Find numerous ENT Specialists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. We will help you find the best ENT Specialists online in Ghaziabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. S M Gupta
Submit a review for Dr. S M GuptaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr.Gupta was very forthcoming and patient with my questions. Had gone basis proximity from my residence and it turned out to be a satisfying experience. Also I have felt that doctors from defence background carry rich and diverse experience
Dr Sm Gupta
Experienced and excellent doctor with pleasant mannerism. Thank you Lybrate for getting me connected to Such experienced Doctor near my home. Alka Agarwal; Mob 9999312820.
Good experience.during first visit. Very experienced doctor. I strongly recommend others to consult him.
Good and well read doctor . Patient listener
My daughter is 2.6 years old she has lot of wax in her ears how should I remove it. She does not have pain in ears but only puts her fingers in ears and scratches.
I am 26 year old male. I had cold 20 days ago after that my left ear started to ring, also had some ear infection. Dr. Prescribed me cefpodoxime axetil tab, salad nasal clear solution for 5 days. Ear ringing gone almost after 6-7 but not completely but it returned 3-4 days later in both ears this time. I went to doctor and she prescribed me almost same. Now I have ringing in my ears but not that much. Please help me how to get rid of this completely.
Vertigo is a feeling that your head or your surrounding is spinning. It is an illusion of movement. People with vertigo cannot bend down to pick up stuff, as they may feel the spinning sensation.
There are two types i.e. objective and subjective. Vertigo is said to objective when the surrounding seems to be spinning; subjective is when the person feels their head is spinning. Vertigo can be slightly mysterious to diagnose. There are, however, some causes which can help you understand it better. There are two main types of vertigo: Central and Peripheral. Central vertigo is when there is an issue in the brain that is causing vertigo. Middle ear problems leading to vertigo is known as peripheral vertigo.
- Paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV): Also known as, Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). These episodes are benign and occur in paroxysms or spurts. The person will feel the attack with simple actions like turning over in bed. They do not last long, often about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Migraine: Known for the severe headaches, migraine can also cause vertigo.
- Head trauma: This type of vertigo usually subsides with time as the person recovers from trauma.
- Neck injuries: Injury to nerves and blood vessels in the neck can also lead to vertigo.
- Health conditions: General health issues like arteriosclerosis, multiple sclerosis, and diabetes lead to vertigo.
- Stroke or blood flow blockage: When blood does not reach the base of the brain, it can result in vertigo.
- Middle ear infections: Labyrinthitis (either bacterial or viral) a middle ear infection can cause vertigo. Common viruses include herpes, influenza, measles, rubella, hepatitis, and EBV.
- Meniere’s disease: Another ear problem causing vertigo is Meniere’s disease. This is known for its 3 symptoms – vertigo, ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and hearing loss. This can be caused by various factors, some of which can include ear infections, head injuries, or heredity. The exact cause of the condition is not established clearly.
- Acoustic neuroma: A tumor of the nerve tissue in the inner ear may cause vertigo. The person can also have hearing loss and ringing sensation.
Other causes of vertigo include:
- Pregnancy: During the first trimester, in particular, the various hormonal changes can cause vertigo. The expanding uterus puts pressure on the blood vessels, leading to reduced blood supply to the brain, which can also induce vertigo. As the baby continues to grow, lying on the back can put pressure on the blood vessels to the heart, causing vertigo.
- Stress: It is known to worsen vertigo, which a person may already have. Anxiety and panic attacks are known to worsen vertigo.
- Travelers: Be it ship, air, or train, some people experience a spinning sensation with any form of travel.
Our lives are surrounded by germs and organisms that can affect human bodies in the most adverse ways possible. It is seen that a lot of diseases attack us when we either touch something that is contaminated or consume something that contains the germs, such as food or water. While it may be common to catch diseases and suffer from illnesses because of food or water, another way of catching a disease is by way of inhaling the germs. In such cases, the nose and the respiratory system get most affected and this is something that even causes serious issues such as Rhinoscleroma.
Rhinoscleroma is mainly a nasal disease and affects the nose in most cases, but in a lot of cases, the disease also spread to other respiratory organs and causes much more havoc in the body. The disease is caused due to a bacterial infection. When the bacteria comes in contact with the nasal passage or gets inhaled, the person may fall prey to the condition. The disease leads to obstruction in breathing and may need to be treated immediately. Though the disease in itself is not fatal, but some of the symptoms of the disease may cause great problems and may lead to fatal consequences.
The symptoms of rhinoscleroma:
In order to be able to fight the problem of Rhinoscleroma and to be able to attain a quick diagnosis, it may be important to know the basic symptoms of the disease. If you are aware of the symptoms, you may be able to see a dermatologist with greater urgency and the disease can be brought under control in a more effective manner. The following are some of the symptoms of the nasal and respiratory disease:
- You may see granulomatous growth in the nasal cavity or immediately around the nose; these are small swellings that are made up of immune cells.
- The disease may also be symptomized by nose bleeds in a lot of people.
- A feeling of obstruction may be common in the people that develop Rhinoscleroma.
- There may be instances where patients may also suffer from loss of sense of smell.
- The soft palate that is present at the back of the roof of the mouth hardens in a number of patients who suffer from Rhinoscleroma.
- Some patients also complain of developing a hoarse voice as a result of the infection.
Rhinoscleroma is known to be a hindrance in regular life and as soon as some symptoms or the disease are recognized, you should make sure to check with your dermatologist. The expert in the dermatology may suggest you to go through a course of oral medications. While in some cases, patients may have to undergo a surgery. In any case, a proper diagnosis should be carried out so that an effective treatment may be taken. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Outer ear infections can be caused by bacteria, virus, or yeast. Also known as swimmer’s ear, as it is very common in swimmers who keep their ears immersed in water for prolonged periods of time. It can also occur when the skin in the outer ear gets infected due to regular use of cotton buds to remove wax. Though it is very common in children, it can be seen in adults too.
The first step in managing an outer ear infection is to identify it.
- A dull, nagging pain in the outer ear is one of the first symptoms of an outer ear infection. Worsening of the pain when the ear is pressed is confirmatory of the infection. In some people, the pain could even spread to the rest of face, along with the cheeks or down the neck.
- Foul-smelling, yellow or green drainage is an indication of outer ear infection. The person could feel that the ear is constantly moist.
- This can be along the ear canal or in the outer ear skin.
- Mild hearing loss, which if untreated, can be progressive.
- Redness of the skin around the ear(s).
- Swelling of the lymph nodes at the base of the jaw.
- General symptoms of an infection including fever, lethargy, reduced energy levels, and overall tiredness.
Do not treat ear infections on your own. The actual agent causing the infection needs to be identified and treated accordingly. A bacterial infection may require a course of antibiotics, a viral one should be watched and allowed to run its course.
- Visit a doctor: They will check and confirm the infection.
- Ear cleaning: Cleaning the ear with either a suction or a curette. In some cases, there could be hardened wax which needs to be removed to get relief from the infection.
- Antibiotic drops: Either neomycin or ciprofloxacin is used in most cases.
- Acetic acid drops: This helps in keeping the bacterial population intact in your ears.
- Antibiotics: In severe cases, oral antibiotics may be required. Painkillers like ibuprofen may be also taken if the pain is unbearable.
- Saltwater: A home-made solution of vinegar and water or diluted saltwater provides great relief from ear infection symptoms.
- Heat pads: A warm, wet cloth applied on the cheek near the ear can provide great relief. It is advisable to sit when the heat pad is being applied to avoid burns.
- Preventative ear drops: When going for swimming long duration, OTC ear drops can be applied to provide relief.
- Avoid swimming: When the infection has set in and you begin to notice symptoms, avoid swimming for a few days.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
A patient suffering from tinnitus will experience a sensation of ringing in the ears. However, during this time they may also hear certain sounds such as whistling, clicking or hissing sounds. These sounds can keep either be episodic or regular. There isn’t any cure for the condition of tinnitus but the symptoms can be managed. Most people get used to the ringing sensation over a period of time. For many others tinnitus can cause insomnia, can make concentrating troublesome and can also lead to depression and or anxiety.
The noise that is heard in tinnitus by the patient is generally exclusive. Patient suffering with tinnitus will hear either low or high-pitched ringing noise. This is indicative of a severe condition. The volume keeps fluctuating and most likely affects a person during the night. In severe cases, a person can even lose his ability to hear.
Tinnitus involves disturbance within the auditory system and is resistant to a range of treatments. Tinnitus can be quite difficult to treat and therefore, counselling can be a way of dealing with it. This is because those who suffer from tinnitus can experience extreme levels of emotional imbalance, trouble sleeping, trouble concentrating, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and disruption of one’s social life.
How can counselling help?
Counselling aids in lowering the negative effects of the condition and enables the patients to comprehend their situation better. By coming to terms with their condition, it can markedly lower the disturbance levels.
Counselling is very important for treating tinnitus. The counselling method makes use of sessions that involve advising, empowering and informing the patients who are in need of support. The main aim of helping a tinnitus patient with counselling is either to reduce the severity of condition itself or to help a patient deal with his or her annoyance that arises out of suffering from the condition.
You should consult a trained psychologist if you think you are suffer from the condition. The degree of counselling is also dependent on the environment. A tinnitus management therapy primarily aims to reduce the stress caused on the patient’s life. These include psycho-educational approach that can be either carried out in single sessions or in groups. The psycho-education approach comprises maintaining sleeping hygiene, relaxation techniques and providing training for controlling attention.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!