Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Flexible Partial Dentures Procedure
Acrylic Dentures Procedure
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sandeep SharmaYour feedback matters!
Tooth loss is a challenge for both the patient and the dentist. Patient has to deal with reduced chewing efficiency and altered appearance. The dentist, on the contrary, is faced with restoring the lost tooth to the maximum natural extent possible, functionally and structurally.
The fixed dentures came close with their ability to providing fixed teeth that were stable and aesthetically appealing. However, there was one big disadvantage, the adjacent teeth that were being used as abutment were reduced in size and therefore strength though they could be perfectly normal teeth.
In an effort to avoid this, the dental community started looking at options, the result of which was implant. Not just replacing the crown part of the tooth, even the root portion of the tooth is replaced here.
A biocompatible material, titanium, is put into the tooth to serve as the root. Titanium is strong, light, biocompatible (does not cause autoimmune reactions in the surrounding tissues) and most importantly osseointegrated (fuses to the surrounding bone). Once placed as the root, it gets absorbed into the bone after a period of about 2 to 6 months. Then, a crown or a denture is literally built on this root to simulate the natural appearance as close as possible. This provides not just the complete natural tooth structure but also provides support to the surrounding tissues like the gums and the cheeks.
Implant dentistry is a perfect example of teamwork including surgeons to operate and place the bone, prosthodontists to do the crown or the bridge, a periodontist to manage the gums health, and a lab technician who can do the finest job on the crowns or the bridges.
Types of implants:
- Three common types include: Single tooth replacement: In cases where a single tooth is lost, the implant would be one root that is allowed to fuse to the bone and then a crown is placed over it.
- Fixed multiple teeth replacements: If more than one tooth is lost, then bridges are fabricated by placing one or more implants and then custom-made crowns are placed over these implants.
- Removable implant supported complete denture: If all the lower teeth are missing, implants could be placed at pre-identified locations and then a complete denture fabricated over it. This is commonly done in lower jaws as stability is always a cause for concern.
The success of the implant requires good bone health. The most common contraindications would be patients with chronic diseases like poorly controlled diabetes, cancer in the line of jaws, chronic smoking, or poor periodontal health.
However, if managed well, even these patients can have implants after a detailed assessment by the dental team.
I am 27 years old I am suffering teeth building problem from 2 months not a pain but only building problem.
My old cap which is adjacent to my new cap it's slightly broken from the downwards corner ,slightly bleeding and little pain during only brush?
Sir I am suffering frm (chole) in my mouth specially on tongue sry but I do not know what to say (chole) in english but really sir I am regular suffer frm this I take medicine and tude ect but after some time it again start please sir give me suggestion please to overcome this problem.
I am a 25 years old guy and my question is - yesterday I use a thermocoal piece and suddenly a small piece of ball of thermocoal is struck in my mouth and go to my stomach. What happened to me now.
A missing tooth can be responsible for causing different health issues. Along with these, a person loses his ability of chewing with missing teeth, develop problems related to speaking and his overall facial appearance also gets affected.
In case of a missing tooth or several missing teeth, it is best advised to get dentures fitted. Dentures are false teeth, which are fitted in the oral cavity in place of lost natural teeth.
Here are several reasons why it is important to fill up a missing tooth:
- Shifting of tooth: When a tooth is lost, the surrounding teeth start drifting or moving in the open gap where the lost tooth used to be. The surrounding teeth are shifted out of the alignment. This affects the appearance of your face, and your teeth seem crooked and misplaced. It is necessary to replace a missing tooth with dentures in order to restrict the shifting before it is too late.
- TMJ Syndrome: After a tooth is lost and the surrounding teeth start shifting, the alignment is changed. This gives rise to problems with biting and creates issues with the jaws. The upper jaw and the lower jaw fail to meet correctly, and this causes strain and damage to the jaw joint. This phenomenon is called TMJ syndrome.
- Decay of tooth and gum diseases: After the shifting of surrounding teeth when a tooth is lost, the teeth alignment changes. This makes it difficult for a person to reach several areas in the gum with a toothbrush or floss. This makes plaque and bacteria accumulate in that area and they cannot be reached or cleaned. Tooth decay and gum diseases or periodontal diseases that are likely to affect those spots. These diseases and disorders cause further tooth loss.
- Alteration in facial appearance: A missing tooth should be replaced properly and a dentist must make sure that the root of the missing tooth is removed. In case the root is not removed totally, bone deterioration is likely to occur. Bone loss occurs in the jaw area, and this may result in a change or alteration in your facial appearance. A timely replacement of a missing tooth will prohibit bone loss from the jaw area, and you will be saved from any kind of alteration in your facial appearance, which might affect your looks and self-esteem greatly.
A missing tooth should never be ignored and in case you lose a tooth, you should see a dentist as soon as possible. By filling up a missing tooth, you will be able to save yourself from several issues related to the mouth and gums.