Lybrate.com has top trusted General Surgeons from across India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sunil VarmaYour feedback matters!
Hello doctors! I have a lump right underneath my sternum. It has light pain when I push on it. Could this be a hiatus hernia? Please help! I also have pelvic pain. Thank you!
Sir, when I am sucking my wife's breast milk is coming. Already we have children but they are above 10 years. What to do. Can I drink the milk. Please help me in regarding to.
Hello I 25 year old and my whole body me small small Dane hai or unme khujali hoti hai or khujlate 2 unse blood nikal aata hai or mere hath mai small small Dane hai or name pani (water) sa nikal hai or khujali hati hai Ye sub mere bete (son) 14 month old ko bhi same problems hai. Please give me some idea like tablet any cream How can I get out this energy. My son 14 month old. Thanks sir/mem.
Dear Doctors, is is possible that breast mass and breast cyst (filled with water) both present at a time in one or both breasts?
From 12 years I have dark spot (dark circles) under my eyes I did take medicines many time before 8 years but no profit. But in these past 8 years I didn't take any medicine coz doctors says it will be fine according to your age. Now I'm 18 years old but they still same dark circle. Please tell me any treatment, ointment, tube, gel,tab. Etc.
I used to go many times out in the day and due to it my skin has became dark. What should I do to make it fair?
I am 34 years old and I am suffering from fungal disease for last 2 years. I have consulted many doctors but no works.
I do regular exercise around one hour a day. In a gym. The problem is only my face look darker. I used tretin. Cream for a month. But there is no use still my face black like sun burn. Compare to neck But till 3 month I do not expose to sun. please advice me. What to do. I drink a lot water.
Sir, i'm a fit guy taking proper diet, doing regular exercises and take rest for over 7-8 hr even I drink lots of water in a day but still there is dark circle on my eyes? Give some suggestion and how can I cure it in a natural way.
I am feeling too much weakness now a days, and I also have dark circles under my eyes and also I have pain under my eyes. So please suggest me what should I do.
I have boils, doctor told me to use t bact, which is not available in the market at all. Which cream can I use as its substitute.
A common skin condition which causes the discoloration of your skin in patches across the face, melasma is more of a social embarrassment and cause for distress rather than being a serious condition. Although it affects men as well, studies have shown that over 90 percent of patients are women. It is also known as the mask of pregnancy as many pregnant women develop this skin condition.
Causes of Melasma
Primary causes of melasma have been attributed to various hormonal changes within the body. Let's look at some of the factors that may cause this disorder:
- Pregnancy - This is often attributed as the leading cause of melasma, the primary cause has often been attributed to hormonal changes that a woman may experience due to pregnancy.
- Treatments that may change hormonal balance - Women on contraceptive pills or who have implants such as intrauterine devices may also develop this disorder. This is due to the balance of estrogen and progesterone being changed within the body.
- Sun exposure - Continued sun exposure may also lead to melasma. This is due to the activation of melanocytes within the body which start producing more melanin.
- Stress - Long periods of stress on the body can also trigger hormonal changes and cause melasma.
- Thyroid problems - If someone suffers from Hypothyroidism or low levels of the thyroid hormone, it can trigger other hormonal changes and also cause this skin disorder.
It has also been noticed that people with generally a darker skin tone tend to get melasma and it is less common in people with fairer skin.
Certain Characteristics of Melasma
Melasma develops in certain patterns which can be easily diagnosed either as spots on the skin similar to freckles or brown patches of skin that grow bigger. Some of these patterns are:
- Malar pattern - This grows on the nose and cheeks
- Mandibular pattern - Starts growing around the jaw line
- Brachial melasma - This grows on the upper arms and shoulders
- Lateral cheek pattern - Grows on the cheek on both sides of the face
- Centrofacial pattern - Nose, upper lips, forehead and cheeks
Treatment of Melasma
Most women who develop melasma during pregnancy report that it goes away after childbirth. However certain forms of melasma may appear in non-pregnant women due to hormonal changes. Treating the underlying hormonal changes usually resolves the problem. However certain other methods may be required to resolve the issues such as skin creams, chemical peels, dermabrasion and microdermabrasion.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!