Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Deepa
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. DeepaYour feedback matters!
Hi, My friend did sex with her boyfriend last week. Her boyfriend inserted his penis once and did not ejaculate. Can she become pregnant with precum? Can she expect normal period? Please reply.
I am having 7 months baby. I had my last periods on march 3. On April 22 it is diagnosed that I am pregnant with 6 weeks 3 days. On 24th doctor gave one type of tablet from unwanted kit. And 26th doctor gave another 4 tablets. She told me to take two tablets after breakfast. And then after two hours two tablets. She told me get the scan report on may 10th. On may 7 I stopped bleeding. On may 8th we participated in sex. And again on next day it started bleeding with little cramps. So I missed the scan on may 10. Today on may 15th I had done the scan. It showed that some small pieces are left. Am scared on dnc. Is there any way to remove that small pieces with tablets? Pls help me. If there is no other option. For how many days I can postpone the dnc. Because we are having one function. Pls answer all my queries.
I have PCOS problem in my ovary. Periods occur in 38 days in every month. Feel severe left side stomach pain before 10 days of my period in every month. Trying to convince since 3 years but not getting result. What I will do.
Sir after taking 2 I pill my gf got period 3-4 days delayed. Now after 10 days of period she is getting white like discharge. What does it signify. What should I do to cure this?
Libido is a term that is used to describe the sexual desire for sexual activity. According to WHO, sexual health is a state of physical, mental and social well-being, which is why libido is one of the key factors to a sound and healthy life. As men have 40 times as much testosterone as women, they are thought to have a more intense sexual drive. Dopamine plays a strong role in libido and motivation. Physical issues like low testosterone, too much exercise, and alcohol can cause low libido. Psychological issues may include depression and stress in everyday life.
The good news is that libido can be increased through some simple measures, which are:
1. Have a positive outlook - Prolonged stress can diminish your interest in sex, and men and women have different reactions to stressful situations. Both partners need to discuss their stressful jobs each day and find a non-stressful time for sex. Besides, being self-confident and optimistic makes you feel more sexual and charming to your partner.
2. Following a proper balanced diet - Natural supplements can increase your blood flow and help fight vaginal dryness. You can try the much-touted libido-boosting foods, known as aphrodisiacs. Figs, bananas, avocados, eggs, chocolate, and mangoes can help to increase libido. Foods rich in vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B complex, and zinc may help to boost sperm count, improve sperm motility and increase testosterone production in men.
4. Take time to meditate and relieve stress - Being stressed out can affect your sex drive. To relieve stress you can indulge in sports activities and exercises. Lifting the weight or doing resistance training exercises like pushups help to break down and rebuild muscles, creating a spike in testosterone production. For many couples, working out together can become a stimulating experience that gets them in the mood. Exercises can increase performance, range of motion, endurance, boost confidence and help you look younger and more attractive. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
Lactation without pregnancy
Lactation in the absence of pregnancy is a rare medical condition that usually affects women but occurs in men and infants too. While this condition, caused due to several factors, is not something to worry about, it could indicate pituitary tumors and hormonal imbalances among others. This article has more information in this regard.
Lactation, defined as the secretion of milk from the mammary glands, is completely normal for a woman who is pregnant or just had a baby. This is because the oxytocin hormone that is produced after the birth of the baby, stimulates uterine contractions and provides an impetus for the lactation process to start.
What is galactorrhea?
In certain cases, you can have lactation or discharge from the breasts without being pregnant or breastfeed. This condition is known as galactorrhea. Associated with a milky white discharge from the breasts without nursing or pregnancy, galactorrhea is a sign of some underlying problem like a disorder of the pituitary gland or side effects of medications. It affects not only women but also men and infants in rare instances. Here are some of the common causes of lactation without pregnancy.
- Occurrence of galactorrhea: Certain medications like tranquilizers, drugs for high pressure, and antidepressants can result in lactation without pregnancy. Common medications associated with galactorrhea include agents to block dopamine and histamine receptors and dopamine-depleting agents. Birth control pills can also induce lactation. This is because the estrogen in these pills suppresses the hypothalamic secretion of the prolactin inhibitory factor and stimulates lactotrophs. In such cases, consult a doctor immediately.
- Pituitary tumors: The most common cause of galactorrhea is a tumor in the pituitary gland. Benign tumors like prolactinoma result in the production of prolactin. Too much prolactin in the blood causes the stimulation of milk by the mammary glands along with other symptoms like tenderness in the breasts, headache, decreased sexual activity, infertility and irregular menstruation. These non-cancerous tumors can affect men as well and result in decreased sexual drive, impotence and enlargement of the breast tissues.
- Hypothyroidism: It is a rare cause of galactorrhea but, primary hypothyroidism can lead to an increase in the production of the thyrotropin-releasing hormone. This leads to the release of excess prolactin and lactation. Hyperprolactinemia (excess of prolactin) can also cause a drop in the metabolic clearance of prolactin and a decrease in the secretion of dopamine.
- Chronic renal failure: In certain rare cases, people with chronic kidney disease have high levels of prolactin due to the inability of the kidneys to clear the prolactin. This can also lead to discharge from the nipples.
Certain neurogenic causes can also result in lactation without breastfeeding or pregnancy. Extensive and prolonged breast stimulation during sex or during breast examination can lead to galactorrhea. Other causes include injuries and damage to the chest, spinal cord injuries, and tumors. Certain herbs like fennel, fenugreek, and blessed thistle can also induce lactation.
Sometimes, when the cause of galactorrhea cannot be discerned, it is termed as idiopathic galactorrhea. While it is more common in women, even men can be affected with galactorrhea. Testosterone deficiency, also known as male hypogonadism, is one of the main reasons for this. Other than lactation, testosterone deficiency can also lead to erectile dysfunction and loss of sexual desire. In newborns, galactorrhea is caused by the circulation of high estrogen from the mother to the baby in the placenta. This causes an enlargement of breasts along with a milky discharge, which is often termed as witch's milk.
Diagnosis of galactorrhea
- A physical examination to check the nipple discharge and signs of thickened breast tissues or lumps are done.
- Mri, mammography, and blood tests can help in diagnosing the problem.
- A pregnancy test needs to be done for all post-pubertal women.
- It is important to note that galactorrhea is associated with milky white discharge. If the discharge from the breasts is bloody, then it is not associated with galactorrhea.
Treatment of galactorrhea
- For an underactive thyroid or tumors of the pituitary glands, appropriate medication and treatment need to be provided, based on the underlying cause.
- Pituitary tumors need to be treated with medicines like bromocriptine.
- In case medications fail to work, surgery and radiation therapy are used for treating the tumor.
- In case of idiopathic galactorrhea where the cause is unknown, prolactin-reducing medications like cabergoline can be prescribed to reduce the discharge.
- Once the cause of lactation is found and appropriate treatment is provided, it should stop completely. In case of mild idiopathic galactorrhea, well-fitted padded bras can keep the discharge from staining the clothes. Prevent unwanted lactation by frequent breast examinations and avoiding tight clothing that causes friction with the nipples.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and should not be used as a replacement for professional medical advice.