Dr. Manoj Gupta
Surgical Gastroenterologist, Ghaziabad
Hello everyone. I am Dr Manoj Gupta, I am a consultant Liver transplant surgeon and surgical gastroenterology in New Delhi. Today I will provide you tips to keep your liver healthy.
Good health is the best wealth. To safeguard the best wealth, you must protect your crucial organs. One such organ is a liver. Your liver is a key player in the body digestive system. It is an organ which can easily damage if you don't take good care of it. So, here are some tips;
- Eat a healthy diet and involve in regular exercise. High fibre food such as fruits, vegetables and whole grain food are good for health. At the same time, you must also increase protein intake from the sources such as fish, beans and nuts. Be careful with herbs and dietary supplements. Avoid food which you are allergic and sensitive too. As it weakens the liver function and stress the immune system.
- Reduce your body weight as Obesity is the major factor. People who are obese start following the healthy diet and work out regularly to maintain your body weight.
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol, smoking or illegal drugs. The small quantity of alcohol on regular basis can burden your liver.
- Liver helps in detoxifying the alcohol. So, having complete breaks from the alcohol helps your liver.
You can get Hepatitis A and E from drinking the water having virus which will ultimately cause a disease. You can also get a vaccine
Hepatitis B and C are spread through blood and body floats. To cut the risks, do not share items such as razers, toothbrushes or needles.
- Limit the number of sex partners you have and always use barrier protections while having sex.
- Hence, get vaccinated and see the family whether they are vaccinated. This may reduce the risk of diseases.
- Always avoid self medications. Nowadays everyone rushes to the medical store rather than rushing to the doctor.
- Over intake of drugs can harm the liver and in several situations, may lead to liver failure also. Although, prevention is better than cure. But once diagnosed with decompensated liver disease, early liver transplant can give better long term outcome.
If you want to take appointment with me, you can take it through Lybrate.read more
What is Liver Transplantation?
Liver transplantation is an operation in which a diseased liver is removed and replaced with the healthy liver from a donor.
Who needs a Liver Transplantation?
It is a life saving treatment for the patients with liver failure. A condition liver is not able to sustain according to body needs. A patient with either acute liver failure or chronic liver failure will get benefit from the transplant.
What is living donor Liver transplant?
If a living person donate the liver, it is called living donor liver transpant. A living donor can be a family member or a closed relative of the patient.
- A living donor should have complatible blood group.
- Donor must be from the family like 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree family relative.
- Donor should be between 18-50 years.
- Donor should not be over weight.
- Donor should have healthy physical and mental health.
- Donor liver should be large enough to provide adequate liver volume to the recepient and that too is accessed with multiple tests.
Is it safe for the living person to donate the part of a liver?
Yes, liver donation operation has a very small risk because liver is an only oragn which is being reserved. Even 25% of the liver can provide sufficient function to the donor. At the end of operation, only 30% of liver is left behind withb the donor. So, it is an only organ which regnerate. It is having capacity to regenerate back to its normal life. Normal size liver regenerate upto 90% within 2-3 months after operation.
What is success rate of Liver Transplant?
Success rate are usually more than 95% if a patient is in healthy state.
Life after Liver Transplant?
Recepient lives the normal productive life. He is capable of working and supporting family with the help of lifelong medication.
Life after Liver Donation?
Liver donor lives a normal life. Quality of life is not affected by Liver Donation. Few donors have returned to the army as well after donating their liver and ladies have given birth to children even after liver donation.
Thank you.read more
Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gastroenterologists online in Ghaziabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Other treatment areas
Awards and Recognitions
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Manoj Gupta
Treatment of Acidity
Treatment of Abdominal Pain
Treatment of Jaundice
Treatment of Ulcer
Treatment of Blood in Stools
Treatment Of Alcoholic Liver Disease
Treatment of Peptic Ulcers
Treatment of Gastric Trouble
Treatment of GERD
Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Treatment of Hepatitis B Infection
Treatment of Digestive Disorders
Treatment of Burning Sensation in Stomach
Treatment of Stomach Cramps
Treatment of Liver Disease
Treatment of Chronic Pancreatitis
Treatment of Gastritis
Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis
Treatment of Amoebiasis
Submit a review for Dr. Manoj GuptaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Manoj Gupta Reviews
Dr. Manoj Gupta provides answers that are very helpful and knowledgeable. Genius answer.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Manoj Gupta to be very helpful. Thank u sir
Dr. Manoj Gupta provides answers that are very helpful. I did the endoscopy
Visited for abdominal pain, stomach treatment
It's good actually,, he is a nice guy
Visited for gastritis problem
Very good and friendly behaviors