Lybrate.com has top trusted Dietitian/Nutritionists from across India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Ms. Kavita Devgan Devgan
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Child Nutrition Management
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Nutrition Assessment Service
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Submit a review for Dt. Ms. Kavita Devgan DevganYour feedback matters!
Hi I am a diabetic n take insulin but still my sugar level shoots up even if I eat anything . Kindly suggest what to do.
Is there any medicine for treatment of chickengunia. Do s and don't do s may please indicate if the chickengunia level is 2.91 against the normal of 1.8.
I am Keerthi 32 years female and my weight is about 75kgs. How to decrease my over weight by home made tips?
Hi sir my dad is suffering with diabetes yesterday he went for testing report is 356 so send immediate solution for this soon.
48 yrs old male, having busy in official works through the day, getting over weight, an odd belly, losing pace in movement: please advice.
Over the years, a sizeable number of people have expressed their affinity for brown rice as the healthier alternative to plain rice. Doctors are growingly recommending brown rice to all those, who are keen on losing kilos or keeping type 2 diabetes in arrest. Brown rice essentially undergoes less processing as compared to white rice, hence it retains all the essential nutrients. Brown rice contains the side hull and bran and consequently, it helps in replenishing the crucial body nutrients like proteins, thiamine, calcium, magnesium, fiber and potassium. The growing popularity of brown rice not only stems from its nutritive values, but also from the myriad healthy diet options that revolve around it. Unlike white rice, brown rice does not require artificial fortifications like synthetic vitamins in order to conform to the required standards of FDA. Brown rice enables you to enjoy the health benefits without compromising on the taste of rice. Brown rice is advantageous for not just the fitness fanatics, but is also the preferred meal for those with specialized dietary preferences like vegans.
Some of the rationale for consumption of brown rice are listed as follows:
- Controls insulin spike: Brown rice has extremely low glycemic rating because of which the blood sugar level in our body can be adequately controlled. While plain rice enhances the risk of developing diabetes, brown rice goes a long way in nullifying the glucose fluctuations in our body.
- High in fiber: Brown rice is one of the most important sources of essential body fibers. It helps in preventing colon cancer by supplying the necessary fibers and it also detoxifies the colon walls by eliminating the cancer causing substances from the body.
- Promotes weight loss: Brown rice regulates the bowel movements and thereby stimulates better metabolism. It is also considered to be one of the most wholesome dietary supplements because it remains a whole grain, unlike plain rice. Therefore, it is one of the most opted for food items for those wishing to lose the extra kilos.
- Rich in salts and naturally occurring oils: Brown rice is rich in body salts like selenium and manganese, which nourish your nervous and reproductive systems, thereby reducing the occurrence of diseases like cancer, arthritis and other cardiovascular syndromes.
- Ideal as baby food: Given that brown rice is replete in necessary body fibers and health boosting nutrients, it is ideal for baby food because it promotes fast growth in babies and also averts any nutrition deficiency diseases. It also protects the baby from any synthetic vitamins that emerge from the consumption of white rice.
Hi, my age is 21 and my body is very heat body I need to gain weight im trying it for past two years but I could not able to gain weight so please give me some suggestions.
There are many food items which would become stale after a few hours, but there are certain foods which may last forever without the need to can them or freeze or dehydrate. If an individual is new to the field of food storage, these staples can be an excellent way to begin.
- White rice: There are numerous researchers who have found that polished or white rice keeps up their nutrient content and flavour for almost 30 years if it can be stored in oxygen-free containers in temperatures that range below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Brown rice, on the other hand, doesn’t last more than six months owing to the availability of natural oils in the bran layer.
- Honey: Honey is preferably the only food that would last forever due to the perfect chemistry and the handiwork of the bees. The nectar extracted from the flower gets mixed with the enzymes present in the bees’ bodies which alter the composition of the nectar. The nectar is further broken down into simple sugars and is accumulated in the honeycombs. The processing, as well as sealing of the honey, is primarily responsible for the incredible shelf life.
- Salt: Since sodium chloride is a mineral which is taken from the natural components of the earth, its shelf-life should come as a natural consequence. It is used for centuries as a means of preserving other food products as it can extract out all the moisture. But this doesn’t indicate that the table salt would last forever. Experts say that the addition of the iodine to the table salt reduces the shelf life of the salt which means that if the label says that it is an iodized salt, it will not last over five years.
- Soy sauce: When left unopened, a container filled with soya sauce would last for a significantly long period. But it is also dependent on the type of soy sauce and the additives used. Even if the soy sauce has been opened, this salty condiment will last for many years if stored in the refrigerator.
- Sugar: Quite similar to many items, the storage process of the sugar determines whether the sugar is going to last for long or not. Granulated and powdered sugar must be kept under an airtight condition to steer clear of moisture. Although retailers are needed to provide the manufacturing dates of the sugar, manufacturers say that the sugar remains edible even if it has hardened and become brown.
- Pure maple syrup: Pure maple syrup, as well as commercial sugars such as granular sugars and honey, has an irresistible life owing to its shield against any kinds of microbial growth. Unopened maple syrup shall last forever, and in case there is the formation of mould, boiling it to a certain degree and skimming the surface and ultimately pouring it to a clean and air-tight container would eliminate all the problems.
- Clarified butter: This kind of butter is boiled unless the total moisture is extracted, which is the reason that it doesn’t go bad. As long as the clarified butter or ghee is stored in sealed container under cool temperature, it would last for about 100 years. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
I need a suggestion about the body building. I tried many gainer bt there is no benefit. Can you suggest one best.
I am diabetic since August last year and taking some ayurveda pills since then. I am talking half litre milk everyday. Is it good or bad? If good should I increase intake? If bad what's substitute for it?
Talk about nutrition and carbs, proteins and fats come to the mind immediately. However, these are the macronutrients and are not the only group of nutrients. More important are the micronutrients, comprising of a group of very important substances known as minerals and vitamins. Read on to know the most important vitamins and minerals that your body needs and the role they play.
- Vitamin A: Essential for healthy eyes, general growth and development and glowing skin. These are found in carrots, sweet potatoes and oranges.
- Vitamin B: These are essential for iron absorption, improved immunity and production of energy. Whole grains and unprocessed foods and vegetables like lentils, potatoes, bananas, yeast and molasses are good sources of these vitamins.
- Vitamin C: Required for iron absorption, blood clotting, elastic skin and antioxidant function. Found in good amounts in citrus fruits, guava, kiwi, grapefruits, strawberries, etc.
- Vitamin D: Extremely important for bone development, these are found in eggs, mushrooms and fish.
- Vitamin E: It improves the blood circulation and reduces free radicals, which is essential for cancer protection. Almonds, nuts, tomatoes and sunflower seeds are good sources of vitamin E.
- Vitamin K: It is very essential for the process of blood coagulation, these are found in spinach, broccoli, kale and other green vegetables.
- Iron: Very essential ingredient for blood formation and muscle building, clams, oysters, soybeans, lentils and spinach are great sources of iron.
- Calcium: Most important ingredient, as it helps in the formation of teeth and bones, dairy products, tofu and cheese are very good sources.
- Zinc: A key ingredient essential for overall growth, immunity and fertility, spinach, beans, oysters and dark chocolate carry a good amount of Zinc.
- Folic acid: Essential for iron absorption, cell regeneration, and in pregnancy for healthy development of the baby. Green leafy vegetables, asparagus, peas, seeds, nuts, lentils, beets, corn, etc. are good sources.
Trace minerals like iodine, manganese, copper, fluoride, selenium and chromium are also essential but in very small amounts. While these are not the only essential vitamins and minerals, these are the most important ones. The quantities of these substances required on a daily basis are very small, but critical for functions listed above. In addition, some of them also help in releasing free radicals, which provides protection against cancer and chronic inflammation. This helps prevent chronic health conditions like heart disease, diabetes and stroke.
An important point to consider is while there are multiple supplements available in the market today to make sure you get all of these nutrients, try to eat a wholesome meal and get these through natural sources to the maximum extent possible. The natural foods are the best source, and supplements should be used only when these cannot be obtained naturally.