Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best General Physicians online in Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Arun Kumar
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Arun KumarYour feedback matters!
In today's age, when we have become extremely prone to several life-threatening lifestyle diseases, full body health check-ups are the only way possible to ensure a healthy as well as happy life for us and our families.
We can spot these diseases even before they occur if we go for regular full body check-ups.
A complete body check should be a must for everyone at least once in a year. You should get your body fully checked once every year. In this test, you can get each and every organ of your body examined to ensure a healthy life.
These tests also include thyroid test which helps in clearing your doubts about your thyroid gland which may be under or over performing. Keeping your blood pressure levels under check is also extremely important.
These tests allow you to understand the functioning of your liver by ascertaining the levels of your bilirubin, albumin and serum globulin levels. Knowing the functioning of your kidneys is also very important which is covered in these tests.
Keeping your cholesterol levels under check is also very important for having a healthy heart. This is ascertained in the Lipid profile test.
Iron deficiency is a wide-spread problem. This is often ignored by people but holds utmost importance to prevent the deadliest diseases. So, keeping this checked is very important.
Diabetes profile test also holds great significance in everyone’s life. This is one of the biggest health issues India is facing these days. You must keep your blood glucose levels under check to prevent this disease.
Vitamin lab tests help you check blood or urine levels of various vitamins, and also in diagnosing vitamin deficiencies. These tests are also vital for checking excess or overabundance of specific vitamins.
With the increasing amount of pollution in the environment, we are very prone to gather toxins in our body which have the potential of even leading to death. Getting this tested may help understand if you need to take ay preventive measures to stay safe.
Regular full body health check-ups are the need of the hour for each one of us as it is the only way possible in our busy schedule to ensure a long and healthy life.
In a shocking post on Instagram, Hrithik Roshan revealed how his father, the veteran actor Rakesh Roshan, has been diagnosed with early-stage squamous cell carcinoma of the throat or in simple terms throat cancer.
For someone who dedicatedly takes care of his health, this news came in as a startling reminder of the possibility that such a condition can happen to anyone anytime.
What is Early Stage Throat Cancer?
Throat cancer refers to cancerous tumours that typically affect the voice box, vocal cord, tonsils and oropharynx. Early stage throat cancer ranges from stage I to stage III. The good thing is that it is curable only if diagnosed early. Treatment generally involves surgery, radiation therapy or a combination of both.
Squamous cell carcinoma is the most common form of throat cancer where the disease develops on the cells lining the wall of the throat.
What are the Major Risks Leading to Throat Cancer?
Certain factors heighten the possible occurrence of throat cancer like:
- Excessive smoking and chewing of tobacco
- Regular consumption of alcohol
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Lack of healthy diet
What are the Possible Signs of Throat Cancer?
Symptoms of early-stage throat cancer often tend to merge with signs of common infection. However, if any of the following symptoms continue to persist, one should seek urgent medical assistance.
- A sore throat
- Sudden weight loss
- The abrupt change in voice
- A continuous cough including the presence of blood
- The constant need to clear throat
- Ear pain
Following the identification of the disease, the stage of the cancer is determined, which helps in deciding treatment options.
- Radiation - Radiation involves emission of high-energy beams from X-rays or protons that directly eliminate cancer cells. For the initial stages, this is an extremely effective way of treatment.
- Surgery - Surgery is referred to when the cancer cells are limited to the vocal cords. Here endoscopy is used to scrape off the infected portion. In situations where the voice box is infected, doctors try to save as much area of the voice box that they can. This helps in retaining the patient’s ability to speak and breathe normally. For extensive tumours, it becomes necessary to surgically remove the entire voice box and speech has to be restored using speech therapy.
- Chemotherapy - Chemotherapy works by injecting drugs into the bloodstream. It is prescribed together with radiation to treat cancer cells. It, however, leaves room for long-term side effects and the consequences must be discussed thoroughly with the physician.
There are no substantial ways to prevent throat cancer. However, you can minimize its possibility by incorporating certain healthy practices -
- Quit smoking and use of tobacco
- Limiting alcohol intake
- Following a balanced and healthy diet
- Protecting oneself from HPV
- Regularly going for preventive health checkups
As the saying goes ‘prevention is better than cure,’ it is necessary to follow a healthy lifestyle. With proper treatment during initial stages, there are positive chances of winning over the disease.
Lead is a poisonous metal which can cause several serious health issues and can even go to the extent of killing the consumer. It is found deep within the ground and also around us in the air, soil, water and our homes. Some of the countries have even taken measures over the years to reduce lead in the environment, but what is shocking is that India has set up a permissible amount of lead which can be added to the 'food items' like 'Maggi'.
The Supreme Court of India has asked Nestle India, the manufacturer of Maggi, that why should children have Maggi noodles with lead. The question has brought the case into the limelight again which was originally escalated by the Indian government three years ago, claiming that Maggi contained excess amount of lead content.
Lead has various side effects, especially on infants and children. Discussed below are the complications lead intake can lead to:
How does lead affect you?
Lead builds up in your body over a period of time. It may take a few months or even years, but even its small amounts can lead to serious health issues. It gets into your bloodstream and subsequently gets stored in your organs, tissues, bones and teeth.
What are the symptoms of lead poisoning?
Generally, you will have no symptoms of lead poisoning, but if the lead consumption continues for an extended period of time, you may experience the following:
- Permanent brain damage
- Hearing problems
- Anemia (decreased red blood cell production)
- Reproductive system damage (men and women)
- Kidney disease
- High blood pressure
- Joint and muscle pain
- Difficulties with memory or concentration
- Abdominal pain
- Mood disorders
- Reduced sperm count and abnormal sperm
- Miscarriage, stillbirth or premature birth in pregnant women
If any pregnant woman consumes lead, it may even lead to miscarriage. It is highly detrimental for unborn child's brain, kidneys and nervous system. It can also lead to learning or behaviour problems.
At very high levels, lead poisoning can even lead to death.
What are the healthier alternatives of Maggi?
- Chana Masala
- Mac and cheese
- Oats Chilla
- Dahi Vada
- Chinese Bhel
- Chapati Noodles
There would be very few people around who do not like Maggi or have not been having it for years. But the company should also pay attention to the health of its consumers. After the apex court has asked, why should children have Maggi noodles with lead, the company probably should start manufacturing the product without any lead content in it. It will not force anyone to remove their favourite food from their diet.
It wouldn't be wrong to call him one of the finest dialogue writers and most versatile actors Bollywood had ever seen. Yes, we are talking about Kader Khan who breathed his last in a Canada-based hospital on Monday evening. He was 81-years-old.
He was reportedly suffering from Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP), a degenerative disease that leads to loss of balance, difficulty in walking and dementia.
The superstar of his generation might have been away from films for a decade or so, but his contributions to the careers of some of the biggest superstars (including Amitabh Bachchan) as well as the industry will never be forgotten.
His dialogues, comic timing and flawless dialogue delivery were the reasons which enabled the trio of David Dhawan, Govinda and Kader Khan to rule over the industry during the '90s with their comedy movies.
He excelled at every task he was assigned, be it dialogue writing, playing negative characters or tickling the funny bone of the audiences. He was brilliant at everything, but his comic roles are something that will be revered forever.
No one can deny, 'laughter' has a direct connection with our overall health.
Discussed below are the reasons why we must take some time out for enjoying ourselves and laughing out loud to optimise our health:
- Normalises Blood Pressure: It is scientifically proven that laughter helps in normalising blood pressure levels. It reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Decreases Stress Hormone Levels: Laughter cuts down stress hormones which ultimately reduces anxiety and stress that affect our daily living. Reduction in stress hormones also improves your immune system.
- Works Your Abs: Another benefit of laughter that may drag your attention is that it tones your abs. At the time of laughing, the stomach muscles expand and contract, similar to when you intentionally exercise your abs. At the same time, the muscles you are not using to laugh, get some time to relax. Hence, adding laughter to your daily routine can make abs toning even more enjoyable.
- Improves Cardiac Health: Laughter produces great benefits for cardiac health. It especially helps those who are not able to workout due to an injury or ailment. It also helps in heart pumping and burns similar amount of calories per hour as walking at a slow or moderate speed does.
- Boosts T-Cells: T-cells are specialised immune system cells that keep waiting to be activated. At the time of laughing, you activate your T-cells that help in combating sickness. So, when you see a cold coming on, just start chuckling to prevent any further ailments.
- Helps In Releasing Endorphins: Endorphins are the natural painkillers of the body. Our body releases endorphins when we laugh which reduced chronic pain and makes you feel good all over.
- Gives A Sense Of Well-being: Laughter increases our overall sense of well-being. Doctors have found out that people have a positive mindset tend to fight diseases better than people having a negative outlook on life.
Hence, laughter plays a great role in your overall well-being. The legendary Kader Khan might have passed away but will always stay alive in the hearts of people whom he made laugh with his crafty and remarkable work.
In a saddening development, the health of renowned Bollywood actor Kader Khan has deteriorated further and he has been put on BiPAP ventilator at a hospital in Canada. He was recently diagnosed with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP), a rare disease of the nervous system.
PSP affects your vision and your ability to think clearly. Your vision is affected because your eye movement becomes restricted; your movements become uncontrolled and clumsy. This disease is dangerous, with the ultimate potential to turn lethal.
Although, not much is known about the disease, learning more about the causes, symptoms and treatment of the same can help you get a clear idea of PSP.
Causes: Why would you develop PSP?
The clear causes of this disease are yet unknown. However, a genetic system of transmission has not been proven yet. In the brains of people having this disease, a protein called tau exists in abnormally large quantities. The symptoms of the condition have similarity with those of Alzheimer's. However, the link between the two is yet to be investigated.
Symptoms: When to understand you have PSP?
Following are the signs-
- Difficulty moving
- Loss of balance
- You may fall, and be rendered unable to walk alone
- You may have trouble opening your eyes, or swallowing
- You may become increasingly sensitive to the light
- You may lose interest in your once-favourite pastimes
- You may have strange reactions to stimuli, like laughing and crying without reason
Treatment: What to do to manage the symptoms?
No known cure for this condition is there, and therefore, you have to try to control the symptoms so your lifestyle is not impaired. There are several ways to go about the process. They are -
Using medicines for Parkinson’s disease - This may provide a temporary solution, lasting 2-3 years, for some patients. These medicines increase the quantity of brain dopamine, which in turn facilitates better decision-making and movement.
Using customized spectacles - Bi-focal or prism glass lenses help PSP patients see better, and recover some of the eye functions they lost due to the disease.
Using movement therapy - These techniques, centring on your daily lifestyle at home or in the workplace, help you deal with the condition better. You can also learn techniques for smoother swallowing, as swallowing becomes more difficult as your disease progresses.
Using a BiPAP ventilator - Bi-level positive airway pressure (BiPAP) ventilators are a common and effective way to manage the symptoms of the disease. It is one of the most common variants of non-invasive ventilation techniques. Non-invasive ventilation refers to the type of ventilation that does not take the help of an external, potentially harmful to the internal organs (invasive) breathing pathway. It is heavily used for patients with severe respiratory failure.
PSP is a disease that can have complications that are difficult to manage. While the condition cannot be cured completely, you can manage the symptoms with prompt recognition and immediate treatment. Keep an eye on the symptoms mentioned above, and decide on a method of treatment beforehand!
If you are diabetic, you must have been going for empty stomach blood cholesterol tests to know the sugar level in your body. If this is true, you should be worried as a new study claims that this habit causes more harm than good.
Diabetic people have a higher level of bad cholesterol in their bodies, which leads to excessive fat in the arteries. Due to the same reason, doctors suggest the patients to go for regular blood cholesterol tests.
As per the orthodox guidelines, the patients are recommended not to consume anything except water, as it may affect the results. The new study, however, claims that this is not necessary and may be harmful in some cases.
The study conducted by specialists at Michigan State University in East Lansing claims that fasting before a blood cholesterol test may boost the blood sugar level, or hypoglycemia, in the patients who take insulin.
Fasting leads to FEEHD:
The study was conducted on over 500 diabetes patients in Michigan. In the study, the specialists found out that the people with diabetes were more prone to face fasting-evoked en route hypoglycemia (FEEHD) if they fasted before going for blood cholesterol test.
In this condition, the blood sugar levels become very low, which leads to faintness, confusion and dizziness. These problems become so severe that people can experience life-threatening conditions when outside their home.
Updating of guidelines:
The experts at the Michigan State University say that fasting before the blood cholesterol test is a guideline which was set back in the 1970s, and the doctors in Canada and most European countries no longer use it.
It is time for Indian doctors too to amend the guidelines before a blood cholesterol test while suffering from diabetes to ensure good health of their patients.
When it comes to children, especially babies, milk is the most important source of nutrition. During the initial years of growth, it is commonly recommended that the baby fed breast milk because it contains the correct mixture of calories as well as nutrients. Breast milk is extremely beneficial for the overall growth of the baby.
If both the parents are in favour, mother's milk can be substituted with cow's milk after the child turns 2-year-old. However, most often parents feel hesitant to make the shift to cow's milk because of the circulation of a number of myths.
Myths about Cow's Milk-
- It is bad for the heart as it increases the chances of cardiovascular disorders.
- Cow's milk will make you fat. Whether you decide to have skim milk or whole milk, the amount of consumption will determine if you are going to put on weight.
- Milk is inflammatory. Quite the contrary, because milk provides protection against inflammation, so those who suffer likely do so because they are lactose intolerant or have allergies.
These myths, needless to say, are not true entirely and the benefits of cow's milk are enormous.
- Source of Calcium - Cow's milk contains calcium, which is very important in the development of bones, muscle growth and teeth. Cow's milk is also a good source of vitamin D, which aids further in the absorption of calcium. Sufficient amount of vitamin D and calcium help in the formation of strong bones and reduces the chances of fractures arising out of osteoporosis or osteomalacia in the later phase of life.
- Helps in Growth - Cow's milk is a natural source of growth factors similar to insulin as well as growth hormones.
- For the Heart - Cow's milk comes enriched with a good amount of healthy fats that aid in keeping the blood pressure under control. Cow’s milk, which contains calcium will not only help in the formation of strong bones but also lower in the chances of hypertension. This is done by keeping the vessels of blood elastic.
- Pack Up on Proteins - Cow's milk comes packed with protein that gives a nice blend of amino acids.
- Vitamins - Cow's milk is loaded with vitamins that include retinol and vitamin B complex. Vitamin A helps in the well-being of the eyes and vitamin B ensures the good functioning of the nervous system as well as the brain.
The nutritional benefits of cow's milk are numerous. It is the best substitute for breast milk in the developing years of your child so it is time you debunk the myths associated with it. However, if your child suffers from lactose intolerance, then it is better to consult a paediatrician.
Having our cup of tea, the first thing in the morning is a habit most of the Indians have cultivated. Earlier, this tea used to be our traditional masala tea, with an added pinch of Ginger. In recent times, Green Tea seems to be replacing our age-old 'adrak wali chai', due to its supposed health benefits.
If you are also planning to switch to Green Tea and instantly lose weight, then we are sorry to disappoint you; it doesn’t work.
Celebrity nutritionists like Mumbai based Rujuta Diwekar and the nutritionist of actor Kareena Kapoor Khan have come out strongly against Green Tea. According to them, it is the business community which is benefiting from Green Tea and not the consumer.
Before we start talking about Ginger Tea, let's debunk some of the common myths around Green Tea.
Myths About Green Tea
It Melts Abdominal Fat
Whenever a person takes a food that consumes more energy to burn than its own energy content, it burns some fat. There is nothing special in Green Tea to accelerate this process.
It Boosts Metabolism
An index of the Basal Metabolic Rate is the proportion of lean mass, which means muscle. There is no study which has proved that drinking Green Tea can enhance muscles. The only way to enhance muscles is to exercise.
It Helps Lose Weight
Sure, it can, but so can unsweetened beverages like fruit juices, fresh fruit, lots of water, tea or coffee without sugar.
It Brings Down the Risk of Cancer
Both Ginger Tea and Green Tea contain antioxidants that can fight cancer. In fact, if one substitutes Green Tea with Ginger Tea or with tons of vegetables, he/she can derive the same benefits.
Now that we know that almost everything around Green Tea is just a fad, let’s see the benefits of Ginger Tea, that our grandparents seemed to be so knowledgeable about.
Benefits of Ginger Tea:
Ginger Tea Improves Stomach Performance
Ginger is very helpful in improving digestion. It also increases the absorption of the food. However, if the person is allergic to ginger, it may cause irritation or rashes in the mouth or stomach.
Ginger Tea Helps Reduce Inflammation
Ginger being an anti-inflammatory vegetable helps reduce the inflammation in many problems like Arthritis and joint problems. So, drinking Ginger Tea a day is very beneficial for our muscles.
Improves Blood Circulation:
Ginger contains minerals, vitamins, and amino acids that help to improve and restore the blood circulation of the body. Ginger Tea can also reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems. It also prevents the deposition of fat in the arteries and decreases the chance of getting a heart attack.
Ginger Fights Against Respiratory Problems
It is a common fact that ginger is very helpful when someone is suffering from cold or cough. Ginger tea provides a relief from congestion in the nasal cavity during common cold.
So, Should We Drink a Lot of Ginger Tea?
Now that you are totally sold on Ginger Tea, don’t rush to grab a cup of it. Excess of everything is bad, and the same goes for Ginger Tea. Don’t intake more than 4 grams of ginger in a day, and don’t take more than 3-4 tea/coffee daily. Also, refrain from having tea as the first thing when you wake up, or the last thing before going to bed.
If you have a closet full of Green Tea, we are sorry to have disheartened you. All's not lost, though. Put all the Green Tea in a big cooking pot, add water, bring it to boil, and then throw all of that in the toilet and see all the stains go away.
Now, go out, get some ginger, and enjoy the refreshing Ginger Tea taste that you have always known and loved.
A few days ago, Sara Ali Khan confessed on a popular talk show that she suffers from Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOD) which was the reason behind her sudden weight gain. She went on to explain that she has had to struggle a lot to battle PCOD and keep her weight under control. A starlet speaking up about PCOD has brought everyone’s attention to a disorder that affects 1 out of every 10 women in India. About a million women in India are diagnosed with PCOD every year.
What exactly is PCOD?
A hormonal imbalance or a system disorder triggers Polycystic Ovarian Disorder. Any woman under the age of 40 who has diabetes or a family history of diabetes has a high risk of getting PCOD. The ovaries become enlarged and cysts develop in the ovaries because of the presence of excess amounts of the male hormone androgen. PCOD is dangerous because it also impacts insulin levels and fertility.
What are the symptoms of PCOD?
The most common symptoms of PCOD are-
• Irregular menstrual cycle followed by lack of ovulation which might make it difficult for women to conceive
• Excess hair growth in a male pattern because of the secretion of androgen
• Weight gain and obesity
• Uterine bleeding
• Break-out of acne
Further complications linked to PCOD:
PCOD can lead to a number of other ailments-
• PCOD makes you insulin resistant so women with PCOD have a higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes
• Blood diagnosis of women with PCOD reveals abnormal levels of C-Reactive proteins blood lipids. These are predictors of coronary artery disorders.
• Because of PCOD cholesterol tends to deposit in the arteries of the heart and increase the risk of cardiac problems
How is PCOS diagnosed?
If you show the symptoms of PCOD, your doctor will order you to undergo blood tests to determine if male hormones like DHEA or testosterone are causing an imbalance. Your thyroid and adrenal gland’s secretions are also evaluated with a blood test. An ultrasound test can reveal if there are cysts in your ovaries.
Treatment of PCOD:
Since PCOD is caused by hormonal imbalance, the most popular course of treatment is hormone therapy to restore the balance of hormones and inhibit the secretion of male hormones. The type of treatment takes into account the age of the patient.
Doctors can prescribe birth control pills to help regulate menstruation. Or, you might simply be given progesterone pills to normalise your periods. Medication also aims to treat the other complications caused by PCOD. Therefore, you will be given medicines that will-
• Control type 2 diabetes
• Lower your insulin resistance
• Lower your blood pressure and blood cholesterol to keep your heart healthy.
How can you prevent the onset of PCOD?
The best way to prevent PCOD is to adopt a healthy lifestyle characterized by a proper diet and exercise. Here are some tips that will help-
• Maintain a normal body weight. Work out regularly to lose weight. Weight loss can lower androgen levels and reduce insulin resistance.
• Live an active life, which can help keep your blood pressure in check.
• Avoid smoking or consuming alcohol
• Your diet should consist of whole grains, high fibre fruits and vegetables.
• A vegetable that has anti-inflammatory properties like turmeric, spinach, walnut or tomatoes.
• Lean proteins like chicken
PCOD can take a toll on your body and psyche but with medication, a careful diet and exercise you can live a normal healthy life.
After exceeding all expectations in 2017, the Indian Women’s Cricket Team is making India proud once again with their extraordinary and remarkable performance in ICC Women's World T20, 2018-19.
As everyone knows, the Indian Women’s Cricket Team reached the finals in England in 2017 but missed the chance of lifting the trophy by a whisker. Everyone in the team from Punam Raut, Smriti Mandhana, Veda Krishnamurthy, Deepti Sharma, Harmanpreet Kaur, to skipper Mithali Raj, etc. played a crucial part in India’s journey to the 2017 Women’s CWC final.
In the ongoing ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2018, Indian players are performing phenomenally with their skills in batting, bowling and fielding. Harmanpreet Kaur, India’s captain, is the only cricketer to have scored a T20 century in the ongoing series. Poonam Yadav, one of the best spinners in the Indian team, took 8 wickets for India in this series until now. Also, RP Yadav is performing astoundingly and has taken 7 wickets for India so far. India is also one of the top rankers for highest team runs in the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2018.
These players work hard to be fit and perform well in the matches.
How Do Indian Women Cricketers Keep Themselves Fit?
The Indian Women’s Cricket Team members train hard. Their ability with direct throws and agility has increased remarkably over the years. Apart from net sessions, they undergo various exercises and training that help build stamina, power and agility. Some of them are listed below:
Cricket is a sport that requires building strength, flexibility and stamina. Bowling, Sprinting, or hitting may look effortless, but they require a lot of stamina building and strength building workouts. Weight training and compound training like burpees, lunges, squats, pull-ups, push-ups, etc. help to build stability, enhance flexibility, better posture, and strength.
Endurance Training like HIIT, sprinting, functional training, circuit training, cycling, biking, jump squats, jogging, etc. helps to increase energy levels, prevent injuries, and improve performance.
Core exercises help maintain consistent performance and delivery. It ensures the overall balance of the body and helps in fast recovery from injuries. Some of the Core trainings are planks, crunches, Russian twists, leg raises, sit-ups, alternate superman, trunk rotation, hanging leg raises, etc.
Flexibility plays an important role in cricket. Flexibility helps in fielding, lessen the chances of injuries, remove stiffness and tension in the muscles.
Their Diet Plan includes:
5-8 meals a day.
More lean protein.
Vegetable and Fruit based Carbohydrates.
Balanced amount of fat.
Enough water to keep the body hydrated.
High-calorie sweets, processed foods, fried foods, and red meats are avoided.
Most Common Injuries Sports Persons Suffer From
These high-intensity training regimens come with their own fair share of sports-related injuries. Some of the Common injuries’ women sportsperson may suffer are:
Rotator Cuff Injury
Lower Back Pains
How Can Women Cricketers Keep These Injuries at Bay?
To avoid injuries, women cricketers need to take some preventive measures while playing the cricket, like one should always wear a helmet, mouthguard, shoes, protective gear, body padding including leg pads, forearm guards, gloves, etc.
Sports and fitness are very important for women. Not only it keeps them physically healthy but provides mental exercise as well. They can choose a fitness regime to follow based on their own comfort level. And if they participate in some sports, it is important to wear the necessary safety gear.