Find numerous Oncologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Oncologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Oncologists online in Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Veda Padma Priya
Treatment of Cancer
Treatment of Breast Cancer
Treatment of Tumors
Treatment of Testicular Cancer
Treatment of Blood Cancer
Treatment of Brain Tumor
Treatment of Lung Cancer
Treatment of Colon Cancer
Treatment of Cancer Pain
Treatment of Oral Cancer
Treatment of Prostate Cancer
Treatment of Liver Cancer
Treatment of Throat Cancer
Treatment of Gastric Cancer
Treatment of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Treatment of Lymphoma
Treatment of Cervical Cancer
Treatment of Bone Tumors
Submit a review for Dr. Veda Padma PriyaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Veda Padma Priya provides answers that are knowledgeable, thorough and professional. Thank you Dr. Veda. I found your answer quite knowledgeable and relevant to my question.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Veda Padma Priya to be knowledgeable. Thank you soooooooooo much mam
To start with, it is important to understand what palliative care exactly is?
Palliative care is specialised care provided for a patient with advanced cancer to relieve them of the stress and symptoms of the same. The main aim of palliative care is to improve the quality of life for the patient as well as the family.
To treat an advanced cancer and to care for a patient with such an illness requires time and effort. Your family and doctors may not be able to offer you the necessary care when the disease is severe and life-limiting. In such cases, palliative care proves to be quite helpful to the suffering patient.
This treatment needs specialized doctors and a team of attendants who are responsible for the betterment of the patient’s moral and mental strength.
Improves your quality of life
Palliative care aims at providing relief from pain, depression, anxiety, fatigue, sleeping difficulty, constipation, nausea and loss of appetite. It will also help in dealing with the suffering and agony that one might feel due to the illness which in turn improves your quality of life.
When is it required?
Palliative care is for the patients who have been diagnosed with advanced cancer which might or might not be cured, and thus the patient has to bear the symptoms and the stress of the disease for life time.it is considered when either the treatment may mot be effective or patient may not be fit for treatment. Palliative care helps in bringing down the stress levels, in turn, reducing the symptoms of a severe disease within.
What can be expected from Palliative care?
Besides the primary medical treatment, you can opt for palliative care for the overall improvement of the patient’s life. There are medical, emotional and other practical needs of the patients which need to be addressed in the right manner and it would be prudent to let to let a specialist take care of the same. This will not only help the patient feel better but also alleviate the symptoms.
Palliative care specialists work closely with patient, their doctor and the family of the patient to provide extra support. At any given point, if you feel that any of your loved ones needs palliative care, you can discuss it with the doctor and go for it. In such difficult situation, it is best to seek help and make the life easier for both the patient and the family.
With every passing day, there are new advancements in the field of medicine, and cancer care is no exception either. A condition that still frightens the mass has come a long way in terms of cure and management. Cancer is life threatening but when diagnosed in the early stages, can be cured with proper medical intervention.
Many cancer patients experience pain which is caused as a result of the disease or as the result of the treatments for cancer. When the cancer spreads or the malignant tumor increases in size, it puts pressure on the surrounding (bones, tissues, etc.) which intrigues the pain. The cancer treatments like chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery may also cause pain in the patients.
Here is an account on managing pain during cancer.
Treatment for Cancer Pain
Cancer pain can be dull, sharp, or achy. It can be constant or intermittent and can be mild, severe, or moderate. There are several over-the-counter or prescription medicines available in the market which can reduce the pain caused by the growing tissues or the treatments/therapies. A few such pain relievers include aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen.
Treatment According to Severity
For pain which is mild or moderate, you can opt for Non-opioids which are anti-inflammatory medicines and can be bought without the prescription from the drug counters. If you are having moderate to severe symptoms of pain, then you may be prescribed opioids like hydromorphone, hydrocodone, fentanyl, etc.
For burning and tingling sensation, antidepressants like imipramine or the trazodone, etc., can provide relief. You must not confuse antidepressant with medicines for depression; these are for pain management as well. You can also opt for the antiepileptics drugs which can reduce the burning or tingling sensation of cancer and have it doesn’t refer that you get seizures. If there is swelling, then steroids are the option for you to control the swelling and the pain caused from it.
Ways to Take Medicines for Cancer Pain
Most of the medications that your doctor would prescribe you have to be taken orally if not directed otherwise. The medications are usually in the pills form. If the patient, for any reason, is not able to take the drugs orally, then he/she may have to take them as rectal suppositories and even transdermal patches.
It can also be injected into your body through an intravenous opening in which the needle with the medicine is inserted directly into the veins. There is also a subcutaneous process where the medicine is injected with a small needle just under the first layer of your skin.
Studies report that often cancer pain is under-treated. A common reason is the reluctance of the patients to speak about the pain. Other reasons for not opting for pain medications are the fear of addiction and side-effects.
Cancer pain management is indeed an important part of the cancer treatment, and the goal is to manage the pain at a bearable level. And, the best part is that the goal is often achieved.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Statistics report an approximate 38.5% of men and women are diagnosed with some type of cancer during their lifetime. Getting widely prevalent, cancer is a deadly disease. However, due to the continuous efforts in the field of medical science, several treatment methods offering positive results are on the evolve.
Scientists have made great progress in discerning the characteristics of normal and cancer cells in the bladder and also an insight into how this helps the cancer cells to grow and spread to other parts of the body. They are now trying to utilize this knowledge for developing new ways that can treat bladder cancer and others.
- Screening and diagnostic tests: The newly developed tests are now able to look for different substances in the urine that can help in finding whether there is bladder cancer. They are primarily used for diagnosing bladder cancer or to look for risks and chances of recurrence in individuals who have already been treated. Researchers are now on the way to find out whether these screening tests can help in finding out bladder cancer in people who don't exhibit any signs or symptoms.
- Surgical intervention: These days, surgeons are making use of the newer approach to cystectomy where the surgeons use robotic arms for performing the surgery. It is commonly referred to as robotic cystectomy, and it allows the surgeon to operate through small incisions in place of a single large one. It helps the patients to recover much quicker. It can also be used in other forms of cancer such as prostate cancer.
- Immunotherapy: There are immunotherapy drugs now available for treating bladder cancer. It is a treatment that uses the immune system of the body for fighting against cancer which is accomplished using substances that restore the immune system to fight the invading cancer cells effectively.
- Photodynamic therapy: Photodynamic therapy or PDT is now under study to find out whether it is useful in the treatment of early-stage bladder cancers. In this treatment, the surgeon injects a light-sensitive drug into the bloodstream. After that, a special form of laser light is concentrated to the inner lining of the bladder with the help of the cystoscope. The light alters the composition of the cancer cells which destroys itself.
- Intravesical immunotherapy: This is yet another form of immune therapy that has already been used for the treatment of other cancers. BCG is a type of intravesical therapy where a germ is injected in liquid form into the bladder. This causes an attraction of immune cells to the lining of the bladder which invariably kills the cancer cells.
- Targeted therapies: As the researchers can gather more information regarding the alterations in bladder cells which cause them to become cancerous, they are also developing the drugs which can be helpful in targeting these changes. They may be effective in conditions where other chemo drugs fail, and they lead to fewer side effects.
Thus, if you are diagnosed with bladder cancer, do not lose hope but persevere and stay positive to get cured. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!