Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Versha
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. VershaYour feedback matters!
Without any gynae disorders if we take medicine like stimofol for conceiving, these tablets can cause any hormonal imbalance in normal.
My wife is 32 weeks pregnant. After 3rd sonography. Report reveals that. Both Kidneys reveal mild pyleactasis and bladder report normal. What we should do now. Is there any kind of worry?
I often have irregular periods but now from 4 months my period is missing. I Had sex in between April and also my last periods were ended on 15 april. Now I have low rbc count. What should I take so I get period instantly?
I'm a 17 years old female. I always get my periods either 1 week late or 1 week early. I actually visited my doctor and she told me to attend some tests. All the reports were normal but still my periods are not regular. I'm very much worried. I don't understand what to do? Can you please help me?
Are you experiencing abnormal uterine bleeding? The term Abnormal uterine bleeding is used when the menstrual period doesn't conform to normal pattern. Any menstrual cycle, which has interval of less than 21 days or longer than 35 days, the duration is less than 2 days or more than 7 days, the flow is more or less than normal and there is bleeding apart from the menstrual period is an abnormal form of uterine bleeding.
Causes of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding:
The various causes of abnormal uterine bleeding are as follows:
- One of the main causes is hormonal imbalance, as the balance between female hormones, estrogen and progesterone gets disrupted. This balance is required for the regulation and development of endometrium (lining of uterus). Proper development of endometrium is disrupted because of the hormonal imbalance resulting in abnormal bleeding.
- Uterine fibroids, which are non cancerous tumours, may lead to prolonged and excessive uterine bleeding.
- Polyps are small benign developments on the uterus lining which cause abnormal bleeding. They mostly occur because of hormonal imbalance.
- Adenomyosis is a condition which develops when the endometrial glands get embedded in the uterine muscle, leading to excessive uterine bleeding and pain during menstruation.
- Using intrauterine devices or IUDs also may cause abnormal uterine bleeding. Uterine cancers, ovarian cancers and cervical conditions may be responsible as well.
- Inherited bleeding disorder is another likely cause.
- Several drugs e.g. some painkillers, drugs used to curb inflammation and drugs used in coagulation disorders can cause abnormal uterine bleeding.
- Medical conditions such as pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, liver and kidney disease or thyroid problems can also cause abnormal uterine bleeding.
- One should exclude Ectopic pregnancy during management of Abnormal uterine bleeding.
Treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding, depends upon the cause of bleeding and the patient’s age.
- Medications: Several medicines are used for the treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding. Hormonal medicines and birth control pills are used to improve the regularity of periods. There are some haemostatic drugs which can be used to manage excessive uterine bleeding.
- Surgery: In many cases, a woman has to undergo a surgery for the removal of polyps and fibroids, which cause excessive bleeding. Certain fibroids are removed via hysteroscopy. Other methods are by laparoscopy and by laparotomy ( by opening of abdomen).
- Endometrial ablation: Endometrial ablation can be carried out to manage the bleeding. This treatment aims at permanent reduction of the excess bleeding. Hysterectomy has to be carried out when other treatments are unsuccessful. This is a major surgery and after it, a woman will no longer have periods.
In case of abnormal uterine bleeding, you must consult a doctor as soon as possible. This will enable early treatment and prevent the development of further complications.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hey doc! I am pregnant and not able to eat in enough quantity anything. What should I do? Feel to weak to not eat enough food. Had 1 daughter so I have to look after her also. Please suggest me so I can be active.
During pregnancy, hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism become very common. The thyroid gland is an endocrine gland that is situated in the anterior portion of the neck. Its function is to produce hormones that regulate the body’s metabolism, weight, temperature of the body and the nervous system.
If you experience thyroid complications during pregnancy, you will require medical attention. In some cases, pregnancy may cause you to experience symptoms that are similar to hypothyroidism (low production of the thyroid hormone). Thus, if you exhibit symptoms such as weight loss, vomiting and frequent palpitations, do not let them go untreated.
In case of hyperthyroidism (excessive secretion of the thyroid hormone), the symptoms are unexplained nervousness, irregular heartbeat, slight tremors and nausea. For hypothyroidism (low secretion of the hormone), the symptoms are weight gain, constipation, muscle cramps and an inability to focus on anything.
Hyperthyroidism occurs when the body produces an antibody that stimulates the thyroid gland to overproduce hormones. Hypothyroidism occurs when the immune system of the body starts to attack the thyroid gland, thus causing it to scale down on its hormone production.
If you are suffering from hyperthyroidism, then an anti- thyroid medication is prescribed that helps to limit the production of excess hormones. If this does not work, then surgery may be required to remove the thyroid gland.
In case of hypothyroidism, a synthetic hormone is administered that helps in boosting hormone production. The dosage of the hormone is fixed according to the needs of the body so that it does not interfere with other functions of the body. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.