Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Veena BattYour feedback matters!
As it is rightly said ‘Nutrition starts at Conception’. Diet plays a vital role in physical and mental development of the child right from the conception. An expectant mother must make sure to follow the right diet.
There is much hyped misconception about following healthy dietary habits during pregnancy for benefit of her little one, but that’s untrue. If a to be mother manages to follow a good and nutritionally adequate diet, it will in fact help her as well to achieve healthy weight gain, comfortable child birth and most importantly helping her body to prepare for post-delivery weight loss. A physically and mentally fit mother makes a happy and active child.
By following a healthy and balanced diet throughout her 9 months and 9 days of pregnancy will immensely benefit her unborn. Inclusion of foods from all the food groups will be an added benefit. The following content will help an expectant mother to make wise choices during her pregnancy, making sure she remains healthy throughout.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates form nearly 55 to 60% of total calorie consumption in Indian diets. They are majorly divided into two types i.e. Simple and Complex variants. A child bearer should opt for the complex carbohydrates in form of wholegrains like whole wheat, bajra, sorghum (jowar), finger millet (ragi / nachni), oats, etc. in her diet as they have higher fiber content with preserved vitamins and minerals. Simple carbohydrates majorly include more of refined products (maida, packaged foods), which should be used in limits or avoided throughout the pregnancy phase, as they do not provide any nourishment.
- Proteins: Proteins are said to be the building blocks of the body, involved in steady metabolism and repair of the damaged tissues, making them an integral part of mother’s and baby’s nourishment. Consuming protein rich foods like eggs, low fat dairy, pulses, yogurts, soy and its products at least 3 to 4 times a day, helps optimise the recommended daily allowance (RDA) intake of protein per day. Vegetarian mothers have to be more careful and be innovative to make sure that their protein consumption is not compromised.
- Fats: Fats play an important role in transporting Fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K to liver. Fat intake should not be completely discouraged during pregnancy, since it is a concentrated form of energy and is actively involved in hormone making mechanism in the body. Fat intake is important, but within prescribed limits and there should be insistence on inclusion of good fats. Keeping diet restricted in bakery products, fried foods and junk foods will massively help in preventing inappropriate weight gain and also reducing the possibility of potential risk factors during & post pregnancy. Omega 3 fats present in walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, spinach should be taken as it tremendously helps in mental development of the growing baby.
Macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fats) intake through daily allowance will make sure an expectant mum gets her required nutrition. However, nutrients like Iron, calcium, folic acid, B complex vitamins also play a vital role in maintenance of healthy pregnancy. Daily allowance should be met by consuming green leafy vegetables, nuts, fresh fruits, etc.
Apart from getting daily calories allowance, it is equally important to stay hydrated. Water aids digestion, which helps to keep constipation at bay and also helps in maintaining optimal levels of amniotic fluid in the amniotic sac.
Expectant mother should divide her meals in small and frequent portions to combat acidity, bloating which are most common troubles associated with pregnancy. She should highly be motivated to be physically active and get adequate rest as well.
A special attention should be given to keep salt and sugar intake to minimal, as they contribute to unnecessary weight gain and bloating. They are also known to delay the labour process.
Conclusion / Bottom line
Maternal Nutrition plays a vital role in maintaining a healthy and blissful pregnancy. It is highly recommended to seek nutrition advice from a nutrition expert preferably before planning a child as a healthy diet will help in conception as well as during & post pregnancy.
Hello madam, me mere gf k sath unprotected sex kiya tha, but sperms under nhi gya tha, mene risk nhi liya, or unwanted 72 khila diya within 2 days, fir 8 days baad periods Ho gya tha, lekin uske baad 24 th February ko periods hona tha, lekin aaj 4 th March ho gya usko periods nhi ho rha hai, so madam please help me.
Sir my palm is very hard. Like a rock. If I can shake hand with any person. They said oh. Howz your hand like a rock. Its so hard please explain wht can I do.
लड़कियों में चरम आनंद या आर्गैज़्म
जब किसी लड़की को चरम आनंद महसूस होता है, तो योनि और गुदा के आस-पास पेड़ू तल (पेल्विक फ्लोर) की मांसपेशियां एक साथ लयबद्ध तरीके से सिकुड़ती हैं, तनाव में आती हैं और ढीली पड़ती हैं।
कभी-कभार गर्भाशय भी सिकुड़ता है और फैलता है। इस संकुचन से पेडू़ में बहुत अधिक आनंद महसूस होता है।
कुछ लड़कियां तो यह आनंद अपने पूरे शरीर में महसूस करती हैं। यह चरम आनंद आपके पूरे शरीर को रोमांचित कर सकता है।
एक से अधिक बार आर्गैज़्म
लड़कियां एक साथ एक से अधिक बार आर्गैज़्म महसूस कर सकती हैं, जिनके बीच अंतर बहुत कम हो सकता है। ऐसा इसलिए संभव है क्योंकि आर्गैज़्म के 10 से 15 सेकेंड बाद टिठनी अपने सामान्य आकार में आ जाती है। और यह फिर से उत्तेजना के लिए तैयार हो जाती है। लड़कों को वीर्यपात के बाद सामान्य होने में इससे अधिक देर लगती है।
आर्गैज़्म महसूस करते समय कुछ लड़कियों की योनि से तरल की धार निकलती है। यह पेशाब नहीं होती, बल्कि योनिस्राव योनि का तरल पदार्थ होता है।
लड़कियां किस प्रकार आर्गैज़्म महसूस कर सकती हैं ?
टिठनी को सहलाएं, उदाहरण के तौर पर उसे उंगली से या जीभ से महसूस कर ऐसा किया जा सकता है। अधिकांश लड़कियों को केवल योनि-सेक्स करने से आर्गैज़्म महसूस नहीं होता। क्योंकि योनि तुलनात्मक रूप से कम संवेदनशील होती है, और केवल योनि में लिंग के अंदर-बाहर होने से टिठनी को पर्याप्त उत्तेजना नहीं मिल पाती। उंगली से सहलाना और मुख मैथुन भी देखें।
कुछ लड़कियों में जी-स्पोट भी मौज़ूद होता है। यह, योनि के तीन-पांच सें. मी. अंदर सामने वाली सतह पर सिक्के के आकार का एक क्षेत्र होता है। कुछ लड़कियों के लिए इसका कोई खास महत्व नहीं होता, लेकिन दूसरों के लिए यह विषेश संवेदनशील होता है। इसे उंगली द्वारा या कुछ विशेष आसनों में मैथुन करते समय उत्तेजित किया जा सकता है।
स्तन और सेक्स
स्तन और खासकर उनके निप्पल, छूने के प्रति संवेदनशील होते हैं और आपके उत्तेजित होने पर कड़े तथा बड़े हो जाते हैं। निप्पल के चारों ओर का घेरा फूल जाता है और उनका रंग अधिक गहरा हो जाता है, तथा वहां की चमड़ी ऊबड़-खाबड़ हो जाती है। कई लड़कियों को सेक्स के समय अपने स्तन और निप्पल सहलाया जाना पसंद है। आपके साथी ऐसा करने के लिए अपनी उंगलियों, होठों, जीभ या दांतों का भी प्रयोग कर सकते हैं। जब स्तनों को छुआ जाता है तो उसका असर आपको योनि में महसूस होता है, जिसमें चिकनाई या गीलापन आ जाता है। यदि आपके स्तनों और भग को साथ-साथ छुआ-सहलाया जाए, तो विषेश आनंद महसूस हो सकता है।
सेक्स के बाद की यौन क्रिया
सेक्स करने के बाद एक-दूसरे के पास-पास लेटना, सहलाना और बातें करना अच्छा लगता है। खासकर कई लड़कियों को सेक्स के बाद की जाने वाली यौन क्रिया बहुत ज़रूरी लगती है।
Hi doctor I missed my period about 2 months. Last period is 24.03.2017. I thought its an irregular period. But now june 9 th I checked with the doctor and I take blood test and my hcg level is 27.75 then doctor ytold me to take another one after two days. Now my hcg level is 141. Is this possible after two months of no periods is possible to get pregnant.
I am pregnent. 8 weeks. In torch test rubella igg 62 cmv129 hsv27. But igm -'ve. Can my baby healthy?
I want to do anal sex with my wife. What precautions should I take while doing anal sex with her? And how to do for long time without paining her? Please help me its my dream to do anal sex with my wife plzzz help me doctor.
Folic acid is an important form of vitamin B which women must take during pregnancy. It is a form of man-made vitamin B known as folate. Folate plays a significant role in producing red blood cells and helps in the development of your baby’s neural tube into the brain and spinal cord, preventing any kind of birth defects in your baby. Birth defects of the brain or spinal cord may occur in early stages of pregnancy. Therefore, by the time a woman discovers her pregnancy, it may become too late to prevent the defects.
How much folic acid should be taken?
A woman should start taking folic acid within the first three to four weeks of pregnancy, as birth defects may occur during this time. Women who start taking folic acid a year before getting pregnant produce healthy babies without birth defects.
400 mcg of folic acid is the recommended dose for all women who are of childbearing age and also in the first trimester of pregnancy. Multivitamins with the recommended amount of folate and folic acid supplements are generally prescribed as they help the mother deliver a healthy child. From the fourth to ninth month of pregnancy, the dose must be increased to 600 mcg.
Benefits of Folic Acid-
Without sufficient folic acid in your body, the neural tube of your developing baby may not close properly. This may lead to neural tube defects, which include:
Spina bifida, a condition where the spinal cord or vertebrae develop incompletely. A baby with spina bifida may be disabled permanently.
Anencephaly, a condition that features incomplete development of the brain. Babies affected with anencephaly do not live long.
Having a sufficient supply of folic acid prevents these neural defects from developing in your baby.
Taking folic acid before and during pregnancy protects your baby against many other conditions. They include:
Cleft lip and palate.
Low weight during birth.
Chances of miscarriage.
Folic acid also reduces the risk of developing pregnancy complications in the mother such as heart diseases, stroke, several cancers and Alzheimer’s disease.
Folic acid is naturally found in dark-green vegetables, which you must consume in abundance. Other sources of folic acid include fortified breakfast cereals, beef liver, lentils, egg noodles and great northern beans.
Navratras are celebrated to worship the divine mother through meditation, prayers and chanting. It is not just a religious practice, but a spiritual one too. It coincides, twice a year, with the changing seasons and is a process of rejuvenating our body and mind. This reflects in the foods that are supposed to be consumed during Navratri fasting. Why is that we fast and that certain foods are shunned during the festival while some are encouraged and embraced wholeheartedly? Here we try to deconstruct some aspects related to food and fasting during the festival.
Fasting is an integral part of Navratri, which helps to cleanse our body and rekindle the digestive fires. It gives our digestive system the much-needed rest from the constant overloaded eating habits. We can use this as an opportunity to detoxify our body and break away from the regular dietary pattern.
Traditionally, Navratri foods are wholesome and high on nutrition. Kuttu (buckwheat), which we have been having for ages is being hailed as the new superfood! Along with kuttu, sabudana (tapioca pearls), singhada (water chestnut) and amaranth (rajgiri) are widely used and help bridge the gap created by the absence of wheat and rice. Most of the navratri flours are packed with proteins, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which makes them an ideal substitute for heavy gluten rich grains.
Focus during Navratri should be on foods that are nutrient rich, but still light on our stomach, in keeping with saatvic (pure, simple and fresh) principles. Thus, fruits, juices, dairy products and their preparations are stressed upon. However, when we consume food during this period, we tend to overindulge. We have distorted the cooking techniques such that we load ourselves with fried, high fat foods. This, instead of making our body feel light, tends to bloat it up.
We has put together these simple techniques that one may follow this Navratri, to make the best out of fasting foods:
- Cooking technique: The key to unlocking the nutritional value of food is to cook right- instead of making the usual fried paranthas and pooris, try and make rotis, Kuttu dosas, chilla or pancakes. One can have them with the nourishing Kuttu ki Kadhi. Let’s get innovative and try something new!
- Healthy Snacking: One can easily replace fried chips and namkeens with makhanas that can be roasted at home and seasoned with rock salt, black pepper, chili flakes, etc. to one’s liking. We can also help ourselves to baked potatoes, instead of fried ones. We have also put together a Navratra salad for healthy snacking. To satiate our need for a dessert during fasting try making the pumpkin kheer. These are the small changes that could go a long way to achieving the desired result of cleansing our bodies.
- Keep Hydrated: Kuttu and amaranth being rich in protein need good amount of water for proper digestion. Therefore, it is imperative that we increase our liquid intake for proper elimination of toxins during the process of cleansing. Fruits like water melons, melon, grapes, pomegranates or oranges have high water content. So, try to add 3 different colours of fruits, through the day, to keep you hydrated. Fresh coconut water will also help to keep the ions in balance make us feel light. We also suggest making the bottle gourd punch.
- Conscious Fasting: Navratri not being a rigid fast, people tend to follow it differently. The fast could be only on fruits, liquids, once a day grain or varied. We should take into account our health and lifestyle while deciding on the type/ form of fasting. Special care should be taken by people with health issues like diabetes, hypertension and conditions like pregnancy and lactation.
So, hopefully, armed with the science behind Navratri foods, you would be making better informed choices. This Navratri let us leave the unhealthy cooking habits behind and ensure that food that we eat is tasty and healthy too. Happy Fasting and Healthy Feasting!
I am 47 years old female suffering from menopause stage I think I do not have regular periods even I get it it is very scanty. My two legs are swollen from knee to feet paining if I walk. I have gained weight. What do I do pl doc.
Hi my girlfriend took I pill after 7 hours we had unprotected sex she had her periods after 8 day but only for 2 days with very minimal bleeding and stomachache is there a chance of pregnancy please help.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and infertility are considered synonymous by most. However, the truth is that they are not and there are a lot of treatment options that can lead to pregnancy, even in a lady who is suffering from PCOS.
Reasons PCOS leads to infertility
Women with PCOS have different hormonal pathways than a normal woman without PCOS. It changes the system of how your body produces the eggs and prepares your uterus for pregnancy. Three reasons why women with PCOS do not get pregnant, or why it is difficult for them to maintain pregnancy are:
1. Women who are suffering with PCOS do not ovulate normally.
2. They have irregular periods and thus their monthly cycles are not predictable.
3. As they have irregular periods, their endometrium may not be prepared when the egg is released. Thus, it does not help in sustaining the pregnancy.
Symptoms of PCOS
There are a lot of symptoms that show the hormonal imbalance due to PCOS.
1. Ovarian cysts
2. Excessive amounts of male hormones
3. High levels of insulin
4. Fertility problems
5. Weight gain
6. Ovulation and menstrual problems
7. Excess body and facial hair
9. Anxiety and depression
As there is hormonal imbalance in a woman with PCOS, the eggs may not develop properly, and at the same time, they may not be ready to get fertilized, thus leading to infertility.
PCOS infertility treatment
The good news is that even if you are one of them with PCOS, there are treatments that can help you to get pregnant.
Here are the drugs that help patients with PCOS.
It helps in reducing the insulin levels and stabilizes the hormones. Thus, doctors often prescribe metformin that will help in making the ovulation cycles regular.
Clomid (Clomiphene citrate)
Another fertility drug that helps in conceiving is Clomid. It may be prescribed with or without metformin. When women with PCOS take these two drugs together, their chances of getting treated for PCOS and getting fertile become more. Many women may need a high dose of Clomid so that they can retain fertility.
This medication is necessary for helping you with ovulation as gonadotropins are hormones that stimulate your ovaries to release eggs. When someone is not responding to clomid then this medication may be tried.
If you too are trying to conceive and yet have not succeeded, and can find the symptoms mentioned above, visit your doctor and start the treatment. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
Backache is a very common complaint during pregnancy and a lot of pregnant women believe it is an inevitable part of being pregnant. But if we understand the reasons why it happens, then we can take remedial measures to help ourselves.
1) Majority of backache happens due to wrong posture and improved posturewill reduce the stress on your back. As the pregnancy advances, the growing baby bulk pushes the center of gravity forwards. This enhances the natural curve of the back and puts the back muscles under more stress.
One must try to walk tall and keep the stomach tucked in towards the back (as far as comfortable) while standing and walking. Always bend from your knees and not waist to pick up something from below (even your baby). Avoid sudden twisting movements from the waist,instead turn the whole body sideways to reach the object.
2) Try to improve upon the strength of the back muscles by gradually including theendurance exercises in your daily regimen. One can safely do almost all kinds of exercises till the fifth month of pregnancy but always have a word with your doctor before starting.
3) Always take your supplements (calcium, Vitamin D as prescribed by your doctor because nature tends to draw calcium from mother's bones and divert it towards the baby. So any kind of deficiency will be more harmful for the mother rather than the baby.
4 Use a medium -firm mattress and a good pillow to sleep. Very soft or very firm (Orthopedic) mattresses may not be very comfortable during pregnancy.
5) During early pregnancy one can sleep in any posture including sleeping on your tummy if this makes you more comfortable. After the 6th month of pregnancy it is better to sleep preferably on your side with a small cushion placed between your knees A gentle back massage is very soothing at times. Drink plenty of water and other liquids so you don't have urinary infections or constipation which may also sometimes cause backache.
I am 36. Have a 8 year old kid. I have a regular cycle. I had unprotected sex with my husband on the 6th day. Please let me know if that is the safe period.
Hello doctor, I am in my15 week pregnancy and I am bit confuse regarding food cause doctor has asked me to avoid warm food, so please tell me can I have chicken. I had my first pregnancy miscarriage and now this is my first pregnancy again so I am very much concerned. please help me to maintain my healthy pregnancy by advising proper food.
Meri shadi ko 5 saal hogaye hai per abtak 1 baar bhi pregnancy nahi hui hai sari report bhi normal hai please help me.
As experience teaches us, 'sin is indeed tempting'. You are aware of the ways in which your health and quality of life would improve and similarly attentive to factors that can harm your biological system and yet you give in to the trap of temptation. Not just once, but repeatedly. Processed food can be extremely injurious to your general health.
A huge mass of people have processed food items after being familiar with its ill effects. The reason propelling them to do so is perhaps the good taste and easy accessibility of these kinds of food. They live up to your cravings at odd hours and are extremely satisfying.
Kinds of processed food you generally intake:
- Snacks to savor: Binge eating can make you have some of the savory snacks. In the middle of the night, you might want to munch on chips, flavored and coated nuts or on microwave popcorn. These packed snacks may have dangerous effects on a person's health and hence, should be avoided.
- Processed meat: Bacon, salami or corned beef should be strictly kept away from as they include the threat of artificial hormones.
- Veggies in a tin: Tinned or canned vegetables could be a feasible option in your fast paced life, but it clearly is not good for your health.
- Carbonated drinks: Carbonated drinks are enjoyable but they do interfere with a person's physical fitness.
- Instant noodles, soups or other meals: Ready mixes and packed noodles seem to be a simple way of making tiffin or an evening snack, but the health hazards they cause should alarm you. Processed food items such as these can lead to cancer as well.
Natural food substitutes that can be equally gratifying:
- Boiled potatoes sprinkled with cucumber, tomatoes, chili flakes and salt should always be preferred over potato chips.
- Consume fruits, especially citrus fruits regularly. Try to maintain a safe distance from packaged fruit juices as they contain preservatives and a great deal of sugar.
- Tofu that is made from soya is high in nutrients and should be a great substitute for chicken nuggets.
- One can deal with his or her cravings for mayonnaise by switching to hummus. Though the two food items don't taste the same, hummus doesn't contain animal fat that is actually harmful when stored or preserved.