Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Laser Cataract Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Sushil KumarYour feedback matters!
I am suffering from eye problem I got itching and redness and getting water from eyes please suggest me some medicine for fix it.
One of the most common ailments that affect elders the most is cataract. Cataract develops gradually and can occur in one or both eyes and if not treated in time can cause blindness. Most cataracts are not visible to the naked eye, but in some cases, a dense cataract can make the pupil appear white. A cataract can be defined as a dense, cloudy build up of protein masses on the eye lens. This obstructs the light falling on the retina and does not allow the retina to form a clear image.
Advancing in age is one of the most common causes of cataracts. Along with this, there are several other factors that play a role in the development of cataracts as well. These include smoking,exposure to ultraviolet radiation, long term use of steroids, trauma, radiation therapy and diabetes. Anything that triggers an overproduction of chemically altered oxygen molecules in the body can increase your risk of suffering from this condition. Hypertension and a family history of cataracts can also put you at a higher risk of developing cataracts. Poor nutrition or a diet that is deficient in antioxidants can also put you at a high risk of suffering from this condition.
Cataracts can be categorized on the basis of where and how they develop in the eye. This categorization is based on location:
- Nuclear Cataract: These develop in the middle of the lens and turn the center of the eye yellow. Nuclear cataracts are typically associated with aging.
- Cortical cataract: These develop around the edges of the nucleus and are wedge shaped. Gradually, spokes emitted from these wedges work themselves towards the center of the eye.
- Posterior capsular cataract: These are among the faster growing cataracts and develop at the back of the lens.They are also known as subcapsular cataracts. Cataracts triggered by diabetes or the prolonged use of steroids usually fall in this category.
Categorization based on how they develop:
- Congenital cataract: These are present at birth or develop within the first year of a baby's life. Congenital cataracts are rare.
- Secondary cataract: These are triggered as a side effect of medications or diseases like glaucoma and diabetes. Prolonged use of steroids like prednisone can also lead to the development of such cataracts.
- Traumatic cataract: Cataract that is developed as a result of an injury to the eye is known as traumatic cataracts. They have a very slow rate of development.
- Radiation cataract: It develops as a side effect of radiation therapy used to treat cancer.
If I wear a eyeglasses or spectacles it will reduce my nearsightedness? Prescription Right Eye:- Spherical = -0.75, Cylindrical = OK, Axis = OK Left Eye:- Spherical = -0.25, Cylindrical = -0.50, Axis = 180 Can I reduce this number by wearing eyeglasses or spectacle?
I am unable to see of long distance my eyes has become week I am 17 year old girl can I get lens for eyes. Lens will harm eyes?
An inflammation resulting in the formation of a thin layer inside the eyelids or the white part of the eyeball is known as pink eye or conjunctivitis. This condition turns the eye ball into pinkish color, hence the name. Based on the severity of the infection, either one or both eyes get affected.
What are the common symptoms?
- Medium to heavy swelling of the eye
- Eye crusting after sleep
- A burning sensation
- Irritation, itching or blurred vision
- Redness and increased sensitivity of the eye
Different kinds of conjunctivitis:
- Allergic Conjunctivitis: This is the type of conjunctivitis that results from eye irritants such as animal dander, dust particles and pollen. This is not infectious in nature. Treatment prescribed by ophthalmologist includes eye drops and non-steroidal medications. It is advised to keep the eye moist till it gets cured.
- Viral Conjunctivitis: As the name suggests, this kind of conjunctivitis is caused due to a viral attack. Sadly though, antibiotics don’t work and there is no particular medication for this type of conjunctivitis. Like common cold, viral conjunctivitis runs its course in a span of 1-2 weeks. Since virus is contagious, it is necessary to ensure that the microbes don’t spread. Some common prevention measures are listed below:
- Eye cosmetics should be abandoned till the conjunctivitis is cured
- Hands should be frequently cleaned
- Hand and eyes should not be in contact
- Frequent change of pillow covers, towels and clothes
- Swimming should be completely avoided
- Spectacles in place of lens should be used until advised otherwise by a medical practitioner
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis: This kind of conjunctivitis is caused by the streptococcal bacteria and has potential to cause real damage if proper medication is not taken on time. This is highly contagious. Prescription often includes antibiotic drop and ointments. The medication is prescribed for 2-3 weeks depending on the level of bacterial spread in the eye. It is very essential to complete the full course of medication to avoid recurrence. Prevention measures as stated above should be strictly followed.
- Chemical conjunctivitis: Eye irritants such as chlorine cause this conjunctivitis. Frequent swimmers often get affected by this type of eye infection. Topical steroids are prescribed to cure this kind of infection. Immediate medical attention is required to avoid lasting injury to the eye.
How to prevent pink eye?
While prevention is the best way to refrain from conjunctivitis, some basic hygiene checks are very important. Here is a list of must do’s:
- Do not share personal items such as combs, towels and toiletries.
- Stay away from a conjunctivitis infected patient
- Using of goggles while swimming
- Frequent usage of hand sanitizer and hand wash