Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Supriya Bali
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Supriya BaliYour feedback matters!
Hi I'm 24 recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I checked my blood test of hba1C MY range was 9.7 and very next day again I checked my blood test the fasting sugar levels are 184 and post lunch it was 287 and I approached doctor and he gave me tablet called Glicalz -M I'm taking before 15 mins of my breakfast .and I maintained strict diet and after 10 days I went for blood test again my sugar levels are 120 before breakfast and after breakfast it is 147. Can any one suggest me if I maintain same diet and exercise can I stop taking medicines? Please help me. Because what I read is 120 before breakfast and 147 after breakfast is called prediabetes So prediabetes can be overcome with change in diet and regular exercise so please help me can I stop taking Glicalz-m.
What is osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a disease concerning the bones. Decreased strength of the bones poses a risk for them to break. Osteoporosis is very common among older people, whose bones become brittle with age. The most common bones affected by this disease include the backbone, forearm bones and the hip bone. There are no such symptoms until a broken bone occurs. The bones weaken to such an extent that a break may happen in case of very minor stress. Usually, a broken bone is followed by chronic pain and the disability to perform daily activities. Surveys show that 15% of white people in their 50s and 70% of white people in their 80s are affected by osteoporosis.
What are the common causes and symptoms of osteoporosis?
- May occur due to the lowering of the 'peak bone mass index'.
- In women, bone loss increases after menopause stage due to lowering down of estrogen level.
- Also occurs because of another disease or previous treatments. This includes alcoholism, surgical ovary removal, hyperthyroidism, anorexia or any form of kidney disorder.
- Anti-seizure medicines, chemotherapy, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and taking of performance-enhancing drugs like steroid increase the bone loss rate.
- Lack of regular exercise may lead to osteoporosis.
- Osteoporosis is defined as a 'bone density of 2.5 standard deviations below than that of a young adult'.
- Osteoporosis is hereditary in nature. People having a family history of osteoporosis are at a high risk of getting the disease.
- More than thirty genes are linked with osteoporosis development.
- If you have had a fracture before, you are at a risk of a repeat.
- Early menopause in women is also responsible for osteoporosis.
- People with a small structure and body build are at a risk of getting osteoporosis.
- Protein and vitamin deficiency makes your bones weak and makes you vulnerable to osteoporosis.
- Phosphoric acid present in soft drinks is another threat, which may cause the disease.
- People suffering from malnutrition are likely to get osteoporosis.
- Over replacement of L-Thyroxine may lead to osteoporosis.
- Use of heparin and warfarin for a long time decreases the bone density.
How can Osteoporosis be prevented?
The best way to avoid getting osteoporosis in the future is to maintain a preventive lifestyle.
- Exercise regularly
- Indulge in natural calcium sources
- Maintain intake of vitamin D and K
- Do not smoke and consume alcohol
- Don't undertake stressful physical activities
- Go for regular health checkups
- Stay fit and stay away from obesity
Osteoporosis is a disease you must stay away from. It leaves you physically incapable and unfit.