Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sudershan De
Submit a review for Dr. Sudershan DeYour feedback matters!
Prostate cancer patients with an unhealthy, high-fat diet have a significantly higher risk of death from the disease, a new study suggests.
?There is currently very little evidence to counsel men living with prostate cancer on how they can modify their lifestyle to improve survival. Our results suggest that a heart-healthy diet may benefit these men by specifically reducing their chances of dying of prostate cancer,?
?Diets high in animal fat and low in fiber are associated with metabolic syndrome ? a collection of conditions including abdominal obesity, elevated blood sugar levels and high blood pressure,?said Dr. Michael Schwartz, a urologist at the Arthur Smith Institute for Urology in New Hyde Park, N.Y.
?It has been known for some time that this type of diet can elevate risk of diabetes, heart attack, stroke and various cancers,? he said.
Now, ?this study provides evidence for what many of us have for years been telling our patients with prostate cancer ? or patients who are interested in prostate cancer prevention,? Schwartz said.
He added that the anti-cancer effects of exercise might play a role as well, in that men in the study who ate healthier might also have exercised more.
The research was published online June 1 in the journal Cancer Prevention Research.
Hello doctor, I am having a burning or may be acidity from my stomach to my throat and sometimes in my chest, sometimes when I breath deep I feel someone is stretching my veins in my chest, and I feel some kind of lumps is there in my throat, I am having this for 4 days. I use to smoke a little, but was a heavy smoker for 3 years like 10 cigarettes on an average in past but now 1 or 2 on a daily basis, should I be worried of cancer or something, am nervous and can't sleep please help me out doctor. Thanks a lot in advance.
I am 22 year old girl m a virgin. Is it normal not to have nipples that do not stick out? My nipple come out only when I feel cold.
I have mild prostate enlightenment with residual flood. With mild pain in lower abdomen constipation low urine flow my Dr. Prescribed me medicine. Orni o, rabemac ls, alfatam 0.4, syrup smuth. But not so effective is there any other good medicine? and all other tests are normal i'm just 40 years old don't have any other diseases. Dr. Says there is no need of opration pls suggest me proper n fast effective medicines pls thanxx.
I smoke 1 time in a day it is good for me I now that smoking will cause cancer but I smoke 1 ciggrate in a day.
One of the most common problems faced by ageing men is benign prostatic hypertrophy. Prostate is the gland at the base of the urethra near the bladder and when it enlarges it can lead to symptoms, mostly related to urination.
1. Frequent urge to pass urine
2. Prolonged urination
3. Frequent nocturnal visits to the toilet
4. Intermittent urination
5. Difficulty to start urinating
6. Inability to completely empty the bladder
7. Urinary tract infections
There are medications available to manage this, but offer only temporary relief. Many men therefore prefer to have the surgery undergone to manage these bothersome symptoms. However, like any surgery, the risks and benefits need to be considered along with other conditions like age, overall health status, other comorbid conditions, etc.
1. Patients who do not respond to medications
2. Presence of blood in the urine
3. Associated bladder stones
4. Frequent infections of the urinary tract
5. Associated damage to the kidneys
Procedure of Surgery
During the procedure, a tube is passed through the tip of the penis into the urethra towards the bladder neck. Once it is in the desired position, laser is passed through it to deliver energy that acts on the prostate to either completely or partially destroy it. There are two methods by which laser acts on the enlarged prostate and making way for free flow of the urine.
1. Ablation: Excess prostate tissue is melted away by the laser by using photosensitive vaporization of the prostate. This is also known as Greenlight laser therapy or KTP laser vaporization. Alternately, Holmium can be used as the source of laser energy to ablate the prostate tissue.
2. Enucleation: Excess prostate tissue is cut and teased out through the urethra. Holmium laser is used to resect the prostate into smaller pieces, which are then removed out through a resectoscope. Another technique uses a tissue morcellator which grinds the enlarged prostate into smaller pieces to enable easy retrieval.
More men now opt for laser prostate removal as it has the following advantages:
1. Reduced risk of bleeding: This becomes essentially important in patients who are on blood thinners.
2. No hospitalization: This can be done either as an outpatient or with minimal one day stay at the hospital
3. Immediate symptom relief: As compared to medications, the relief is felt almost immediately after the surgery
4. No catheter: With laser surgery, a catheter may be required for less than 24 hours unlike in open surgical cases.
As noted above, as with any surgery, once enlarged prostate symptoms set in, have a detailed discussion with your doctor to identify if you are a suitable candidate for laser surgery.