Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. V.K.MalikYour feedback matters!
My experience is so well childhood to youngage he always cure me . thanx a lot Mr.doc.
Are there any long-term effects associated with Taking ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity Disorder) medications? If so, what are they and What medications are implicated?
My baby age s 15 weeks. How to increase breast milk pls tel me. Which month I vl start food for my baby. And which food I vl give to my baby.
Hello Drs. My 6 and half year old younger daughter is still unable to understand the normal life. As per blood test and all she used medicines like SOMAZINA, LEVIPIL, ATTENTROL AND SYP BRAINWISE ETC., FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS, PHYSICALLY SHE SO CUTE AND NOBODY CAN IMAGINE THAT SHE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND. SHE ONLY SPEAKS MUMMY, PAPA NANNI LIKE THAT. SPEECH THERAPY ALSO DONE FOR ONE AND HALF YEARS BUT NOT SATISFIED RESULT. DR TOLD SHE WAS ATTACKED BY RUBELA VIRUS. MY QUESTION IS VERY SIMPLE , THAT CAN SHE SPEAK AND CAN LIVE LIKE A NORMAL KIDS? PLS ADVISE
My child (Boy) is 2 years 6 months old. He is taking foods normal. But his weight is fixed at 10.5 kg for last one year. What to do now? Is it very very underweight?
Iron is an essential nutrient and mineral that is required by adults and children alike. Iron helps move oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body and helps muscles store and use oxygen. It is especially important for children because it aids development and prevents anaemia. Untreated iron deficiency in children can cause physical and mental delays. It can lead to less healthy red blood cells in the child's blood stream which will cause a delay in the growth of physical and mental faculties.
Risk factors for iron deficiency in children
Infants and children at highest risk of iron deficiency include:
- Babies who are born prematurely or have a low birth weight
- Babies who drink cow's milk before age 1
- Breast-fed babies who aren't given complementary foods containing iron after age 6 months
- Babies who drink formula that isn't fortified with iron
- Children ages 1 to 5 who drink more than 24 ounces (710 milliliters) of cow's milk, goat's milk or soy milk a day
- Children suffering from, Malabsorption, Chronic diarrhoea, thyroid disorders and Celiac Disease.
- Children ages 1 to 5 who have been exposed to lead
- Adolescent girls also are at higher risk of iron deficiency because their bodies lose iron during menstruation.
Symptoms of iron deficiency anaemia
The signs and symptoms of iron deficiency anaemia in children may include:
- Pale skin
- Fatigue or weakness
- Slow cognitive and social development
- Difficulty maintaining body temperature
- Increased likelihood of infections
- Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or pure starch
Prevent iron deficiency in children
Take steps to prevent iron deficiency in your child by paying attention to his or her diet. For example:
- Encourage a balanced diet. When you begin serving your baby solids, typically between ages 4 months and 6 months, feed him or her foods with added iron, such as iron-fortified baby cereal. For older children, good sources of iron include red meat, chicken, fish, beans and dark green leafy vegetables. Between ages 1 and 5, don't allow your child to drink more than 24 ounces (710 milliliters) of milk a day.
- Enhance absorption. Vitamin C helps promote the absorption of dietary iron. You can help your child absorb iron by offering foods rich in vitamin C, such as melon, strawberries, kiwi, broccoli, tomatoes and potatoes.
- Deworming: The power to kill parasites. With such tablets, we can eliminate worms in children and stop parasites from absorbing the critical nutrients a child needs to develop.
- Consider iron supplements. If your baby was born prematurely or with a low birth weight or you're breast-feeding a baby older than 4 months and he or she isn't eating two or more servings a day of iron-rich foods, talk to your child's doctor about oral iron supplements.
Don't take pallor lightly. Consult the doctor.
Make sure that you watch out for the tell tale signs of iron deficiency and take the necessary precautions to avoid the same. If you wish to discuss about any specific child related problem, you can consult a specialized pediatrician.