Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Pulmonary hypertension mainly occurs due to narrowing of the arteries of the lungs as a result of which the flow of blood is restricted. In this kind of condition, blood fails to carry oxygen to your heart and thus your heart gets adversely affected. The blood pressure of your body will get increased to a great extent if this situation remains untreated, thus leading to bdreadful consequenses, specifically situation like heart failure, serious pulmonary diseases, blood clots in lungs and congenial heart defects, etc.
There are certain forms of pulmonary hypertension, which are serious in nature and worsen with time, so much so that they are even fatal at times. It also includes forms which are non curable in nature, however, in order to improve the quality of life, symptoms can be reduced with proper treatment. The treatment for pulmonary hypertension is often complex and it takes some time to find the most appropriate treatment and requires extensive follow-up care. Your doctor might also need to change your treatment if it's no longer effective. However, when pulmonary hypertension is caused by another condition, your doctor will treat the underlying cause whenever possible.
Common Treatments for pulmonary hypertension:
- Blood vessel dilators (vasodilators): Vasodilators open narrowed blood vessels. They are one of the most commonly prescribed vasodilators for pulmonary hypertension is epoprostenol (Flolan, Veletri). The drawback to epoprostenol is that the effect lasts only for few minutes. This drug is continuously injected through an intravenous (IV) catheter via a small pump that you wear in a pack on your belt or shoulder.
- Ventavis: Another form of the drug, iloprost (Ventavis), can be inhaled six to nine times a day through a nebulizer, a machine that vaporizes your medication. Because it's inhaled, it goes directly to the lungs.
- Treprostinil (Tyvaso, Remodulin, Orenitram): It is another form of the drug, which can be given four times a day and can be inhaled or can be taken as an oral medication and can also be administered through injection.
- Endothelin receptor antagonists: These medications reverse the effect of endothelin, a substance in the walls of blood vessels that causes them to narrow. These drugs may improve your energy level and symptoms. However, these drugs shouldn't be taken if you're pregnant. Also, these drugs can damage your liver and you may need monthly liver monitoring.
- Sildenafil and tadalafil: Sildenafil (Revatio, Viagra) and tadalafil (Cialis, Adcirca) are sometimes used to treat pulmonary hypertension. These drugs work by opening the blood vessels in the lungs to allow blood to flow through more easily.
- High-dose calcium channel blockers: These drugs help relax the muscles in the walls of your blood vessels. They include medications, such as amlodipine (Norvasc), diltiazem (Cardizem, Tiazac, others) and nifedipine (Procardia, others). Although calcium channel blockers can be effective, only a small number of people with pulmonary hypertension respond to them.
- Soluble guanylate cyclase (SGC) stimulator: Soluble guanylate cyclase (SGC) stimulators (Adempas) interact with nitric oxide and help relax the pulmonary arteries and lower the pressure within the arteries. These medications should not be taken if you're pregnant. They can sometimes cause dizziness or nausea.
- Anticoagulants: Your doctor is likely to prescribe the anticoagulant warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) to help prevent the formation of blood clots within the small pulmonary arteries. Because anticoagulants prevent normal blood coagulation, they increase your risk of bleeding complications. Take warfarin exactly as prescribed, because warfarin can cause severe side effects if taken incorrectly. If you're taking warfarin, your doctor will ask you to have periodic blood tests to check how well the drug is working. Many other drugs, herbal supplements and foods can interact with warfarin, so be sure your doctor knows all of the medications you're taking.
- Digoxin: Digoxin (Lanoxin) can help the heart beat stronger and pump more blood. It can help control the heart rate if you experience arrhythmias.
- Diuretics: Commonly known as water pills, these medications help eliminate excess fluid from your body. This reduces the amount of work your heart has to do. They may also be used to limit fluid buildup in your lungs.
- Oxygen: Your doctor might suggest that you sometimes breathe pure oxygen, a treatment known as oxygen therapy, to help treat pulmonary hypertension, especially if you live at a high altitude or have sleep apnea. Some people who have pulmonary hypertension eventually require continuous oxygen therapy.
- Atrial Septostomy: If medications don't control your pulmonary hypertension, this open heart surgery might be an option. In an atrial septostomy, a surgeon will create an opening between the upper left and right chambers of your heart (atria) to relieve the pressure on the right side of your heart.
- Lung Transplantation: In some cases, a lung or heart lung transplant might be an option, especially for younger people who have idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- The complications need to be reduced by taking proper health care. Healthy diet needs to be taken regularly along with proper medications. Smoking should be stopped and exercising sessions should be attended daily without any fail
- Overweight or obesity needs to be controlled properly for reducing the complications. Specialized caring strategies need to be maintained for avoiding severe kinds of health complications that are quite annoying.
Mam I was breastfeeding my son. Now I stopped it. My breasts are sagging how to make it normal. If I wear tight bra will it become normal?
I'm 17. My breasts become sore an they hurt alot and half before my periods and the soreness lasts till my periods start. Is it okay?
During sex when I enter penis into vagina she says her vagina is burning due to intercourse some time. Please help me.
I would like ask one thing that my wife is pregnant now and I would like to do sex with her and even she also asking me to do that so is it safe to baby if am doing this with wife.
My wife have due pregnancy Last month January how can start her pregnancy any Medicine tell me name.
Hi doctor, I'm 27 years old female. I'm trying to get pregnant since 6 months. I have regular cycle of 26 days. These time I did not get my period. On day 30 I had pregnancy strip test at home. It was negative. Still I did not get my period.. Should I consult doctor. Or should I wait until next period.
1) avoid sitting on floor.
2) avoid too much of climbing and going down the stair case
3) avoid using indian toilet style.
I took a unwanted 72 last month I had 2 days periods after that . I did my home pregnancy test recently it came negative but I am not having any periods . I am 5 days late from my periods days when can I expect my next periods please tell me.
I am 36 yrs old women I have my monthly period for 2 or 3 days Pls is it safe or pls suggest me medicines to it.
Browsing on the phone before you sleep can potentially cause serious damage to your health. According to studies the side effects can be far reaching and detrimental for your overall health. It can disrupt your sleep and contributes to several complications like heart diseases, obesity, etc.
Following are the bad effects of browsing on the phone before bed:
- Browsing on the phone till late in the night affects your sleeping pattern and deprives your body from the rest it requires. Loss and lack of sleep significantly contributes to various health problems like poor sleep, depression, stroke, cardiovascular problems, obesity etc.
- Staring at a bright screen for a long time before sleeping can slow down the activity of neurons that make you sleepy, thereby, keeping you in a state of wakefulness. Staring at artificial lights suppresses melatonin, the sleep hormone, which affects the sleep wake cycle of your body.
- Browsing on the phone before sleep also takes a toll on your eyes. It can cause serious damage to your eyes if you make a habit out of it. You can see visible signs if you wake up with dark circles in the morning and feel tired and lousy. Looking at brightly lit screen for a long time especially in the dark puts a lot of strain in your eyes and also affects mental health.
- Browsing on the phone till late in the night will make it difficult for you to wake up on time. The light on your cell phone affects your sleep, which can even trigger insomnia. Lack of sleep affects your alertness and concentration level and makes you feel drowsy and exhausted.
Related Tip: "Get better sleep"