of once study show a greater than 50% reduction in the probability of conception when the participants consumed alcohol.
You are what you eat and many doctors now believe a healthy diet PLUS supplements like folic acid can improve your fertility.
So what should you eat?
More monounsaturated fats (like olive oil) and less trans fats (like the kind found in many baked goods or fast foods).
Increase intake of vegetable protein (like soy), while reducing animal protein (like red meat).
More high fiber, low-glycemic foods — like whole grains, vegetables, and some fruits, while reducing the intake of refined carbohydrates and sugars.
Consume moderate amounts of high-fat dairy products — like ice cream, whole milk, and cheese.
No more caffeine. Studies have shown that women who drink excessive amounts of caffeine have delayed conception. In one study, women who drank more than one cup of coffee per day had a 50% reduction in fertility compared to those who did not consume coffee.
Take your vitamins. Especially vitamin E. Women trying to conceive should take a multivitamin or prenatal vitamin in addition to vitamin E. When couples were given vitamin E in one study, their fertility increased significantly.
Try herbal supplements. Herbs like Vitex (Vitamins AND Vitex are in FertilAid), have been used to successfully increase fertility.
The right diet can made a difference because the majority of women experiencing ovulatory dysfunction were also suffering from undiagnosed or sub clinical PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), a condition related to insulin resistance that also affects ovulation.
Check your current prescriptions. Some medications can interfere with fertility. Consult your doctor or pharmacist to see if your current medications could be hindering your chances of conception.
6. Reduce Stress
It’s rarely healthy to live with a lot of stress and the relationship between stress and infertility is less clear. But there are several studies showing that reducing stress may improve fertility.
What can you do to reduce Stress?
Get regular massages
Take long weekends off
Listen to music
Read and write journals
Spend more time with your family and friend
Hold hands with your partner
There are some studies done in women with fertility treatments which show that acupuncture can improve fertility. If after a thorough fertility work-up no specific reason for your infertility has been found, why not try acupuncture? There is little harm to use these methods and it can save you money getting pregnant.
Bleeding in early pregnancy or during the first trimester may or may not be a serious reason for concern, depending on the cause. But because bleeding can sometimes be a sign of something serious, it's important to know the possible causes, and get checked out by your doctor to make sure you and your baby are healthy. About 20% women have some bleeding during first 12 weeks. The possible reasons are implantation bleeding, miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, molar pregnancy, cervical changes and infection. So how do you deal with it? Here's a quick list.
- Hygiene: Ensure that hygiene is your first priority, especially during pregnancy.
- Light Bleeding: Light bleeding or spotting that is dull red or brown in colour is a normal occurrence for many pregnant women. This can point to the foetus getting lodged and pressing against your womb's lining, or even the cervical changes that you may be going through due to the implantation and impending trimesters and eventual delivery. The best thing to do in such cases is to not panic.
- Sex: Having sexual intercourse can also sometimes lead to mild spotting. Also, you should avoid using abrasive material and clothing during this time.
- Ultrasound: Go for an ultrasound and ensure that your pregnancy is normally placed and not ectopic. An ectopic pregnancy can lead to bleeding which can later become fatal. It may cause cramps in the lower abdomen region as well.
- Infection: Speak with your gynecologist and ensure that there is no risk of infection. Usually, many women suffer from infection (can be on cervix or vagina) during the early stages of pregnancy. This may give rise to spotting and mild bleeding. Take necessary actions and precautions to ensure that the infection does not get out of hand and is treated right away. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
Actually on 18/09/16 it was her first day of menstruation which came 4 days earlier and we had unprotected sex during menstruation and I ejaculated inside her vagina so is there any chances of getting pregnant? Because its the 20/09/16 today the 3rd day of her menstruation and the flow stopped today. I am worried because I don't need a baby right now. What are the chances of pregnancy? Is there any need of pills if yes then which one would be better? Rply fast plzz.
I'm 20 years old guy and my girlfriend had her periods in last month of 5th day i. E 5 of April and on this month of 4th may we had safe intercourse with condom later I just done fingering in her vagina and today is 13th of may she still didn't get her periods I'm worried of she getting pregnant but I'm sure that sperms are not entered in her vagina then how can her periods been delayed for so many days please guide me.
Will i have spotting after an complete abortion? Sonography reports are clear but there is still spotting sometimes. Does this mean The person has to go through a surgery?
Have you been trying hard to conceive, but in vain. Then here are 3 things you can do increase your chance of getting pregnant:
- Keeping track of the ovulation period: Even though regular sex throughout the month is advised, it is certainly more fruitful to know your cycle. You can only get pregnant when the sperm meets the egg, and the egg is only released around the 14th day in your cycle. This egg lives only for a day or two, so you have a limited window when you can actually get pregnant. Typically this window is approximately of 6 days, so it's best to have sex in this period. But it's important not get obsessive and put too much pressure to have sex on these days as the stress can reduce sperm quality. So be mindful of it and still enjoy the activity rather than being obsessive. There are several free apps that you can download to help you track your cycle.
- Have missionary sex at least once every 2-3 days: The key is to have regular unprotected sex for over a year. The success rate for this is 84%. It is advised that you have sex every two to three days in every month of the year, and it's not necessary to stick to only those days for having sex when the woman is ovulating. Further, a spiced up sex life can increase your chances of the girl getting pregnant. As for the position, the missionary position works best as it helps the sperm on travelling through the cervix, which in any other position proves to be difficult. You can make the path of the sperm even easier by placing a cushion under the woman as it tilts the uterus, allowing the sperm to travel through more easily.
- Try de-stressing: Psychological preparedness is as important as physical preparedness to maximise your chances of getting pregnant. These days couples lead very hectic and stressful lifestyles in which trying to get pregnant can only add to their stress levels. Increased stress lowers egg passage in women. Besides, trying too hard to get pregnant and the stress that it creates is the reason behind 30% of all infertility problems. In such cases, destressing by exercising, yoga, meditation or acupuncture is a good idea.
I have periods problem. Ot does not come on time. Sometime it comes a day or tow day b3fore or after. please hekp me regarding this.
Hi, my last period is on June 6th and I have regular periods of cycle for 30 days .but now still now I didn't get my period. I didn't have sex on fertile days but before and after fertile days I have involved in sex. Can you please suggest me about this.
Hello sir, Please can you help how to use female condoms into my virgin. How to put inside? Can you people show me how to use.
Sir, I want to ask you that can I and my partner have sex without any protection while her periods are going. Is there any possibility that she could get pregnant.
Somatic symptom disorder is when you put so much focus on symptoms such as pain or fatigue that you have trouble functioning or experience severe emotional distress. You will be visiting the doctor a lot, completely unnecessarily and will waste a lot of money when you have no major health concerns. However, there are treatments, which can help you cope with this problem. Read further to find out what they are:
- Worrying excessively about an illness, which has not yet occurred
- Frequent health care visits
- Fear of physical activity damaging your body
- Fearing that the evaluation of doctors is not adequate
There are many more symptoms, which may indicate that you are suffering from somatic symptom disorder. However, the most important way of telling whether someone is suffering from somatic symptom disorder or not is to see whether the patient is overly worried about a physical problem, which has not yet occurred. One of the first steps in making sure that this does not happen is finding out what causes the problem and preventing it. Here are the causes of somatic symptom disorder.
Causes: As with other psychological disorders, the exact cause of somatic symptom disorder is not yet known. However, there are a number of factors which may increase the risk of it, such as:
- Genetic and biological factors: These as well as an increased sensitivity to pain are some of the factors, which you have no control over.
- Environment you grew up in: Just like the genes you have, the environment you grew up in and your family influence will have a major impact on whether you develop the condition as well.
- Problems processing emotions: When people have problems processing emotions, their physical symptoms seem like a bigger problem than they actually are.
Treatment: Luckily, there are treatments for this disorder as well, which include.
- Psychotherapy: Psychotherapy is the most common treatment used to help people with somatic symptom disorder.
- Medications: Since depression and pain often occur when a person is suffering from somatic symptom disorder, antidepressants can be given as well.
Foods that elevate your metabolism is a good method of losing fat from the body. Include these foods in your breakfast, lunch and dinner to harness their fat burning power. Try these foods to kick start your metabolism:
- Eggs: Eggs are considered to be super foods as they are packed with nutrients. Rich in protein and vitamin D, eggs also help boost your metabolism.
- Lean meat: Include lean meats, such as chicken and turkey to your diet as they are rich sources of protein. They are also good sources of iron, the deficiency of which may lead to sluggish metabolism.
- Chili peppers: Chili peppers are good sources of 'capsaicin', a component that is known to kick start your metabolism into high gear. You may add chili peppers to your dishes to add some pungent flavor as well.
- Water: Dehydration may lead to you to feel sluggish the entire day; thus it is necessary to drink cold water as the body burns calories while warming the water.
- Coffee: The caffeine content in coffee is known to stimulate your metabolism.
- Beans: Beans are known to contain good amounts of protein and fiber. The fiber in the beans help in promoting satiety and restricts your food cravings. They are also rich in iron, a macronutrient that helps in improving metabolism.
- Berries: Berries are rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C that help combat free radical damage in the body. They also contain fiber that promotes healthy digestion.
- Chocolate: Chocolate is a good source of magnesium that helps to regulate blood sugar levels in the body. It is also known to stimulate various hormones in the body that burn fat.
- Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is known to regulate blood sugar levels in the body. It also boosts acid production in the stomach, thus promoting healthy digestion and contributing to an increased metabolism.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a herb that has certain properties which help in metabolizing carbohydrates in the body, thus increasing your overall calorie burn and kick starting your metabolism.
The pyramid diet was conceptualised in 1992 and it emphasises the best amount of servings to be consumed daily from the basic food groups (dairy, fruits and vegetables, grains, beans and legumes, meat, oils and fats).
The pyramid is divided into four levels. The very first level is comprised of grains, beans and legumes; the level above it is made up of fruits and vegetable; the third level from the top is composed of meat and dairy products and the very last one on top contains fats, sugars and oils.
The diet aims to divide the food groups in the above mentioned fashion to make you understand just how much to consume from each food group. Here is a breakdown of servings from each food group:
- Grains- 5 to 7 servings
- Fruits and vegetables- 2 servings of each
- Milk and dairy- 3 servings of which 1/2 serving should be dairy products
- Oils, sugar and fats- 6 teaspoons for oils and minimal servings for fats and sugars
This seems relatively easy to follow, but most people do not understand portion control. The amount or serving of food is called portion control and it is important if you want your diet to work. Here is a guideline that you can follow:
- When you are consuming one serving of grains in one sitting, you can choose to eat one cup of cereals or one slice of whole-wheat bread.
- When you are eating vegetable or fruits with your breakfast or lunch, choose one and a half cup of chopped vegetables, or one piece of orange, banana or apple.
- If you are drinking milk, then one cup of milk in one serving. And, if you are eating meat, choose one ounce of cooked fish or chicken.
- Lastly, do not go beyond one teaspoon of vegetable oil and try to keep your sugar intake to the minimum throughout the day.
The pyramid is an excellent guide to lose some weight. You just need some concentration and a ton of commitment to stick to the guide. Along with the diet, don't forget to get some exercise. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.