Submit a review for KAAN Hearing Aid & Speech Therapy ClinicYour feedback matters!
You may find out that your child is suffering from hearing loss when he is born or he may be diagnosed with the condition later in life. Hearing loss in children is commonly caused by otitis media, birth problems and on the account of certain injuries or illnesses.
Signs and symptoms
The early stage symptoms of hearing loss in children are as follows:
No reaction to extremely loud noises
No response or reaction to your voice
The child makes some sounds, which taper off
The other symptoms which follow include:
He may pull and rub his ears.
He may act cranky constantly without any proper reason.
He might stop paying attention.
Low energy levels are indicated.
He may find it hard to follow directions.
He may ask you to increase the volume of the radio or TV.
Fever and ear pain are also likely symptoms.
Early hearing loss can affect your child’s language learning skills. If the problem is diagnosed and treated soon, the problem with language can be avoided. The method of treatment depends on the cause of hearing loss in your child and the severity of hearing loss.
There are certain medicines for hearing---prescribed by your ENT Surgeon. Pleas take the point watchful waiting. Even if you have slightest doubt of hearing loss contact ENT immediately.
The primary treatment methods of hearing loss in children include the following:
Watchful waiting: Sometimes, the condition may resolve on its own and the treatment involves simple monitoring of your child for positive changes.
Medicines: There are certain medicines for hearing loss in children, which may be prescribed by your pediatrician.
Ear tubes: Ear tubes may be recommended if medicines and monitoring do not work. The tubes allow fluid to drain and help in preventing infections. A minor surgery has to be undertaken on your child for getting the ear tubes placed. This will solve the hearing loss and other related issues.
Hearing aids: Hearing aids may be used to allow your child hear better. It is safe for children to use ear tubes after the age of one month. For the right hearing aid for your child, you need to consult a hearing specialist.
Implants: Cochlear implants are used to treat hearing loss in many children. These are electronic devices which are put in the inner ear to benefit hearing. These should be used only if hearing aids did not succeed and these are meant to be used only in case of children with serious hearing problems.
There are several other devices, which can help your child with hearing loss. For suggestions and recommendations, you must take your child to a hearing specialist.
Proper and sound hearing is essential for a healthy living. If you are suffering from lack or loss of hearing, chances are that you are missing out on life itself. Therefore, it is imperative that you undergo treatments in case you are suffering from any kind of hearing ailment.
There are various reasons that contribute to loss of hearing. Some of the common causes are:
- Increasing noise
- Genetically inherited
Over the years various surgical and non-surgical methods have surfaced that can help repair loss of hearing and damage. Among the other branches of medicines, Ayurveda is the most old and ancient method. It uses natural herbs in order to correct and treat hearing loss. This has proved to be extremely beneficial and potent and it cures hearing ailments with the help of a number of natural methods. Some of them are:
- Lukewarm mustard oil or sesame oil: If you are suffering from ache in ears or loss in hearing, try putting few drops of warm mustard oil and sesame oil in your ear and hold it with index fingers. At the same time store air in your mouth and let your cheeks contract and bulge for a minute or so. This ayurvedic tip considerably improves hearing and reduces ear pain.
- Radish juice and sesame oil: If you are suffering from sores and hearing problems, a mixture of the two can be beneficial. In this method, a small quantity of Radish juice should be boiled with a small quantity of sesame oil, till the juice absorbs the oil. This mixture should be administered twice a day in order to experience the results.
- Applewood oil: A variety of ingredients are required in order to create the resultant oil. Initially cow's urine should be boiled and the applewood powder must be added to it. This mixture should then be filtered and further added with sesame and goat's milk. This concoction is then boiled and the resultant oil should be stored and applied with cotton daily. This improves hearing a great deal.
- Mixture of neem and turmeric: In this method turmeric and neem leaves are boiled together. The steam should be taken as well as the water must be applied on the ears and surrounding areas. This has proved to be an extremely effective remedy in treating pus in the ears and consequent hearing loss.
- Mixture of Radish juice, turmeric, sesame oil and ajwain seeds: All these ingredients must be taken in selective quantities and boiled to get the resultant oil. This oil must be stored and used to treat loss of hearing and other ear diseases.
My son aged 11 years since few days is listening only on a high volume range whether we talk to him or it's TV. Most of the times he doesn't hear the door bell too. Kindly advise?
She is hearing bit low last couple of months since two days let side ear she is not able to hear properly almost none what should I do what should she eat please help me give me good advice.
What is the cost of tympanoplasty with mastoidectomy. What are the complications and success rate of this surgery.
I'm 14 years old and I was at a volleyball training yesterday and we did a lot of fitness and body workouts and we were dehydrated and I started to see black and green noise in my vision and it spread more by time and I felt heavy and my ears began to not hear properly with a whistle kind of noise and I felt like vomiting and fainting but it was gone after 2-5 minutes, I feel like it is a mini-stroke but I wanted a clear answer from an expert, also my identical twin experienced that too at the same time. Note: it happened to me before too from 2 years in my karate training.
My 75 years old mother can not hear she can hear with help of hearing machine.Please suggest me something.
Hi Doctor, I'm 28 male last 2 -3 weeks I have Ear problem just no pain hearing problem sounds I hear too low. I check my ears with Physical Dr. Ear was checked and theirs no dust in ear they told me but still I have same as first 2 week before no improvement what can I do for this. Please give me good suggestions for this and I need permanent solution.
I am suffering from deafness from last year. Hearing loss is my most biggest problem. Please tell me remedy for deafness.
I am 72-year-old and have been using hearing aid for last 3 years. Now the hearing aid also is not helpful, my hearing loss continues. Are there any other options/hearing aids available?
You should consider undertaking a cochlear implant in case you are experiencing hearing loss or are turning deaf. This is a small device that gets planted in your ear through a surgical procedure. It sends impulses to your auditory nerves directly, as a result of which sound signals get carried to your brain. Cochlear implants may not make you hear normally again, but help you with different sounds, and in the recognition of the different sounds around you like alarms, telephones, and door bells.
How it works?
- A cochlear implant is fit for children and adults who suffer from the sensorineural hearing loss. This condition damages the tiny hair cells in your inner ear, which is called the cochlea. Hearing becomes impaired when these get damaged.
- The device consists of two specific parts. The first part or the receiver-stimulator is placed under your skin via a surgical procedure. The other part of the device is the speech processor. It has to be worn around your neck in the form of a hearing aid.
- The external device is, however, larger in size than a usual hearing aid. The receiver gets placed under your skin, behind the ear via a small incision. It is connected to electrodes.
- This is inserted into the cochlea of your inner ear. The surgery requires a few hours to be undertaken successfully.
- The speech processor has to be placed two weeks after the surgery is undertaken. The processor can be connected to the microphone, and this can be worn around the ear.
- You can wear it on any other part of your body, based on your lifestyle and age.
Benefits of cochlear implant
The major benefits of a cochlear implant are as follows:
- You might be able to hear speech almost normally.
- You will be able to understand speech better, and will not have to depend on lip reading.
- It will be much easier and simpler for you to listen to the television and talk over the phone.
- You will be able to listen to music better.
- You may also be able to pick up various sounds around you that include soft, medium, and loud sounds.
- You will be able to control your own voice better. This makes other people understand you better.
If you are suffering from severe hearing loss, a cochlear implant may be able to change your life for the better. However, the results are not the same for all, and vary among people. It is possible for some people to benefit more from such an implant than others.
I want to talk about a 22 years old girl who is deaf and dumb since birth. We are looking for her cure for a long time now. I am wondering if the stem cells which has proven to be revolution in the medical does have the capability to cure such cases or not. Pleas guide us whom can we meet if you are not sure on the answer to this question. We are looking for any doctor in NCR region.
My grandmother is unable to hear anything and you can say deaf since a long time. How to treat her to recover from deafness. Please tell me.
Is there any possible treatment available for noise induced hearing loss? The loss is 40db. Can homeopathy help? Is there any medicine that can regenerate ear nerves and cure hearing?
Hearing loss is experienced by millions of people these days. Ageing is not the only factor that brings hearing impairment. The causes are many. Certain medications, continuous exposure to loud noise, genetic involvement, injury and some medical conditions may cause hearing loss.
There are quite a few myths that people have come to believe about hearing loss over the years. Since it is such a common phenomenon, here we take a look at the common myths surrounding hearing loss.
Myth no. 1: Hearing loss is exclusive to elderly.
Fact: As said before, hearing loss can be an outcome of various causes. Nearly half of the people suffering from the same are below the age of 55 years. No matter what your age is, you must always get your ears checked, especially if you are feeling that are you missing things.
Myth no. 2: Diagnosing hearing loss is easy.
Fact: Most people do not come to know about the condition until it gets worse. Also, your physician never really checks for hearing loss symptoms in a general check-up unless you ask for it specifically.
So, always get a check-up done, like you do for other probable diseases.
Myth no. 3: There's no effective solution for hearing loss.
Fact: Like there have been advancements in the medical field for everything else, there are aids available these days that improve your hearing and have finer adjustments for noise adaptation. Also, there are certain other procedures and surgeries that have proved to improve the condition in many.
So, seek help as soon as possible.
Myth no. 4: The sounds aren't loud enough; my ears are healthy and fine.
Fact: If there is a problem you're experiencing with hearing, you have got to accept that and get it treated. Avoiding a certain condition will only get things worse for you.
Also, hearing aids are no more a stigma. Ear aid devices have designs similar to earphones these days, which are comfortable enough to wear. Ignoring a medical condition or inability to accept the same would only do more harm instead of making things fine.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 45 years old male. I am suffering from sinus ,always nose is full of mucus. At present since last one week pain is behind the ear. What to do, please advice.
Hi. My friend who is 25 years old, suddenly one morning he woke up and his left ear was blocked and he was hearing a ringing sound in it, he went to doctor and the doctor said it is inflammation and gave him meds, but that didn't do anything and hes ear stayed the same, the mefs made his stomach sick tho, so he left them, and went to an ear specialist, and he also said it is ear inflammation and gave him meds and ear drops, so my friends used those meds and drops but nothing happened. And now its been almost 2 weeks and his ear is still blocked and the ringing sound also still there. I want to ask, what this problem is, and why the meds or ear drops didn't cure it? Can it be something serious? And is there any danger of losing the hearing?
My mother is a 46 year old. Recently she consulted a ENT doctor because she was hearing a buzzing noise in her ear. The doctor said, there is a hole in the ear and hence needs to be covered with a surgery. Could you please advice if this can be cured 100% by surgery? Also, why would any one get holes in their ears? My mom is a housewife and her daily life is pretty similar to that of an average Indian house-wife's.
Hearing loss is a common sensory problem that generally develops with increasing age or due to prolonged or persistent exposure to loud noises. It is one of the most typical problems that occurs throughout the world. If you are suffering from partial hearing loss, you may find ways of keeping in touch with your family and friends. If you are not suffering from such the following may help you keep your hearing intact for years to come.
Types of hearing loss:
There are two main types of hearing loss:
1. Conductive Hearing Loss where the problem lies in the middle ear, eardrum or ossicles. A conductive hearing loss affects the passage of sound between the eardrum and the inner ear. Sound passes down the ear canal to the ear drum and through the middle ear, where the sound is transmitted across the middle ear by the three bones called the ossicles to the inner ear.
Causes of conductive hearing loss:
- Malformation of outer ear, ear canal, or middle ear structures
- Fluid in the middle ear from colds
- Ear infection (otitis media - an infection of the middle ear in which an accumulation of fluid may interfere with the movement of the eardrum and ossicles
- Poor Eustachian tube function
- Perforated eardrum
- Benign tumors
- Impacted earwax
- Infection in the ear canal
- Foreign body in the ear
2. Sensorineural Hearing Loss where there is damage in the inner ear, cochlea or hearing nerve. Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) occurs when there is damage to the inner ear (cochlea), or to the nerve pathways from the inner ear to the brain. Most of the time, SNHL cannot be medically or surgically corrected. This is the most common type of permanent hearing loss.
Causes of sensorineural hearing loss:
- Exposure to loud noise
- Head trauma
- Virus or disease
- Autoimmune inner ear disease
- Hearing loss that runs in the family
- Aging (presbycusis)
- Malformation of the inner ear
- Meniere's Disease
Coping with Hearing Loss:
Antibiotics and eardrops are often prescribed to treat hearing loss and its symptoms. In many cases, people suffering from severe hearing loss use hearing aids. Hearing aids are tiny instruments that people use in their ears to make sounds louder. People who suffer from hearing loss cope with their problems through increased concentration and focus. The usual way involves reading the moving lips of the person while they talk. Prevention is better than cure and is the best solution to avoid long term hearing loss. Avoiding continuous loud noises, to the possible extent helps prevent hearing loss to a great extent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.