Doctor in DR Jaideep Diagnostic Centre
Diagnostic X- Ray
Bone Densitometry Procedure
Uterine Artery Embolization
Interventional Diagnostic Procedures
Angiography Radial Approach
Submit a review for DR Jaideep Diagnostic CentreYour feedback matters!
Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) is also known as Uterine Artery Embolization (UAE). It is a minimally invasive treatment method for the fibroid tumors or myomas of the uterus. Fibroid tumors are benign in nature, arising from muscular wall of the uterus, and rarely turn cancerous. Generally, they cause pressure on bowel or bladder, heavy menstrual bleeding, and pelvic region pain.
In the UFE, X-ray camera called fluoroscope is used to guide to uterus and fibroids. The delivery of small particles which are injected through a flexible thin catheter blocks the arteries providing blood flow causing fibroids to shrink.
The procedure is used to prevent pelvic bleeding caused by malignant gynecological tumors, trauma, or hemorrhage after childbirth.
A thorough evaluation of the patient includes a detailed study of medical history, physical examination, menstrual history, and discussion of fertility goals.
MRI or ultrasound of the uterus is performed to assess size, location, and number of the fibroids. A biopsy of the endometric lining of the uterus might also be performed to rule out the possibility of cancer.
X-ray equipment, catheter, medications, and synthetic materials called embolic agents are used in this procedure.
Positioning the patient on the examining table.
Tracking heart rate, pulse, and blood pressure during the procedure.
Inserting an intravenous (IV) line into a vein in hand or arm for sedative medication, fluids, antibiotics, and pain medications.
The area of body where catheter is to be inserted is sterilized and then covered with a surgical drape.
Numbing the area with a local anesthetic.
Small incision is made at the site.
A contrast material provides a roadmap for catheter to maneuver into uterine arteries.
Releasing the embolic agent into both left and right uterine arteries by repositioning the catheter.
At the end of the procedure, the catheter is removed and pressure is applied to prevent bleeding.
The opening in the skin is then dressed without any suture followed by the removal of an intravenous line.
Some of the benefits of this procedure are:
Uterine Fibroid Embolization performed under local anesthesia is less invasive than any other available method.
No surgical incision is needed except for a small nick which does not require any suture.
Patients can resume their usual activities much earlier.
There is virtually no blood loss.
There is significant improvement and symptom relief in the condition of patients in most cases.
Generally, this procedure does not allow fibroids to grow as almost every small or large nodule is treated. Thus, it is a more permanent procedure.
Most patients are discharged on the same day and are given oral pain medications post the procedure. A watery, mucus-like vaginal discharge might be observed within a few days. In some cases, remnants of fibroids are also seen. If there is an infection, it is indicated by fever, chills, and pain and should be immediately reported to the doctor.
Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) is a minimally invasive treatment method for fibroid tumors of the uterus. It does not allow the regrowth of fibroids and is hassle-free. However, it is always advisable to consult a doctor before opting for this method.
While you cannot cure breast diseases, family history and maturing, but there are some hazards or risks that you can control. Keeping in mind the fact that there is no certain approach to forestall breast cancer, there are things you can do that may bring down the hazard. Here are five approaches to ensure your breast's well-being:
- Watch your weight: Being overweight or hefty expands breast cancer chances. This is particularly true after menopause and for women who have put on weight as grown-ups. After menopause, the vast majority of your estrogen originates from fat tissue. Having more fat tissue can heighten your chances of getting breast cancer by raising the estrogen levels. Additionally, women who are overweight have a tendency to have more elevated amounts of insulin, than other hormones. Higher insulin levels have been associated with a few tumors, including breast cancer.
- Exercise routinely: Many reviews have found that exercise is the sign of having a healthy breast. Studies show that one to two hours of energetic walking each week, lessened a woman’s cancer risk by eighteen percent. Walking ten hours seven days decreased the hazard all the more.
- Constrain liquor: Women who have two to five mixed beverages every day have a higher danger of breast cancer than women who have just one drink a day or none . As much as three to six glasses of wine seven days have been found to somewhat increase breast cancer chances. It is not clear how or why liquor raises the hazard. In any case, constraining liquor is particularly essential for women who have other hazard variables for breast cancer, like, breast cancer running in their families.
- Restrain time spent sitting: Research has shown that sitting time, regardless of how much exercise you get when you are not sitting, increases the probability of growing cancer, particularly for women. Women who sit six hours or more a day outside of work have a ten percent more serious risk for breast cancer compared to the ladies who sit under three hours a day, and an increased hazard for other cancer types as well.
- Stay away from or confine hormone substitution treatment: Hormone Replacement Treatment (HRT) was utilized frequently in the past to control night sweats, hot flashes, and other troublesome manifestations of menopause. In any case, specialists now realize that postmenopausal ladies who take a blend of estrogen and progestin might probably create breast tumors or cancer. Breast cancer disease seems to come back within five years in the wake of ceasing the blend of hormones. Therefore, get a breast cancer test even if you feel a small lump.
Medical science constantly challenges the boundaries by finding not only the cures to the most dangerous diseases but finds a way to prevent them even before they occur. With years of research, practice and data available for analysis, scientists are using advanced technology in combination with years of research to create a predicting mechanism for often fatal diseases like cancer.
Breast cancer screening has always been done with mammography. The fact is that this method is only 75% accurate, laden with false positives and misses a whole set of women totally- and that too when cancer has already developed. Part of the problem comes from the dense breast tissue which one in three women have. This tissue masks the lumps, which makes it difficult for mammograms to accurately screen cancer.
Some breakthrough scientific methods are changing this by drawing on years of research to predict this deadly disease, years before it can manifest itself.
A genetic test to predict cancer 10-11 years ahead of time
This test was performed to see how environmental factors could influence cancer, along with habits like smoking, abusing alcohol or hormones, genetic changes that occur and are put a large percentage of the women at high risk of developing this disease.
A simple blood test is used for the genetic analysis of hereditary cancer. Researchers found a biological marker, methylation of the ATM gene, which has a very high ability to predict the risk of developing cancer, several years before diagnosis. 'Methylation' concluded that when one biological indicator is exposed to carcinogenic substances or other abusive substances like tobacco and alcohol, it may trigger the development of cancer. On the flip side, this test will take time to reach the commercial market and even then cannot give an exact timeline as to when someone may develop the disease.
A simple blood test to predict breast cancer 5 years before it develops
This is the kind of medical miracle the world is looking for. Last year in April, researches in Denmark identified a simple blood test that can predict breast cancer five years before it actually develops with an accuracy of a whopping 80%.
It works by "measuring all of the compounds in the blood to build a 'metabolic profile' of an individual, in order to detect changes in the way chemicals are processed, during a pre-cancerous stage," says Laura Donnelly, health editor at The Telegraph, which covered this development. Danish researchers observed 57,000 participants over 20 years, gathering blood samples along the way, specifically comparing a set of 800 women who remained healthy or developed breast cancer within 7 years of their first blood sample. The researchers found they were able to predict, with 80 percent accuracy, which patients would be affected by the disease, just by looking at the metabolic profiles they built from the participants' blood samples. The results have been published in Metabolomics.
Slip disk is a condition of the spinal column which consists of a stack of vertebras from the cervical, thoracic and the lumbar spine. The bones of the spine are cushioned by disks that are present to absorb shocks. Trauma to the spine may cause the disk to bulge or be ruptured. This may lead to pain in the neck and the back.
Causes of slip disk
Slip disk is caused when the jelly-like substance present in the disks bulges out. The damaged disk thus puts pressure on the adjacent nerve causing excruciating pain. The various causes of a slipped disk are:
1. Incorrect form during exercise
If you are into weight lifting, it is important that you use proper form during exercising. Moves like barbell squat and deadlifts can put pressure on the spine and lead to disk problems, if not done correctly. Make sure you work on your core strength and keep your lower back straight while exercising.
Smoking causes the disks to lose their flexibility and thus, increases the risk of a slipped disk.
Ageing decreases the content of water in the spine, thus leading to inflexibility.
The symptoms of slip disk are:
1. Pain on one side of the body that tends to aggravate over time
2. Activities such as sitting and coughing may lead to pressure on the spine causing pain
3. Your range of motion on certain movements may be restricted
4. Pain in the neck while moving it
5. Numbness in the shoulder and the neck region
6. You may experience tingling sensations in the genitals, hips and the legs
7. You may have muscles spasms which lead to sudden contraction of the muscles
8. It may also lead to partial paralysis of the lower body
1. If you are overweight, try to reduce weight and then focus on maintaining healthy weight levels
2. Maintain proper posture while sitting or standing
3. Exercise on a regular basis to build strength and keep your joints healthy
4. Don't remain in a seated position for an extended period of time. Take small breaks in between to stretch.
What is a hysterectomy? This is a surgery that is used to remove the ovaries or even the uterus. This surgery is usually conducted in order to deal with the extreme conditions that may be caused by the severe onset of various conditions related to the reproductive system of women.
Read on to find out why this surgery carried out and what are the after effects?
Causes: This surgery can be carried out for a variety of reasons. One of the main reason is the manifestation of uterine fibroids that can cause severe pain and bleeding. These fibroids will have to be removed surgically and in case they have spread, the uterus will have to be removed entirely. Also, if the condition has spread to the ovaries, it may be imperative to remove the ovaries as well. Furthermore, if the patient is suffering from endometriosis, where the tissue has spread too much and cannot be contained merely by medication or other forms of treatment, then the doctor will have to conduct a hysterectomy surgery in order to remove the affected areas of the reproductive area. Also, other conditions for which this surgery may be required include adenomyosis, chronic pain in the pelvic area, cancer of the uterus, cervical cancer and uterine prolapse.
Procedure: A hysterectomy is performed under anesthesia, and the doctor makes a five to seven inch incision in the abdomen for an open surgery. The doctor will then continue to remove the uterus through this incision. Also, usually, the patient will have to spend about three to four days in the hospital following this surgery. A vaginal hysterectomy may also be conducted for certain cases, depending on the type and severity of the condition that has led to this form of treatment. For this kind of surgery, the incisions will be made in the vaginal area.
After effects: Starting from hormonal imbalances to early menopause, this surgery can leave significant after effects in its trail. The patients who have been through this surgery will be asked to abstain from heavy physical work that involves lifting heavy objects and bending. Also, the doctor will recommend abstinence from sex. One will have to avoid these things for a period of at least six weeks after the surgery. In many cases, the patient may also go through heavy menstrual bleeding.
Doctor visits: In case the bleeding and hot flashes are excessive, then the patient will have to see a doctor and take further appointments so that the condition may not reoccur. Also, the doctor will usually prescribe supplements like vitamins, which must be taken on a regular basis after the surgery to avoid any complications at a later date.
I am 25 years old male. Had a discectomy last week. The pain persisted so the surgeon suggests a fusion surgery. I am in auckland. Need a consultation so that I could take future course of action if I need/can travel to India and get the surgery done or any other options such as re-surgery. I can provide all the scans and reports.
We have more than 200 bones in our body and each of them is susceptible to bone cancer. However, long bones in the arms and legs are most susceptible to this condition. Bone cancer can be primary or secondary. Primary bone cancer involves uncontrolled and abnormal cell division within the bones while secondary bone cancer refers to cancer that originated somewhere else in the body and later spread to the bones. While children and adults are equally at risk for primary bone cancer, adults and elderly people are more susceptible to secondary bone cancer. If diagnosed early enough, bone cancer can be treated and even cured with surgery, chemotherapy or radiation.
Hence it is essential to recognize the signs and symptoms of bone cancer. Here’s what you should look out for.
- Pain in Bones: Pain is one the primary symptoms of bone cancer. As the tumour grows larger, this pain can become more intense. In its early stages, the pain may be experienced as a dull ache inside the bone or the affected part of the body. It may also increase or decrease according to your activity level or may be experienced only at night. However, not all bone pains signify ‘cancer’ as this is also a symptom associated with osteoporosis.
- Swelling: In some cases, the abnormal growth of bone cells can result in the formation of a lump of mass that may be felt through the skin. In other cases, the affected area may also show signs of swelling.
- Breaking of the Bone: Cancer can weaken the bones and make them more brittle. This may make the bones more susceptible to fractures. A bone breaking in an area that has been painful or sore for a long period of time may be a sign of cancer. This is known as a pathologic fracture.
- Reduced Flexibility: If the tumour is located near a joint, it may affect the range of movements possible and make simple actions uncomfortable. For example, a tumour around the knee may make walking and climbing stairs a painful exercise.
Other symptoms to look out for are sudden and drastic weight loss, tiredness, excessive sweating at night, fever and difficulty breathing in case cancer has spread to other organs. Since many of these symptoms are common to other medical disorders, you should conduct a doctor immediately if you notice any of them. A physical examination and a couple of tests along with a biopsy will be required to confirm a diagnosis of bone cancer.
I am Diagnosed with l5s1 disc bulge in mri. Don't want to undergo operation. Is there any other means to cure this. What all precautions a patient suffering from this should follow?
स्लिप डिस्क हमारे शरीर में रीढ़ की हड्डियों को सहारा देने वाली छोटी-छोटी गद्देदार डिस्क होती हैं. इनका काम रीढ़ की हड्डी में मौजूद हड्डियों (कशेरुका) को सहारा देने के के साथ ही उन हड्डियों को झटकों से बचाने और उसे लचीला रखने का भी होता है. परंतु जब किसी कारणवश एक डिस्क क्षतिग्रस्त हो जाती है तो यह सूज या टूट कर खुल सकती है जिसे स्लिप डिस्क कहते हैं. स्लिप डिस्क का मतलब यह नहीं होता है कि डिस्क स्थान से खिसक जाती है इसका मतलब है कि डिस्क अपनी सामान्य सीमाओं से आगे बढ़ जाती है या सूज जाती है या फिर डिस्क की बाहरी दीवार छिज्ज जाती है जिससे उसमें मौजूद फ्लूइड (न्यूक्लियस पल्पोसस) का लीकेज स्पाइन या नज़दीकी नर्व पर हो जाता है. स्लिप डिस्क के कारण एक हाथ या पैर में कमज़ोरी हो सकती है. आइए इस लेख के माध्यम से हम स्लिप डिस्क के इलाज पर एक नजर डालें ताकि इस विषय में लोगों में जागरूकता बढ़ाई जा सके.
स्लिप डिस्क के स्टेज
स्लिप डिस्क के चार मुख्य स्टेज हैं –
1. पहला स्टेज: उम्र बढ़ने के साथ, डिस्क का डिहाइड्रेशन शुरू हो जाता है जिससे उसका लचीलापन कम होने लग जाती है और वह कमज़ोर हो जाती है.
2. दूसरा स्टेज: डिस्क की फाइबर लेयर में दरार आने लगती है जिससे उसके अंदर का फ्लूइड बाहर आने लगता है या उससे बबल्स बनने लगता है.
3. तीसरा स्टेज: इस स्टेज में न्यूक्लिअस का एक हिस्सा टूट जाता है लेकिन फिर भी वह डिस्क के अंदर ही रहता है.
4. चौथा स्टेज: अंत में, डिस्क के अंदर का फ्लूइड (न्यूक्लियस पल्पोसस) हार्ड बाहरी लेयर से बाहर आने लगता है और स्पाइन में उसका लीकेज होने लगता है.
स्लिप डिस्क के लक्षण
स्लिप डिस्क स्पाइन के किसी भी हिस्से में हो सकती है (गर्दन से लेकर पीठ के निचले हिस्से तक), लेकिन यह सबसे सामान्य पीठ के निचले हिस्से में है. स्पाइन, नर्व और ब्लड वेसल्स का एक जटिल जाल-तंत्र होता है. स्लिप डिस्क नर्व और मसल्स पर और इनके आस-पास असामान्य रूप से प्रेशर डालती है. स्लिप डिस्क के निम्नलिखित लक्षण हो सकते हैं -
1. शरीर के एक साइड दर्द होना.
2. हाथ या पैरों तक दर्द का फैलना.
3. रात के दौरान दर्द बढ़ जाना या कुछ एक्टिविटी में असहनीय दर्द होना.
4. खड़े होने या बैठने के बाद दर्द का बढ़ना.
5. थोड़ी दूरी पर चलते समय दर्द होना.
6. मांसपेशियों की कमज़ोरी.
7. प्रभावित क्षेत्र में झुनझुनी, दर्द या जलन.
1. स्लिप डिस्क का ट्रीटमेंट आपकी सहजता और अनुभव के स्तर पर निर्भर करता है. ज्यादातर लोग डॉक्टर द्वारा बताए गए ऐसे एक्सरसाइज कर के स्लिप डिस्क के दर्द को सुधार सकते हैं जो पीठ और आस-पास की मसल्स को मज़बूत बनाते हैं.
2. केमिस्ट के पास मिलने वाली पेन किलर टैबलेट के इस्तेमाल और भारी चीज़ें न उठाने से स्लिप डिस्क के दर्द में राहत मिल सकती है.
3. यदि पेन किलर टैबलेट आपके लक्षणों पर असर नहीं करती हैं तो आपके डॉक्टर आपको अन्य दवाएं लेने के लिए भी सलाह दे सकते हैं, जैसे- मसल्स को राहत देने के लिए मेडिसीन; दर्द को दूर करने के लिए मादक द्रव; गाबापेंटीन या ड्युलोकसेटाईन जैसी तंत्रिका के लिए दवाएं.
दर्द के लिए दवाएं.-
अगर आपके लक्षण 6 सप्ताह में नहीं सुधरते या आपकी मांसपेशियों की गतिविधियों पर स्लिप डिस्क का प्रभाव पड़ता है तो आपके डॉक्टर आपको सर्जरी का उपाय भी दे सकते हैं. आपका सर्जन पूरे डिस्क को हटाए बिना केवल डिस्क के क्षतिग्रस्त भाग को निकाल सकता है. इसे माइक्रोडिसकेक्टमी कहा जाता है. अधिक गंभीर मामलों में, आपका डॉक्टर एक आपकी पहले वाली डिस्क को बदल कर एक कृत्रिम डिस्क लगा सकते हैं या डिस्क को निकालकर कशेरुकाओं को एक साथ मिला सकते हैं
With the recent number of breast cancer cases on the rise, it is important that we should get the examination done on a regular basis as a preventive measure. Even if someone is suffering from it, it is important that we should make an effort and learn about.
If you have breast cancer then a surgery will be part of your treatment. Based on the condition, surgery will be carried out due to any of the following reasons:
1. To remove the cancerous tissues from the breast
2. To reconstruct the breast once the cancer is removed
3. To check whether the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes below the arm
4. To treat symptoms of cancer that has progressed to an advanced stage
Breast cancer surgery may be classified into two types:
1. Mastectomy: Mastectomy involves removing the entire breast; tissues in the adjoining region may also be removed. A double mastectomy is a procedure where both the breasts are removed.
2. Breast-conserving surgery: In this surgery, only parts of the breast affected by cancer are removed. The area of the breast that is to be removed will depend on the severity of the cancer. Some healthy tissues may also be removed in this surgery.
Usually, if a woman is in the initial stages of cancer then she may opt for the latter as it entails removing parts of the breast. They may also undergo radiation therapy along with these surgeries.
For checking if the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes below the arm, the lymph nodes are removed from the body. Once they are removed, they are studied under a microscope to check if it has spread, if yes then the extent of their damage. This procedure is carried out along with the surgery to remove the cancer.
Once the mastectomy procedure is completed, you can opt for a breast reconstruction surgery to rebuild the area. You may opt for this procedure at the time of breast cancer removal or at a later stage. If you are considering breast reconstruction surgery then you should discuss it with your surgeon.
Surgery is sometimes not used to treat cancer, but in slowing the progression of cancer or even reducing its symptoms.It is important you talk to your surgeon before the procedure to understand the goal of the surgery.