Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Ernakulam and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Flexible Partial Dentures Procedure
Acrylic Dentures Procedure
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
I have mouth ulcers problem from many days I get that frequently please help me out from here I tried many tablets but none effected.
Negatively altered tooth shape or color affects not just the aesthetics, but also the person’s social image and self confidence. It can convert them into introverts who shy away from socialization. Teeth can lose their shape or color due to various reasons from hypo mineralized teeth, to food/tobacco stains, to fractures, trauma or tooth decay. If you are looking for a brilliant white smile with the perfect shape and alignment then veneers have the inherent ability of correcting all minor dental flaws creating a near perfect result.
A Veneer like its namesake is a thin perfectly shaped extension of tooth colored material which maybe composite , ceramic or a combination of the two. While composite resin veneers are fabricated over the affected tooth in a single sitting, the porcelain veneer requires taking impressions and the veneers are fabricated in the lab, which are then fixed on the tooth.
Veneers also help correct minor discolorations and mildly mishapen teeth. The choice of using composite or porcelain depends on a number of factors. Composite resin has a big advantage of reversibility. If the end result is not very satisfactory, then the entire restoration can be removed and a new veneer can be applied. With porcelains, the biggest advantage is their excellent resistance to staining. Even with long term use of coffee and tea, the chances of staining the porcelain veneers would be minimal.
Some of the properties of composite include:
- Requires less tooth reduction than a porcelain, thereby saving more natural tooth structure
- The material is extremely plastic and resinous, allowing sufficient working time for the dentist to achieve the desired shape and size of the veneer
- It is slightly porous and therefore, has a tendency to absorb water over a period of time and take in some stain
- Should be polished extremely well to achieve the natural looks
- May require replacement after about 3 to 5 years
- Can be done in one dental clinic visit
Some of the unique characteristics of porcelain include:
- The result of a well-done porcelain veneer produces an extremely natural looking tooth
- The best advantage of porcelain is that it is not porous and therefore once it is glazed, does not stain over a period of time. The typical discoloration around the edges of the veneers seen in composite restorations is not seen with porcelain veneers
- These veneers therefore last longer than the composite resin veneers
- They are more expensive compared to the composite resin veneers.
- They require at least 2-3 dental visits
The choice of the material for veneer and the result would depend ultimately on the patient’s aesthetic requirements and overall oral health maintenance. Having a detailed discussion with the dentist will help in choosing the right material and getting the maximum benefit out of it. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dentist and ask a free question.
I am 23 years old. One of my friend have a problem. When he start speaking bad smell is come out from his mouth. Guide how to avoid it?
I have had braces since 8 months now I see I had a V shape face now its started looking U and my chin to U and small. I had posterior crossbite and overbite. What should i do now?
My teeth are yellow in colour. And also some black spots. What I have to do to remove yellowish on my teeth?
We have put together a list of 25 tips for good oral health, to keep you smiling throughout.
We will be sending you one tip a day. Here comes the first one
1. Clean in between your teeth using interdental brushes or floss. This will help to clean a higher portion of tooth and prevent buildup of plaque.
How to free from sudden tooth pains? It pains when drinking water and sleeping and there is a gap between teeth.
A generation ago, we would not see so many adolescents with braces as we do currently. Orthodontics, the branch of dentistry involved in the use of braces to align and move teeth to form that perfect arch, has seen rapid advancements in the past few decades and continues to grow at a rapid pace.
The fundamental principle is that the teeth is held in place by surrounding elastic tissues, and minor constant forces can be applied to align them better. Small metal brackets are applied on the teeth and a wire is passed through them so that there is a constant force on the teeth. The amount and direction of force is managed by the doctor. The younger the age, the more elastic the tissue is, the easier it is to move teeth.
There are two main things to understand in terms of your options, relation of age with orthodontic treatment and the choices of braces.
Firstly, correlation with age. Over the years, more people in their 20s and early 30s are choosing to have braces. Though the teeth and more importantly the surrounding periodontium become less elastic with age, the amount of force exerted is increased and therefore tooth movement is enabled. Also, in older patients, tooth removal may be required more frequently to make space for proper alignment.
Secondly, the choices of the braces:
- In the earlier days, bands were placed around the teeth and a wire was then connecting all these bands to enable tooth movement. Gradually, this made way to small brackets being placed on the front surface of the teeth, and a wire running through it and elastic bands connecting the bracket and the wire. This is the most effective way of moving teeth, though not esthetic. To make it look different, the ligatures could be colored.
- For people who are constantly in the public eye, the metal braces were a deterrent and so lingual braces became popular. The brackets are applied on the inner surface of the teeth and are not seen easily. The amount of force here varies from the earlier one, and not all conditions can be treated by this method.
- The next development was the development of ceramic braces, which are also applied to the front surface of the teeth and can be used in most cases. These are more expensive than the metallic braces.
- Removable aligners is another option, which are trays which need to be worn for close to 18 hours a day to induce tooth movement. This is esthetic and no metal shows during talking or smiling.
So, if you want to improve your smile, visit your dentist and find out how!
Hi, i'm 26 years old and off late I could fine yellowish in my tooth, how do I prevent it from decaying?
A very interesting thing, that most people would have noticed during their visit to the clinic is the white light that is used on the teeth. This is laser light, which is used extensively over the last couple of decades in dentistry for a variety of treatments. The following are some procedures where laser is commonly used.
Whitening teeth: In-office bleaching is done by applying the whitening agent on the tooth and activating it by laser light. This instant result is whiter teeth and a brighter smile.
Caries: In some cases, laser light is used to remove the decayed portion of the tooth and shape the surrounding healthy tooth to receive the restorative material.
Restorations: When composite resins are used to fill the space left by tooth decay, the decayed portion is removed and the enamel etched to improve adhesion. The composite material is then filled in the tooth space to achieve the desired shape and then light-cured.
Veneers: Where a thin layer of the existing tooth is removed to provide a whiter tooth, then laser light is used. These chemicals are inactive and only become activated when exposed to laser light. In cases of both restorations and veneers, one big advantage is it gives sufficient working time for the dentist to shape the material to the desired form and then activate it.
Gingivitis: Laser is also used in gum diseases where bacteria are removed and the gums are reshaped. Using laser on the root surfaces ensures better removal of the hardened calculus and promotes gum reattachment of the gums to the tooth surfaces.
Root canal therapy: In the root spaces, if there was an infection, laser light can help remove the bacteria before filling up the root canal with gutta percha.
Soft tissue biopsy or lesion removal: Biopsies of the lips, gums, and tongue can be done using laser light. If the lesions are too small and require removal, it can be done by laser, thereby avoiding the need for surgery
Results: In all the above procedures, the laser is more effective than the conventional method that it is replacing. Some advantages include:
Anesthesia not required
Avoids tooth drilling in some cases of very minor decay, so patient is at ease
Reduces bleeding and swelling when dealing with soft tissues
Reduces the amount of tooth removal during cavity preparation
Not all situations can be managed with a laser treatment though and conventional biopsies and drills will be required in some cases. As with all other dental situations, a detailed discussion with the dentist on the pros and cons and the patient condition will help make an informed decision.