Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Ghaziabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anjali Upadhyay
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Anjali UpadhyayYour feedback matters!
Acoustic neuromas are tumors that develop on the nerves connecting the ear to the brain. Being non-cancerous in nature, they do not spread to other parts of the body. However, they are characterized by symptoms such as gradual or sudden hearing loss, more pronounced with either of the ears, a ringing sensation in the affected ear, weakness, facial numbness and dizziness.
Acoustic neuroma can be of two types: one is sporadic in nature and the other is associated with a condition known as neurofibromatosis type II (NF2). NF2 is basically an inherited disorder identified by benign growth in the nervous system. NF2 being a rare disorder, makes the sporadic type the dominant one. Although the causes behind this type of neuroma are still unknown, long term exposure to radiations, especially around the neck and the head, could be one of the most important triggering factors.
Once the diagnosis is done, treatments for acoustic neuroma depend on the growth and size of the tumor.
Diagnosis with the help of monitoring: Small tumors exhibiting no such symptom or slow signs of growth need to be monitored with the use of hearing tests and regular imaging. In case, the MRI scans are able to trace any sort of development on the part of the tumor or if the tumor poses subsequent difficulties, opting for treatment becomes the need of the hour.
Stereotactic Radiosurgery: Also known as Gamma Knife, radiosurgery is a treatment method wherein controlled radiations are used to treat tumors, thus doing away with the need of making any incision.
Surgical Removal: Surgery performed under general anesthesia is directed towards removing the tumor; that helps to preserve the facial nerve and thus inhibit facial paralysis and hearing loss. The tumor is usually removed either through the ear or through the skull.
If you are experiencing pain, irritation, or itchiness in your throat, the condition is referred to as a sore throat. It is likely for you to face difficulty in swallowing food and the pain worsens when you want to swallow. The primary symptom of a sore throat is throat pain. People of all ages can get affected by a sore throat.
There are several causes of a sore throat. The most common ones are as follows:
• Viral infections are the most common causes of sore throat.
• These are the infections that are caused by a virus, like the flu or cold.
• Measles, chicken pox, and croup are other viral infections that cause a sore throat.
• Several environmental factors also cause sore throat.
• Exposure to pollen, mold, pet dander, and several other irritants leads to postnasal drip.
• This causes throat pain and inflammation.
• Exposure to dry air, and smoking cigarettes are also common causes of a sore throat.
• For the diagnosis of a sore throat, a physical examination of your throat is carried out, and your throat will be examined using a lighted instrument.
• Doctors usually look out for inflammations and white patches that indicate strep throat. Your breathing will also be checked.
• The back of your throat can be swabbed for examining samples in order to determine the virus.
• Certain blood tests may also be required to be undertaken.
• The treatment of sore throat depends on the cause.
• In case your sore throat is caused by a bacterial infection, you will be prescribed antibiotics for killing the infectious bacteria.
• The medicines should be taken strictly according to a doctor’s prescription.
• You should complete the course of 10 days to get effective results.
• If you stop the treatment at an early stage on noticing improvements, a sore throat can recur soon.
There are certain simple home remedies which are effective for curing the most common forms of sore throat. They include:
• Gargling with warm, salted water.
• Consuming warm fluids like soup, tea, and water.
• Having throat lozenges.
• Reducing the inflammation using ibuprofen and acetaminophen.
• Avoiding exposure to allergens and irritants.
In case your sore throat is caused by a viral infection, the virus should be left to run its course. During its course, you will be prescribed medicines like pain relievers and decongestants for relieving the symptoms. Antiviral drugs are also used in some cases for fighting the virus effectively.
Laryngitis is referred to as the inflammation of the vocal cord or the larynx situated in the throat either due to it’s over usage or certain infections. This condition spreads rapidly and does significant damage to the larynx. Laryngitis can be acute or chronic. If not diagnosed timely, laryngitis can cause significant problems in the respiratory system such as experiencing trouble while breathing. Laryngitis can be treated with antibiotics and with other home remedies such as gargling with warm salt water, giving your voice some rest and drinking sufficient water (around 2-2.5 liters) in a day to keep dehydration at bay. Make sure you avoid any caffeinated beverage and alcohol if such a condition develops. In urgent cases of laryngitis, a prescribed dosage of corticosteroids and antibiotics can provide relief.
The causes of laryngitis depend considerably on the form of laryngitis. If the laryngitis is of acute nature, then it might have been caused due to an infection and it tends to go away after suitable treatment. In the case of chronic laryngitis, the inflammation is caused due to a frequent exposure to irritants. This condition has long sustained effect and tends to be painful. The causes of laryngitis are as follows:
- Apart from viral and bacterial infections, an acute form of laryngitis can be caused due to the impairment of the vocal cord as a result of constantly talking or screaming at a high-pitched voice.
- Acid reflux (acidity) and frequent instances of sinus infections can cause chronic laryngitis.
- Excessive consumption of tobacco and alcohol might cause chronic laryngitis.
- Constant exposure to toxic chemicals might cause chronic laryngitis.
- In some cases, prolonged huskiness of the throat might be a symptom of a serious underlying medical condition such as cancer or vocal cord paralysis. In such a case, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
The symptoms of laryngitis are as follows:
- A constant sensation of dry throat which might lead to permanent impairment of voice
- Persistent sensation of titillation in the throat coupled with a persistent dry cough
- Significant pain while swallowing food
- Feeling of fullness in the throat
- Severe pain in the throat
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!