Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Urvashi Jha
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Urvashi JhaYour feedback matters!
Anything in excess is bad for the body. The same goes with iron, which is believed to be essential for various functions.
Hereditary hemochromatosis (HHC) is a hereditary condition where the way the body absorbs and stores iron are affected, leading to excessive iron deposits in various internal organs and leading to multiple complications. Read on to know more about this condition.
Causes: HHC is caused by the mutation (alteration) of a gene that controls the amount of iron absorbed into the body. A hormone called hepcidin is secreted by the liver and controls iron absorption and storage. In HHC, the role of hepcidin is altered, leading to excess amounts of iron absorption and storage in various major organs, especially the liver. Over time, this excess iron can cause conditions like diabetes, cirrhosis, and heart failure.
Risk Factors: The condition runs in families, and if you have a family member with known HHC, the chances of having HHC are quite high. Though the disease develops right at birth, symptoms manifest only later in life, at about 50-plus years of age. Men who carry two copies of the mutated gene and hail from Northern Europeans are more prone to develop HHC.
Symptoms: There are no specific symptoms pointing to HHC in the early stages, and these include joint pains, abdominal pain, fatigue, and weakness. Over a period of time, these can lead to associated symptoms of conditions like cirrhosis, heart failure, impotence, diabetes, etc.
Diagnosis: Blood tests are done to diagnose the amount of iron in the system. Fasting transferrin saturation and serum ferritin are two important tests, and increased transferrin saturation is very indicative of HHC. In addition, liver function tests are done to check the extent of liver damage. MRI examination also will help identify the areas of iron overload and extent of liver damage (if any). Liver biopsy can help identify iron overload and liver damage. Gene mutation tests are also useful in confirming the condition.
Depending on the excessive amount of iron deposited, phlebotomy which requires removal of iron is advised. About 400 to 500 mL of blood can be removed once a week or in two weeks.
From a prevention point of view, hepatitis A and B vaccines should be given.
In very severe cases, liver transplantation could be considered.
Monitor for other symptoms like diabetes, cirrhosis and liver failure.
In addition, once the diagnosis is confirmed and phlebotomy initiated, iron levels should be monitored periodically to ensure it is not exceeding the desired levels. This can help in the prevention of complications, which are more causes for concern than the actual HHC condition per se. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.
I am 27 years, I am PCOD, I had my dates 2 months back, during dates I had safe sex. I took 5 days regestrone 5 mg 2 tablets in 1 day. Today is 2nd day after I stopped my tablet. Still I am not getting dates. I took home pregnancy test 2 times. It says negative.
My wife is in pregnancy of 8 months she's B-ve blood group her child is normal but child is covered with cord around the neck and doctor recommend may for operation .Is there any danger for mother during Operation or in delivery of child can you please help me out what is the exact procedure I have to follow next ? THANKS.
Doctor I got intimated one week ago Just 1 day after my periods We did not used any protection Within 24 hours I consumed an ipill Now after one week Im bleeding but not like as I always bleed Thick lining is coming out Blood is not coming only some kind of thick lining is coming out Can you please help me I can become pregnant or not I do not know what to do.
40 days I did not get period its conform im pregnant but we r not planning baby for right now. I took 5 mensil n tablet but no reaction. Is ter any solution for this.
Every married couple undergoes relationship troubles, but these troubles should not linger for a long time otherwise you might end up facing dreadful consequences. If you want to save your married life by maintaining a smooth relation with your partner, then you have to look for the best solutions that can resolve marital issues.
How to manage marital relationships?
- Maintaining Trust: Since trust is the base of every relationship, therefore you should make special efforts in maintaining the same. Unresolved issues should be resolved quickly and there should be transparent communication between the married couples. Some of the special qualities that should be maintained in order to maintain trust within a marital relationship in long run are being on time, consistency, being sensitive towards feelings, avoiding lies, sharing feelings, respecting partner's feelings, avoiding jealousy and others.
- Healthy Communication: If the problems remain unresolved, then more and more conflicts will be invited. Have open discussions and clear up your points so that confusions can be eliminated. If you make efforts in understanding the real causes, then only the problems can be resolved. You need to put yourself in the shoes of the partner and understand where the person is coming from. Most conflicts occur because we only see our view points and not that of others.
- Giving time to the relationship: You can maintain your marital relationship in a healthy state only by considering the married life as the prior issue. Keep your marriage above every other social thing and then only relationship can be made secured. Give time for repairing all dubs and defects of your relationship. In this case, you can also take the help of any expert counsellor. Spend some quality time with each other so that the warmth of your relationship can be maintained.
- Tackling monetary problems: Do not allow any conflict to come into your relationship just because of a pathetic financial condition. It is important for both the partners to put-in efforts in saving money so that monthly expenses can be kept under strict control. A perfect budget needs to be scheduled so that financial strength can be restored. If you are incapable of catering financial support, support your partner at least mentally so that he can come out of the financial trouble as soon as possible.
- Maintain a Happy Sexual Life: Create a proper schedule for lovemaking in order to maintain a healthy sex life. You should try to know the sexual needs of your partner so that you can fulfil the expectations. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.