Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pulmonologists in India. You will find Pulmonologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pulmonologists online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Bornali Datta
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Asthma Management Program
Management of Smoking Cessation
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
Lower/Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Bornali DattaYour feedback matters!
My daughter six and half years is suffering from severe cough without phlegm since two years for every fifteen days it starts and prolong for five days. She is asked to do lungs scanning. Is it necessary, and any serious problem is there.
My 5-year-old daughter has asthma. What is the effect of using an asthma preventer long-term? I heard that using it for years might cause bone shrinkage. Is it true? Are there any vitamins or supplements to help vision?
Sir mujhe 5 dino se khasi ho rhi h Cough bhi aarha h mooh se Maine cough syrup bhi try kr lia magar ab tak koi asar ni hua. Kya reason h?
Vitiligo is a medical condition, which causes the loss of skin color due to loss of pigmentation. This usually occurs in blotches and looks very unsightly. Vitiligo is very unpredictable and can affect any part of your body. In some cases it also affects the inside of the mouth, eyes, and hair. Vitiligo is more noticeable on people with darker skin tone.
Symptoms of Vitiligo:
- Premature graying or whitening of the hair in your eyebrows, eyelashes, scalp, and beard. This usually occurs before the age of 35.
- Skin discoloration can also occur from other parts of the body such as hands, feet, abdomen, neck and other areas.
- Change or loss of the color of the retina (inner layer on the eyeball).
- Discolored patches on and around the navel, rectum and genitals.
What causes vitiligo?
A medical disorder where your immune system destroys and attacks the melanin forming pigments in your skin. This is known as an autoimmune disorder and by far is the most common cause behind vitiligo. An event such as sudden or prolonged stress, sunburn, or being exposed to industrial chemicals. A history of family members or relatives having vitiligo in the past.
Ayurvedic Treatments for Vitiligo:
- Duckweed: This is a type of water plant and is very rich in a mineral called lignin. It is considered a natural treatment for skin disorders and vitiligo. It will also help to restore your natural skin color.
- Sun screen: If you already have vitiligo, exposure in the sun can make it worse, so applying a sunscreen with SPF 30 or above (or an appropriate level of sunscreen protection) can protect your skin from further damage.
- Papaya: This fruit is great for restoring and reviving melanin (responsible for skin pigmentation). Drinking papaya juice or rubbing papaya on the affected area can reduce vitiligo to some extent.
- Clothing: Avoid tight clothing or clothing with elastic that restricts circulation as it might lead to a vitiligo patch. In addition, protect the skin from the sun and artificial sources of UV light with protective clothing or a broad-spectrum sunscreen. Watch skin reactions to plastic, rubber and even leather as these can cause vitiligo in some people.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Vitiligo emphasizes on treating the root cause. The root cause of Vitiligo is gradually treated with herbal formulations to restore pigmentation over the white patch area and to establish the lost immunity by correcting the body metabolism. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Pulmonary function tests (PFT’s) are breathing
tests to find out how well you move air in and
out of your lungs
Lung function tests can be used to:
■ Compare your lung function with known
standards that show how well your lungs should
■ Measure the effect of chronic diseases like
asthma, chronic obstructive lung disease
(COPD), or cystic fibrosis on lung function.
■ Identify early changes in lung function that
might show a need for a change in treatment.
■ Detect narrowing in the airways.
■ Decide if a medicine (such as a bronchodilator)
could be helpful to use.
■ Show whether exposure to substances in your
home or workplace have harmed your lungs.
■ Determine your ability to tolerate surgery and
What is spirometry?
Spirometry is one of the most commonly ordered
lung function tests. The spirometer measures
how much air you can breathe into your lungs
and how much air you can quickly blow out of
your lungs. This test is done by having you take
in a deep breath and then, as fast as you can,
blow out all of the air. You will be blowing into a
tube connected to a machine (spirometer).
The spirometry test is often repeated after
giving you a breathing medicine (bronchodilator)
to find out how much better you might breathe
with this type of medicine. You will be asked
to repeat this test two or three times to get an
accurate measure of your lung function. It can
take practice to be able to do spirometry well.
The staff person will work with you to learn how
to do the test correctly.
It usually takes 30 minutes to complete this test
What should I know before taking
■ You may be asked not to take your breathing
medicines before this test.
■ Instructions will be given on how to do this
test. If you do not understand them, ask the
technician to repeat them.
■ It takes effort to do this test and you may
become tired. This is expected.
■ If you become light-headed or dizzy during
this test, immediately stop blowing and let the
Sir I was suffering from cough and cold and tingling and sting and spasm in my body. I got recovered bt when I masturbate I got the same problem bt little less in compare to previous problem. Sir get itchy eye and red eye and some what itchy sensation in my body and some what tingling again. Bt now it is very less than before. Sir guide me what I am suffering from. I have sometime itchy tongue also. And sneezing and normal cold. normal cold is from 1 month.
Sinusitis refers to an extremely painful condition caused due to the inflammation and swelling of sinuses. A host of causes contribute to sinusitis, chief among them being allergies, air pollution or sometimes infection. It causes extreme discomfort, throbbing headache, sore throat and a blocked nose. Though different branches of medicines have tried in their own ways of dealing with this problem, ayurveda with its reliance on natural products as remedial measures have emerged as a clear favorite.
Some of the ayurvedic remedies for sinusitis are:
- Inhalation of steam with tulsi: The benefits of tulsi are widespread and need little introduction. The ambit of its advantages is expansive, making its presence felt even in treating sinusitis. In case of severe bouts of sinusitis, it is highly recommended that you inhale steam with tulsi almost every day in the week.
- Have ginger along with honey: Another way of treating acute pangs of sinusitis is by making a paste of ginger and honey. Make small tablets of this mixture and for most effective results it is advisable that you have it every day.
- Avoid certain food: Just how incorporating certain food in the diet help in reducing the pain of sinusitis, eliminating few, often times help you to achieve the same purpose. When you suffer from sinusitis, it is only advisable that you diligently avoid dairy products like milk, yoghurt as well as intoxicants like cigarettes and alcohol.
- Lemon juice and water: In the initial stages of sinusitis, having a daily concoction of lemon juice and water is considered very beneficial. During this phase maintaining a light diet is advisable.
- Practice pranayama: The gamut of ayurvedic remedies includes not only the prescription of what to eat and what to avoid but also several exercises that help in expediting the process of recovery. Among them, pranayama with its focus on control and regulation of breath is particularly beneficial in curing sinusitis.
Kindly take any ayurvedic medicine under supervision of an experienced ayurvedic doctor.
I am sports person I do daily exercise running and all but from last three months I have a pain in cough to much pain I can not walk properly I am giving tablet for that.
I am 20 year teen I suffer from suffocation at times n even breathlessness is quite often! Is it just coz of scarcity of oxygen in surrounding or I need to some medication? I even b tried very soon! Suggest me same ways to get over this.
It is an episodic chronic respiratory disorder in which there is airflow obstruction causing difficulty in breathing. It is a very common disorder affecting children more than adults For some, the condition is mild with infrequent episodes & for others it is a serious medical emergency-An episode may pass away quickly and may be short lasting or at times lasts longer & requires immediate medical help.
Causes behind it
Hereditary & familial tendency or history of allergy, which may be skin allergy also predisposes to asthma in the offsprings. Allergy mostly inhaled is the most common cause of asthma.
Allergens can be:
- Environment - smoke, dust & pollution and petrol fumes.
- Pollen and molds from grass, flowers and trees.
- Strong perfumes
- Paints & varnishes
- Tobacco smoke
- House dust mite
- Chemical fumes
- Food, which can cause allergy are:
- Sour food
- Citrus fruits
- Cold food & drinks
- Artificially colored & flavored foods
- Beer, wine
- Canned vegetables
- Infection of the lung, which can be bacterial, viral predisposes to asthma.
- Emotional stress is a known trigger factor for an asthmatic attack.
- Over strenuous exercise and inhalation of cold air and climatic changes are also trigger factors.
- Initially there is a feeling of restlessness with a painless, tightness in the chest.
- There may be cough, sometimes with phlegm and a wheezing or whistling sound when breathing.
- Mild to moderate shortness of breath and shortness and rapid breathing follow with a feeling of anxiety, sweating & inability to lie down on the back.
- Usually the sufferer finds comfort in sitting bent forwards and near the windows.
- For infants born in vegetarian family, vegetarian food is preferred.
- Avoid food and drinks known to cause allergy - cow milk, vinegar, lemon juice, grapes, instant tea, corn syrup, fruit toppings, cold food and drinks, canned food, food additives, beer and wine.
- Eat balanced nutritious diet.
- Eat fresh unprocessed food.
- Consume Bitter gourd (Karela) cooked or juice, it strengthens the immunity.
- Every morning, drink boiled mixture of – ½ cup water, little ginger, 2-3 leaves of sweet basil (tulsi) and mint leaves, or you can eat the raw leaves, this will boost up you immunity.
- Boil a mixture of Bishops weed (Ajwain), tea leaves and water and inhale the steam, helps to decongest.
- Consume garlic and onions, will be beneficial, but avoid them if you are on homeopathic medicine.
- Consume lots of Vitamin B complex.
- Liver, kidney, pancreas, yeast (Brewer's yeast), lean meat especially pork, fish, dairy products, poultry, egg, shrimps, crabs and lobsters,.
- Milk and milk products, green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts, whole grain cereals.
- Carrots, bananas, avocado, raspberries, artichoke, cauliflower, soy flour, barley, cereals, pasta, whole grains, wheat barn like rice and wheat germ, dried beans, peas and soybeans.
- Increase intake of magnesium in your diet.
- Sea food, nuts, green leafy vegetables.
- Peas, lotus stem, pulses, whole grains, fruits.
Do's & Don'ts
- Try to recognize the trigger factors that bring on your attack, so that you can avoid them In families with history of allergy (asthma, eczema), avoid artificial milk, eggs, cocoa, juices & wheat preparations till completion of 6 months. In such circumstances you can only breast feed till 6 months.
- Do breastfeed your baby for the first 6 months to strengthen the immune system and avoid contact with allergens such as in cow's milk .
- Avoid foods & drinks that are known to cause a problem such as vinegar, lemon juice, grapes, instant tea, corn syrup, fruit toppings, cold food & drink, canned vegetables, beer and wine Avoid smoke, pollution, dust as far as possible.
- There are three steps to be taken when dealing with an allergy.
- Firstly, identify the cause or allergen
- Secondly, avoid it.
- Thirdly, if avoidance is impossible, treat the symptoms.
- Keep a diary and try to trace a pattern or relation between your allergic reaction and the allergen. E.g. Sneezing while doing housework could mean you are allergic to house dust.
- Take steps to deal with stress, anxiety and tension as these can influence the frequency and severity of symptoms
- Good nutrition, balanced diet, adequate rest and relaxation will be beneficial.
- Yoga can help you by breathing exercises. Breathing exercise will help better utilization of available lung space.
Homoeopathy at your rescue
Homoeopathy helps to get rid of inhalers & nebulisation quickly & permanently. Homeopathy not only deals with disease it deals with patient as a whole.
- Avoid smoke, pollution, and dust as far as possible.
- Try to reduce stress, anxiety and tension, practice yoga will help to relax and relive stress.
- Yoga will also help by breathing exercise. Breathing exercise will help better utilization of available lung space. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopath.