Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Lalit Kasana
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Weight Management Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Corn Removal Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Lalit KasanaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Very good dr ever seen in my life thanku doctor
Eczema is an autoimmune disorder wherein the skin overreacts to certain triggers in or outside the body resulting in inflammation and lesions. Eczema is also known as atopic dermatitis. The skin becomes dry, patchy and rough, and it tends to form itchy and red blisters. Eczema is usually caused due to inflammation; in most cases, allergy triggers eczema. It has been observed that quite often, patients who suffer from eczema have a family history of allergy. In some cases, patients having other allergies, may also develop eczema. Apart from this, low immunity triggers this disease.
- Red patches over skin
- Dry rough skin with blisters
- Intense itching on skin, with occasional bleeding
- Formation of a thick leather-like layer over the affected areas of the skin
- Discharge of an oozing watery and sticky liquid from the affected area, in case of wet eczema (In case of dry eczema, there is no watery discharge; the skin stays rough and dry.)
Treating eczema with homeopathy
Treating eczema might be possible by taking several medications. But treating doesn't mean curing. People who suffer from eczema know how irritating the disorder is. So they want a cure for eczema, which is possible with homeopathic medicines. Homeopathy is known for curing eczema, from the root. Basically, homeopathy helps to improve the immune system, as low immunity is responsible for causing allergies. When immunity is built, and low immunity quits from overreacting to several reactions, eczema is cured.
Here are five homeopathic medicines suitable for treating eczema:
- Graphites: Graphites is one of the finest homeopathic medicines for treating wet eczema, when there is thick, oozing watery and sticky discharge. In most cases, the patient with this type of eczema suffers from constipation and obesity. He or she might be sensitive towards cold. Their usual skin becomes hard and cold, but the affected area remains dry and rough. The remedy is prescribed mostly to women with menstrual disorders.
- Mezereum: This is the suitable for patients with eczema, which tends to form a leathery crust on the head. The patient might feel intense itching especially at night.
- Hepar sulphur: This is suitable for eczema with formation of pus. The patient is usually too sensitive to cold. Intense itching, sneezing and sensitivity towards cold are the symptoms, which indicate the need for this medicine.
- Dulcamara: This is one of the finest homeopathic medicines for eczema, which aggravates in damp or cold weather. Thick formation of yellowish crust and intense itching are the symptoms, which clearly indicate the need for this remedy.
- Sulphur: This one is suitable for eczema with burning sensation along with intense itching. Symptoms usually worsen in summer and the skin feels rough and dry.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Are you looking for an effective remedy for the removal of kidney stones? Kidney stones or renal calculi are solid concretions or crystal aggregations of the minerals dissolved in urine. These commonly form inside the kidneys or the gallbladder. Kidney stone is a very common disease associated with the urinary tract and occurs more in men than in women. Homeopathy is the most natural mode of treatment for kidney stones and it cures the underlying cause of the problem.
Homeopathic medicines for kidney stone are dual action remedies which are natural and safe. First, they help remove the stones present in the urinary tract either by crushing them into fine sand-like particles or in a few cases, in the intact state. Secondly, they hold the promise of completing removing the tendency towards stone formation in the future. While selecting the appropriate Homeopathic medicine for kidney stone, the side affected is considered along with the pain and associated symptoms. The colour of sand particles in urine helps to further refine the search. Although kidney stones can be safely handled with properly selected Homeopathic medicines, care should be taken when the size of the stone is very large and it gets impacted in the ureter leading to hydronephrosis that calls for surgical intervention to prevent kidney damage.
Here is a list of the most effective homeopathic medicines for treating kidney stones:
Argentum nit: This medicine is used when a patient experiences nephralgia due to kidney congestion or from the passage of calculi. Dull aching is experienced at the back of the bladder and the urine is dark, containing blood and deposits of renal epithelium and uric acid. Urine passes little at a time, usually in drops. The patient’s face becomes dark and dry. The urine burns during passage and the urethra feels like it is swollen.
Belladonna: It is used when the kidney stones are accompanied by sharp and shooting pains. Sudden cramps and strains along the ureter during the passing of urine are likely. The patient may feel feverish and excited. Irritation, clutching and cramps are likely to occur as well.
Benzoic acid: This homeopathic medicine is used in case of nephritic colic with offensive urine. The urine is deep red in color and has a strong odor. It may smell cadaverous and putrid. The urine is thick and water like clear in an alternative way. The patient usually feels better when the urine is thick and profuse.
Berberis: This is another effective homeopathic medicine for kidney stones. It is used when there is shooting pain radiating from a point. The patient may be unable to move or even sit on his painful side. The pain may run up to the kidneys or down to the bladder as well. Little calculi with pin heads may develop in the pelvis. Berberis is efficient in giving relief to such pain. The patient may also experience burning and soreness in the kidney along with severe distress. The urine is dark and turbid in nature with copious sediment and urine flow becomes slow. There is an increased urge for urination.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
When a new baby is born, he or she has soft, fine and downy hair called lanugo that disappears shortly after the birth. Normally hair on the scalp and other parts of body becomes thicker and coarser. In middle age, hair growth can be seen on the ears of men and women develop the same on face at the time of menopause. This is due to change in endocrine pattern.
Stages of Hair Growth:
- ANAGEN HAIR (Period of Active Growth): The stage when the growing is in process, the hair is called 'Anagen' hair. Anagen hair keeps on growing from two to five years. In Anagen hair, the cells of follicle grow, divide and are keratinized in order to make hair grow. Having keratin means that the base of the hair shaft is moist and soft and the rest of hair shaft above hair bulb is dark pigmented.
- CATAGEN HAIR (Period of Transition or Breakdown and Change): When the hair is under transition stage, which is from root to end, the hair is called 'catagen' hair. Catagen hair, begin transitional, live for about 7 to 15 days. During this transition phase, the growth activity of the hair stops. Growth of hair is not a continuous affair as some people think. Hair growing takes a resting phase during which no growth takes place and the roots of the resting hair become club-shaped. It is this condition that is called club hairs.
- TELOGEN HAIR (Resting Stage before Resumption Of Growth): Catagen hair live for some time and when they are in the state of rest without any change, they are called 'Telogen' hair. Telogen hair are also called club hair. They are in the state of rest for three to four months before they grow or are pushed from follicle due to growth of another hair or due to some harsh combing/ brushing or hard massaging/continuous drying of hair by hot hair-blower or in fight etc.
Factors that Influence the Hair Growth Age:
Growth of hair is fastest from the age of fifteen to late twenties. The hair grows faster and the rate of growth slows down when he hair have grown to its maximum. There is no limit to maximum but some doctors are of the opinion that this limit is three feel and when the hair are over three feet long, the growth rate drops to half the former growth rate.
- Nervous and circulatory system: The hair is affected by the state of the nervous system and circulatory system. This means that hair have a direct relation with functioning of the entire human organism, mind, sentiments, emotions and the body. Any such stimulation in the body by grief, emotions, etc. makes impact over the opulence of the nerve and blood supply to the head. If grief or emotions continue for some days, it affects the growth of hair.
- Chemicals & Drugs: Chemical and drug reactions also affect the growth of hair. The coloring of hair and dyeing of hair are virtually exposure to chemical reactions and many persons who dye or color their hair have retarded hair growth or encounter falling of hair.
- Heredity: The heredity/genes actually determine the hair density, growth and color of hair.
- Hormones: Hormonal change is one of the reasons for growth of hair. Your Hair ? An Index to your Health. Our hair is not just 'dead' protein it is a pointer to what is happening deep inside our body and mind. Hair has more to it than what appears on the surface. It says a lot more about us than what the stars foretell. The health of our hair and scalp provides us with insightful cues about a host of 'latent' health disorders. In addition, our hair, like our psyche, responds to both physical and emotional stressors, including underlying health deviations, much before apparent clinical symptoms manifest.
DRY, LIMP, THIN HAIR:
This may be a 'cursor' for hypothyroidism. In some cases, the 'tell-tale' sign is hair loss on the eyebrows, especially in the outer third of the eyebrow.
SCALY OR CRUSTY PATCHES ON THE SCALP:
This indicates psoriasis, a common skin disorder. It occurs when the skin for a toss, sending out flawed signals that accelerate the turnover and growth of skin cells. The detection of psoriasis can help us prevent and treat more serious condition- especially psoriatic arthritis, or painful swelling of the joints with scaly psoriatic distress.
It's customary to shed about 50-100 hairs a day. But, when hair appears to be coming out in 'clumps' it's time for action. A job loss can cause such hair loss. Likewise, about of flu or fever, illnesses like jaundice, typhoid and malaria can cause hair loss. Most importantly, diabetes and hypertension can also cause such hair loss, much before they may be clinically diagnosed.
DRY, BRITTLE HAIR BREAKS EASILY:
This kind of hair loss can be a sign of autoimmune disorders, early onset diabetes and thyroid disease.
GREY HAIR: This is no 'red signal' to be concerned that you are getting to 'look old' too early .It is a 'tell-tale' sign of stress, depression, or emotional anguish. However, diffuse grey hair at a young age may be indicative of thyroid problems and vitamin B deficiency. This problem is hereditary also.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Alopecia or alopecia areata is more commonly known as spot baldness. It is a serious condition that makes a person lose his or her hair in round patches. The patches increase in number over time. Alopecia could affect your scalp and can also result in hair loss from other parts of the body. Alopecia is an auto immune problem and causative factors of which are still not known. However, certain triggering factors, such as stress, which is the biggest culprit along with other factors like thyroid problems, genetic tendencies, drug abuse, hormonal changes or medications can lead to such a disorder.
Naturopathic ways of dealing with Alopecia:
1. Chinese hibiscus can come to your rescue: Alopecia is mainly caused due to weak, undernourished hair follicles. Chinese hibiscus is known to deal with the problem effectively. The petals of this flower, when used in combination with dandelion oil, add strength to your hair follicles. It also repairs hair damage. The oil should be applied on the scalp at least twice a week for noticeable results.
2. Fenugreek is a great way to tackle problems of hair loss: Fenugreek is rich in proteins and organic compounds. These compounds are effective in building up the defence mechanism of your scalp. Fenugreek regulates hormones in the human body in such a way that a stark re-growth of hair follicles is noticed in many cases.
3. Try using green tea creatively: Many people resort to green tea to lead a healthy way of life. While drinking two cups of this inimitable concoction twice daily, remember to use its liquor on the bald patches of your scalp as well. Absorb the drink on a piece of cloth and massage it on the affected areas of your scalp. Catechins, saponins and antioxidants present in this kind of tea help in regeneration of cells on the scalp.
4. Graphites can do wonders: Alopecia can also be characterized by itchy eruptions on your scalp. These eruptions may or may not contain pus like fluids. Patchy baldness, especially on the sides of your head, can be dealt with by taking this medicine. A person who shows intolerance towards cold and has an excess of adipose tissues can be treated with Graphites.
5. Mezereum is a sought after homeopathic medication: If alopecia areata makes hair fall in the cups of your hand each time you comb, Mezereum should be one's first and foremost choice. The skin of your scalp might be crusting, or you might have rashes in the bald circles. Mezereum will cure these symptoms by fighting off the condition in itself.
Homeopathy Treatment for Alopecia Areata
Homeopathic medicines are known to give very good results in cases of alopecia reata. The medicines most commonly found useful are –
Acid-flouricum, Phosphorus, Graphites, Apis, Ars-alb, Calcarea, Hepar-sulph, Psorinum, Kali-carb, Rhus-tox, Sepia, Psorinum, Calc-phos, Carbo-animalis, Selenium, Kali-phos, Lycopodium.
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a common skin disease characterized by thickened patches of inflamed, red skin covered with thick, silvery scales. The elbows and knees are the most common areas affected by psoriasis. It will often appear in the same place on both sides of the body. The patches can range in size from smaller than a dime to larger than a hand.
Description of Psoriasis-
Normally, skin cells mature and shed after about a month. In psoriasis, the cell maturation speeds up, taking only three to four days. Because the lower layer of skin cells divide more rapidly than normal, dead cells accumulate in thicker patches on the skin's outermost layer called the 'Epidermis'.
Forms & Classifications-
Psoriasis occurs in a variety of forms that differ in their intensity, duration, location, shape and pattern of scales. The most common forms are:
- Plaque Psoriasis: Plaque psoriasis is the most common form of psoriasis. It is characterized by raised, inflamed, red lesions covered with a silvery-white buildup of dead skin cells (scales). This is found primarily on the Body, elbows, knees, scalp and finger or toe nails.
- Guttate Psoriasis: Guttate psoriasis occurs most frequently in children and is characterized by numerous small, red, drop-like scaly macules that develop rapidly over a wide area of skin. This may appear following an infection, most frequently strep throat.
- Inverse Psoriasis: Inverse psoriasis occurs in the armpit, under the breast, in skin folds, around the groin, in the cleft between the buttocks and around the genitals. It is usually pink and irritated but lacks the thick scale seen in other forms of psoriasis.
- Pustular Psoriasis: Pustular psoriasis is a rare form characterized by small pustules (whitehead-like lesions) found all over the body or confined all over the body or confined to the palms, soles and other isolated areas of the body.?
- Palmoplantar Psoriasis: This type of Psoriasis are most likely to show up on the palms and soles. It can also appear on the tops of your feet, backs of your hands, and on knuckles and nails. It may be triggered by an injury to the skin, an infection, or another skin condition such as hand dermatitis. It may first occur during a period of psychosocial stress. Lesions are like cuts which bleed.
?Psoriasis - Homeopathic Treatment
The patient should be encouraged to expose maximum to sunlight and avoid trauma during the active phase.
Homeopathic treatment of psoriasis – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach.
This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the signs and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat psoriasis but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned; several well-proved remedies are available for psoriasis treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of psoriasis. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person.
The sudden change in the looks, color or texture of the skin indicates the skin diseases. This can result in swelling, chapping, itching, blistering etc. that can or can’t accompany with pain. The skin disorder may be localized on the specific part or may spread to the whole body; this disease is known as Atopic Dermatitis. The discomfort or pain of this disease also creates an awkward condition with looks. Many skin diseases like pimples, eczema problem, rashes, and fungal infections along with Atopic Dermatitis much more are commonly found in the people. Measles, rubella, roseola, chicken pox these are common skin diseases found in children. In some conditions, the blistered and inflamed skin can be very painful and the virus infection can continue to chickenpox.
The factors causing Atopic Dermatitis are as wide ranging as the kinds of diseases it. The Atopic Dermatitis can be caused due to heat, immune system weakness, infections, medications, and allergy with chemicals like rubber, cosmetics, detergents, soaps, dyes, etc.
Even the skin type and the various alcohols based or infrequent shampooing is also responsible for the skin problems. Some uncontrolled factors like aging, fatigue, weather and fatigue can often develop skin diseases gradually.
Atopic Dermatitis is very efficiently treated with natural Homeopathic medicines. The medicines firstly help in decreasing the severity of disease, itching and the frequency of relapses. And with the constitutional natural Homeopathic remedies selected solely on the basis of individual symptoms, there is a promise of eradicating the disease from its root. The Homeopathic medicine selection is based upon the totality of symptoms. The totality includes the site of eruption, the type of eruption, the worsening and relieving factors, time of itching, desires and aversions regarding food, sensitivity towards heat and cold, and the peculiar mental symptoms if present in a high degree. Homeopathic remedies help in eradicating Dermatitis from the root by increasing the patient’s immunity to the optimal level so that there won’t be any hypertensive flare-ups. The Homeopathic treatment for Atopic Dermatitis is not instant and does take time though, varying from months to a year depending upon the severity, duration of Dermatitis, plus the individual response to the remedy taken.
Top Homeopathic Medicines For Atopic Dermatitis
- Sulphur: for Atopic Dermatitis with dry scaly skin and itching
- Graphites: for Atopic Dermatitis in folds of skin (Flexural Eczema)
- Rhus Tox: for Atopic Dermatitis with asthmatic complaints
- Mezereum: for Atopic Dermatitis on scalp with discharging eruptions
- Natrum Mur: for Atopic Dermatitis with eruptions along hairline
Wrinkles home remedies:
Youthful skin with no wrinkles and spots looks so beautiful and adorable. Everyone wants to have that kind of skin. Usually, as skin gets older with increase in age, it loosens and appears in the form of wrinkles on the skin surface. Apart from ageing, which is a major factor for causing wrinkles, there are other reasons also.
Wrinkles home remedies- exposure to sun, pollution, mental stress, genetic problem, lack of muscle movement (sedentary life) or hectic schedules, irregular sleeping habits, unhealthy skin, improper nutrition and diet can yet be another cause that can result into wrinkles. These reasons are the causes of early age wrinkles as well.
Wrinkles home remedies:
Wrinkles can be reduced by various medical treatments and certain homemade masks, but fully removing wrinkles is little difficult.
Here we will discuss how to get rid of wrinkles using home remedies:
1. Coconut oil
Coconut oil has moisturizing and skin hydrating properties. For wrinkles, you need organic coconut oil. It can be applied directly or warm it slightly. Now massage this oil below the eye and other wrinkle affected areas. Keep it overnight and wash it the next day.
Repeat this process daily to get sooner results.
2. Olive oil
Olive oil has great antioxidant properties. Massaging this oil on the surface of the skin helps in rejuvinating and regenerating skin cells. It penetrates deep inside the skin, so that the skin remains moisturized for longer period of time.
You can also mix few drops of honey and glycerin to make the mask more effective. It will make your skin appearance brighter and youthful, thus reducing the wrinkles. Use this application daily to see better results.
3. Banana mask
Banana is full of vitamins and nutrients. To use it make a creamy texture of banana by mashing it in a bowl. Apply this on to your skin surface and let the skin absorb the banana extracts. After 30 minutes wash it off with normal water.
You can also use banana with papaya pulps to make the mask more effective. Apply it on the skin surface and keep for some time to allow the skin to absorb the nutrients. After 20 minutes wash it off with lukewarm water. You can do this 2-3 times a week for good results.
Aloe vera is popular for its anti fungal and antimicrobial properties. It helps the skin to be free from any external agent and hydrates the skin.
You can take out the extract from an aloevera leaf shaft or aloevera gel is available in the market readily. Apply the gel on the skin as such. The other way of using it is by mixing with egg white. The combination of both helps in revitalizing the skin. Do this 2 times a week to get better outcomes.
5. Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek can be used in multiple ways, as it is a great antidote its leaves, seeds and oil, all can be used for betterment of skin and its healthiness. The paste of fenugreek leaves can be applied on the skin surface. It has antioxidant properties that aid to the rejuvination of the skin.
The seeds can be made use of by boiling in water. Use this water for cleaning face. Massaging fenugreek oil can help in letting the skin to get minerals and nutrients.
Honey is useful in maintaining the ph level of the skin. It diminishes the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles. It can be applied directly on the skin. You can also use honey with ginger paste and apply it daily morning on the skin. This makes your skin feel fresh and youthful for the entire day.
There are different ways of utilising honey. Mix honey with milk and apply. It will make the skin smooth and free from wrinkles.
For added benefits you can use honey with lemon juice as well.
Papaya consists of an enzyme called papain that goes inside the skin and provides nutrition. For its usage apply papaya pulp on the skin or make a mask of papaya with banana. Let the skin absorb the essence of it. You can also make a mask of papaya and honey. Apply it daily for better and quicker results.
8. Baking soda
Baking soda works as a superb scrub to exfoliate the skin. It removes all the impurities and dead cells that block the skin pores. It can be used by mixing it with water. Scrub on the affected regions with this paste do it for 1-2 minutes. Wash it off quickly. Apply moisturizer after following this procedure as baking soda can make the skin dry.
Yoghurt, as delicious it sounds, the more useful it is to the skin. It consists of lactic acid that helps in cleaning the skin pores. Once the pore gets cleared up, it shrinks in size. This reduces the visibility of the wrinkles and fine lines.
For its application, make a paste of yoghurt and olive oil. Apply it on top of the skin surface. After 30 minutes, rinse it off. After 5-7 applications, you will find your skin looking more younger.
10. Green tea
Green tea is full with antioxidants, that help in cleansing the skin pores and burning the calories. Other than helping in weight loss, it is very good for the skin as it makes the skin free of wrinkles and fine lines.
You can boil green tea in water for some time. Add honey to it when it is hot, because honey will dissolve soon. Drink this type of green tea and make your skin glow.
With a wide range of modern skin rejuvenation techniques and procedures available in the market today, the effects of sun damage and age can be easily reversed. Wrinkles, scars, spots, pigmentation and a whole lot of embarrassing and unwanted skin flaws can now be easily treated.
When it comes to getting rid of common age related skin woes and giving your skin a total reboot, one of the most tried and tested treatments is the Intense Pulsed Light (IPL). ILP rejuvenation or Intense Pulsed light Photofacial procedure is an effective skin rejuvenation process as it involves the latest techniques of modern dermatology and can turn blotchy, red skin into a rejuvenated and radiant skin. It is an ideal remedy for sun and age damage on skin.
What is Intense Pulsed light Photofacial?
A pulse light photofacial refers to a procedure in which intense light pulses is pressed through the problematic areas. It is also known as intense Pulsed light or IPL photofacial. After the penetration of light pulses, the collagen and blood vessels below the epidermis get constricted. This reduces the redness on the skin along with the age lines. Several skin conditions can be treated using the process of IPL photo rejuvination. Removal of red spots, acne and rosacea is effectively done. The skin texture gets smoothened and is made even, large pores are closed and wrinkles are eliminated because of enhanced collagen growth.
Sometimes, redness and swelling may occur during the treatment, but they slowly disappear. The benefits can be observed within a week after the process is undertaken. During the process of IPL photo rejuvination, the high energy light waves produce help in reducing and eliminating several effects of aging, which includes facial wrinkles and discoloration of the skin due to prolonged sun damage. The pulsed light helps in the production of collagen, which is a natural protein that repairs wrinkles, making the skin surface smooth and soft. One treatment or session is not enough for proper skin rejuvenation, and the IPL photo rejuvination process should be repeated. With each treatment, the results get more well defined. Five full face IPL photofacial sessions are required within a span of three weeks for the best results.
Benefits and risks
The Pros: IPL is a preferred treatment since its does not cause much discomfort. Little or no downtime is required as well. The method is non ablative in nature, which means that no skin gets removed during the process. Because of this, recovery is easy and hardly any major risk associated with this skin rejuvenation technique. A major benefit of IPL photo rejuvination is that it treats several skin problems at once.
The Cons: In rare cases, you may notice blistering, bruising, scabbing and change in skin pigmentation. These side effects do not last long and disappear on their own usually. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.
Photodynamic therapy or PDT is a relatively new and non-invasive treatment for non melanomaskin cancer. It is mostly used in cases where the cancer is superficial and has not spread too deep. PDT is used mostly to treat Actinic Keratoses on the face and scalp, Basal cell carcinomas, Bowen’s disease, as well as other conditions such as head and neck, mouth, lung and gullet cancer.
How does it work?
This treatment involves the use of a drug known as photosensitize or a photosensitizing agent with a specific type of light. When the photosensitizing agents get exposed to a light of a specific wavelength, a form of oxygen is produced, which eliminates nearby cancer cells. Every photosensitizer gets activated by the special light. The wavelength of the light determines how much it can penetrate into the body.
Process of Photodynamic therapy
Skin cancer is cured by PDT in several steps. The first step involves the injection of a photosensitizer into the patient’s bloodstream. The blood cells absorb the agent all over the body, but in the cancer cells, it stays for a longer duration. Within 72 hours after the injection is given, the skin is exposed to light. The photosensitizer agent present in the cancer affected cells absorbs the light. An active oxygen form gets produced, which kills the cancer cells.
Other than killing the cancer cells directly, PDT uses two other ways to destroy cancerous tumors. The blood vessels in the tumor are affected, which leads to its death. The immune system also gets charged up and activated for fighting the cancer cells.
The light used for PDT is usually in the form of a laser. LEDs are also used to treat tumors present on the surface of the skin. The primary photosensitizing agent used in PDT is called porfimer sodium or Photofrin.
PDT can be undertaken in the outpatient department in a hospital. After taking the treatment, you have to keep the cancer affected area of the skin dry and covered for 36 hours. The area should be treated with care while showering. In case of thick skin lesions, repeat treatments are required within 4 weeks.
When is PDT used for skin cancer
PDT can be undertaken instead of surgery for treating basal cell cancer, Bowen’s disease and actinic keratosis. PDT is used in cases where surgeries are required. It is used to treat large skin cancers, which are not very deep and in the case when several cancers develop in an area. For many skin conditions, PDT is a better remedy than undergoing a surgery.
Advantages of PDT
- There are no long term side effects.
- The process is less invasive compared to surgery.
- A very short time is taken for this therapy to be undertaken.
- The process can be repeated several times in the same area.
- Very less scarring takes place in the affected area.
- The cost of this procedure is lesser than surgery.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
- The cost of this procedure is lesser than surgery.
For many of us who have crossed the twenties, dull skin is one the biggest problems. However, bringing out the natural glow of your skin is not that difficult a task, if you can cut out the junk food, work out every day, keep your skincare regular. Here are a few tips that can give your skin that natural glow.
- Exfoliation: Skin cells renew themselves after every 27 days and without regular skin exfoliation, a dead skin cell layer stays on the skin surface giving it a dull and lifeless appearance. With the process of exfoliation, new skill cell development is encouraged to give a more even and radiant complexion.
- Detoxification: In case your body gets overloaded with toxins, they will have effects on your skin. You should carry out detoxification by cutting the intake of sugar and alcohol for some days.
- Nourishing the skin from the inside: The skin should be nourished properly with enough vitamins and minerals to get a radiant complexion. Vitamin C is an efficient antioxidant and helps in repairing the skin from inside, keeping it healthy. As a result, you get more supple and radiant skin. Iron is also essential for the proper functioning of the antioxidants.
- Nourishing the skin from the outside: You should apply essential minerals and vitamins to the skin surface. They get absorbed by the skin cells resulting in a glowing and rejuvenated complexion.
- Hydration: You must drink loads of water to enable proper flush out of toxins and eliminate them from your system. The skin cells are also pumped, making the skin look fuller and radiant. You should drink at least two litres of water regularly.
- Sufficient sleep: The body requires seven to nine hours of regular sleep, to get properly rejuvenated and also for repairing itself. Improper or disturbed sleep will take a toll on your body and the skin will be affected by losing its radiance and lustre.
- Antioxidants: Natural antioxidants help in fighting free radicals and enable you to have smooth, beautiful and radiant skin. You should consume food items, which contain natural antioxidants such as vitamin C and vitamin E. This way damaged skin is repaired and rejuvenated, giving it a brighter appearance and a more even skin tone.
- Protection: It is important to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun. You should avoid going out during extremely hot days. Sometimes, the sun’s rays can affect you even when you do not go directly under it. You should wear brimmed hats, sunglasses and apply sunscreen on hot, humid days.
- Exercise: Apart from maintaining physical shape, exercise encourages an increased heart rate and makes your lungs workout. The leads to better oxidation in the skin and new skin cells are produced. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.