Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. We will help you find the best Pediatricians online in Ghaziabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rahuol Chauhan
Submit a review for Dr. Rahuol ChauhanYour feedback matters!
If your child is suffering from mental retardation, homeopathy can help. A system of complementary medicine, homeopathy works on the dictum of ‘like treats like’. It is able to treat some of the toughest disorders and illnesses that allopathy finds hard to contain.
Mental retardation: Definition
- Mental retardation is a blanket term for a pattern of persistently slow learning of basic motor and language milestones during childhood.
- The adult manifests a below-normal intellectual capacity too.Such people have an intelligence quotient (IQ) of 70 or below.
- They usually have developmental disabilities, developmental delay, or learning difficulties.
These signs should alert parents and spur them to see a doctor-
- If your child learns to sit up, to crawl, or to walk later than other children
- Trouble speaking and forming words, remembering things, and having trouble understanding social rules
- Trouble solving problems
- Trouble thinking logically
What needs to be made clear is that poor academic performance by itself is not a sign of mental retardation. It can be due to multifarious reasons like behaviour problems.
Causes of mental retardation
- Down syndrome and Fragile X syndrome are the most common genetic causes of mental retardation.
- Problems during pregnancy and birth
- Rubella infection in pregnant mother
- Iodine deficiency in mothers
- Malnutrition is a common cause of reduced intelligence in children.
Here are some homoeopathic remedies for the treatment of mental retardation. All you have to keep in mind is to treat this article as a guide and take medicines only under the guidance of a certified and trained homeopath.
- Abrotanum: This remedy works when your child shows marked emaciation of legs, has ageing, flabby, and loose skin, and he cannot hold up his head.
- Baryta carb: This homeopathy remedy is very effective in treating cretinism which is marked by a dwarfish appearance, mental retardation, with swollen abdomen, puffy face, enlarged glands, thick lips and short stature. Such children also show delayed milestones like learning to walk and speak.
- Calcarea carb: When your child presents symptoms like obesity, a chalky look with red face, large belly, large head, pale skin, soft bones, increased sweating, mental slowness, de¬layed skills-walking, talking, etc., this remedy is indicated.
- Medorrinum: The remedy is prescribed by homeopaths when your child presents symptoms like dullness and sluggishness, extreme forgetfulness, imbecility, impatience, irritability, difficulty in concentration etc. The remedy is very good for treating delusions, hallucinations, and illusions.
There are other things that you as a parent can do to help your intellectually disabled child like learn everything you can about intellectual disabilities. This way you can guide your child to live a near-normal life successfully. Also get your child involved in group activities like art classes, drawing etc. This will help him learn social skills and become more independent.
At a young age, it is fairly common to be afraid of math. The rational nature of numbers, multiplication tables, addition, subtraction and all that in between can admittedly be a tough thing to get on with at a tender age. But in most of the cases, this difficulty tends to improve as one attains maturity. This can be attributed to a growing familiarity with the subject and a subsequent change in the way of understanding certain things. But if your child suffers from a problem with understanding math even at a grown age, chances are he/she might be suffering from Dyscalculia- a special type of learning disorder that is characterized by a person’s inability to grasp the concepts of math or the very concept of numbers itself.
Dyscalculia generally occurs due to genetic factors. However, it is also possible to encounter this disorder if your child had suffered from significant brain injury in the past or have problems with remembering things. It is also possible to have this disorder, if your child is already suffering from Dyslexia ( a learning disorder which makes your child unable to read or understand written words).
The symptoms of Dyscalculia are as follows:
- Inability to recognize numbers and significant trouble while counting.
- Significant problems while performing basic additions, subtractions or divisions.
- Facing problems with how to use money or telling time.
- The problem with memorizing mathematical formulae or tables.
- Your child might be unable to discern exactly how to approach a math problem.
- Your child will be increasingly reluctant to go to a math class or feel tensed before math examinations.
- Inability to understand the basic functionality of numbers.
It is extremely important to remember that having this disorder does not necessarily mean your child has a bad academic record on the whole. Since this disorder can cause significant problems in the future for your child in terms of dealing with things in the real world, you should be extremely sensitive regarding its treatment.
The treatment of Dyscalculia might include:
- You should encourage your child more and more if they tend to get immensely frustrated with their math problems. If possible, try to help your child with his/ her homework.
- Strike a healthy relationship with your child. Make him realize that not being able to grasp the concept of numbers is not the end of the world. Explore his other skills. That might boost his lost confidence and might encourage him to approach math in a more efficient manner.
- You should try to make your child learn how to tell time or use money with little home exercises. If possible, try to make him learn the basic of math with daily activities like counting the number of flowers while walking down the streets.
- You must consult a specialist who will make your child learn numbers by following different modes other than writing. For example, the specialist might read a math problem to your child in order to make him understand the problem.
My daughter is 13 months old and I had sex with my wife. Now my question, Is there any possibility of getting spoiled breast milk in breast.
Tear comes often in a six month old baby boy(not too much). Is that common? Any precautions to be taken?
Bathing the newborn baby is a pleasurable experience both for the mother and the baby. It can also be defined as a process through which the mother and child bond. A mother understands the requirements of the child and the baby adapts itself to the cleanliness regime of the mother.
When should I start bathing my new born baby?
According to guidelines of WHO, initial bath for a term newborn weighing more than 2.5kg should be given 6 hours after birth. In the term low birth weight babies weighing less than 2.5kgs, only sponge bath is to be given, till the weight crosses 2.5kg.
Dip baths can be given once the umbilical cord falls off i.e. by 7 -10 days. Till then sponge baths are to be given.
How should I bathe my baby?
The room should be warm and free from draught of air as a wet baby can easily catch the chill. Check the temperature of the bath water before placing the baby in the bath tub. The depth of the water should be 5 cms upto the hip of the baby. Eyes can be cleaned by using one sterile water-soaked cotton swab for each eye. The Head should be washed last and dried first to prevent exposure due to large surface area. Pay special attention to skin folds of the neck, behind the ears, underarms, and diaper area. Also wash between the fingers and the toes.
What cleanser/ soap should I use for my baby?
Do not use soap for the first 1 month of life. After that, use any mild unmedicated soap or liquid cleanser with acidic/ neutral pH, that maintains the pH of the baby's skin. Avoid scented soaps and bubble baths.
How frequently should I bathe my baby?
In summer months, daily baths can be given. In winters, dip bath may be given twice/thrice a week and rest of the days, it is preferable to sponge the baby.
Hair wash can be given twice a week.
A word of caution:
Never leave your baby unattended to in the bath tub.Bath tub should be disinfected after use. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult the doctor and ask a free question.
Some Useful Tips for Fussy Eaters Are as Follows:
- A small meal with three snacks should be administered regularly.
- The meal must have a good aroma, flavor, and be colorful.
- Serve different varieties of food every time.
- Introduce something new every week.
- The food should be soft and chewable, and be according to your child's taste.
Some Lunchbox Ideas:
- Idli with coconut chutney.
- Paneer paratha with chutney or curd.
- Rajma (kidney beans) with rice, carrot, cucumber salad.
- Mung dal rice with chutney.
- Dalia khichdi with plain curd.
- Mung dal khichdi with curd.
- Soybean biryani with raita.
- Tomato rice with green chutney.
- Lemon rice with raita.
- Vegetable pulao.
- Aloo paratha with green chutney.
- Potato sandwich.
- Methi paratha with tomato chutney.
- Paneer pulao.
- Vegetable fried rice with curd.
- Veg biryani with raita.
- Vegetable uttapam with green chutney.
- Cabbage paratha with tomato chutney.
- Egg fried rice.
How to maintain Good Health in children?
Hello everyone. I'm Kanchan Patwardhan. I'm a Clinical Dietician and Nutritionist working in this field from last 22yrs. Today, we are going to speak about how to increase health and stamina in children. You know healthy brain begins with smart nutrition. Diet is actually very important because your body's organ and tissues need proper nutrition to work effectively. So, without good nutrition your body is proned to diseases, infection, fatigue etc. If your children's diet is not nutritionally dense then definitely they're prone to infection and diseases. So better is you give your child a good nutrition and you know how you can give it? It's very easy. There are ceratin ways in which we can give it to them, provide them good nutrition.
There are many mothers who come to me and say that my child doesn't eat fruits, my children doesn't eat this and that. So I always ask them, do you eat that fruit, do you eat papaya, apple? If you don't eat that how are you expecting your child to eat that? So first you start that because whatever children learns, they learn it from you only. Children are very fast learner, they grasp very fast, in subconscious mind also they're learning things. So if you eat in front of them they will think my mother must be eating something very good or something very delicious and even if one day they don't look at you, second day they don't look at you but on the third day they will definitely come and try what you're eating and the same thing will become a habit. So it is very easy how to teach them to take up nutritious food. First you eat and subconsciously they will also start liking good food.
How will you see if your child is having proper nutrition or not? If he is having low concentration problem, if he is having frequent cough and cold, if he is having infections, if he is having dull skin, in the teenager if he is having pimples or if he is having mood swings, having tensions, irritation. All these problems if he is having that means your child's diet is not proper. So please look at your child's diet and find out the root cause of your problems. You must give right proteins to your child because right proteins are neccessary for repairing body tissue, development of healthy brain, proper functions of hormone and any wear and tear, if it is there then protein is going to actually help you out and heal any wear and tear. So please include protein in the diet, you can obtain proteins from fish, milk, cheese, eggs, nuts, pulses etc. So proteins are equally important.
At the same time you must give them anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals through fruits and vegetables. And at the same time you must give them good quality complex carbohydrates also. For the child's growth and development calcium is equally important because if you give enough calcium the child's bones will become strong and they will become tall. So please give them good calcium such as almonds, soya, beans, dairy products, peas, brocolli etc in your child's diet. Please give right quality iron to your children that comes from green leafy vegetables, pomegranate, eggs, cysmic seeds, garden green seeds, beans, rajma, chole, chane etc. These are the very good sources of iron. With it your children should go for physical activities, they can opt for any activity, they can play cricket, they can play tennis, they can play anything but not indoors. They should play outside for proper physical and mental growth.